Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the ending sequence of this game sucks real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HD DAD posted:

“Thank you...Cloud” as Sephiroth dissolves into the Lifestream, finally at peace, as millions of nerds start getting dust in their eyes.

I can't see it ending any other way honestly. Otherwise he's just going to keep coming back with worse and worse pick up lines.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

romanowski posted:

okay thanks

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I'm mad irl

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

romanowski posted:

i love it

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I know part of the point is the nostalgia but I also thought one of the jobs of remakes was to modernize outdated aspects of old games so why am I doing a multi-boss final sequence with unskippable cutscenes that I have to start over from the beginning when one of the bosses wipes out my party with an unavoidable mega flare!!!! it's 2020 and I will not stand for this

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Clarste posted:

Cloud's perspective in the OG story there's actually not much reason to think Sephiroth is any worse than Shinra?

cloud's perspective is that the Reunion effect is driving him to pursue sephiroth so he comes up with a justification to explain it to himself, that justification being a desire for revenge and a somewhat nebulous understanding that his longterm plans involve doing something horrible

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I can agree actually that making you restart from the beginning if you died anywhere in the overly long Whisper fight was bad and dumb. Sephiroth was a bomb rear end fight though

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Think they'll bring back Lucky sevens for the next part? It'd be a lot harder to use with a non-turn based system though.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Let's not get too sympathetic for the devil here though. Like, it's not Sephiroth's fault he's a monster and socially isolated, but he did go crazy, burn down an entire town, kill countless people, and try to become a god by blowing up the planet. There is no saving or redeeming Sephiroth, he's still going to die at the end of this series, I'm just saying spending eternity as a ghost unable to ever be at peace and let go of his worldly attachments sucks.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

cock hero flux posted:

cloud's perspective is that the Reunion effect is driving him to pursue sephiroth so he comes up with a justification to explain it to himself, that justification being a desire for revenge and a somewhat nebulous understanding that his longterm plans involve doing something horrible

Well, yeah, of course, I just mean it is just a rationalization for his Reunion instincts, and nothing more. It makes no logical sense.

Ironically, it actually makes more sense for the party to chase Sephiroth in Remake.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Gologle posted:

Let's not get too sympathetic for the devil here though. Like, it's not Sephiroth's fault he's a monster and socially isolated, but he did go crazy, burn down an entire town, kill countless people, and try to become a god by blowing up the planet. There is no saving or redeeming Sephiroth, he's still going to die at the end of this series, I'm just saying spending eternity as a ghost unable to ever be at peace and let go of his worldly attachments sucks.

Oh dude I absolutely agree, I'm just saying that until Sephiroth can basically come to terms with himself and let this whole obsessive mission he's on go he's never going to stop coming back. The guy has to learn to take the L and let it go. Also I hope I didn't give you the wrong impression back there when i said Sephiroth feels a sort of love for Cloud, it's definitely not the good kind and he's ain't taking no for an answer so....

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
So people should probably read the Lifestream Black and Lifestream White part of "On the Way to a Smile" set of short stories written by Nojima. https://thelifestream.net/novels-novellas/on-the-way-to-a-smile-lifestream-black-and-lifestream-white/

It's only a couple paragraphs, but they're the post-FFVII stories of what Sephiroth and Aerith are doing in the lifestream. It mostly sets up for Advent Children, but we can probably assume it's the same Sephiroth butting in on VII Remake. It kinda explains why he's so focused on Cloud.

I wouldn't be surprised if these same Sephiroth/Aerith were the ones behind VIIR, finding a way to "travel back in time" or communicate with past versions of themselves or some such.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

So people should probably read the Lifestream Black and Lifestream White part of "On the Way to a Smile" set of short stories written by Nojima. https://thelifestream.net/novels-novellas/on-the-way-to-a-smile-lifestream-black-and-lifestream-white/

It's only a couple paragraphs, but they're the post-FFVII stories of what Sephiroth and Aerith are doing in the lifestream. It mostly sets up for Advent Children, but we can probably assume it's the same Sephiroth butting in on VII Remake. It kinda explains why he's so focused on Cloud.

