Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

los riojanos están curando, la tierra está regresando

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Maryland is in a weird place where we're ramping up medical resource availability but also just kinda pulling the ripcord and openin' it up

Boots on the ground level I think we're hosed mostly because everyone braced for an impact that didn't happen and now everyone is in nothingburger mode

Traffic on the beltway isn't quite normal but it's also very obviously not actually shut down in any way

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

great grandaddy lost all his fingers and paws due to coronavirus, he's a lobster now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQo1HIcSVtg

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/petromatrix/status/1258646002510303233

central europe almost back to normal

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

Maryland is in a weird place where we're ramping up medical resource availability but also just kinda pulling the ripcord and openin' it up

Boots on the ground level I think we're hosed mostly because everyone braced for an impact that didn't happen and now everyone is in nothingburger mode

Traffic on the beltway isn't quite normal but it's also very obviously not actually shut down in any way

Pulling the ripcord? Hogan just amended the stay at home order to allow for people to not get picked up by the cops for walking alone or going out fishing. He hasn't even signaled anything like we are blasting open the doors and having the worlds greatest freedom party. The plan is laid out and he is easing it because psychos and scared people are beginning to freak the gently caress out moreso than normal.

This is a bone for them to go huntin, fishin and play golf as long as you do it in tiny rear end groups the police will not pick you up.

There is literally only bad decisions on the table and its the guys job to pick the best bad decision and own it.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

lol the grandaddy of NYC wanted to wait 4 months before disinfecting the subway...and this guy wanted to run for president

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

a helpful bear posted:

imagine OC without going to dumsers just shaking mdh

mmm wtacha say

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/qorquiq/status/1258590177179529216

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftrEsc99cnc

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I understand everything else but there's got to be some story behind "naval supremacy".

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

punchymcpunch posted:

mmm wtacha say

classic americana where the cherry cola is coke + cherry syrup, the ice is tiny balls instead of cubes, and the ice cream sundaes are massive

it's perfect after loving around on the boardwalk and inhaling grease fumes and buying cheap illegally printed t-shirt and getting sunburnt

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Drinkfist posted:

Pulling the ripcord? Hogan just amended the stay at home order to allow for people to not get picked up by the cops for walking alone or going out fishing. He hasn't even signaled anything like we are blasting open the doors and having the worlds greatest freedom party. The plan is laid out and he is easing it because psychos and scared people are beginning to freak the gently caress out moreso than normal.

This is a bone for them to go huntin, fishin and play golf as long as you do it in tiny rear end groups the police will not pick you up.

There is literally only bad decisions on the table and its the guys job to pick the best bad decision and own it.

He did that in the same presser where he said the entire stay at order could be lifted next week

Hogan's done an admirable job with this all things considered but I think at this point any talk about "we could lift this next week" is pretty much equivalent to saying "I'm gonna lift this next week"

Edit: with the exception of the schools I think? I think he said he wants them to stay closed for the remainder of the school year

I also don't think he's planning to reopen all businesses immediately so maybe pulling the ripcord is a bit extreme yeah

Paramemetic has issued a correction as of 08:23 on May 8, 2020

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
finish the night with drunk idiots trying to drag race a single block or two and getting wasted at Seacrets while the waters flood the entire bar

im still sour that bahama mama's shut down years ago

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm in agreement that Hogan was good and cautious t the start but if he doesn't get massive pushback we're just going to open up because that's what all his business buddies are telling him to do.

My conspiracy theory is that he only was so paranoid because he is immunocompromised with all the chemo and poo poo he went through.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

I understand everything else but there's got to be some story behind "naval supremacy".

my belly button is deeper than yours, therefore I am the dominant alpha male

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

a helpful bear posted:

I'm in agreement that Hogan was good and cautious t the start but if he doesn't get massive pushback we're just going to open up because that's what all his business buddies are telling him to do.

My conspiracy theory is that he only was so paranoid because he is immunocompromised with all the chemo and poo poo he went through.

I suspect he called up his doctors from all that and went "what's the deal?" and they went "oh no we're p much hosed" and he did the right things because people close to him that he trusts told him to

But I was probably being a bit extreme with "pulling the ripcord" because he does have a gradual step by step plan thing

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

easy d

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

a helpful bear posted:

classic americana where the cherry cola is coke + cherry syrup, the ice is tiny balls instead of cubes, and the ice cream sundaes are massive

it's perfect after loving around on the boardwalk and inhaling grease fumes and buying cheap illegally printed t-shirt and getting sunburnt

gimme uhhhhh gimme a chocolate malted

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Malcolm XML posted:

why hasn't FL had a surge in deaths? I'm baffled here
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm

Look at Florida's pneumonia deaths. 4300 in 3 months. That's higher than any recent yearly total I can find by like 1000. (In 2017 it didn't even crack Florida's top 10 causes of death with #10 being 3k deaths https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/states/florida/florida.htm).

