Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I'm pretty sure it's cause if you get banned, you can just make a new steam account, family share to it, then continue on with the same save.

It's honestly a bit of a shame, cause I wanted to try that new cinders mod. Problem is, going online will get you banned with it, so the mod developer suggests family sharing to another account and just letting that get banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/vaatividya/status/1258409533409386498?s=21

I just love that image so much

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

BadMedic posted:

I'm pretty sure it's cause if you get banned, you can just make a new steam account, family share to it, then continue on with the same save.

It's honestly a bit of a shame, cause I wanted to try that new cinders mod. Problem is, going online will get you banned with it, so the mod developer suggests family sharing to another account and just letting that get banned.

Tallgeese posted:

Incredible. What prompted it exactly?

Imagine they had been stupid enough to do this back when everyone and their mother was afraid that somebody like Malcolm Reynolds could get them softbanned.

And I remind you there was in fact a technique to mass-add certain items to other people without their consent.

Nuebot posted:

I'm guessing it's namco-bandai who's behind it because they're really, really weird about streaming and stuff. For example, you just straight up can not stream Gundam Breaker 3 or the PS4 Super Robot Wars games at all. For absolutely no reason, and the games already block you from recording cinematics and stuff or taking screenshots during certain parts of the games.

I guess I'm the one goon that really likes DS3 pvp over the other DS games huh. Bandai have basically said that this move was to address the hacker problem on PC, where in the past few months there have been a lot more of the malicious hackers that inject invalid items on you in order to get you softbanned online. Bandai's support answer to unsuspecting innocent players is still "we'll grant you a one-time unban if you delete your character and wait until after a week/month, but don't let it happen again or you'll be permabanned!"

Family sharing the game to another account was a way to avoid it happening again and eating a permaban. You still had to start over too, saves are not transferable between steam accounts.

None of the item injectors trip the "anti-cheat" at all, and it's not like ending family sharing will stop them either. Malcolm Reynolds is still doing his thing, and even made a short video about why this won't do poo poo.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-uUkuk3OoA

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Saint Riot owns so much and is the only dark souls streamer I can stomach

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
1. Who is Malcolm Reynolds in Dark Souls context?
2. What is powerstancing?
3. Is playing DS1 Remastered on the Switch (undocked) a good idea? I'm just waiting for it to go on sale.

What's your favorite cheese technique for certain types of enemies? I just wanna hear creative ways to kill tough foes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Powerstance is the fan name for DS2’s dual wielding system

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Schneider Heim posted:

3. Is playing DS1 Remastered on the Switch (undocked) a good idea? I'm just waiting for it to go on sale.

What's your favorite cheese technique for certain types of enemies? I just wanna hear creative ways to kill tough foes.

1. Solaire, for sure
2. In DS2, if you have 1.5x the required weapon’s str and dex, you can hold Y/triangle to switch to a mode with unique moveset
3. It’s alright. the music can sound like butts though at moments

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Schneider Heim posted:

I sometimes cheese bosses if I don't feel like fighting them again. In DS3 you can cheese the 2nd stage of Prince Lothric by standing in a certain spot right behind where they spawn in and kill him with a bow. As long as you don't move or hit Lorian they won't aggro you.

The charged R2 on the Astora greatsword is just broken for fighting any NPC, including Halflight.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Logan 5 posted:

The charged R2 on the Astora greatsword is just broken for fighting any NPC, including Halflight.

oh cool I just got that weapon

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Schneider Heim posted:

It's Pate. Or Creighton. You get to decide which one.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Schneider Heim posted:

1. I'm moderately sure it's just the name of an infamous hacker
2. something DS3 has to poorly emulate with dual-wield weapons (like the Caestus)
3. I had zero issues playing it and it sweetened many long plane rides for me. Go for it!

My favorite "cheese" technique is actually the Buckler. A surprising amount of enemies shut down completely if you parry them, and I find it easier to parry than trying to dodge well for all their attacks. Black Knights are one such enemy (though I know you find them doable), as are some bosses.

Another strategy I like is jump-attacking with super heavy weapons. It's been something I've utilized since DS1: for many heavy weapons, the quickest attack you can get out is the jump attack, and it closes gaps as well. You can alpha-strike and completely paste some assholes really well once you get the timing on the buttons down.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I beat the Deacons of the Deep. I chugged a lot of Estus to kill the giant before the area, then almost died to the Cathedral Knight because I stopped to summon Horace, and tried to summon Anri. It cornered me and I rolled just in time to let the iframes kick in against the vertical slash it did. I was wearing the Pontiff's Left Eye so I wasn't really in any danger from the boss, and Anri & Horace distracted the main pack enough. I think the hardest stretch of the Cathedral was the path to the first shortcut, it took me about three tries to open it (on my 2nd, I opened a door with no less than four hollows wailing on my back). I'll take some time to farm the Cathedral Knights, get to the Rosaria bonfire, and save Siegward idk.

