Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

shovelbum posted:

why were the borg so horny for humanity anyway

Gotta link up the ouroboros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The TOS soundscape is super soothing to me for some reason. Wonder if it’s contingent on nostalgia levels

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

shovelbum posted:

why were the borg so horny for humanity anyway

Initially they were just horny for everything, an implacable expansionist force that existed only to add to itself

Then they hosed everything up with the Borg queen deep lore bullshit

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

The first introduction of The Dominion is "shields don't work, force field barriers don't work, teleportation to anywhere, even secure locations, all encompassing knowledge of everyone, and instant disappear/ you can't follow us tech." It's bad.

Don’t forget the psychic or whatever energy balls the Vorta could shoot out of their chests! Though that was dropped basically immediately.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kibayasu posted:

Don’t forget the psychic or whatever energy balls the Vorta could shoot out of their chests! Though that was dropped basically immediately.

Now I'm imagining the Dominion War arc except Vorta can go Super Saiyan.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Eighties ZomCom posted:

That's clearly Nicholas Cage.

Cage played Lore in that episode

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
season 3 episode 1 conclusion spoiler

lmfao at odo going to a planet of odos and then they all transform into humanoids that look exactly like odo, a being that based his physical appearance on a bajoran docotor and required tons of practice

in reference to the rest of the episode:

also, speaking of op, the dominion also sees through cloak, lmfao. its stupid and it loving sucks. there better be a good loving reason the dominion is so strong other than "for the drama!"

oh man, since i'm already going off, before i start the next episode, i just want to say that making known terrorist and coup collaborator winn the kai was just loving stupid. she was in the capital with the coup leader when the coup government fell! i looked that one up and its literally "the writers were going to go the other way then decided at the last minute that actually it'd be more fun this way." and thus we get the garbo episode "the collaborator"

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 8, 2020

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

RaySmuckles posted:

season 3 episode 1 conclusion spoiler

lmfao at odo going to a planet of odos and then they all transform into humanoids that look exactly like odo, a being that based his physical appearance on a bajoran docotor and required tons of practice

theyre bullying him

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i loving hated kai winn so much my first time through the series but it was absolutely the right decision for that very reason. she's the best villain in ds9.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

:gowron:

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Their males dance provocatively

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

The first introduction of The Dominion is "shields don't work, force field barriers don't work, teleportation to anywhere, even secure locations, all encompassing knowledge of everyone, and instant disappear/ you can't follow us tech." It's bad.

It was a bloody first contact and they were hit so fast they didn't know how to react and adapt in time. The Dominion meanwhile had been monitoring the federation for some time and more than likely had gained access to Starfleet technical readouts. They had a clear advantage and surprise on their side, it's no wonder they thrashed the Odyssey.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

It was a bloody first contact and they were hit so fast they didn't know how to react and adapt in time. The Dominion meanwhile had been monitoring the federation for some time and more than likely had gained access to Starfleet technical readouts. They had a clear advantage and surprise on their side, it's no wonder they thrashed the Odyssey.

surely the federation's local enemies have been monitoring the federation for a much longer time and have all their technical readouts too, yet there are hard limits to the powers of the various other races. why didn't the klingon's just make weapon's that cut through shields? why can't the romulan's just teleport anywhere at any time? why can't the federation detect cloaked ships?

the power of the borg makes (some) sense cuz q was like, "here, let me show you the craziest motherfuckers in existence."

but the dominion just reeks of hack writing dramatizing the worst aspects of star trek.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
q is the fuckin best

Notice he didn't show Picard the dominion lmao

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

he was going to show sisko the dominion but got punched in the face for his efforts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Dominion is from the opposite end of the galaxy and they use entirely different technology. It's the kind of advantage that only works once or twice before Starfleet gets wise.

Hell they do it again when the Breen join the war, and they're an alpha quadrant species that managed to inflict two of the worst defeats in Starfleet history due to using at the time unknown technology.

Beyond that, Starfleet didnt have any dedicated warships until the Defiant and she was a prototype. It's little surprise they didn't perform well during the early skirmishes with the Dominion.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

he was going to show sisko the dominion but got punched in the face for his efforts.

It's this

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

RaySmuckles posted:

surely the federation's local enemies have been monitoring the federation for a much longer time and have all their technical readouts too, yet there are hard limits to the powers of the various other races. why didn't the klingon's just make weapon's that cut through shields? why can't the romulan's just teleport anywhere at any time? why can't the federation detect cloaked ships?

the power of the borg makes (some) sense cuz q was like, "here, let me show you the craziest motherfuckers in existence."

but the dominion just reeks of hack writing dramatizing the worst aspects of star trek.

