Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Insurrectionist posted:

When we're talking about Elves, I'm having a hard time conceptualizing how Eltharion's city mechanics are gonna work. I mean...am I the only one who never experiences their capital getting assaulted, ever, in any game? Due to a combination of high-level settlement with good garrison/walls discouraging the AI, its placement in my empire, and probably general carefulness on my part I don't know if I've ever even fought a battle in my capital in TWW before. So I'm kinda just struggling to visualize how the whole thing is supposed to work practically speaking.

Happens all the time in the Vortex campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

sassassin posted:

Happens all the time in the Vortex campaign.

Eltharion and Grim don't have the Vortex mechanics, thankfully.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Sounds like they are filling in that huge swamp around the pillar of bone east of Gor Gazan. I always thought they’d do that when adding ogres! Shows what I know.

e: also does Eltharion sound like Henry Cavill to anyone else

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 7, 2020

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I mean, they'll probably just set it up that you know you're going to get attacked in your capital on a regular basis in his campaign, right? Like how they do for that huntsman and getting attacked or the default mode for the vortex campaign factions.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

When we're talking about Elves, I'm having a hard time conceptualizing how Eltharion's city mechanics are gonna work. I mean...am I the only one who never experiences their capital getting assaulted, ever, in any game? Due to a combination of high-level settlement with good garrison/walls discouraging the AI, its placement in my empire, and probably general carefulness on my part I don't know if I've ever even fought a battle in my capital in TWW before. So I'm kinda just struggling to visualize how the whole thing is supposed to work practically speaking.

I would assume his Vortex equivalent campaign will lead to scenarios where the capital is assaulted.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I like how I was thinking "I guess the movie references are done" since I couldn't place anything in the Shadow and Blade trailer, and then this new DLC comes out and it pays homages to two fuckin' movies. poo poo's great.

That scrap mechanic also sounds badass, both LO and SFO have been doing a form of specialized unit upgrades that can give them capabilities beyond their normal use, and it becoming a vanilla mechanic means they can now use official code as a framework and possibly iterate on it more.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 7, 2020

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Apparently the Shadow and the Blade trailer was meant to be Troy.

Which y'know, shows how much of a cultural impact that movie has had today :v:

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
So there's 33 DLC/FLC for Warhammer 2, and... 13 for Warhammer 1? They really should make an all-in-one "complete edition" soon, I know some people that feel like they can't get into the game at this point.

gently caress, what an exciting patch. I'm pretty amazed at how much better this game is getting (Potion of Speed patch being a huge factor) and I really hope they don't introduce any game breaking bugs.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah, they need to make it obvious that one shouldn't buy all the DLC because people think you need to have DLC to get the full experience when all it does is let you play with the DLC stuff yourself. Otherwise the DLC content is still there in the game, either as friends or foes. People rightfully assume DLC usually gates content but that's not how it really works in Total War.

That said, I'm also sure a company won't be like "don't buy our DLC" so :v:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Chocobo posted:

gently caress, what an exciting patch. I'm pretty amazed at how much better this game is getting (Potion of Speed patch being a huge factor) and I really hope they don't introduce any game breaking bugs.

This is "working at home because of quarantine" CA, I imagine the QA is going to be worse than normal.

Not criticising, it's an effect of the times, I'm just saying I'm going in expecting it to be extremely buggy (I mean they had to roll back a 3K patch because it broke the game).

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

Still looks like mister bean.

Shut your SLUT MOUTH ABOUT ALITH "I macked on your mother" ANAR.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Blooming Brilliant posted:

This is "working at home because of quarantine" CA, I imagine the QA is going to be worse than normal.

Not criticising, it's an effect of the times, I'm just saying I'm going in expecting it to be extremely buggy (I mean they had to roll back a 3K patch because it broke the game).

Hope for the best, expect the worst.

Alith Anar is the best Elf.

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 7, 2020

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Neuronyx posted:

The Suite Life of Alith Anar & Cody.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
just by putting all their FLC into a single DLC and charging like $5 they could probably make boatloads from all the people like me who can't loving stand trying to install all of these different FLCs and having to start the game and quit every single time and uuuuuuuugh

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Why would QA be any different with people working from home?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Insurrectionist posted:

Playing Orion, I lost my capital to a rebellion army when I moved my army way too far away. :dawkins101:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Insurrectionist posted:

What Ravenfood said, and I have a hunch it is going to be a city mechanic similar to how Coves and Under Cities work in that the city will function like a normal city, but it will have a menu you switch to in order to build the special buildings you need for his campaign objectives just like Skaven and VCoast can click the arrow to see what is in the settlement.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What Ravenfood said, and I have a hunch it is going to be a city mechanic similar to how Coves and Under Cities work in that the city will function like a normal city, but it will have a menu you switch to in order to build the special buildings you need for his campaign objectives just like Skaven and VCoast can click the arrow to see what is in the settlement.

The main reason I'm kinda questioning this is how much hate I've seen for the armies spawning to stop rituals get (I've honestly never made it far enough to make a ritual of my own in Vortex, all my long games are ME except for a Vamp Coast playthrough that obviously didn't have rituals) and this sounds suspiciously similar. Wouldn't this kinda implementation be poorly received?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Insurrectionist posted:

The main reason I'm kinda questioning this is how much hate I've seen for the armies spawning to stop rituals get (I've honestly never made it far enough to make a ritual of my own in Vortex, all my long games are ME except for a Vamp Coast playthrough that obviously didn't have rituals) and this sounds suspiciously similar. Wouldn't this kinda implementation be poorly received?