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Died with pneumonia rip

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

dunno if this got posted or not but Mark Cuban hired team of secret shoppers to conduct a survey of how re-opening was going in Dallas

spoiler: not very well

http://blogmaverick.com/2020/05/07/i-hired-a-team-of-secret-shoppers-to-find-out-how-businesses-were-opening-in-dallas-its-not-good/

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

nooneofconsequence posted:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm

Look at Florida's pneumonia deaths. 4300 in 3 months. That's higher than any recent yearly total I can find by like 1000. (In 2017 it didn't even crack Florida's top 10 causes of death with #10 being 3k deaths https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/states/florida/florida.htm).

a strange, unidentified pneumonia-like virus is spreading through the Florida province of the people's republic of the United states.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Burn Zone posted:

dunno if this got posted or not but Mark Cuban hired team of secret shoppers to conduct a survey of how re-opening was going in Dallas

spoiler: not very well

http://blogmaverick.com/2020/05/07/i-hired-a-team-of-secret-shoppers-to-find-out-how-businesses-were-opening-in-dallas-its-not-good/

least surprising result in the world

SECOND WAVE BOYS GET UR BEANS READY! the rubes won't be as well stockpiled as the bean boys

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

We've passed RWM-suicide sphere, for those following at home and at facebook:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

a helpful bear posted:

Reading this hurts me more than anything so far this week. I want subs and fries.

Have some of my childhood summer:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Marzzle posted:

fairly sure FL is suppressing reporting or maybe we lucked out and the heat is lowering the R0 and we'll be stuck with 10,000 years of chud governance

Brazil has more than 9 thousand dead. Heat is not a panacea.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Reading this hurts me more than anything so far this week. I want subs and fries.

nice. not gonna lie, it feels weird having laguna niguel be cancelled due to nazis. i'm gonna reappropriate it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Beachcomber posted:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

shovelbum posted:

time for a FORUMS CLASSIC

is this really how TB presents itself in elephants?

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

He did that in the same presser where he said the entire stay at order could be lifted next week

Hogan's done an admirable job with this all things considered but I think at this point any talk about "we could lift this next week" is pretty much equivalent to saying "I'm gonna lift this next week"

Edit: with the exception of the schools I think? I think he said he wants them to stay closed for the remainder of the school year

I also don't think he's planning to reopen all businesses immediately so maybe pulling the ripcord is a bit extreme yeah

I am still in the bad call mindset. All options on the table are bad and the window where good decisions could be made has long passed. Capitalism is about to kick down everyone's front door. Doesn't matter what your politics or beliefs are. This is literally history book poo poo going on right now. You reopen the business as usual and I GUARANTEE you will see millions kicked on the loving street the second the landlord lobby cracks that no-eviction order. Where is everyone gonna go? What kind of jobs can these people get when Retail, Restaurants and Service industries are bankrupt from the entire consumer class vanishing? Where are they gonna get food while all the farms are dumping their worthless harvests to rot in a field and farmers without locked in contracts have no idea how to scale anything anymore? Who the gently caress is gonna get on a plane or pass though a crowed airport security and where the hell would they go?

Congress turned on the money printer and everyone saw it. They printed money for the fed to literally buy up every poo poo investment to bail out the entire upper class and they are going to outright walk away with the bag. We got 1,200 bucks and told that ought to get us though it.

They could have just done a rent and mortgage freeze and printed the loss right into the banks holding the contracts and boom everyone has breathing room. They could have done a federal wage guarantee and just told all the employers to fire no one and send everyone home and just pick up the wage bill with the printer now all the small businesses don't need a loan. Then fix the whole publicly traded market by either halting trade or literally buying a holding in every nationally critical sector and nationalize the whole thing to never have a crisis again. Then picked up Medicare for All and just printed the "How you gonna pay for it" argument into oblivion and pay everyone's medical bills. Then when it is all said and done you got all this poo poo on the counties books you just inflation leverage the thing into a dark corner to pay for itself and in 20 years no one will know it ever existed because the world economics needs dollars to trade and it can't fail. Boom country saved and after six months of lockdown we all come out after a great vacation and get a spike in divorces but nothing else.