Can Farron Keep be speedrunned?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yes. use a dagger with quickstep(there is a dual dagger just a bit earlier in road of sacrifices you can grab) and quickstep your way through the swamp.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
So I want to participate in some pick up jolly cooperation and I see ~21k people on pc but can't seem to get summoned or see any summons at what I consider "normal" soul level and weapon upgrade level for each area.

I've tried lvl 25 +2 in road of sacrifices and cathedral of the deep and am now 37 +6 at church of yorshka. I don't have a password on and can get invasions and blue sentinel/watchdogs of farron summons just fine so it's not a connection issue.

I assume just level and upgrade ranges have shifted since I last played? Anyone have anecdotal perspective on where I should be to get co-op hits at various areas?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
people don't normally do non-password summons unless they are stuck on a boss and no one is stuck on like, deacons of the deep in 2020

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I got summoned pretty darn frequently when I placed my sign at Nameless King a couple months ago, almost as much as I did much closer to the launch date. Other bosses were crap shoots though.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Yeah you got to place signs in front of what might be considered hard bosses if you want more rando summons. Put it in front of Pontiff instead of in Yorskha's, although you'll still be waiting a while probably.

Also SL37 is low for there, SL50-60 +6 would be more optimal for Irithyll/Pontiff.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finally did DS3's DLC, and man, Gael is what I look for in a true final boss battle. He's the right kind of challenge I want from a Souls fight: not overly complex combos, reasonable hitboxes, gives you enough room to actually heal/attack, will punish blatantly stupid moves. Friede can gently caress off, I'll play an actual character action game if I want that poo poo. Gael Bro 4 Life

And well, I guess I bid a fine dark soul to all of you too!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Is Dks3 the first game where they actually mention a Dark Soul by name.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

WaltherFeng posted:

No, Kaathe chats about it in DS1

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Kaathe posted:

The truth I shall share without sentiment.
After the advent of fire, the ancient lords found the three souls.
But your progenitor found a fourth, unique soul.
The Dark Soul.

Your ancestor claimed the Dark Soul and waited for Fire to subside.
And soon, the flames did fade, and only Dark remained.
Thus began the age of men, the Age of Dark.
However…
Lord Gwyn trembled at the Dark.
Clinging to his Age of Fire, and in dire fear of humans,
and the Dark Lord who would one day be born amongst them,
Lord Gwyn resisted the course of nature.
By sacrificing himself to link the fire, and commanding his children to shepherd the humans,
Gwyn has blurred your past, to prevent the birth of the Dark Lord.
I am the primordial serpent.
I seek to right the wrongs of the past to discover our true Lord.
But the other serpent, Frampt, lost his sense, and befriended Lord Gwyn.
Undead warrior, we stand at the crossroad.
Only I know the truth about your fate.
You must destroy the fading Lord Gwyn, who has coddled Fire and resisted nature,
and become the Fourth Lord, so that you may usher in the Age of Dark!

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I know this is the DLC thread, but the generic DS3 one seems kinda dead.

I swear to god, sometimes this game knows what you want and just tells you to go eat poo poo.

I decided I wanted to play around with the flamberge on a new character and have been doing laps around the cliff underside bonfire killing that one thrall (and the workers) for two hours now. I've gained...six? seven levels? and I've gotten a handful of titanite shards from the fucker along with 3 hoods. I've also gotten about 4 complete sets of worker gear and 3 fire gems, but no flamberge.

Anyone feel like dropping a sign there and handing me one? I'm currently level 27. (I'm unsure about regions or the best way to set that up if there is one--I'm normally just a PVE guy.)

I'm also hoping that just by posting this it will drop, since poo poo often works like that.

Edit: Got it. : p

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 11, 2020

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

There's another DS3 thread??? :confused:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
technically ds1 and 2 are also 3 threads, they are all kind of interchangeable.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 11, 2020

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Logan 5 posted:

I guess I'm the one goon that really likes DS3 pvp over the other DS games huh. Bandai have basically said that this move was to address the hacker problem on PC, where in the past few months there have been a lot more of the malicious hackers that inject invalid items on you in order to get you softbanned online. Bandai's support answer to unsuspecting innocent players is still "we'll grant you a one-time unban if you delete your character and wait until after a week/month, but don't let it happen again or you'll be permabanned!"

