Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

D-Pad posted:

I don't believe a significant deficit of needs being met is needed any longer for people to go down this path. I think it was true in the past when conspiracy theories and rejecting reality were seen as more of an out-group thing and a much smaller percentage of people bought into them. In that environment, it took a significant deficit in your needs being met to buy into these things. The issues you faced had to overcome the social pressure from your family and friends who viewed these beliefs as crazy. Now, the ability to have an extensive social network over the internet that believes this garbage means there is much less social resistance that must be overcome. Karen not being able to go to the salon and get her nails done and having to wear a mask to the grocery store is enough "deprivation" to push somebody into the rabbit hole. I know waaaay too many people (look at many boomers) that have all of their (actual) needs met all of the time and have embraced this extremism wholeheartedly.

Right. This is looking at the people who voted for Trump and declaring them "economically anxious" all over again. People aren't jumping onto conspiracy theories out of any "needs not being met"; they're jumping onto conspiracy theories because it lets them argue that their vile points of view - that freedom means getting what they want when they want it no matter who else needs to suffer for it, that white male Christians should be in charge and minorities need to be shot when they get uppity - are actually normal, majority viewpoints but being suppressed by a conspiracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dett Rite
Oct 24, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
nvm

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

Wow what a shock yet another misleading tweet swinging from the left and hitting air getting posted here because "DEMS BAD AM I RIGHT GUYS"

I'd love to say we're better than this but clearly we aren't. Of course, this bill isn't going to do enough, but rather than discuss those merits we instead start from the framework of the bill is 100% bad and those drat clueless neoliberals are going to get us all killed (because you see the GOP is like fire and is not responsible for its actions or whatever that really bad metaphor was earlier this thread)

Bu-bu-but "Outflanking from The Left"! :downs:
The article linked says that Pelosi supports the Paycheck Guarantee Act, which provides grants to employers so they can then pay workers. Lazare believes that payments should be given directly to workers, instead of having their employer serve as a middleman. She is not making a judgment on the dollar amount, but rather the delivery method. How is the tweet misleading?

If possible, please avoid the phrase "outflanking from the left" in your response.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

LtStorm posted:

Nextdoor is a great model to fill at least one niche that social media could greatly help with which is community/neighborhood communication and cohesion.

Unfortunately the user base it's found is mostly xenophobes that want to discuss their very local xenophobic worries. Like homeless people they saw, or minorities they saw who they assume are homeless.

My neighborhood is rural enough that there was no Nextdoor for it last time I checked. But one of my neighbors recently had a flag with Trump's head on Rambo's body out on display, so I don't think I really need to talk to any of them.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Nextdoor is an ok place to sell/giving away stuff instead of reddit because its users are verified.

Otherwise yes it’s full of NIMBYs who post about apartments bringing “those people” into the neighborhood.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

T. Bombastus posted:

The article linked says that Pelosi supports the Paycheck Guarantee Act, which provides grants to employers so they can then pay workers. Lazare believes that payments should be given directly to workers, instead of having their employer serve as a middleman. She is not making a judgment on the dollar amount, but rather the delivery method. How is the tweet misleading?

If possible, please avoid the phrase "outflanking from the left" in your response.

The lack of context makes it misleading or makes the intent to post it misleading, especially when the bill was proposed by Pramilla Jayapal who is pretty darn progressive.

My problem is not that the bill has issues, cause it does and in fact discussing those issues is great. My problem is that more often than not these kinds of tweets are posted simply to go "hey look how useless Pelosi/other Bad Democrat is", when often times they're supporting something written or supported by progressive congresspeople who are somehow not blamed for writing or supporting the thing. :shrug:

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Nextdoor is an ok place to sell/giving away stuff instead of reddit because its users are verified.

Otherwise yes it’s full of NIMBYs who post about apartments bringing “those people” into the neighborhood.

A podcast I listen to (not a political one really, it's about movies) had one of the hosts describe Nextdoor as "Half 'I'm getting rid of this couch who wants to take it off my hands?' and half the worst boomer bullshit you can imagine"

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 8, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

TVs Ian posted:

My neighborhood is rural enough that there was no Nextdoor for it last time I checked. But one of my neighbors recently had a flag with Trump's head on Rambo's body out on display, so I don't think I really need to talk to any of them.

next door is literally exactly what you'd imagine it to be

'blacks gang member in a hoodie' (it's a 9 year old kid with a backpack walking home from school)
'hey your cat got hit by a car [big picture of smashed cat that you definitely did not want to see] it's on top of the garbage can in front of my house if you want it'
'salesmen going door to door, i think it's a scam, watch out [it's girl scout cookies]'
'hey does anyone want some free national geographics, we have most of 1982-1985. Some severe water damage and smoke smell from when they went through our housefire after my idiot husband fell asleep smoking'

and on and on. I know poc who have it literally just to get a headsup if anyone is calling the cops on them over nothing.

