Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
today was a hosed up day for a dozen minor reasons all adding up, then i gave someone a smidge of advice and they said they didnt want advice so i said sorry, hung up, and punched myself a few times, and immediately got a big bruise on my forehead

https://youtu.be/vF5YniCAL_Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

got any sevens posted:

today was a hosed up day for a dozen minor reasons all adding up, then i gave someone a smidge of advice and they said they didnt want advice so i said sorry, hung up, and punched myself a few times, and immediately got a big bruise on my forehead

https://youtu.be/vF5YniCAL_Y

Hi self harm buddy

With me it ended up being a bad reaction to the busbar but it's something I did a lot as a teen as well. I understand the urge to punish yourself for a perceived unforgivable.flaw but TBH the flaw probably doesn't even exist and even if it did punishment is a pretty lousy way to teach a lesson

I know that doesn't magically make it any better but maybe some perspective will help, idk

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Finished my second to last final at 2am three beers in and listening to Springsteen. Now I'm gonna have to figure out what the gently caress I'm doing this summer

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

StashAugustine posted:

Finished my second to last final at 2am three beers in and listening to Springsteen. Now I'm gonna have to figure out what the gently caress I'm doing this summer

:same: I lied to myself saying I'd have applied for summer work by now if it weren't for covid, but I know that's not true.

Thank goodness the quarantine at least gave me some time to work on my hobbies. I may yet get a writing career off the ground. A paycheck's a paycheck.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

fosborb posted:

this is exactly where my family has been this past week

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1258201103935639552?s=19

I went through my mental breakdown during college when I dropped out. I think I just spent too much time early in the semester doing crap that didn't matter like hoarding from :files: places. Aside from that, based on later life experience, if I wanted to be able to turn everything in on time, all I needed to do was drop a course since I was above the minimum amount of credit hours. Anyway, all my self-worth at the time came from my perceived utility to society, and I didn't think I could do anything right. That changed when it stopped mattering whether I can do anything right -- if it matters to anybody, gently caress 'em -- and then I went back, I kept on trying, and I did a lot of things I wanted to do a lot better than I did before.

There was also the expectation that I was going to be homeless even at the end of college, because my Pell grant and loans barely covered my living expenses and I only got a job during my last semester, but my parents smuggled me into their retirement home so that didn't happen. We did this routine where we took the elevator to avoid people and hid in stairwells when people were coming, and I couldn't go outside for that year. The manager discovered me and made me homeless for a few days, but a laundromat owner let me sleep in the back-room for that time. Now I've got goals instead of aimlessness, and I'm reading through some books on database design and C++. I don't think anything can phase me now except for actual homelessness, and I feel all right today

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

galenanorth posted:

...and I feel all right today

:toot:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

galenanorth posted:

I went through my mental breakdown during college when I dropped out. I think I just spent too much time early in the semester doing crap that didn't matter like hoarding from :files: places. Aside from that, based on later life experience, if I wanted to be able to turn everything in on time, all I needed to do was drop a course since I was above the minimum amount of credit hours. Anyway, all my self-worth at the time came from my perceived utility to society, and I didn't think I could do anything right. That changed when it stopped mattering whether I can do anything right -- if it matters to anybody, gently caress 'em -- and then I went back, I kept on trying, and I did a lot of things I wanted to do a lot better than I did before.

lastgirl was fond of saying "meritocracy is a mental illness" and I've taken it to heart. Way, way too many of my problems have been related to "strive harder, push farther, aim for the stars" causing myself way more grief and anxiety for only a tiny bit of gain (if that).

quote:

Now I've got goals instead of aimlessness, and I'm reading through some books on database design and C++.

C++ can be rough if you're coming into OOP cold, but if you get a handle on it, you'll have a really good idea how most other languages work.

