Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rainbow Knight posted:

it's going to be a 5-4 court even if biden wins, so in the "near future" it's still not going to be reversed, so that's another reason to not worry about voting for biden

it's going to be a 6-3 court if biden loses, most likely

Epic High Five posted:

If the Dems were capable of learning lessons and adjusting strategy, they'd be aligning reforms along the now obvious fact that the executive can act largely without oversight or limits. Biden should know this especially because he was in Congress the entire time it was granting its own authorities and powers to the Executive so that they had more time to fundraise and wars could be announced and escalated quicker and with fewer incriminating votes on their records

this has literally nothing to do whatsoever with my post, or the subject of the discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

like if the argument is that we're helpless against whatever the SCOTUS decides, and also that it's going to be conservative for at least a generation, why bother with anything? How is RBG an argument to hold my nose and not one for Republicans to do so for Trump?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Willo567 posted:

You're not addressing the fact that the source of the story is from a far-right website.

who cares where it's from if she didn't deny it.

"I don't recall, but if I did say it I was joking anyway" is lawyer-speak for "I said it, I don't think you can prove it but I know it's possible you could so here's my pre-excuse for why it's fine"

And anyway, Barack Obama suggested assassinating the Jonas Brothers on national TV, which is way crazier and you were fine with it

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Anyone know if the 1930s German libs spent their time splitting hairs over whether Hitler or Strasser was the better person?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

evilweasel posted:

mitch abolished the scotus filibuster, they just need a simple majority

Not if the Democrats have their way!

https://twitter.com/SamSeder/status/1237187816192462848

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

mitch abolished the scotus filibuster, they just need a simple majority

Schumer vowed to bring it back if Democrats get a majority

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

is pepsi ok posted:

Anyone know if the 1930s German libs spent their time splitting hairs over whether Hitler or Strasser was the better person?

#MitIhm was the Social Democrats' campaign for President Hindenberg as the lesser evil compared to Hitler, because the most important goal was defeating the Communist candidate

You might remember President Hindenberg as...the guy who appointed Chancellor Hitler

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

evilweasel posted:

it's going to be a 6-3 court if biden loses, most likely

cool. then lets vote 3rd party or go on strike :hf:

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Reminder that RBG had a second cancer diagnosis in 2009 at age 76 or so and didn't retire and then also seemed to expect to have Clinton crown her replacement.

If the Supreme Court seats were so vitally important as to not be hosed around with, Dems sure aren't leading by example.

It's awfully bold of them to use their hubris to hold your vote hostage instead of just, I don't know, not piling hypocritical support behind a rapist.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

#MitIhm was the Social Democrats' campaign for President Hindenberg as the lesser evil compared to Hitler, because the most important goal was defeating the Communist candidate

You might remember President Hindenberg as...the guy who appointed Chancellor Hitler

Oh what, like if you don't learn from history or some dumb poo poo it'll just happen again because everyone made the same mistakes all over?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Maybe if Dems didn't suck at winning so much, they'd have gotten more than 4 appointments in the last 50 years.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

VitalSigns posted:

And anyway, Barack Obama suggested assassinating the Jonas Brothers on national TV, which is way crazier and you were fine with it

Do you believe he was actually serious

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shere posted:

Reminder that RBG had a second cancer diagnosis in 2009 at age 76 or so and didn't retire and then also seemed to expect to have Clinton crown her replacement.

If the Supreme Court seats were so vitally important as to not be hosed around with, Dems sure aren't leading by example.

It's awfully bold of them to use their hubris to hold your vote hostage instead of just, I don't know, not piling hypocritical support behind a rapist.

democrats begged RBG to retire while obama was president and democrats still held the senate, so openly people started getting pissed off at them on rbg's behalf

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I don't know about you all, but I think the guys who love super PACs and use them all the time and cram them full of their idiot offspring and lackeys and hangers-on and are a pillar of their intricate machine that funnels money into their election campaigns so Shell Oil and Aetna and Monsanto executives take them to nice dinners and set aside lucrative consulting work for them and their families, those guys are definitely gonna overturn Citizens United if they can just get the senate seats and judge appointments!!!

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

evilweasel posted:

democrats begged RBG to retire while obama was president and democrats still held the senate, so openly people started getting pissed off at them on rbg's behalf

Sounds like you know who you should be directing your ire at then, not the voters.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Dem vs Republican approach to the filibuster can be summed up as

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The tweet mentions Coons and re-instating the judicial filibuster, but the article is about removing the general filibuster in the Senate.

