Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

2010:
Alien vs. Predator
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
BioShock 2
Blacklight: Tango Down
Breach
Call of Duty: Black Ops
GoldenEye 007 (starring Daniel Craig)
Halo: Reach
MAG
Metro 2033
Medal of Honor
NecroVisioN: Lost Company
Perfect Dark (Xbox 360)
Quake Live
Red Steel 2
Sniper: Ghost Warrior
Singularity
Xonotic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Mierenneuker posted:

2010:
Alien vs. Predator
BioShock 2
Breach
MAG
Metro 2033
Medal of Honor
Perfect Dark (Xbox 360)
Quake Live
Red Steel 2
Singularity
Xonotic

Personally, BLOPS1 is the most fun I've ever had in an online COD game. Its also the one where I played with my friends the most, and was the best at it so....might be a bit biased there.

Bad Company 2 owns, of course.

I only recently played Bioshock 2, and do think it has the best combat out of them all. As for enviroments and level design...toss up between 1 & 2 for me there.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I totally forgot there was a AvP game that came out in 2010. Was it any good? AvP 2000 still holds a special place in my heart.

Also idk if this is an unpopular opinion but I remember enjoying that Goldeneye re-image game quite a bit even though it had nothing in common with the original. Some of the set-pieces and environments were quite good especially for a Wii game.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Red Steel 2 was a massive step up over the first game. The Motion+ driven focus on the sword turned the game into a kind of first person DMC alike and it was pretty good.

Daniel Craig Goldeneye was.. fine. It was basically CoD at heart with a few concessions to the idea of optional mission objectives and stuff and it was... fine. I had some fun with the time I spent with it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
This year isn’t terrible?

Bioshock 2 is the best of the series of course, and arguably so is Reach.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I totally forgot there was a AvP game that came out in 2010. Was it any good? AvP 2000 still holds a special place in my heart.

Also idk if this is an unpopular opinion but I remember enjoying that Goldeneye re-image game quite a bit even though it had nothing in common with the original. Some of the set-pieces and environments were quite good especially for a Wii game.

The campaigns are pretty short but are pretty fun. The multiplayer was a hilarious affair because you could perform instakill sneak attacks from the rear as the alien or predator. The catch being that you had to let the long animation play out, leading to conga lines of players waiting to backstab each other like hermit crabs changing shells.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think this is the first year I played the whole list, the last year before I became a salaryman <wistful sigh as the breeze blows a single cherry blossom and the framerate plunges inexplicably to single digits>

AvP 2010 is really forgettable. Like, I played it and beat it, but I couldn't tell you a single thing about the game at all.

Red Steel 2 was such a tremendous upgrade over the first one its a shame it bombed.

What I really want to talk about though, is MAG. What a completely wasted concept. 128 player battles the box shouts! Haha says the game when you play it, you need to earn the right to play that mode by grinding out a few hours of smaller battles, which teaches you the game plays like some leftover Killzone reheated. Well good thing the big battle mode will be-- haha, says the game, got you again! The big battle mode is just the small maps stitched together so a map of 64vs 64 is split into 4 16vs16 zones or 8 zones of 8v8 with no meaningful crossover between them!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm the congo lines of players in AVP2010 multiplayer just executing each other because they managed to ruin the mp.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Deakul posted:

I'm the congo lines of players in AVP2010 multiplayer just executing each other because they managed to ruin the mp.

Conga lines? You gotta spill the beans on that man

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Sony spent a lot of time chasing that massive fps thing until finally they made a passable big fps in the shape of planetside 2,which is still a mess and not terribly well designed. We had Planetside 1, MAG, Dust 514, and finally PS2.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Homora Gaykemi posted:

no shooter will ever live up to the majesty of the A Boy and His Blob remake's hug button

Deep Rock Galactic lets you pet Loot Bugs but on the other hand you'll probably blast them apart right afterwards :v:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Karasu Tengu posted:

Sony spent a lot of time chasing that massive fps thing until finally they made a passable big fps in the shape of planetside 2,which is still a mess and not terribly well designed. We had Planetside 1, MAG, Dust 514, and finally PS2.

Well they made it, then like a year later decided they had enough of the MMO scene and spun off SOE into Daybreak games.

I started messing with Planetside 2 recently and it's fun, in short bursts. It's mostly just chaos with no real over-arching objective but the community is dedicated and pretty friendly to new comers. And it does have its moments like when you witness a platoon of tanks get taken out by a bomber run, or a massive gun-fight between a few hundred players holding a compound that nearly freezes up your system.There's even a dedicated squad of goons who play.