Give me a shout if you have any questions programming or programming career related. I've been doing this for way way too long and may be able to help.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is it normal to feel like poo poo all the time and constantly be on the verge of tears

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Stairmaster posted:

is it normal to feel like poo poo all the time and constantly be on the verge of tears

It is not but also not unheard of

Do you have someone you can talk to about it? Therapist is best but in a pinch a friend will do

E: or vent into the thread that's what we're here for

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Yeah it’s a normal human thing in small batches and something you can work on if it’s a constant thing. It’s not the sort of thing you always have to feel but it’s not weird if it feels like always for you right now.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I just got off the Zoom with my therapist and I didn’t think I would get the hang of the telehealth stuff but personally I’m liking not having the ritual of going into an office. I think it’s always been worth going in but it’s nice having a break from that additional stress. Also, in the waiting room clients would often put Law & Order SVU on the tv and loving yikes forever.

e: plus it feels kinda cool and subversive to see the inside of my therapist’s house

Trixie Hardcore has issued a correction as of 23:09 on May 7, 2020

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Did you have a session between 5:54 and 6:07 or are you posting while simultaneously speaking with your therapist I have to know

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I really don't know what to do with these feelings that I'm living in a failing democracy and a declining empire. It's this sort of... intellectual discomfort and implacable anxiety about things so much bigger than me or my ability to influence.

It's a strange thing.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Sjs00 posted:

Did you have a session between 5:54 and 6:07 or are you posting while simultaneously speaking with your therapist I have to know

I had a session that ended 5:30ish. I guess I meant “I recently got off the Zoom”

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Grondoth posted:

I really don't know what to do with these feelings that I'm living in a failing democracy and a declining empire. It's this sort of... intellectual discomfort and implacable anxiety about things so much bigger than me or my ability to influence.

It's a strange thing.

It me, I'm the post

The whole of goddamn America whose brains aren't butter is going through a huge existential crisis, so you're deffo not alone. Do what you can to effect change, however small, even if it doesn't work out, and then focus on what's important in your day to day life. I'm not saying it'll all come out okay but you can at least try to achieve a sense of satisfied resignation, which helps.

Remember, your hand is the same size no matter what distance it is from you, but if it's kept right in front of your face you can't see anything else. Perspective does matter. How to undo that, I don't know, other than years of work in therapy :smith::

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sjs00 posted:

My therapy is just reading posts out loud from cspam to my therapist

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
So... I've posted in here before about this... I am diagnosed as ADHD with depression and anxiety issues. I take a few meds including low dose abilify. I am worried that right now I might be having a manic episode. It feels good and I don't feel especially reckless right now but... I'm worried.

I'm doing a bunch of poo poo I don't normally do and I'm not sleeping much. Should I just call my psychiatrist tomorrow? Or maybe tonight and leave a message? Or is it more urgent than that? Should I go into work tomorrow not knowing if I might be having a manic episode? I got kinda pissy with people at work today and don't want to be worse. But tomorrow is kind of an especially important work day for me.

I'd rather not miss if i don't have to and i just called out sick this last week from food poisoning so i don't want people to think I'm faking or whatever... any advise would be appreciated...

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Is the first time you have felt manic or is there something different about the mania you are experiencing?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Is the first time you have felt manic or is there something different about the mania you are experiencing?

I have felt similar before but this seems like one of the most intense ever. I am reading this and my eyes are literally :stare: at how much it describes me
https://www.additudemag.com/adhd-vs-bipolar-a-guide-to-distinguishing-look-alike-conditions/

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
To be clear never diagnosed w bipolar in past

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I left a message for my psychiatrist to call me back tomorrow. For now I guess I will attempt to sleep

