Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Time to get out from under the doona and get ronid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

JBP posted:

Time to get out from under the doona and get ronid

What happened to "listen to the experts"?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mad Katter posted:

quote:

As I said the other day, it's like the emu and the kangaroo, they go forward, not backwards. And that's how this has to work.
we're all going to die

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I don't get what you people want.

Do you want literally zero cases for a few weeks before you want things open?

Do you want a vaccine?

Explain what it is you think would be a safe environment in which to open businesses.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CelestialScribe posted:

gently caress off with this bullshit

why are you booing him, he's right

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't get what you people want.

Do you want literally zero cases for a few weeks before you want things open?

Do you want a vaccine?

Explain what it is you think would be a safe environment in which to open businesses.

One where workers aren't forced to prioritise work over the health of themselves nor the people they care about and can still survive without undue burden like going into debt, bankruptcy, starvation or homelessness.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Les Affaires posted:

One where workers aren't forced to prioritise work over the health of themselves nor the people they care about and can still survive without undue burden like going into debt, bankruptcy, starvation or homelessness.

*JBP Voice*

lol

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Most of the problems people have with the Australian government response continue to be because of Morrison being shithouse at messaging.

New Zealand is also gradually lifting restrictions and talking about their plans, but Ardern has strong trust from the public because she talks to the people of her country like a loving adult.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
In good news, Seven got rid of Pete Evans

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Les Affaires posted:

So what does that look like for you?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CelestialScribe posted:

What happened to "listen to the experts"?

I am quoting the prime minister's lovely messaging not riling you.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i don’t think zero cases for 14 days before lifting restrictions is a big ask

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Solemn Sloth posted:

Sweet, so in Stage 3 Melbourne can start hosting home games at the MCG again
So long as there are only 100 people there (including the teams and their support staff, media outlets, etc).

Which brings me back to stage three. How the gently caress do people whose livelihood relies on events with more than 100 participants return to work? Their simple easy to understand reassurance is full of imponderables and won't make the several hundred thousand or so people working in the entertainment industry feel any more reassured. Well except for being reassured that the clowns in charge have no clue how their industry works and couldn't organise a chook raffle in a packed RSL.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

Most of the problems people have with the Australian government response continue to be because of Morrison being shithouse at messaging.

New Zealand is also gradually lifting restrictions and talking about their plans, but Ardern has strong trust from the public because she talks to the people of her country like a loving adult.

This is it really, there's no honesty about the plan, instead it's "you've earned an early mark!" Like, it seems to me the reason we're opening up is not because it's safe to do so, but because they've decided we're not going to hunker down and wait for a vaccine that may not come, and instead the economy matters more and our hospitals are equipped "enough" so that they won't get overwhelmed if we keep the opening up (and related spread of covid) gradual.

This plan means more people will die that wouldn't have if we took a different route like waiting for a vaccine, but less people will die than if we just opened it all up and never shut things down to begin with, and that seems like the trade off policy they've picked. But you won't hear anyone actually say that...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bowmore posted:

It's not.

There's a pretty humorous amount of backslapping and "we did it" going on right now in Vic and NSW which smells like a fall being on its way.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
morrison changing the covid supplement from 6 months to “we’ll reassess in June” is a kick in the teeth to struggling people

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

It's not.

There's a pretty humorous amount of backslapping and "we did it" going on right now in Vic and NSW which smells like a fall being on its way.
i agree

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bowmore posted:

morrison changing the covid supplement from 6 months to “we’ll reassess in June” is a kick in the teeth to struggling people

I think a lot of people are about to receive a startling insight into what it means to be dole poor.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

I think a lot of people are about to receive a startling insight into what it means to be dole poor.
The one million recently unemployed for example

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You tried ronidole, now try classic dole

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bowmore posted:

I'm no economist, but talking loudly about how Newstart is going to drop back down seems like a loving stupid thing to do for a stimulus measure.

If I was on Newstart and receiving the supplement, it would make me want to save as much of it as possible, entirely the opposite of what you want from financial stimulus. If they think that people can't afford to not spend it, then that's just an admission that the standard rate is way too low.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

JBP posted:

It's not.

Is there?! Dandrews has resisted some pretty cooked takes by the media and LNP to go "wait until Monday" and I'm not entirely sure he'll adopt all of stage 1 even.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

bowmore posted:

Problem is, even a measure like that is open for interpretation. SA went 14 days and then had one pop up, but was it a) a overseas acquired transmission that was no longer active, b) overseas but still active, c) community transmission. Government is saying likely a (but treating it like b), so does the counter for opening start again?

If you do have a hard measure, even if the reality is (c) there is going to be alot of pressure to assign it to (a).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Quantum Shart posted:

Is there?! Dandrews has resisted some pretty cooked takes by the media and LNP to go "wait until Monday" and I'm not entirely sure he'll adopt all of stage 1 even.

Andrews was very good, but he was still all smiles and pisstaking. I'm talking more about the community though. My circle of friends are breaking pretty hard now. The frustrations Andrews was talking about are a real pressure and I expect many people to just say gently caress it since there is a "plan".