I'm not seeing a direct connection here.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shere posted:

Sounds like you know who you should be directing your ire at then, not the voters.

it might be oddly unique in this thread, which unfortunately i can believe, but i am fully capable of saying "rbg should have retired in 2012" and "if a republican is elected in 2020 they will likely be able to replace rbg"

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

No, I agree, I just don't find the argument compelling because it's yet another hostage being brought to us by liberals who can't run the country for poo poo around their massive egos.

e: I'm plenty aware of what happened. The fact that RBG had support from anyone politically aligned with her for not retiring as a septuagenarian with cancer when apparently literally everything hangs in the balance of who gets to replace what seat is ridiculous. It's not a leverage chip in 2020 for voting for a rapist because Democrats are bad at politics. Sorry.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 8, 2020

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Shere posted:

and of course the Dems controlled the Senate all the way up until 2014, so it's not like there wasn't a loving 5 year period where she could have been easily replaced*

(*assuming the Dems didn't make a voluntary decision to give up the seat, which is by no no means a certainty, but is also not a reason to keep voting for the same gaggle of utterly useless chucklefucks)

a keep observer will also note that 2014-2016 was only 1/4 of the Obama presidency, but somehow ~1/4 of the total federal judiciary is now made up of Trump administration appointments for ~some reason~

and of course Joe and his surrogates are vocally interested in bringing back the filibuster (as an excuse for inaction) and very pointedly disinterested in even beginning to address this situation

if you care about the courts its probably better not to throw your support behind people who manifestly do not

LGD fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 8, 2020

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I don't know about you all, but I think the guys who love super PACs and use them all the time and cram them full of their idiot offspring and lackeys and hangers-on and are a pillar of their intricate machine that funnels money into their election campaigns so Shell Oil and Aetna and Monsanto executives take them to nice dinners and set aside lucrative consulting work for them and their families, those guys are definitely gonna overturn Citizens United if they can just get the senate seats and judge appointments!!!

Same. We should absolutely vote for the most right wing of those guys, consistently, so that they're able to sell their political project of providing a barely convincing almost pro-wrestling tier fight against capital and the far right to their donors. Maybe, after losing countless elections nationwide, it will work this time. You and I just have to -believe- hard enough. They're good people. We matter.

evilweasel posted:

it's going to be a 6-3 court if biden wins, most likely

fyp

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 8, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They just make the proposition sound so enticing. This messaging makes me so excited to vote for Joe Biden.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Do you believe he was actually serious

Neither was Trump about bombing nk since he didn't do it did he.

Also lol if Trump suggested a drone strike on Rosie ODonnel liberals would flip their poo poo and cry that it's proof of mental instability. But Obama does it and haha it's just a funny joke! Ha, the President murdering teenagers, what a laugh riot, see it's funny because he really did murder kids younger than them who pissed him off less, so it's not even an empty threat haha it's something he would actually do! Comedy gold!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They just make the proposition sound so enticing. This messaging makes me so excited to vote for Joe Biden.

lol but I am voting

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

evilweasel posted:

sounds like RBG is a stupid piece of poo poo (who is also probably racist af) and should be blamed for giving trump her seat rather than voters

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Yeah you're conceding that they don't really give a poo poo about the court then since :decorum: Democrats got pissed at activists for trying to save the court.

Anyway Obama had an opportunity to flip the court in 2016 and he did nothing, so it's obviously not important and bringing up the court as a reason to elect the guy who helped lose it is dumb.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

VitalSigns posted:

Neither was Trump about bombing nk since he didn't do it did he.

Don't equate threatening to bomb a harmless boy band to threatening to bomb a country that's routinely threatened to destroy South Korea, Japan and the U.S., you jackass.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
At what point are we allowed to opt out of a clearly broken, corrupt and useless party? The supreme court will always be a potential hazard and if that's not the explicit hostage something else will be.

Meanwhile the world gets warmer.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sad Billionaire posted:

At what point are we allowed to opt out of a clearly broken, corrupt and useless party? The supreme court will always be a potential hazard and if that's not the explicit hostage something else will be.

Meanwhile the world gets warmer.

oh i'd say about four years ago

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

Willo567 posted:

Don't equate threatening to bomb a harmless boy band to threatening to bomb a country that's routinely threatened to destroy South Korea, Japan and the U.S., you jackass.

both would have been about as effective at moving us toward a more peaceful world

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/andrewfeinberg/status/1258759517824856065?s=21

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Joe Biden is a rapist.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

i remember the epic memes that came out of the booker campaign like

and uhhhh

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I made this exact analogy a while back, except that voting for Biden is like essential oils because you heard from a friend on facebook that the vaccine will turn you into Venezuela.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Joe Biden is a marginally less lethal form of cancer. Your health insurance party doesn't cover cancer removal, but they're happy to give you the option of this alternative cancer which by the way you will have to thank them for and continue to pay for treatment. A bunch of people online will happily spend hours talking about how while it'd be nice to not have cancer (which is an option, I mean the cancer's right there and everyone could simply choose to take it out if we'd all agree rather than swapping another cancer in), that's probably what Russia wants and actually having this Biden cancer is a step towards maybe having even a slightly less lethal cancer someday. Just look at the progression of cancers we've had in the past (discussion of the cancers in the past is not allowed). They claim not being in favor of Biden cancer means you're secretly in favor of Trump cancer.

Also Joe Biden cancer rapes you.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

B B posted:

Joe Biden is a rapist.

See you in six hours

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think Biden is prayer, because they’re going to end up blaming us for our insufficient enthusiasm when we die.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Yeah you're right threatening to bomb a harmless boy band is considerably more unhinged

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

B B posted:

Joe Biden is a rapist.

Could we just do what Dan Aykroyd did in Dragnet and refer him as The Rapist, Joe Biden?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtKUyfkBA2w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah you're right threatening to bomb a harmless boy band is considerably more unhinged

I wonder which is more unhinged: joking about bombing a boy band or genuinely telling people to drink disinfectant.