I wouldn't be surprised if these same Sephiroth/Aerith were the ones behind VIIR, finding a way to "travel back in time" or communicate with past versions of themselves or some such.

Yeah I've read both of these. My main problem with them though seems like they were set up as to why Sephiroth was so damnably one dimensional in Advent Children. I mean at least this time around he seems to have more interesting motivations than just torturing Cloud to death. Same for Aerith tbh.
Although if we're going by the interpretation that this version of Sephiroth has lived through all of the previous...ehh...I wonder if the decision he made after promising to never be a memory was to go "yeah I'm still gonna hollow this planet out like a dime store eclair but Cloud's alright. He can come with."

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

nevermind the end was easy

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
A friend and I have this joke about the remake ending with Sephiroth getting therapy since, you know, but considering that Cloud basically got that in the life stream, you could probably do a similar thing right before you fight him for real. He's been expanded on so much in the compilation, I wouldn't be surpised if they went for a similar, if shorter, setpiece.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

A friend and I have this joke about the remake ending with Sephiroth getting therapy since, you know, but considering that Cloud basically got that in the life stream, you could probably do a similar thing right before you fight him for real. He's been expanded on so much in the compilation, I wouldn't be surpised if they went for a similar, if shorter, setpiece.

On that note here's a comparison of the localization and the original Japanese dialogue for when Cloud and Sephiroth first encounter each other. The most interesting thing I noticed about it was Sephiorth admitting losing his connection to Cloud would be even worse than dying for him.

https://twitter.com/Buccellati_Love/status/1255856563786379264

Seriously it seems like his motivation has shifted from Godhood to claiming Cloud for himself and whatever that entails.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Now I'm mad we didn't get Cloud shouting "don't gently caress with me."

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
It was extremely therapeutic to limit break in Sephiroth's face and have Cloud yell "Let's dance, rear end in a top hat!"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Similarly, Aerith getting KOed by an Octoslash and then using a Phoenix Down on her was :smug:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Jetrauben posted:

It was extremely therapeutic to limit break in Sephiroth's face and have Cloud yell "Let's dance, rear end in a top hat!"

I was all :laffo: when I got to KO Sephiroth with Fuzzy Wuzzy.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Jetrauben posted:

I know it's just one of his Limit Break lines but every time he said it for me it was extremely appropriate (against Reno, Rufus, Sephiroth)

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

RatHat posted:

Think they'll bring back Lucky sevens for the next part? It'd be a lot harder to use with a non-turn based system though.

Lucky Sevens was in this game.

if you watch the pinball machine

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gologle posted:

They should redeem Sephiroth and instead make sure that Reno and Rude get theirs. :colbert:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They should redeem Sephiroth and instead make sure that Reno and Rude get theirs. :colbert:

Well now you're suggesting a one winged angel/ turks theme mash up and I'm intrigued.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

loving finally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvW4wB74jtM

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Crossposting from non-Spoiler thread:

Agents are GO! posted:

How about this?

Edit: Missed the spine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wowie zowie two things I definitely wasn't expecting from this game. Whispers and Sephiroth also apparently being Vergil from the Devil May Cry series able to cut through dimensions?

That was fun, I'm glad to be done and know how the first part goes through things.

Minor things that bother Me, just me and no one else.

1) Man, they sure do make pull-ups look like herculean tasks for people who beat up robots.

2) Was hoping that Cloud's swords would be played up as very heavy and something you can't just casually carry around but nah, Leslie can casually 1-hand it. Nbd.

3) Lotta people in Midgar that can keep up with SOLDIERs but I guess having an army of Rufus Shinras would be a real problem. I can't help feel unimpressed by them watching Rude blocking them with his bare arms.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

RareAcumen posted:

2) Was hoping that Cloud's swords would be played up as very heavy and something you can't just casually carry around but nah, Leslie can casually 1-hand it. Nbd.

It was in a bag of holding at the time.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The Aerith resolution in Chapter 14 is eerie. This isn't the same character as in the other chapters.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

anakha posted:

The Aerith resolution in Chapter 14 is eerie. This isn't the same character as in the other chapters.

