Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm happy that this LP exists, because I would never play this game (hella scared about being underwater).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

FriskyBoat posted:

IMO, Reapers are way scarier than Ghosts. Ghosts are more dangerous, but they're also more visible or in generally better lit areas. Reapers tend to stick to areas that have bad visibility, which makes it easy for the giant fish to sneak up on you.

Reapers are one of the few creatures in the game that aren't bioluminescent and that makes them incredibly sneaky.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

inflatablefish posted:

We're a Non-Essential Systems Maintenance Chief. We're basically a Space Janitor.

I took that to mean [Non-Essential] Systems Maintenance Chief. As in non-essential personnel, "your life is important to us as a valued member of the Alterra family...just not very".

From the logs, your shipmates seem to have been decent people. Alterra can go gently caress itself but that's par for the course for space future megacorporations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Alterra and shipwreck dad are the absolute worst of capitalism, Marguerite is an adrenaline crazed merc, everyone else is fairly reasonable.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The blurb the PDA makes about the Prawn suit when you construct it the most accurate thing in this game.

I love the Prawn.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Loxbourne posted:

From the logs, your shipmates seem to have been decent people.

Hahahah, I look forward to a certain PDA being discovered if I'm remembering it right.

Also yeah, Reapers don't glow and they make a sound that makes you dread encountering them in advance. The sounds, rather than reducing terror by warning you that Reapers are around, instead just crank up the anxiety of meeting one. Honestly the only animals in Subnautica that make nice sounds are the Reefbacks, they're soothing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FriskyBoat posted:

IMO, Reapers are way scarier than Ghosts. Ghosts are more dangerous, but they're also more visible or in generally better lit areas. Reapers tend to stick to areas that have bad visibility, which makes it easy for the giant fish to sneak up on you.
Agreed. I find Ghosts more pretty than dangerous. They're majestic, they're grand, they're beautiful... But they are not good at being an effective threat since they can be seen from a mile away.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 8, 2020

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

malkav11 posted:

Are there enough fragments out in the wider sea to get the Prawn Suit going without visiting that bay? Obviously if you know it's there and are willing to risk a Reaper the bay is easier. But I could see someone not figuring that out.
There might be but you will have to go out into the Dunes to get enough of them, RNGesus willing. I think I managed to get 11 or so before completely exhausting all of my non-Dunes wreck options.

So you could either risk a single Sea Satan by picking them up in the Aurora Bay, or a handful of them in the Dunes :v:

PurpleXVI posted:

Honestly the only animals in Subnautica that make nice sounds are the Reefbacks, they're soothing.

Unless they get stuck on something and you get to hear them moan every few seconds for however long you're in range to hear them. Then it rapidly becomes annoying.

FriskyBoat posted:

Reaper's do the least amount of damage out of all the giant Sea Satans in the ocean.

Damage is also the absolutely least dangerous thing they can do to you.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

inflatablefish posted:

We're a Non-Essential Systems Maintenance Chief. We're basically a Space Janitor.

Perhaps he's Head Space Janitor, but yeah. The devs have specifically said Riley is essentially a janitor. That said, there's a hell of a mess to clean up and he's the only one around to do the cleaning.

I think that was still a part of the Aurora and not the Degassi, because it mentions the Mongolian ambassador who was only on the Aurora. I'm pretty sure it's mentioned the Degassi crew remnants entirely scrapped what was left just to make the stuff on the floating island. For their other stuff they had to work hard and find native metal sources.

As for the difference between Reapers and Ghosts and their nastiness, I find a handful of bonesharks to be even worse than either once I have a Prawn because even loading one up with armor modules, they can work together to tear it up extremely fast because they're so drat agile they can get in more hits for faster DPS, resulting in "where the hell did 80% of my Prawn's HP just go?" being the first thing I notice on it being damaged.

ThingOne posted:

Reapers are one of the few creatures in the game that aren't bioluminescent and that makes them incredibly sneaky.
Actually they are, very faintly. It's pretty much only really spottable at night and with you essentially getting up in their face, which is generally the worst possible plan for dealing with them so it's not any real help, but it's there.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I've seen a number of people assume Ryley is a male name (here and elsewhere), but it's not gender specific. And I haven't seen any sign that the game assigns a gender to the protagonist otherwise, so I don't think that we can assume that. (Indeed, my suspicion is that it's deliberately not explicit so that players can identify however they would like to.)

azren
Feb 14, 2011

malkav11 posted:

I've seen a number of people assume Ryley is a male name (here and elsewhere), but it's not gender specific. And I haven't seen any sign that the game assigns a gender to the protagonist otherwise, so I don't think that we can assume that. (Indeed, my suspicion is that it's deliberately not explicit so that players can identify however they would like to.)