The ABC reporters were all beaming away too lol. Everyone they've shown has been very satisfied with themselves.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Senor Tron posted:

I wonder what it'd be like to have an actual mature and non-condescending head of state? It must be nice.

I gotta say, when my wife and I went to New Zealand a few years back, it genuinely felt like the kind of place that Australia claims to be, but isn't.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Breakfast Burrito posted:

This is it really, there's no honesty about the plan, instead it's "you've earned an early mark!" Like, it seems to me the reason we're opening up is not because it's safe to do so, but because they've decided we're not going to hunker down and wait for a vaccine that may not come, and instead the economy matters more and our hospitals are equipped "enough" so that they won't get overwhelmed if we keep the opening up (and related spread of covid) gradual.

This plan means more people will die that wouldn't have if we took a different route like waiting for a vaccine, but less people will die than if we just opened it all up and never shut things down to begin with, and that seems like the trade off policy they've picked. But you won't hear anyone actually say that...

Shutting everything down to wait for a vaccine is not a realistic option.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CelestialScribe posted:

Ahhh well, guess I'll die then

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ahhh well, guess I'll die then

Are you happy to shut down schools, businesses, no social meetings, for 2/3/4 years?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The jobkeeper money literally only just started coming through in the past 2 days and they're already talking about removing it early. You can be drat sure i'll be saving every penny of it for the rainy day I'm now expecting to come.

Especially as, as someone else pointed out, my business relies on events of more than 100 people which it seems will no longer exist in "covidsafe" Australia.

If I need to change my industry/business they would ideally let me know well before they pull out the safety net that they've given.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

CelestialScribe posted:

Are you happy to shut down schools, businesses, no social meetings, for 2/3/4 years?

You mean increase our measures? Because those things are still happening to various degrees right now.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Whitlam posted:

You mean increase our measures? Because those things are still happening to various degrees right now.

No. I mean are people content to shut down schools and businesses for years while a vaccine is created?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm pretty sure Kirby has said they're immunocompromised. I'd twist your head off and drink your blood if it meant I lived.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

I know it's not, that's why I said "waiting for a vaccine that might not come" - the point was that by opening things up, people will die that wouldn't if we took that unrealistic and immensely challenging route, but they're not outright saying that. We haven't eliminated it, so when we open things up it will spread, and I assume the plan is that we're ready to deal with the spread with as good medical care as we can, slowing the spread where we can etc- but we can't fully treat it, so people will die. It's a policy choice they've made.

I'm not trying to express an opinion one way or another whether it's a good plan, I'm saying surely this is the unstated outcome of the current plan?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

JBP posted:

I'm pretty sure Kirby has said they're immunocompromised. I'd twist your head off and drink your blood if it meant I lived.

This thread is so weird.

NZ lifts restrictions: What a fabulous leader, all praise NZ's queen

Aus introduces a roadmap: We're all gonna fuckin die

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CelestialScribe posted:

This thread is so weird.

NZ lifts restrictions: What a fabulous leader, all praise NZ's queen

Aus introduces a roadmap: We're all gonna fuckin die

One person's said that as a joke. Someone else came in and said it's real for them. Lighten up, Francis.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Breakfast Burrito posted:

I know it's not, that's why I said "waiting for a vaccine that might not come" - the point was that by opening things up, people will die that wouldn't if we took that unrealistic and immensely challenging route, but they're not outright saying that. We haven't eliminated it, so when we open things up it will spread, and I assume the plan is that we're ready to deal with the spread with as good medical care as we can, slowing the spread where we can etc- but we can't fully treat it, so people will die. It's a policy choice they've made.

I'm not trying to express an opinion one way or another whether it's a good plan, I'm saying surely this is the unstated outcome of the current plan?

I don't think it's unstated. I think they've been clear in saying there will be outbreaks.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay

JBP posted:

I'd twist your head off and drink your blood if it meant I lived.

Keep going

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

bowmore posted:

i guess in reality it's my own fault for not seeing this coming from them

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Homora Gaykemi posted:

i guess in reality it's my own fault for not seeing this coming from them

Don't beat yourself up, lack of foresight and assuming they're doing things in the broader public interest is what gets us into this mess in the first place and we're all guilty of it to a degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
It really is all in the delivery sometimes. The calm, patient tones of Ardern are a stark contrast to Morrison's angry, condescending and sometimes very confusing messaging, all while he insists the rules are simple and straightforward. He tries to affect an "everyday Aussie dad" demeanour, much like Rudd and Gillard did at points, when it's really not in their nature. It's like an uncanny valley of sincerity.

It also helps that NZ does not have states to deal with--because each state is having a different experience at any given time, the PM coming in and saying something that seems way off base for what's going on in your state adds an element of confusion/uncertainty/frustration. NZ, while it's got the North Island/South Island, Metropolitan/Regional/Rural divides, doesn't have different parts of the country able to determine whether or not they'll go along with what the PM is saying.