Yeah, I think both Aerith and Sephiroth knows this isn't their first rodeo.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah, I think both Aerith and Sephiroth knows this isn't their first rodeo.

Even more than that I think.

The impression I get is that the Aerith we see in Chapters 2, 8-12 and 16-18 can see things, but isn't 100% certain of what they lead to nor of herself.

The Aerith in Chapter 14 gave me a different vibe, an much older vibe. What tipped me off especially was her thanking Cloud for all the moments and memories, when the Aerith we met in Chapter 2 didn't even know him yet and by the time of her abduction had known him for just about half a day.

My speculation is that Chapter 14 Aerith is from AC, and while she's been feeding memories to FF7R Aerith, they're still separate people.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was pretty bizarre how that version of Aerith declared that she really didn't mind being with Shinra, then a couple chapters later, she's in Hojo's cage clearly trying not to freak out while he goes all "YOUR MOTHER WAS BEAUTIFUL, I KEEP HER ON MY SHELF"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It was a dream hth.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

stev posted:

It was a dream hth.

...or was it? :tinfoil:

Seriously though, I was thinking that also initially, but 'don't fall in love with me' is a weird message for your subconscious to be providing.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

One theory I had is that neither Aerith nor Sephiroth can see the future - but the Planet can, and they each keep getting glimpses, maybe even just emotional impressions, from the Planet due to each having something of a connection to it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

anakha posted:

My speculation is that Chapter 14 Aerith is from AC, and while she's been feeding memories to FF7R Aerith, they're still separate people.

Aerith is actually getting her info from Aeris.

Also, I was reading up on some Square titles, and I did not know that Xenogears was originally pitched as the script for Final Fantasy 7 but Square thought it was way too dark for an FF title. They let it be something else, after which it was then pitched as a sequel to Chrono Trigger. Just imagine if FF7 had been anything like XG or if FF7R pulls some of its time influences from either XG or CT.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Agents are GO! posted:

One theory I had is that neither Aerith nor Sephiroth can see the future - but the Planet can, and they each keep getting glimpses, maybe even just emotional impressions, from the Planet due to each having something of a connection to it.

For Sephiroth, I subscribe to Reunion Theory being far more expansive than simply space. Like "If split apart, Jenova will reunite upon the body, it's also a hive mind. Sephiroth is in control, hence why Reunion focuses on him in the Northern Crater, a place of high Lifestream density, Sephiroth can't be absorbed by the Lifestream, So why couldn't reunion theory cross time too?"

For Aerith, yeah I'm assuming she's getting visions from the planet, but she's clearly trying to change things. Both her Discovery scene in Chapter 8 (She talks about giving up, it's what she does best. Which is in pure contrast to her character this entire time. Then later in Chapter 10 she maintains her statement the future isn't fixed in stone, or, it's what she likes to believe.) I think most importantly is when she talks about the Whispers removing 'a part of her' when they touch her, I assume those to be memories of the future.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

anakha posted:

Even more than that I think.

The impression I get is that the Aerith we see in Chapters 2, 8-12 and 16-18 can see things, but isn't 100% certain of what they lead to nor of herself.

The Aerith in Chapter 14 gave me a different vibe, an much older vibe. What tipped me off especially was her thanking Cloud for all the moments and memories, when the Aerith we met in Chapter 2 didn't even know him yet and by the time of her abduction had known him for just about half a day.

I like this reading of it. I also got Aerith first time through the game and I thought it was 100% telling me that Aerith was time traveling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

It was in a bag of holding at the time.

No it wasn't.

DeathChicken posted:

It was pretty bizarre how that version of Aerith declared that she really didn't mind being with Shinra, then a couple chapters later, she's in Hojo's cage clearly trying not to freak out while he goes all "YOUR MOTHER WAS BEAUTIFUL, I KEEP HER ON MY SHELF"

Yeah, nothing would make me happier than to have a long conversation with Hojo while he's creaming himself about how he dissected my mom and didn't let a single drop of blood go to waste