Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
For every new messaging app, two old ones must be abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Incessant Excess posted:

For every new messaging app, two old ones must be abandoned.

If that were true, we'd finally have our one perfect messaging app instead of 20 mediocre ones.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently Google is going to merge the various messaging teams into one, but still doesn't plan to integrate all the various apps. :toot:

If anything they'll introduce two new ones.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently Google is going to merge the various messaging teams into one, but still doesn't plan to integrate all the various apps. :toot:

Baby steps. :pray:

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's my own fault, I suppose, but the $100 rebate I got from Google for pre-ordering the Pixel 4 expired in January, so no Pixel Buds for me anytime soon.

Also, the 4 (at least the non-XL one) has a crap battery that doesn't come close to lasting a day with moderate use- I'm in battery saver mode all the drat time.

Between those two things, I'm likely to not buy Google hardware anymore.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Glass of Milk posted:

It's my own fault, I suppose, but the $100 rebate I got from Google for pre-ordering the Pixel 4 expired in January, so no Pixel Buds for me anytime soon.

Also, the 4 (at least the non-XL one) has a crap battery that doesn't come close to lasting a day with moderate use- I'm in battery saver mode all the drat time.

Between those two things, I'm likely to not buy Google hardware anymore.

Yeah, that was the big knock on the smaller 4, it was pretty much a "do not buy" for most solely for that

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Microsoft pushing Samsung Dex now? Because I just unlocked my computer and was greeted by this poo poo!

--edit:
Stored in C:\Windows\System32\Samsung\EasySetup no less.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I don't think it's them pushing it but the phone being recognized as an autoplay device and immediately loads that. Happens with some external hard drives if they want you to use their software.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah that's not Windows/Microsoft. It's the phone/Samsung.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have this S10 for way over a year. Only now it shows. And I charge it on my computer every night.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have this S10 for way over a year. Only now it shows. And I charge it on my computer every night.

So Samsung must have changed/updated something. It's not Microsoft.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone's power button on their Pixel 3 freak out and get jammed/hypersensitive?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Let me tell you a thing or two about the power buttons of the Pixel-line...

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

bull3964 posted:

Unless you need Verizon compatibility, I would seriously look at the Nokia options in the pricerange before the Moto these days.

I might actually need Verizon, so that makes the Nokia a no-go.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Christ, Samsung's connectivity apps are so poo poo! Thank bog for Microsoft's nicely integrated thing.

And Dex is not available on the Note 10 lite, an artificial limitation if I've ever seen one; my S8 could do it, so an S9 gen SoC with 2 GB more RAM should not be a problem. Not that I use it, but... Ugh.

Great phone otherwise, I hate phone keyboards and as an old Newton and Palm III user this handwriting recognition is insane! The future is now!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Combat Pretzel posted:

Microsoft pushing Samsung Dex now? Because I just unlocked my computer and was greeted by this poo poo!

--edit:
Stored in C:\Windows\System32\Samsung\EasySetup no less.

Cool exploding phone clipart

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

Yep the 7T is a great value choice now. I would buy that over the 8 if I was in the market.

I honestly dont know how the Z (lite) is going to be able to compete against their own 7T other than make the 7T impossible to find

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really don't expect the Z to be in that many western markets.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Why make a cohesive, consumer-friendly Messages app when you can bow to cellphone carriers while they drag their lovely, ancient technologies into another century?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

AlexF posted:

Let me tell you a thing or two about the power buttons of the Pixel-line...

1.5 years on this Pixel 3, longest I've gone without having a hardware replacement on a Pixel or Nexus phone (excluding Galaxy Nexus.)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Man the OP8P is so tempting to replace my Pixel 3 XL with (since the fingerprint sensor has been acting funky and not processing prints occasionally), but there's all that Google magic I'd miss, call screening is worth the price of admission.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Call Screening is honestly the only thing I can think of that it doesn't have out of the "google magic."

I liked Call Screening as a party trick, but I don't get enough phone calls to make it worthwhile and Duplex kinda just didn't go anywhere.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

FogHelmut posted:

1.5 years on this Pixel 3, longest I've gone without having a hardware replacement on a Pixel or Nexus phone (excluding Galaxy Nexus.)

Yeah, I had my Pixel 3 without any problems for about 1,5 years as well. Battery started to degrade but it was really nice. Now on a Pixel 4 XL and still thinking back to the 3's buttons.

(I'm only joking, though. I'm the button guy...)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

To me it boils down to either pull the trigger on a OP8P, or hold out until Pixel 5 comes out.

I'm one of those that actually likes face unlock because of the two stage notifications (your notifications are locked until you look at your phone then it unlocks), and I've always been a bit skeevish towards OP given their old marketing missteps.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Pixel 5 may be the first mainline Pixel device I skip because it's pretty much looking like it's going to be "Pixel 4 + 5g via the SD765).

That's not to say that it would make it a bad phone, it's probably the right move if it helps them bring down the price to the $600-$700 range, but it's not going to be an upgrade for anyone with a P4 or any top of the line 2020 device.

