Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
That Dual Universe lot don't understand game development. They keep saying they'll start beta this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAqa-miWhxg

https://i.imgur.com/BxldaIr.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ Bob is building an army.
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂ ☻/ This tank & Bob are against
Il███████████████████]. /Star Citizer
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤.. / \ Copy &paste This post If You Agree

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:reddit: TFW you lose 578,000 aUEC to a 30k.

:qqsay: This is the reaction of someone who should not be playing an Alpha.

Wtf is even the point of

A) Making that much money

B) Farming in a game with basically no economy

C) Getting upset when you crash/disconnect/ (insert random bad uncontrollable event) in a game that isn't even a game yet.

:hist101: The streamer is engaging with the game's mechanics and playing the game for extended periods of time, which is what you want from someone testing an alpha. Also, the player is a human being, so being frustrated with a server crash that results in many hours of effort being wiped out, whether they know it's a reasonable expectation of an alpha or not, is understandable. We're not mindless QA testing robots.

:keke: A) buying/renting ships/components/armor/weapons in game to try out or have fun with, or giving the money to friends to buy/rent ships/components/armor/weapons in game to try out or have fun with

B) giving the devs data on player run hauling behaviors, economy balance, supply/demand chains, cargo/commodity bug hunting

C) you can play a game in alpha knowing it is likely to have bugs and crashes and still be momentarily upset or aggravated by them, and you can enjoy a game even while it is in alpha form

:hehe: A. To buy ships/items?

B. See point (A).

C. Because you still just lost several hours (or even days) worth of time?

Man. There's a lot of people jumping to the defense of the streamer. Wonder why....

https://clips.twitch.tv/AbrasiveNaiveCheeseMau5

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 8, 2020

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Weekend Discussion Thread: Your Review of Star Citizen's Current Patch

Description:

This week's topic is all about how you feel about Star Citizen's current state in general.

Discussion Prompts:

How would you currently rate Star Citizen in terms of an enjoyable experience? Why?
What parts of Star Citizen do you particularly enjoy?
What parts of Star Citizen would you like to see changed?

:munch:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:reddit: The game is actually unplayable right now.

quote:

Yesterday and today myself and my friends have been completely unable to play the game in any meaningful way. Within 30 minutes or so of logging into any instance or server, it will 30K. Something is very seriously wrong right now.

:smugdog: If you can play it for 30 minutes it isn't "actually unplayable" at all.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit: Say it with me guys : ships aren't progression!

If ships are progression, then this is a P2W fiasco aimed at exploiting the pockets of whales.

No. Ships absolutely **cannot** be progression in star citizen.

Instead, we need an extensive and impressive reputation system which will take years of constant work to complete.

​Local gangs, pirates, rebel forces, planetary or system wide police, militias, alien factions, various political parties, etc... will each offer unique rewards (such as clothing, flags, weapon skins, medals, access to quests, etc...)

​The game must be fun in-and-of-itself, but external rewards are absolutely necessary as well (this is the real world, not a fairy tale), and those rewards CANNOT be ships.

...or at least - they can't be ships you can buy.

​Maybe if you do enough quests for ANVIL, they'll offer a sponsorship deal and provide weapon skins along with high-class prototype weapons. ;)

:shepspends:: Ships are basically mmo classes in star citizen.

:homebrew:: Pledges for game packs and ships fund progression for the other stuff. It isn't rocket science.

:agesilaus::And I dont know whats wrong with people wanting to skip progression. I’m sorry but not everyone had the time to always play. But in return we’re usually out earning money so really? Its the same thing. 5 hours of in-game progress or 5 hours of paid work.

Its not like its unfair. What they gain by purchasing they lose out on the experience and knowledge to earn it and/or use it properly.

Although Ive spent a decent amount its only because I want to start my fleet a certain way. At least one multicrew, one solo, and one for something role specific like a fighter or miner. I want ships like the Prowler but for ones I want just because theyre cool, those Ill earn in-game.

But to say ships aren’t progress is ridiculous. I agree it shouldn’t be the only progression; and it wont be.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Asmodai_00 posted:

:smugdog: If you can play it for 30 minutes it isn't "actually unplayable" at all.