We chose hellworld. This was a choice. And there isn't a single person you can vote for that would fix this come November. The progressive rebellion was defeated. Bernie got a brainslug slapped on his head. Both parties are totally pro hellworld and it is going to take decades for the hosed generation to get actual power in high office when there is a nation of amped superpowered grifters that will torpedo you for life using everything at the disposal of the information age.

Welcome to history book hellworld. Your kids are gonna be reading about this in a loving shack after being required to buy the book for 900 dollars and the homework will still require a cd key.

The worst part of all of this is those not willing to let it slide like this are gonna choose violence because there is literally no other path open to them in their lifetime.

Drinkfist has issued a correction as of 09:14 on May 8, 2020

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

do you need subs and fries though

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

human garbage bag posted:

do you need subs and fries though

A friend of mine just told me about this cool thing called a Air Fryer that is like a small speed oven for single people that don't want to fire up a big oven for such a small meal.

Totally thinking about making some quick fries in that.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Drinkfist posted:

I am still in the bad call mindset. All options on the table are bad and the window where good decisions could be made has long passed. Capitalism is about to kick down everyone's front door. Doesn't matter what your politics or beliefs are. This is literally history book poo poo going on right now. You reopen the business as usual and I GUARANTEE you will see millions kicked on the loving street the second the landlord lobby cracks that no-eviction order. Where is everyone gonna go? What kind of jobs can these people get when Retail, Restaurants and Service industries are bankrupt from the entire consumer class vanishing? Where are they gonna get food while all the farms are dumping their worthless harvests to rot in a field and farmers without locked in contracts have no idea how to scale anything anymore? Who the gently caress is gonna get on a plane or pass though a crowed airport security and where the hell would they go?

Congress turned on the money printer and everyone saw it. They printed money for the fed to literally buy up every poo poo investment to bail out the entire upper class and they are going to outright walk away with the bag. We got 1,200 bucks and told that ought to get us though it.

They could have just done a rent and mortgage freeze and printed the loss right into the banks holding the contracts and boom everyone has breathing room. They could have done a federal wage guarantee and just told all the employers to fire no one and send everyone home and just pick up the wage bill with the printer now all the small businesses don't need a loan. Then fix the whole publicly traded market by either halting trade or literally buying a holding in every nationally critical sector and nationalize the whole thing to never have a crisis again. Then picked up Medicare for All and just printed the "How you gonna pay for it" argument into oblivion and pay everyone's medical bills. Then when it is all said and done you got all this poo poo on the counties books you just inflation leverage the thing into a dark corner to pay for itself and in 20 years no one will know it ever existed because the world economics needs dollars to trade and it can't fail. Boom country saved and after six months of lockdown we all come out after a great vacation and get a spike in divorces but nothing else.

We chose hellworld. This was a choice. And there isn't a single person you can vote for that would fix this come November. The progressive rebellion was defeated. Bernie got a brainslug slapped on his head. Both parties are totally pro hellworld and it is going to take decades for the hosed generation to get actual power in high office when there is a nation of amped superpowered grifters that will torpedo you for life using everything at the disposal of the information age.

Welcome to history book hellworld. Your kids are gonna be reading about this in a loving shack after being required to buy the book for 900 dollars and the homework will still require a cd key.

The worst part of all of this is those not willing to let it slide like this are gonna choose violence because there is literally no other path open to them in their lifetime.

Sir, this is a mass grave

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

"Biggest dick in the bathtub"? :shrug:

Historical references to a nation's power were typically tied to naval supremacy, and as of right now, today, the U.S. has an absurd number of big boats that were unchallenged for a hell of a long time(before the roni ghost shipped them :lol: )

Before that was France and England, little bit of Dutch before that.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Sir, this is a mass grave

Yeah. Well I was just putting flowers on it.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/jenroy1212/status/1258480761604313089

and in the uk they havent even opened the strip clubs yet

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://twitter.com/santisiri/status/1258442645346701319

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Good morning idiots

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Drinkfist posted:

Yes, but have you considered OPEN ER UP

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Someone mentioned Russia was having it worse than Western countries, we will see but it doesn't seem the death rate has really spiked yet. The magic vaccine might have worked.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:03 on May 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Someone mentioned Russia was having it worse than Western countries, we will see but it doesn't seem the death rate has really spiked yet.

Not only did they get that TB vaccine there, they get booster shots as well, so maybe that could be it.