Am I wrong or are the angry lizard stacks that spawn against Wulfhart way slower than other armies? If so, Athel Tamarha's defence could be similar. That or they could be more numerous, defensive quest battles.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Insurrectionist posted:

I would hope by now that they have a better way of doing that, whether it being something like Wulfhart's mechanics or something new that will hopefully not be lovely.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Insurrectionist posted:

I think if they were just going for the one settlement then that would be better received, the thing I find annoying about the vortex ones is them going for 3 far flung settlements that I have to scramble to defend and they gently caress up other poo poo on the way.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

thebardyspoon posted:

I think if they were just going for the one settlement then that would be better received, the thing I find annoying about the vortex ones is them going for 3 far flung settlements that I have to scramble to defend and they gently caress up other poo poo on the way.

That and they usually have a handful of t4/t5 troops along with full stacks, which especially for the first one can be pain when you are struggling to get t3 ones in any appreciable amount yourself.

They actually get easier later on as you get decent stacks yourself, the last one especially.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Apparently GS will be getting Norsca-style confederation, which seems like a nice QoL change.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Anno posted:

Apparently GS will be getting Norsca-style confederation, which seems like a nice QoL change.

And it makes the most sense for the faction. Orks care about who is da biggest and da baddest, if their leader loses it makes sense they will join the winner.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Third World Reagan posted:

Looking at the flappa rules from table top, it just let them go through dangerous terrain. So I'm imagining them just giving the pump wagon strider instead of a jump ability.

Maybe it gives them an active or passive ability that prevents them from being snared?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neuronyx posted:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Private Speech posted:

That and they usually have a handful of t4/t5 troops along with full stacks, which especially for the first one can be pain when you are struggling to get t3 ones in any appreciable amount yourself.

They actually get easier later on as you get decent stacks yourself, the last one especially.

Yeah this is kinda why on my last vortex campaign i just hunkered down after taking what I wanted. Had an expedition out razing poo poo and the odd temp settlement, but aside from that its better to not try and take over the world.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Mods?

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

:stare:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

If you put him on a mount he's really good at crashing into enemy infantry;

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Greenskins get Norscan-style confederation, confirmed by CA on their forums.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Oh, hey, thoughts on what mount I should give my high elf noble hero? He's got a horse currently, but I can give him an eagle or a chariot and I'm not sure.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Give him an eagle so he can go attack walls during sieges.

Of course why you'd want to put a noble in your army when they're far better as map agents is beyond me, but he'll be a solid melee hero regardless.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Playing Orion, I lost my capital to a rebellion army when I moved my army way too far away. :dawkins101:

This is my experience with Wood Elves too. I only did two attempts and they were like this.

Turn 1. gently caress where should I go? Nothing seems like an obvious target.
Turn 2. Sit on my rear end for a few turns and wait, I know beastmen are coming.
Turn 4. gently caress it, this is boring. Let's go out and kill something.
Turn 5. Oh poo poo the tree's on fire poo poo poo poo poo poo

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Nobles are as good as a melee Lord so plenty of appeal to having them in an army. Eagle = flight, speed, siege-friendly and Chariot = cycle charging, mulch infantry. Pick what you like from there Neuro!

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I've played like hundreds of hours on this and haven't bothered with any of the overhaul mods because they seem janky and annoying. Is grimhammer any good? Are any of the overhauls an actual improvement over the base game?

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

I've played like hundreds of hours on this and haven't bothered with any of the overhaul mods because they seem janky and annoying. Is grimhammer any good? Are any of the overhauls an actual improvement over the base game?

Grimhammer's great, people in this thread seem to love Lucky's Overhaul as well.

We don't talk about Radious mod, it's poo poo and the creator is a shitlord too.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Washin Tong posted:

This is my experience with Wood Elves too. I only did two attempts and they were like this.

Turn 1. gently caress where should I go? Nothing seems like an obvious target.
Turn 2. Sit on my rear end for a few turns and wait, I know beastmen are coming.
Turn 4. gently caress it, this is boring. Let's go out and kill something.
Turn 5. Oh poo poo the tree's on fire poo poo poo poo poo poo

Playing a co-op game on mortal empires I just started murdering orks and dwarfs turn 1 while he united brettonia

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I only play it with grimhammer to be honest. I just can't enjoy the vanilla strategic balance and I also much prefer their lord skills and general faction overhauls. I also use the extra units submod for it which adds some fun bits like ghost infantry for vamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Washin Tong posted:

Grimhammer's great, people in this thread seem to love Lucky's Overhaul as well.

We don't talk about Radious mod, it's poo poo and the creator is a shitlord too.

CTT/Boyz Will Be Boyz is also good even if you don't care about tabletop rules. I certainly don't, but the changes do benefit the game.

I used to rotate between the 3 of them all the time, but I tend to just stick with SFO/Grimhammer these days. It helps that most other mods have SFO compatibility patches which is not the case for the alternative overhauls. I probably won't even play the new DLC until it's updated, which pains me greatly because it tends to take awhile.