The voice clips we hear upon injury sound male to me, but I'm willing to shrug my shoulders and accept whatever.

Very much looking forward to seeing some of these nastier super predators, though. The creature design in this game is great! and fairly horrifying.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

azren posted:

The voice clips we hear upon injury sound male to me, but I'm willing to shrug my shoulders and accept whatever.

Very much looking forward to seeing some of these nastier super predators, though. The creature design in this game is great! and fairly horrifying.

I'm guessing one of my favorites is coming up pretty soon, since the Blood Kelp and Grand Reef biomes have been revealed and the LP is starting to go deeper.

It's the indigestion echo octopus

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

malkav11 posted:

It's not an obvious thing to do, but you can put a window in a scanner room and take a camera drone around to see the body model.

(Some people have taken this even farther using glitches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYWLttrX81M)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dyz posted:

I'm guessing one of my favorites is coming up pretty soon, since the Blood Kelp and Grand Reef biomes have been revealed and the LP is starting to go deeper.

It's the indigestion echo octopus

Eructation Crustacean

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

anilEhilated posted:

Agreed. I find Ghosts more pretty than dangerous. They're majestic, they're grand, they're beautiful... But they are not good at being an effective threat since they can be seen from a mile away.

I mean... Thematically, that's 100% appropriate. They don't attack you because they want to eat you, they attack you because you ignored their bright coloration and massive size and entered their territory, and now they're going to make it extremely clear to you why that was a bad idea.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Wait, we're a what?

Are you saying we're effectively Roger Wilco?

Oh god, it's Space Quest all over again. :psyduck:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
To be fair, being non-essential maintenance chief doesn't mean he's *bad* at anything, just that he was a low flunky in the pecking order. The guy who fixes the vending machines and doors is a lot more useful in this situation than the xenobiologists would have been.

Also Reapers are surprisingly sneaky. I have almost punched my monitor more than once because I got out of my Seamoth to pick something up, and turned around to see a Reaper powerbombing my sub to scrap.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Gothsheep posted:

To be fair, being non-essential maintenance chief doesn't mean he's *bad* at anything, just that he was a low flunky in the pecking order. The guy who fixes the vending machines and doors is a lot more useful in this situation than the xenobiologists would have been.

I like that it neatly explains why we're so good with the repair tool. Riley is probably very, very glad he logged all those hours maintaining the emergency equipment stores just now (shame about the data corruption on the emergency PDA, must log that when he gets back to civilisation).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm just happy that Ryley has an early 2000s haircut

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

bony tony posted:

I'm just happy that Ryley has an early 2000s haircut

I read somewhere that when asked about his hair, the devs responded, "He really likes hair gel."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Shei-kun posted:

Are you saying we're effectively Roger Wilco?
The image I got when reading his rank was Dave Lister.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hair gel holding up despite hundreds of hours underwater. Good advertisment for the brand.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
#16 - Big Boy Toys

Feels like I just posted the last one, but nope! It's been three days already!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That colour scheme!
All aboard the party U-Boat!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So did that escape shuttle transmission cut off before they told us how to make the engine?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I suppose that was the PDA people were talking about when I said the crew sounded like decent people.

Given there was a nasty incident during the game's development with a sound designer, I rather suspect that was a douchelord sticking something in to Totally Own The SJWs.

This measurably decreases my interest in paying money for the game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I really need to get around to building the Prawn myself. I have a mod that lets me add Prawn suit arms to the Seamoth but it's a bit wonky and I've already managed to lose one by loading my save.

Also the Cyclops colours reminds me of some english brand of candy.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

By popular demand posted:

That colour scheme!
All aboard the party U-Boat!

With that color scheme, it should be called The Slaanesh.

Are you gonna build the Vehicle Bay ever

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It's impossible to finish the game without one, be patient.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Aw dang I was trying to put this toy on my headboard but I slipped and fell on the bed

guess I may as well have a nap while I'm here

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

Given there was a nasty incident during the game's development with a sound designer, I rather suspect that was a douchelord sticking something in to Totally Own The SJWs.

Why? It's mostly showing off what Alterra's society is like.