The Dominion is actually really old compared to any of the other powers that the Federation has run into. Somewhere between 2,000 and 10,000 years old. It's also really big, probably the second largest power in the galaxy, behind the Borg. The Federation usually beats their enemies by some sort of technical wizardry or trickery. Technical wizardry will at best let them pull even with the Dominion, because the Dominion has been around for so long they've seen all the tricks, or so they think at least. And unlike the Borg, the real danger isn't that a single ship is so dangerous, (Federation weapons are quite effective against Dominion ships) it's that there are lots of them and they will keep coming. The Dominion is not supposed to be an equal to the Federation, they're supposed to be an existential threat to it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if not for the wormhole being blocked and then closed, the dominion would have won as soon as they decided to commit enough resources. they were always on a much different scale than any of the alpha quadrant powers.

now that i think about it, jem'hadar would be a pretty good way to fight the borg. it doesn't matter if they are assimilated, because they don't know poo poo about poo poo and will die without ketracel white no matter how many pvc tubes are sticking out of their head.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Dominion seems really stagnant and 1-dimensional in their initial form, like they're a lamer Federation with a huge clone army and military focus. I like that they play some of the lovely alpha quadrant powers against the federation tho. The borg are just like yeah, weird cgi people from goopy space, yeah this is what we want, give us that good poo poo

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

shovelbum posted:

The Dominion seems really stagnant and 1-dimensional in their initial form, like they're a lamer Federation with a huge clone army and military focus. I like that they play some of the lovely alpha quadrant powers against the federation tho. The borg are just like yeah, weird cgi people from goopy space, yeah this is what we want, give us that good poo poo

The borg were custom designed to be defeated by a civilization that has +10 to mad science as an attribute.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
People who take the Jem'Hadar at face value underestimate their inner culture and philosophy. They are definitely more than just tank bred supersoldiers, but the arrogance of the Vorta and the Founders means that the Jem'Hadar are seen by their superiors as being mindless.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

sweet geek swag posted:

The Dominion is actually really old compared to any of the other powers that the Federation has run into.
at this point i would like to remind the jury that bajoran civilisation was 500,000 years old by the time of the occupation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What you think they could colonize their whole devote using solar sailing ships? Pure revisionist Bajoran propaganda.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ghostlight posted:

at this point i would like to remind the jury that bajoran civilisation was 500,000 years old by the time of the occupation.

Despite their ancient civilization, the Bajorans are not, and have never been, a power. It was probably the caste system.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i want a new tng movie with everyone recast and acting like nothing is different

mark strong should be the new picard

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

shovelbum posted:

Borgs want to assimilate. They want to take people and attach the people to themselves and be a new thing.

Goop aliens got hosed over so they made the Dominion. If they gently caress everyone up, they won't get hurt again.

One of those wants to bring people in, the other wants to push them away. They all want to kill a lot of people to get their goals done. That's the hosed up evil part that makes them baddies, the death part. It's hard to parse that as an American sometimes because we are the death people, the people that bring death to other people. We've been death champions for like 70 odd years.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

sweet geek swag posted:

The borg were custom designed to be defeated by a civilization that has +10 to mad science as an attribute.
I want to see the Pakled meet the Borg.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Resistance will make us go

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

My Lovely Horse posted:

We look for things that will adapt to service us.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Arcsquad12 posted:

loving Dominion apologists. Take your founderkissing rear end back through the 'hole, pal. O'Brien, get down here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
O'Brien is too busy fixing the sanitation transporters

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

O'Brien got made some sort of engineering instructor at Starfleet University. He vanished mysteriously after his shuttle encountered a time hole on the way back to Earth.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ghostlight posted:

i loving hated kai winn so much my first time through the series but it was absolutely the right decision for that very reason. she's the best villain in ds9.
I hope you’ve seen the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

a sweating Borg looking at two buttons, one is "assimilate Kazon" and one is "assimilate Pakled"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Your technological and cultural distinctiveness will make us go. Resistance. Don't. We are smart.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Your technological and cultural distinctiveness will make us go. Resistance. Don't. We are smart.

and then all the borg cubes were traded to the ferengi for a red paper clip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

a sweating Borg looking at two buttons, one is "assimilate Kazon" and one is "assimilate Pakled"

Pick the Pakled obviously, since they were able to steal technology from multiple races. A useful trait for the Borg.