This is all even after they made some apparently non-trivial effort to minimize the sheer quantity of the racist boomer paranoia

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/LJSelsky/status/1258806120707170310

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Can't hear that expression anymore without thinking of Mallory Archer saying it, once again confirming that Republicans are literally cartoon villains.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

But... why? Isn't stimulus spending for regular people popular?
Does it not matter?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grondoth posted:

Does it not matter?

it may still shock people but republicans still are not planning on outflanking democrats from the left

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grondoth posted:

Does it not matter?
Republicans literally do not ever listen to or care about the feelings/opinions of their constituents unless those constituents are Nazis/Confederates/KKK Members etc.

evilweasel posted:

it may still shock people but republicans still are not planning on outflanking democrats from the left

They still totally could though...if this was an alternate dimension and they were completely different people.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

T. Bombastus posted:

I mean there are legitimate reasons to do it through employers, as many European countries have done. One of the biggest reasons is that many people get things like healthcare through their employers, and preventing people from losing healthcare during a pandemic should be a primary goal of any relief bill. Preventing employers from laying off employees also reduces the strain on already-collapsing unemployment systems, and when things get back to 'normal' it will allow businesses to reopen more efficiently instead of going through the process of rehiring all their workers.

Obviously as mentioned he bill isn't perfect and has a number of holes, and preferably would (and should!) be backed by additional stimulus payments to Americans to cover those who have already lost their jobs or who otherwise would fall through the cracks. But there are positive reasons for doing it this way, and it's frustrating to see someone dismiss a bill that Sanders himself supports because they think it's actually Pelosi just favoring businesses.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
It's just so relentlessly cruel. People really need that money, and you'd look good giving it to them.

God, I took a month or so away from politics and look at me, surprised by this

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Grondoth posted:

It's just so relentlessly cruel. People really need that money, and you'd look good giving it to them.

God, I took a month or so away from politics and look at me, surprised by this

The cruelty is the point, as they say these days.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I see. So....we're sinners burning in hell so we deserve what we get? What the gently caress does this nonsense even mean (I know it's a euphemistic way to say 'gently caress you')?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean we’re in economic hell (Senators are most certainly not)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/GreenvilleNews/status/1258801334641397766

quote:

Speaking to the media after touring the Milliken & Company plant near Pendleton, Graham acknowledged "there will be an increase in infections the more people get around each other."

"But we’ll have the capability to deal with it and manage it," Graham said. "And hopefully drug therapies will be available soon to lessen the effect on the individual who may catch the virus."

You keep telling yourself that, you rancid sack of poo poo.

So much for being pro-life

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

The lack of context makes it misleading or makes the intent to post it misleading, especially when the bill was proposed by Pramilla Jayapal who is pretty darn progressive.

My problem is not that the bill has issues, cause it does and in fact discussing those issues is great. My problem is that more often than not these kinds of tweets are posted simply to go "hey look how useless Pelosi/other Bad Democrat is", when often times they're supporting something written or supported by progressive congresspeople who are somehow not blamed for writing or supporting the thing. :shrug:
Oh my bad, I thought you were saying the tweet itself was misleading. That didn't seem fair, since Lazare made a specific complaint about Pelosi's policy goals and supported that complaint with a quote from her spokesman. Regardless of the merits of the argument, Lazare doesn't mislead about what her argument is.

Edit:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean there are legitimate reasons to do it through employers, as many European countries have done. One of the biggest reasons is that many people get things like healthcare through their employers, and preventing people from losing healthcare during a pandemic should be a primary goal of any relief bill. Preventing employers from laying off employees also reduces the strain on already-collapsing unemployment systems, and when things get back to 'normal' it will allow businesses to reopen more efficiently instead of going through the process of rehiring all their workers.
This all makes sense, thanks. Seems like we can have the best of both worlds by providing paycheck equivalents directly to employees, while providing grants to employers to cover benefits/overhead, but maybe there is some reason I don't see that made Jayapal decide to forgo direct payments.

T. Bombastus fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 8, 2020

rko
Jul 12, 2017

GreyjoyBastard posted:

it's also neither necessary nor sufficient in the cases of google/facebook/amazon because their competitive advantage isn't (especially in not-google) their technology, its their huge userbase / supply base, which lets them capture more users, which gives them a stronger advantage, which

making the Amazon and Facebook algorithms and code free and open-source doesn't really solve the problem

Make Amazon a department of the USPS.