DoubleNegative went through the little plot line in reverse. If you come through the other way, you first see the message from the Prawn bay guy inviting someone to try out the suits. Then you go to his room and see the official advice on how people of means deserve to get everything including in relationships, and if your partner wants to see someone else then you should spend time thinking about how to be richer. Then you see the message with the girl breaking up with her girlfriend, quoting that advice verbatim.

It's a demonstration of the lovely capitalist society of Alterra, along with other bits and pieces like the notification you'll be charged for all the gold and diamonds you used to survive.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Why? It's mostly showing off what Alterra's society is like.

DoubleNegative went through the little plot line in reverse. If you come through the other way, you first see the message from the Prawn bay guy inviting someone to try out the suits. Then you go to his room and see the official advice on how people of means deserve to get everything including in relationships, and if your partner wants to see someone else then you should spend time thinking about how to be richer. Then you see the message with the girl breaking up with her girlfriend, quoting that advice verbatim.

It's a demonstration of the lovely capitalist society of Alterra, along with other bits and pieces like the notification you'll be charged for all the gold and diamonds you used to survive.

Yeah, this was all I really saw it as, too. It's loving awful, and does a great job of expressing how utterly hosed the society is. It almost makes me wonder if we wouldn't be happier just staying here.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Never apologize for going mad with power over the Prawn. You get a power mech with jump jets underwater! It's amazing!

And it gets even better when you get the arms.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

azren posted:

Yeah, this was all I really saw it as, too. It's loving awful, and does a great job of expressing how utterly hosed the society is. It almost makes me wonder if we wouldn't be happier just staying here.

At the very least the world in general would be likely better off; giving Alterra access to all this alien tech seems like it would be extremely bad.

Also picked this game up as a result of the LP (albeit a while back). The game really does suffer for the lack of a map; I've basically gone through everything that can be easily reached and could technically get down to the depth level of the Alien Labs mentioned in the clues, but the directions aren't terribly useful and I think I'm just repeatedly going over the same ground trying to figure out how to get "southwest-ish" from the QEP, ~800 meters down.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I found the entrance to that by completely random while searching. Pretty sure I've forgotten the exact location because it needed another tablet to get inside so I didn't explore it. It's not really something I carry on me at all times.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

There's multiple entrances to the 800m area, I found one close to the 500m Degasi base, so just follow that beacon and go deeper from there. The sonar upgrade helps as well, visibility isn't the best down there.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tamba posted:

There's multiple entrances to the 800m area, I found one close to the 500m Degasi base, so just follow that beacon and go deeper from there. The sonar upgrade helps as well, visibility isn't the best down there.

I found that one by accident when exploring the far end of said 800 m area.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

MShadowy posted:

At the very least the world in general would be likely better off; giving Alterra access to all this alien tech seems like it would be extremely bad.

Also picked this game up as a result of the LP (albeit a while back). The game really does suffer for the lack of a map; I've basically gone through everything that can be easily reached and could technically get down to the depth level of the Alien Labs mentioned in the clues, but the directions aren't terribly useful and I think I'm just repeatedly going over the same ground trying to figure out how to get "southwest-ish" from the QEP, ~800 meters down.

I would very much recommend the Easycraft and Map mods linked in the first post of this thread, make life A LOT less annoying, and would also say that there are multiple ways to get to where you are looking, so if you just go very deep somewhere, you should eventually find it.

Guper fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 10, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I loved having access to the Cyclops, it feels so cozy. Everything about it is well-crafted. Plus if you're playing on Survival you can jam some planters in there and have a constant supply of fruit while exploring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I feel like it'd make more sense to dock the Prawn Suit in the Cyclops than the Seamoth since the latter is mobile enough you don't need to carry it so you could probably store it in the base's Moonpool if you're not using it whereas the Prawn seems is dense enough to be effected by gravity hence the necessity of a jetpack.

PurpleXVI posted:

I loved having access to the Cyclops, it feels so cozy. Everything about it is well-crafted. Plus if you're playing on Survival you can jam some planters in there and have a constant supply of fruit while exploring.

That's actually why I think Freedom mode kinda misses the point cause a good number of things like the heat knife and planters, especially the indoor ones, were built for Survival mode and thus aren't as viable in Freedom.

Like I get that Freedom is a convenience mode but this game really seems to be built around the survival mode not just mechanically but even its lore such as the Degassi logs and your crewmates worrying about surviving.