Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Stop giving Bam power ups you stupid idiot villains!! God!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Oh boy, it's my favorite game of trying to remember how many stacking and upgraded powerups Baam has gotten. Because now we've got a real horn and not a neon horn for our red/blue oni cosplay. And I'm not going to lie, for a moment there I thought Baam might absorb a fraction of the Essence of Bravery. That can still happen but not this chapter.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I thought he had the red thryssa, when did he get a blue thryssa?

Idk I find this turn of events kind of boring

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He's a death curse, he *will* face Jahard. Anyone that gets in his way will be converted or die. If you find that boring, remember the field of dead stretching behind him from people that aren't children of prophecy. Remember Prince and Akraptor? They were cool. They died brutal deaths, because they aren't the children of prophecy and there is nothing protecting them from the consequences of their actions. The drama is what it's going to cost to move him where he's going to go.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's pretty funny Dowon's argument is exactly the thing we were discussing last page.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ubiquitus posted:

I thought he had the red thryssa, when did he get a blue thryssa?

Idk I find this turn of events kind of boring

he's had the blue thryssa the entire time its the blue demon inside him

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Baam's not walking/crawling/flying out of there without the essence of bravery. Unless maybe if he turns Kallavan into an ally. But then he'd need to be depowered a bit so maybe he leaves with the essence and an ally.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
kallavan finding out exactly what they're doing to jinsung seems most likely to make him an ally

everyone comments on the orb being a rare shinsu type but wtf is going on with karaka's or yuri's?

Jose fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 4, 2020

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
Well poo poo. I apparently had 5 spare fast pass coins, so I guess I'm back on that bandwagon. Now it's going to be hard to stop again during this arc.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jose posted:

kallavan finding out exactly what they're doing to jinsung seems most likely to make him an ally

everyone comments on the orb being a rare shinsu type but wtf is going on with karaka's or yuri's?

I mean Karaka is I guess Jahad's kid so that makes sense a little bit and who knows what goes on with the making of the princesses

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sindai posted:

It's pretty funny Dowon's argument is exactly the thing we were discussing last page.

It's still pretty abstract, though. Kallavan's talk about Zahard was also pretty abstract (and still continues to talk as though Zahard rather than Molic is the one who actually makes important decisions most of the time), although it could be setting up some interesting insights into Zahard's decision-making down the line. I think Kallavan might have actually been understating the case when he said that Zahard considers the lives of everyone except himself and the 10 Family Heads to be equal; Zahard was totally willing to kill Po Bidang Gusteau.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Jose posted:

If you have enough power and skill you can make an orb. What's rare is for the orb to be someone's natural shinsu form.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
That reminds me: way back in the floor of death, they said Rak's shape was a shield, but I have always thought it was scale. Even before he got a stone body.

I doubt dad Khun was wrong, but you never know.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Mulva posted:

He's a death curse, he *will* face Jahard. Anyone that gets in his way will be converted or die. If you find that boring, remember the field of dead stretching behind him from people that aren't children of prophecy. Remember Prince and Akraptor? They were cool. They died brutal deaths, because they aren't the children of prophecy and there is nothing protecting them from the consequences of their actions. The drama is what it's going to cost to move him where he's going to go.

I don't mind the drama.

I dislike the overused plot device of random power ups. That body has been dead for a while, and is now being defiled at an incestuous rate

There was just an intermission, it could easily have been a technique or skill he needed a dire situation to test or hone. Or even just reading the battle situation and ad-libbing

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 4, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In general martial conflicts involving Baam are the least interesting part of Tower of God. This is partly because Baam is an overpowered child of prophecy, and partly because I think SIU has had trouble figuring out how to escalate direct 1v1 battles in a way that isn't just a bunch of crazy energy blasts.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

hey girl you up posted:

That reminds me: way back in the floor of death, they said Rak's shape was a shield, but I have always thought it was scale. Even before he got a stone body.