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Okay so first of all I'm not a professional and this is not professional advice but I also have ADHD and my husband is bipolar (lol) so I do have like a lot of experience with someone managing mania. Definitely call your psychiatrist tomorrow when you have time, let them know you think you might be experiencing symptoms of mania, be honest with what you're feeling so they are better able to assess where you're at and what might be best. Don't be afraid of being manic, it's just a thing your brain is doing and most people can function through an important work day while manic. Just practice any calming exercises you know and be mindful of yourself so you don't get snippy or act in a way you wouldn't want to. It's not an emergency situation unless you are experiencing other physical symptoms that make you think something medical might be wrong. If it's just mania, you'll get through it, mania can be really challenging and it can also be really fun so like don't freak out. You also might totally not be manic and are experiencing a side effect of your new med mix or just some really intense ADHD.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Oh, um don't buy a motorcycle or make any big purchases or decide to buy a motorcycle and spend all night driving to Mexico.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Okay so first of all I'm not a professional and this is not professional advice but I also have ADHD and my husband is bipolar (lol) so I do have like a lot of experience with someone managing mania. Definitely call your psychiatrist tomorrow when you have time, let them know you think you might be experiencing symptoms of mania, be honest with what you're feeling so they are better able to assess where you're at and what might be best. Don't be afraid of being manic, it's just a thing your brain is doing and most people can function through an important work day while manic. Just practice any calming exercises you know and be mindful of yourself so you don't get snippy or act in a way you wouldn't want to. It's not an emergency situation unless you are experiencing other physical symptoms that make you think something medical might be wrong. If it's just mania, you'll get through it, mania can be really challenging and it can also be really fun so like don't freak out. You also might totally not be manic and are experiencing a side effect of your new med mix or just some really intense ADHD.

Thank you, this was my gut feeling but bipolar scares me. It has a terrible reputation as far as disorders go. There's some pretty cool celebs that have/had it though so that's cool I think!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Oh, um don't buy a motorcycle or make any big purchases or decide to buy a motorcycle and spend all night driving to Mexico.

gently caress I literally bought a saxophone earlier

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I think I can afford it... maybe I should email the company... sigh

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Do you know how to play the sax?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Maybe use your manic energy to get loving sick at saxophone?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Heath posted:

Do you know how to play the sax?

Yes

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
The first thing my husband does when he feels mania coming on is give me his credit card.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Maybe use your manic energy to get loving sick at saxophone?

Tempted to run away and join circus. I asked my boyfriend earlier what he would do if I quit my job and became a musician and he said "we'd be homeless" - well played bf well played

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I actually played in a community band with a guy that played saxophone in the circus and he used to teach me the circus music ways. I played solos in my highschool marching band with no mic thanks to a plastic reed.

Sorry in advance for any annoyance at my mania, everyone. I feel slightly annoyed with myself right now but it's ok.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Also, I know bipolar has a bad rep but for most people it is manageable and is also a spectrum, not everyone is experiencing it the same way. I think part of what gives it a bad rep is that what makes it manageable varies from person to person and can take time to find that balance and you have to be flexible with management because what works can change over time. Also, it might not be the thing you are experiencing, brains are complicated and a lot of "bipolar symptoms" can overlap with other brain stuff like ADHD, the good thing is that ADHD coping techniques do help with Bipolar and vice versa.

Dixville posted:

Tempted to run away and join circus.

Don't join the circus. Like 90% of Cirque du Soliel got laid off and they were like the only circus that makes any money these days.Who the gently caress needs a sax player in their circus? If I went to the circus and someone was playing the sax I'd be so pissed off. Keep your job, I can tell you to do this for sure because I am a doctor of jobs.

e: also maybe try that sleep thing again

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Also, I know bipolar has a bad rep but for most people it is manageable and is also a spectrum, not everyone is experiencing it the same way. I think part of what gives it a bad rep is that what makes it manageable varies from person to person and can take time to find that balance and you have to be flexible with management because what works can change over time. Also, it might not be the thing you are experiencing, brains are complicated and a lot of "bipolar symptoms" can overlap with other brain stuff like ADHD, the good thing is that ADHD coping techniques do help with Bipolar and vice versa.