I have no idea how populated the other games Daybreak manages (Everquest is still alive!) are.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mierenneuker posted:

This one was sort of the anti-Iron Grip Warlord for me. I picked it up assuming the co-op mode would be interesting and it...really wasn't. The deathmatch was shockingly not totally dead, but the balance was also rear end (full-auto sniper rifles, as I recall, blech). Also had a really dumb and ill-fitting system where you'd unlock keychain baubles to slap on your guns, which would affect their stats.

It did have one rad idea: Since everything was boilerplate future cyber war, flashbangs would straight-up bluescreen your helmet and smoke grenades didn't emit smoke but visual spam.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
singularity............ :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
More games need to let you shoot yourself

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

This one was sort of the anti-Iron Grip Warlord for me. I picked it up assuming the co-op mode would be interesting and it...really wasn't. The deathmatch was shockingly not totally dead, but the balance was also rear end (full-auto sniper rifles, as I recall, blech). Also had a really dumb and ill-fitting system where you'd unlock keychain baubles to slap on your guns, which would affect their stats.

It did have one rad idea: Since everything was boilerplate future cyber war, flashbangs would straight-up bluescreen your helmet and smoke grenades didn't emit smoke but visual spam.

I never played the original Blacklight, but I did play a billion hours of the free to play sequel and it was a really good COD clone with some cool future gimmicks like built in wallhacks.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

This goes way beyond FPS, but the Eidos side of Square-Enix currently has a bundle for charity on Steam that might be a great deal for you (the price depends on what you already own).
Stuff that is in it that is related to this thread:
- All the Deus Ex games (well, not Deus Ex GO, but obviously Deus Ex: The Fall!)
- Project Snowblind
- All the Thief games
- Daikatana
- Conflict: Denied Ops is a FPS too I guess

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 8, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I think by this year I had mostly given up on newer releases and regressed back to playing 90s shooters again.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Serephina posted:

Conga lines? You gotta spill the beans on that man

So, you had the ability to get behind players and execute them with impunity, there was literally no way to fight back and no reason not to use it all the time.

I don't know it's been years but I distinctly remember seeing lines of players just patiently waiting for eachother's kill animation to end so that they could kill that person and so on.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

I think by this year I had mostly given up on newer releases and regressed back to playing 90s shooters again.

:same:

Also I only had a laptop with integrated graphics that couldn't run anything more advanced than F.E.A.R. (which even then ran at 20FPS at minimum settings and crashed every hour or so)

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Deakul posted:

So, you had the ability to get behind players and execute them with impunity, there was literally no way to fight back and no reason not to use it all the time.

I don't know it's been years but I distinctly remember seeing lines of players just patiently waiting for eachother's kill animation to end so that they could kill that person and so on.

It didn't help that the core combat loop was rock-paper-scissors with light/heavy attack and block. It was so dull that the 4-second long backstabbing animations were comparatively less obnoxious, and the deathmatch maps--especially the one in the multiplayer beta--were so small you could immediately jump into the center of the area after respawning and wait to backstab the guy who was backstabbing the guy who backstabbed you. It was impressively dogshit.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
has anyone posted this yet, it seems Important

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ztU_I1fh8

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mierenneuker posted:

2010:
Alien vs. Predator
BioShock 2
Breach
MAG
Metro 2033
Medal of Honor
Perfect Dark (Xbox 360)
Quake Live
Red Steel 2
Singularity
Xonotic

Quite a few very solid games in this year

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Yeah I'd say AvP 2010 was pretty good

Angry_Ed posted:

Deep Rock Galactic lets you pet Loot Bugs but on the other hand you'll probably blast them apart right afterwards :v:

I really hope they announce a console port of that one soon cause it looks really fun

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've mentioned it before, but I enjoyed AvP2010. It was pretty decent.

Medal of Honor 2010 though... it's not a bad game, but it's just so dull. I played the campaign for a few hours and it was just... I don't think I've ever played such a soulless game before, or at least not one as technically competent as this. Everything worked, it looked fine, the shooting was ok for a Call of Duty-like, but I played through a firefight at an airfield and finally just stopped, thought for a moment, exited and uninstalled. It was a weird experience.