Family sharing the game to another account was a way to avoid it happening again and eating a permaban. You still had to start over too, saves are not transferable between steam accounts.

None of the item injectors trip the "anti-cheat" at all, and it's not like ending family sharing will stop them either. Malcolm Reynolds is still doing his thing, and even made a short video about why this won't do poo poo.

I found effects that give items way back when DS3 was released on PC while I was testing all the effects, and yeah, they absolutely will not trip the anti-cheat. The anti-cheat is absolutely useless, and every single anti-cheating measure From has ever tried has just fostered fear in the playerbase while doing absolutely nothing to deter hackers. That is pretty much why I simply quit DS3 early, I figured online was going to be a shitshow no questions asked.

This was compounded because DS3 releasing was the start of absolute assholes releasing their cheats day one. This was much, much, much less of a problem in the previous games because for a long time, many people kept stuff to themselves.

Schneider Heim posted:

Malcolm Reynolds is a guy who has a significant fanbase built upon screwing around with people in online videogames using hacks. He is actually a reasonably nice fellow if you speak to him. He is also correct when he says that From's anticheat measures are worse than worthless.

The funny part is that he was never the best hacker in terms of technical skill, he got his notoriety through sheer determination to get his desired targets and showmanship. It's impressive in its own way. There are a couple of people who know way more, but they just don't show themselves as much.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 11, 2020

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

axolotl farmer posted:

There's another DS3 thread??? :confused:

I just assumed there was from the title of this one (and assumed it was dead after I couldn't find it in the first few pages).
:shrug:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

aas Bandit posted:

I just assumed there was from the title of this one (and assumed it was dead after I couldn't find it in the first few pages).
:shrug:

Nah,looks like it's the original thread renamed to advertise that the DLC is now available. Same happened with ashes of ariandel I think.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

All of the Dark Souls threads are all of the Dark Souls threads

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I can't remember what video games were like before Souls

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

WaltherFeng posted:

crysis 1 was a big thing around that time i think

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

WaltherFeng posted:

Pretty sure the difference was we'd talk about them without comparing the other games/series/genres to Souls or one of its core aspects.

Tallgeese posted:

I found effects that give items way back when DS3 was released on PC while I was testing all the effects, and yeah, they absolutely will not trip the anti-cheat. The anti-cheat is absolutely useless, and every single anti-cheating measure From has ever tried has just fostered fear in the playerbase while doing absolutely nothing to deter hackers. That is pretty much why I simply quit DS3 early, I figured online was going to be a shitshow no questions asked.

This was compounded because DS3 releasing was the start of absolute assholes releasing their cheats day one. This was much, much, much less of a problem in the previous games because for a long time, many people kept stuff to themselves.

Its kind of mind-boggling to me that a series with such an impact and that still has a pretty active playerbase for all three games can be so horribly mismanaged and neglected.

Like I get that it is PC and FROM/Bandai don't have a clue, and execs probably just want to chase whatever new hotness with microtransactions and what every 13 year old in the world plays anyway. But even so.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Logan 5 posted:

Its kind of mind-boggling to me that a series with such an impact and that still has a pretty active playerbase for all three games can be so horribly mismanaged and neglected.

Like I get that it is PC and FROM/Bandai don't have a clue, and execs probably just want to chase whatever new hotness with microtransactions and what every 13 year old in the world plays anyway. But even so.

Speaking of mismanagement, Malcolm Reynolds just got one of his many accounts unbanned by Bandai Namco support.

Really punishing those hackers, guys.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Logan 5 posted:

The multiplayer component has always been weirdly vestigial. It's arguably a defining trait of the Souls games as games, but FROM has never been willing to commit to anything more than a token implementation of the kinds of rigorous safeguards needed to ensure an enjoyable multiplayer experience.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm not sure it's a lack of commitment. It feels more like a lack of knowledge. Never forget that these are the dudes who said Dark Souls 2 used dedicated servers for connections between players.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
One thing I recall before Dark Souls is how the action RPG genre had an identity crisis. Before Dark Souls ARPGs were essentially middling action games where you can also level up your character.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you can't really lump literally all ARPGs together like that

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Ive been replaying Demon's Souls and it owns bones. But it's kinda funny comparing the experience versus how I played the game when it was relatively new.

Now I play the game like developers originally intended (exploring, choosing which stats to focus on, upgrading different weapons to exploit weaknesses etc) but way back I had no idea what I was doing and sorta tried to play it like a JRPG where numbers go up by grinding a lot.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 11, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Amppelix posted:

you can't really lump literally all ARPGs together like that

True but a big reason why is because the genre as a whole didn't really have much of an identity to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does a genre need an identity?