Don't join the circus. Like 90% of Cirque du Soliel got laid off and they were like the only circus that makes any money these days.Who the gently caress needs a sax player in their circus? If I went to the circus and someone was playing the sax I'd be so pissed off. Keep your job, I can tell you to do this for sure because I am a doctor of jobs.

e: also maybe try that sleep thing again
I found this and I am inclined to disagree
https://youtu.be/tM00X2gSrX8

I want to try to sleep but I also don't. It's odd

Edit I should stop posting before I get probed but I'll end with this. Lol reddits circus sax predicament
https://www.reddit.com/r/saxophone/comments/acpxqj/circus_music/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Dixville has issued a correction as of 08:06 on May 8, 2020

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Chokes McGee posted:

My therapy is just reading posts out loud from cspam to my therapist

lol "why do you keep yelling 'TRUMOP!' at me?"

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

thehandtruck posted:

lol "why do you keep yelling 'TRUMOP!' at me?"

"Mr McGee, I believe you have gone aphasic. You need to contact a neurologist urgently"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dixville posted:

Thank you, this was my gut feeling but bipolar scares me. It has a terrible reputation as far as disorders go. There's some pretty cool celebs that have/had it though so that's cool I think!

Hi! I have bipolar 2! It doesn't have to be terrifying and you can still be a functional adult! :)

The thing about bipolar though is that, if you have it, you absolutely need a mood stabilizer. Also you should not be taking SSRIs, they can trigger mania. Those are the two biggest ones, because the more times you go manic, the easier it is to do it in the future. That's a process that takes years upon years of being unmedicated so I'm not saying this to scare you, merely to emphasize getting on the right meds is very important. I AM NOT A DOCTOR OK but from the posts you've made alone, it sounds very much like mania.

See a doctor as soon as possible, preferably a full psychiatrist. They will know best what to try, but if given an option, I suggest lamotragene (Lamictal) first and then lithium if that doesn't work. Listen to your pdoc though and go with what they say, but be sure to emphasize what you've just described to us. More advice can also be found in the OP, I highly recommend it and not just because I spent hours getting it right

e: also I would never probe you for a mania streak unless it went to anger and you started ripping other posters or something. Mania is not a thoughtcrime.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AceOfFlames posted:

"Mr McGee, I believe you have gone aphasic. You need to contact a neurologist urgently"

"Trdufdsmp :hmmyes:"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
T-T-T-T-TRIPLE POST

For those of you looking for online help, here's an article that's a good read. The first one they list is notOK and gfd I wish I had that app two years ago. It looks like a solid and well researched list, I highly recommend checking it out.

If you do use any of these apps, please post trip reports in the thread. I don't want to treat you guys like lab rats so don't worry if you don't like any of them!! But, if enough people espouse one or more apps, I'll put them in the OP.

e: And here's some possible alternatives for direct online therapy.

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 16:08 on May 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Chokes McGee posted:

Hi! I have bipolar 2! It doesn't have to be terrifying and you can still be a functional adult! :)

The thing about bipolar though is that, if you have it, you absolutely need a mood stabilizer. Also you should not be taking SSRIs, they can trigger mania. Those are the two biggest ones, because the more times you go manic, the easier it is to do it in the future. That's a process that takes years upon years of being unmedicated so I'm not saying this to scare you, merely to emphasize getting on the right meds is very important. I AM NOT A DOCTOR OK but from the posts you've made alone, it sounds very much like mania.

See a doctor as soon as possible, preferably a full psychiatrist. They will know best what to try, but if given an option, I suggest lamotragene (Lamictal) first and then lithium if that doesn't work. Listen to your pdoc though and go with what they say, but be sure to emphasize what you've just described to us. More advice can also be found in the OP, I highly recommend it and not just because I spent hours getting it right

e: also I would never probe you for a mania streak unless it went to anger and you started ripping other posters or something. Mania is not a thoughtcrime.
I actually was prescribed lamictal after an episode of suicidal ideation last year. I had extra left over... i took some last night... i know kinda dumb to do before talking to doc but i think it helped me sleep last night.