I doubt dad Khun was wrong, but you never know.

What is a scaled body if not a bunch of shields all over you

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I completely forgot that the first time we see Hwaryun she's trying to kill Rachel. How precise was that prophecy? Did an alarm just go off in every red witch's head or something screaming that the time was NOW, RIGHT NOW, HE'S IN THE TOWER.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I wonder how much of their interaction with Rachel was pre-planned. We know she worked with Hwa Ryun in the end but we never really see how the conversation with Rachel and FUG comes about. I'm guessing Hwa Ryun's goal there was to beat up Baam, "knock him out" of the contention so they could steal him away, and Rachel being there and Baam's main character power activating threw a wrench in that basic plan and they realized the best way to get to him was through Rachel.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Remember that was the first time we saw Hwaryun, but it was not the first time Rachel saw Hwaryun. The first time they met was before the Crown Game, and possibly before the first test on the second floor as Ghost was also set to help Rachel.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
It's weird that Ghost/Akryung is such a minor character despite probably being an Irregular. I guess he'll turn out to be important in the grand scheme of things eventually, but it's easy to forget he exists for hundreds of chapters at a time.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I don't think he is an Irregular, or they wouldn't need Bam. Rachel was the technical Irregular in that test, but seems to lack the abilities they need to melt into the Thorn.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ryuujin posted:

I don't think he is an Irregular, or they wouldn't need Bam. Rachel was the technical Irregular in that test, but seems to lack the abilities they need to melt into the Thorn.

Akryung doesn't seem all that strong (at least, he lost pretty decisively to Bam), and I'm not sure if FUG even know he's an Irregular; apparently he was initially helping Rachel on orders from Headon.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Silver2195 posted:

Akryung doesn't seem all that strong (at least, he lost pretty decisively to Bam), and I'm not sure if FUG even know he's an Irregular; apparently he was initially helping Rachel on orders from Headon.

The fact that Bam's complement to him was "You're the strongest C-Rank regular I've ever seen" is pretty telling. Even if he's an irregular he's not at Baam's 'i can fight rankers' level, he's just strong for his rating.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

The fact that Bam's complement to him was "You're the strongest C-Rank regular I've ever seen" is pretty telling. Even if he's an irregular he's not at Baam's 'i can fight rankers' level, he's just strong for his rating.

He might be as strong as Bam. We simply don't know, he is one of the more mysterious figures we have seen in TOG. Before he showed up again I honestly thought that with the information revealed he only existed to fulfil headon's bargain with Rachel. However he can use that blackhole move that only irregulars are supposed to have so I lean towards him being an irregular as well.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

AtomikKrab posted:

He might be as strong as Bam.

I mean Bam destroyed him in the span of a few seconds, and his complement specifically noted his rating instead of something like 'you're strong enough to be a ranker', when Bam has up to this point fought multiple rankers (usually with help).

So I doubt he's as strong as Bam in the least, even if he's an Irregular.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
There's a couple semi-important plot points that it would be nice if someone in this thread could clarify for me (preferably citing either a strip or a blog post):

• Do we ever get an explicit reason why Khun Aguero Agnis sabotaged his full sister to help Maria become a Princess instead? The wiki says that he thought Maria was a kind person who deserved the position more than his full sister did, but I can't find an actual source for this. The flashback involving the incident in Season 1 Ep. 12 is rather confusing, but we learn that there are (unconfirmed) rumors of an incestuous relationship between Khun AA and Maria (which I guess we're just supposed to take as malicious gossip, but AA has a Byronic enough vibe to make it seem vaguely plausible). When Khun AA himself tells the story later, he makes what actually happened clearer, but pointedly omits his motivation, although the way he tells the story suggests that he was rebelling against the path in life his mother chose for him.
  • How do the immortality contracts of the Ten Family Heads and Arlene Grace work? I thought that the Family Heads were only unaging, and the immunity to being killed by an "inhabitant of the Tower" applied only to Zahard, but then we're told that Arlene tried to commit suicide but was unable to because of her immortality contract. For that matter, even if Arlene had the same contract as Zahard, shouldn't she, as an Irregular, have been able to kill herself?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Silver2195 posted:

There's a couple semi-important plot points that it would be nice if someone in this thread could clarify for me (preferably citing either a strip or a blog post):

• Do we ever get an explicit reason why Khun Aguero Agnis sabotaged his full sister to help Maria become a Princess instead? The wiki says that he thought Maria was a kind person who deserved the position more than his full sister did, but I can't find an actual source for this. The flashback involving the incident in Season 1 Ep. 12 is rather confusing, but we learn that there are (unconfirmed) rumors of an incestuous relationship between Khun AA and Maria (which I guess we're just supposed to take as malicious gossip, but AA has a Byronic enough vibe to make it seem vaguely plausible). When Khun AA himself tells the story later, he makes what actually happened clearer, but pointedly omits his motivation, although the way he tells the story suggests that he was rebelling against the path in life his mother chose for him.
  • How do the immortality contracts of the Ten Family Heads and Arlene Grace work? I thought that the Family Heads were only unaging, and the immunity to being killed by an "inhabitant of the Tower" applied only to Zahard, but then we're told that Arlene tried to commit suicide but was unable to because of her immortality contract. For that matter, even if Arlene had the same contract as Zahard, shouldn't she, as an Irregular, have been able to kill herself?

I don't think his motivation has been explained, other than some sort of admiration for Maria. He was possibly played.

As I recall, having an immortality contract includes you in the protection offered by the contract itself.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-61/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=479

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

khun.jpg

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Ya know this sniper has been doing real good at taking out high rankers

Of her own team!.

Sadly it looks like evankhell is gonna go dunk on her now.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I can appreciate the deduction they made. If the sniper wasn't limited, they'd probably be a lot more well-known because they'd be a lot more effective in actually fighting.

Hope they've got an amazing escape plan handy for when the two shots are spent though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I don't know what I'm excited for more, White getting punked or Kallavan getting punked.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Gologle posted:

I don't know what I'm excited for more, White getting punked or Kallavan getting punked.

White is gonna punk Kallavan, then Kallavan is finally going to untie his other arm.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Baam: Beats some no name, low tier test ranker after years of absurd training with several of the most powerful people in the Tower.

Khun: Orchestrates the death of a high ranker by thinking real good

Khun's actually had more tangible impact than anyone in this fight at this point. Only Evankhell taking out Elpathion is close and I think Bird dude was a bigger deal. His plan also effectively neutralizes the Sniper's capabilities, so kind of a 2 for 1. And that was enough to power up White. Who needs overpowered abilities when you've got overpowered Xanatos style plans.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 12, 2020

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I just powered through this over the last week and a half after watching the first few episodes of the show, and my brain is a bit fried now, but as a new fan I think this is what I'm supposed to post:

Rachel, you bitch...

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

She can be quite rude.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
Rachel is SUI's favorite character, and probably was treated as an untouchable because she had the job of interacting with Baam outside the Tower. I like that her irregular power is being a stone cold bitch but I kind of wish SIU would put a little more thought into writing her with more subtlety than "oh im going to press the give popular character a heart attack button now."

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I genuinely don't remember Rachel stealing Rak's chocolate at all in the webcomic, but it's such a good way to inform the audience that Rachel is terrible. Coward, liar, charlatan, thief. How dare you steal the best character's food

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
It was a banana, or yellow thing, in the webcomic. Rak apparently tried some after they were brought for Bam. Then Rachel came by to talk to Khun and asked if she could have some. So when Rak next comes by he looks for them and yells at Khun for eating all the yellow things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-62/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=480

Finally a use for those billion souls inside Bam that the story seemingly forgot about?