I'm guessing this is the same type of person yelling their freedoms have been stolen from them because they've been asked to shelter in place so that we don't kill off 5% of our population.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit:: It is misleading to refer to Star citizen as a game.

:argh:: Strange. I play it every day. Seems very much a game to me. Unfinished but still a game.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Logged in for the first time. 30fps in my room, 24fps everywhere else. Finally get to my ship in the hanger, google a video on how to take off. Take off, and almost crash leaving hanger. Then as soon as I get out my mouse input stops and I actually do crash and end up back in my bed. I think that's a good idea, I'm going back to bed...

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Asmodai_00 posted:

:reddit: TFW you lose 578,000 aUEC to a 30k.

:qqsay: This is the reaction of someone who should not be playing an Alpha.

Wtf is even the point of

A) Making that much money

B) Farming in a game with basically no economy

C) Getting upset when you crash/disconnect/ (insert random bad uncontrollable event) in a game that isn't even a game yet.

:hist101: The streamer is engaging with the game's mechanics and playing the game for extended periods of time, which is what you want from someone testing an alpha. Also, the player is a human being, so being frustrated with a server crash that results in many hours of effort being wiped out, whether they know it's a reasonable expectation of an alpha or not, is understandable. We're not mindless QA testing robots.

:keke: A) buying/renting ships/components/armor/weapons in game to try out or have fun with, or giving the money to friends to buy/rent ships/components/armor/weapons in game to try out or have fun with

B) giving the devs data on player run hauling behaviors, economy balance, supply/demand chains, cargo/commodity bug hunting

C) you can play a game in alpha knowing it is likely to have bugs and crashes and still be momentarily upset or aggravated by them, and you can enjoy a game even while it is in alpha form

:hehe: A. To buy ships/items?

B. See point (A).

C. Because you still just lost several hours (or even days) worth of time?

Man. There's a lot of people jumping to the defense of the streamer. Wonder why....

https://clips.twitch.tv/AbrasiveNaiveCheeseMau5

I don't think they understand female development.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Archerianium

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

How would you currently rate Star Citizen in terms of an enjoyable experience? Why?

Its pants

Quavers posted:

What parts of Star Citizen do you particularly enjoy?

My Star Citizen logo pants.

Quavers posted:

What parts of Star Citizen would you like to see changed?

My pants.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

200,000 Citizens In /r/starcitizen Celebration + Giveaway

:reddit::
I love that no matter how down many of us get, there's a solid core to our community that is unshakable. Not that the core support has blind faith in CIG, but they see past all the reddit & spectrum drama and sometimes bewildering decisions that CIG has made.

Not everyone loses sight of the end goal. Without those in the community who see things that way, I think we'd have gone off the deep end a long time ago. So hats off to the unshakable fans and supporters - yall are the best!

To everyone else, ye doubters... stay positive! :D

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!

Asmodai_00 posted:

While doing some bounties with my prowler a police ship approached me, marked as red pirate. So anyway I started blasting. Suddenly the ship turned blue but the prowler destroyed it immediately -> crime stat 3.

I became what i sought to destroy.

I got killed by my headhunter buddy and landed in prison. Here is where the story begins.

6.00 pm - I spawn at Klescher, head to the station computer and see: 1:58Hrs sentence. I want to play star citizen again so I head to the mining area take out my mining tool and a few meters later i clip into the ground. I have to suicide.

6.20 pm - I spawn at Klescher, head to the mining area. Multitool gone. I suicide.

6.25 pm - I spawn at Klescher, head to the mining area and see i can get a new mining tool at the station. I get one but its not working. It simply gets put away everytime I take it in my hand and the laser does not trigger. I find the previous laser on my leg. This time it spawned when I suicided.

7.00 pm - I mined some stuff at the entrance, clipped once again through the ground and fell comletely inside the moon.

7.10 pm. - I spawn at Klescher. Now having both mining lasers I try it all again. The laser from the station still does not work so I throw it away and mine some stuff at the entrance.