Google and Facebook can be turned over to international bodies governing their operation.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

T. Bombastus posted:

Oh my bad, I thought you were saying the tweet itself was misleading. That didn't seem fair, since Lazare made a specific complaint about Pelosi's policy goals and supported that complaint with a quote from her spokesman. Regardless of the merits of the argument, Lazare doesn't mislead about what her argument is.

It's fine, admittedly my response was not very well explained.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

I wish reporters could make these guys explain what they mean by this. We can't grow food or maintain buildings unless we open the nail salons?

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I checked the nextdoor for my neighborhood and apparently theres some baby foxes around

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

T. Bombastus posted:

I'd also point out the very next paragraph said that the caucus hasn't really decided which bill they think is best so it is misleading in the sense that person tweeting is making it seem like Pelosi is blocking the bill.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1258805880537088002

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1258804881156120579

https://twitter.com/Bernstein/status/1258785679632486400

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1258559543774187522

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Solkanar512 posted:

And those other more populous states will throw the increasing death rates back in their faces. These governors haven’t backed down yet and I fail to see why they would back down now.

I think once the national media has made their pivot to the ecconomy which you are already starting to see the death rate argument won't be as strong anymore. Right now you can stand on the moral high ground with no issue, but in a month where there is no more stimulus, you have 25% of the country out of work and the White House and the media is pushing the states that are open are thriving even if it is a shame it will be harder to keep it up.

You are going to hear a lot of "Yes, but" in the coming weeks. The wealthy want things going again. It is fine for people who are getting by to go broke. It is not fine for the wealthy to go to just merely rich or the rich to go to comfortable. They have pretended long enough to care about the health and wellbeing of people.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

It’s really hard to interpret this as anything other than “if you’re suffering you deserve it so shut the gently caress up and leave me alone about it”.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I can see why Adam Carolla wants to he associated with this guy.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Promoted Pawn posted:

It’s really hard to interpret this as anything other than “if you’re suffering you deserve it so shut the gently caress up and leave me alone about it”.

Hell is a place of punishment. They're literally withholding stimulus from us to punish us for not saving their precious economy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Is Prager an albino or has he just never seen the sun in the last 40 years

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013
That's a really solid analogy, since it describes people in a terrible situation who could be helped by something relatively minor and easy to provide.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/baraGodzilla/status/1258682943716782080

For a fun game, watch this whole video and see if a) You can guess the product and/or service being sold before the end b) if you can avoid screaming

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

next door is literally exactly what you'd imagine it to be

'blacks gang member in a hoodie' (it's a 9 year old kid with a backpack walking home from school)
'hey your cat got hit by a car [big picture of smashed cat that you definitely did not want to see] it's on top of the garbage can in front of my house if you want it'
'salesmen going door to door, i think it's a scam, watch out [it's girl scout cookies]'
'hey does anyone want some free national geographics, we have most of 1982-1985. Some severe water damage and smoke smell from when they went through our housefire after my idiot husband fell asleep smoking'

and on and on. I know poc who have it literally just to get a headsup if anyone is calling the cops on them over nothing.

This is all even after they made some apparently non-trivial effort to minimize the sheer quantity of the racist boomer paranoia

I decided to load up Nextdoor and someone posted that they wanted to host a “Justice for Ahmaud” virtual fundraiser. I live in a very blue, ethnically mixed neighborhood but the comments to that post read like it was posted in “The Villages” or whatever. Just the worst kind of boomer-esq racism.

Guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fart Amplifier posted:

For a fun game, watch this whole video and see if a) You can guess the product and/or service being sold before the end b) if you can avoid screaming
Jesus Christ

Nobody is going to guess that correctly

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Angry_Ed posted:

They still totally could though...if this was an alternate dimension and they were completely different people.

Therefore there is zero difference. You see.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
I will also echo that Nextdoor for my neighborhood seems to skew very conservative even for a very liberal area, but it is also a great place to find used pianos if you are in the market. I got mine for 50 bucks, and you can probably find them for free in some places.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Fart Amplifier posted:

oh my god

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Djarum posted:

It will. The House isn't running back to work any time soon. You are going to start seeing in the next week or so the White House and some Governors start talking about how things are starting to turn around economically in the states that have reopened, trying to push the states that haven't into doing the same while either minimizing the death/infection rates or straight ignoring it period.

It will be this.

They will stop testing, play up the economic improvements, however slight, and browbeat the closed states into opening while simultaneously blaming them for being sick. They will instruct red states to hide as many covid deaths as possible and declare the whole pandemic over; the WHO and scientists who disagree are deep state dems who only disagree because they hate trump.

There will be no more stimulus coming. Only one of the biggest gaslighting operations ever undertaken.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fart Amplifier posted:

I thought it would be a college sweatshirt or something

I was not prepared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Guze posted:

I checked the nextdoor for my neighborhood and apparently theres some baby foxes around

that is what's known as a fox whistle