Singularity though, that game loving rocked. Which is a pretty impressive feat, considering the development issues it had. Raven was a masterclass developer, and them being moved to Call of Duty DLC immediately afterwards is still something I'm sad about to this day. Raven deserved better.

Black Ops is the most recent Call of Duty I've played, and I thought it was pretty decent. Better than MW2. The only other game on that list I played was Metro 2033, but I didn't get far because it ran like rear end on my old computer. Which is weird, I later played and finished Redux on the same computer and it ran fine, I guess the optimisation of the original was a bit weak? Good game though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

catlord posted:

Black Ops is the most recent Call of Duty I've played, and I thought it was pretty decent. Better than MW2. The only other game on that list I played was Metro 2033, but I didn't get far because it ran like rear end on my old computer. Which is weird, I later played and finished Redux on the same computer and it ran fine, I guess the optimisation of the original was a bit weak? Good game though.

The Redux version is a massive improvement performance wise, yes. The original is a bit like Crysis in that it looks impressive but is also not particularly well optimised.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Playing Timeshift and it is in desperate need of gibs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/sylefeb/status/1258808333265514497

Put Doom on a satellite and launch it into space.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

MAG rules! We used to LAN a few ps3s after everyone having tried the beta. Probably my favorite BF type game after 2142.

E: bf type game on a console heh, I dont think 2142 ever made it to console, but that one is my favorite pc bf

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Disposable Scud posted:

Playing Timeshift and it is in desperate need of gibs.

are there any recent games with gibs? It's like a lost artform, I just finished playing a bit of TFC with cl_gibcount 999 and watching people explode into a shower of gibs is beautiful

I know Half-Life Alyx has some but I think only from barnacles

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 9, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom Eternal, sort of

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The newest Call of Duty has them.

As DLC.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

We built a new PC so I decided to play through a backlog of games that I bought without the proper hardware to play them (namely Doom 2016, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and Wolfenstein: The Old Blood). Had a lot of fun with Doom. Everything about that game is slick as hell.

Wolfenstein was a bit rougher though, because I suck at that variety of shooter gameplay. Here are some thoughts:
  • Nazis are terrible shots. Most of the gameplay takes place in cramped halls where this doesn't apply, but any time you're in a wide open space all you have to do is stand out in the open and potshot skulls with your rifle. Even the so-called marksmen can't hit you worth a drat in that situation.

• The stealth gameplay in TNO mostly sucks. There are a few parts early on that aren't too bad, but it's so hard to suss out patrol paths and stay hidden that it just becomes a nuisance. TOB greatly improved this.

• Playing classic maps as modern BJ are actually a huge drag because they are designed for a character that could run 20 times faster (see also: Doom 2016's classic maps). I decided to get all the collectibles in TOB which means I had to find all the treasure in all of the Wolf3D shareware episodes and that took a significant chunk of the 16 hours I spent playing this.

HolyKrap posted:

are there any recent games with gibs? It's like a lost artform, I just finished playing a bit of TFC with cl_gibcount 999 and watching people explode into a shower of gibs is beautiful

In these games you can easily meat shower Nazis with a well-placed grenade or rocket.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

HolyKrap posted:

Killing Floor!!!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

HolyKrap posted:

Killing Floor 2 has them

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

[*]The stealth gameplay in TNO mostly sucks. There are a few parts early on that aren't too bad, but it's so hard to suss out patrol paths and stay hidden that it just becomes a nuisance. TOB greatly improved this.

You should play TNC they made it better and definitely didn't somehow make it worse and turn most the game into it :allears: (don't actually play TNC).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Was there ever a forced stealth section in TNO? Pretty sure I blasted my way through even when characters told me to be quiet.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mak0rz posted:

Playing classic maps as modern BJ are actually a huge drag because they are designed for a character that could run 20 times faster (see also: Doom 2016's classic maps).

Hopefully the next "older game's maps in new game as Easter egg" they do is putting Doom 3's maps in the next Doom Slayer game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I was botching stealth sections left and right in TNO, so if the resulting gunfight seemed a little hard it didn't bother me at all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Hopefully the next "older game's maps in new game as Easter egg" they do is putting Doom 3's maps in the next Doom Slayer game.

They'd have to take your boost and double jump away because you would immediately smack into a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

A lot of games tend to avoid gibs because of the effort of making multiple regions, but all the id games had them, and the example timeshift absolutely does have gibs, just only for extreme weapons.

In less fps realms the RE games lately have had very nice gore systems with some gameplay stuff tied to it.