I like face unlock too, but the intersection with reality right now is just unfortunate. Face masks are going to be the new normal for at least the next year and likely will be a longer to permanent part of our society for certain activities (like flying). Having face unlock be your only biometric (unless you can get it to work securely with a mask) just isn't going to work anymore.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

bull3964 posted:

The Pixel 5 may be the first mainline Pixel device I skip because it's pretty much looking like it's going to be "Pixel 4 + 5g via the SD765).

That's not to say that it would make it a bad phone, it's probably the right move if it helps them bring down the price to the $600-$700 range, but it's not going to be an upgrade for anyone with a P4 or any top of the line 2020 device.

I like face unlock too, but the intersection with reality right now is just unfortunate. Face masks are going to be the new normal for at least the next year and likely will be a longer to permanent part of our society for certain activities (like flying). Having face unlock be your only biometric (unless you can get it to work securely with a mask) just isn't going to work anymore.

That's pretty much the thing that sways me back to the OP8P argument.

Face unlock is dead in the water for the next year when out in public, and going 845 to 765 feels a more like a sidegrade than a 2 year phone upgrade should be.

eta: also my other sticking point is visual voicemail on OP unlocked seems a bit funky and buggy

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 8, 2020

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Time for retinal scanners on phones!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

You have bought every major flagship phone over the past like three years. You're going to buy one at some point. Don't lie.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

You have bought every major flagship phone over the past like three years. You're going to buy one at some point. Don't lie.

We'll see. Every other time they've offered at least something new or improved. I'm just not seeing that with the Pixel this year.

I will have a freed up equipment plan on T-Mobile by october though, maybe I'll have work pay for it.

And, really, it's been only Pixels until the OP7P last year. After that is when I picked up a Samsung device.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Thing is, this isn't a problem on iOS as there's separate profiles you can use.

Google just needs to learn how to take in account of people not on their Mountain View campus and give us that and then it won't matter if you have a mask or not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I still question as to whether or not a second profile of you wearing a mask is as secure. I mean the steps that you have to do to get it to scan your face with a mask feel like they are exploiting something (partially cover your face with the mask as you are moving your head around). Basically you have to full the system into thinking it's seeing a face while also covering part with the mask so it will recognize it. Also, do we know if the biometric API can even be patched in this fashion with the Titan security module?

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 8, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I still question as to whether or not a second profile of you wearing a mask is as secure. I mean the steps that you have to do to get it to scan your face with a mask feel like they are exploiting something (partially cover your face with the mask as you are moving your head around). Basically you have to full the system into thinking it's seeing a face while also covering part with the mask so it will recognize it. Also, do we know if the biometric API can even be patched in this fashion with the Titan security module?

They probably are exploiting something with it and it may not be 100% secure, but they'll have to do something if they don't want Face Unlock to be entirely worthless (especially if they stick it into the P5 as it probably won't have a fingerprint sensor either).

Though the Titan module might complicate things...which would gently caress over the P4 (and probably the P5 unles they delay it so it will have a fingerprint sensor...if it indeed doesn't have one).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I thought we already solved the problem of face unlock with a mask.
https://www.dailydot.com/debug/face-id-medical-masks/

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Uthor posted:

I thought we already solved the problem of face unlock with a mask.
https://www.dailydot.com/debug/face-id-medical-masks/

But that's not really a solve. Face unlock (that isn't garbage) isn't using a picture of your face, it's using a depth map of your face. That mask will not have the depth map of your face, so even if you print your face on it, it wouldn't work.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

It wouldn't be surprising if that works for most implementations. Its not like this is a flat image of the entire face. And most phone makers are lazy about this poo poo.

I am having the upgrade dilemma too. I skipped the Pixel 4 because I didn't want to give up the fingerprint scanner and deal with bad battery life. I'm not quite ready to jump ship for OnePlus, so I may end up just keeping my Pixel 3 another year unless the 4a has some surprises left that haven't been leaked.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Endless Mike posted:

I have too but the next Pixel may not be a major flagship. I didn't get the 3xl and 4xl at launch either, I want to love Pixel but they're not going in the right direction for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I have too but the next Pixel may not be a major flagship. I didn't get the 3xl and 4xl at launch either, I want to love Pixel but they're not going in the right direction for me.

It's absolutely a major flagship. It's the top phone from the operating system manufacturer. That you don't agree with the direction they are taking and the specs of the phone doesn't make it not the flagship of their lineup. I guess you can argue whether it's "major" but I can't imagine a good argument for the OS maker's flagship release not being "major."

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I agree that the main Pixels seem to be moving in the wrong direction, but the a phones are a different story. I'm very interested in the 4a as potentially the new default recommendation. We really need more good affordable phones in the States.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 9, 2020

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Endless Mike posted:

It's absolutely a major flagship. It's the top phone from the operating system manufacturer. That you don't agree with the direction they are taking and the specs of the phone doesn't make it not the flagship of their lineup. I guess you can argue whether it's "major" but I can't imagine a good argument for the OS maker's flagship release not being "major."

It's not interesting to me as an s20 ultra user who likes trying the new hotness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Isn't interpupillary distance a fairly strong biometric indicator? I could see that working regardless of a mask. And you'd have the eye depth as well.