7.20 pm - I want to deliver those minables so I head to the station where you exchange the minerals for your time. Well. Its of course bugged so I can not click on the display.

7.30 pm - I reconnected to 12 different servers, still not being able to click on the screens. I give up.

7.30 pm on the way back I found a group of 4 prisoners trying to escape. Well, seems fun I'd like to test out and see how it looks like to escape.

ONE OF THE WORST DECISIONS IN MY HISTORY OF GAMING WAS MADE HERE

After I followed them they killed me 3 times, because somehow they had guns. OK. I wrote in the chat we became friends and they showed me the way out. At the end i died because i missed a hole in the very last stairs.

9.00 pm - I spawned at Klescher. Once again. I checked my timer and it went up to 3 hrs. gently caress so there is no other way than escaping now.

1.50 am (right now) - Long story short; I escaped 20 times, i can speedrun the escape route. But every time someone picked me up with his ship the game crashed completely. ONE TIME I was able to reconnect but on the way to Grim Hex my buddy and I suddenly died without any reason in the back of a cutlass black. so...

I spawned at Klescher. Sentence timer says 5:48 Hrs. I am a prisoner for already 7 Hrs. because of a series of game breaking bugs. And I know that I will spawn there tomorrow and enter the exit elevator and get a bug that will force me to reset my account and ONCE AGAIN lose 700k aUEC, all my armor, weapons and all prospector and prowler components since 3.9 release.

:allears:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Asmodai_00 posted:

:reddit: My first Klescher experience

The more things change the more they stay the same

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

quote:

I have to admit, I'm looking forward to the new mining heads coming in 3.9.

The prison gameplay is currently something I do not care about at all, but I'm hoping its not something that intrudes on game play unless you do something stupid.
Something stupid like... playing Star Citizen

:getin:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dementropy posted:

Not everyone loses sight of the end goal.

I'm amazed any backer knows what the end goal actually is. It seems to change from year to year.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah but does the new Flight Simulator have prison gameplay?

Checkmate goonie :smuggo:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Heard they're implementing TSA security line game play loops in the next alpha.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:reddit: I know some people don't like screenshots but i would just like to ask you a question. If anyone showed you this...would you be able to say its from a game and not an actual photo?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

I was applying for the starbase alpha and lol

:vince:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Asmodai_00 posted:

:reddit: I know some people don't like screenshots but i would just like to ask you a question. If anyone showed you this...would you be able to say its from a game and not an actual photo?

lol this is pure delusion

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Asmodai_00 posted:

That reminds me, I once tried Shroud of the Avatar and found it completely unplayable. I asked somewhere (the forums maybe?) if anyone had any tips on settings to change etc. to try and get it to run faster than one frame a week, and the official reply was: "By what objective metric do you deem this game to be 'unplayable'?"

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Asmodai_00 posted:

:perfect:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asmodai_00 posted:

No bullying the blind, it's kinda crass.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Asmodai_00 posted:

lookin like absolute poo poo, my man

Kopitar
May 21, 2009

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Looks pretty realistic to me. Like how when you wake up at 3 AM and are stumbling thru a dark hallway trying to find the bathroom.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dear Community: Should I gently caress everything up? Before you answer please consider the following:

1) By answering "Yes" you free me from all responsibility to deliver on any promises be they past, present, or future
2) By answering "Yes" you reset the timeline- development will only begin from the moment this poll closes

Happy voting!

* YES, gently caress everything up
* NO, I'm not a filthy leaver so I'm voting YES, gently caress everything up

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The famous poll that everyone makes up in their head or the actual poll that was "do you want crowdfunding to continue" while Chris said "with more money we can finish faster"?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ah yes, i remember clearly the vote CIG ran in 2013 where they asked backers if they should do full planets rather than limited landing zones and at the same time explained this would add 20 years to the development timeline. In no way did CR said the addition of further stretch goals would "significantly delay the release of features". No sirree!

Bonus round! Bartender AI was never voted on to take years to develop. Instead SQ42 was going to be released in 2014 with the most believable AI in existence!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Sarsapariller posted:

Dear Community: Should I gently caress everything up? Before you answer please consider the following:

1) By answering "Yes" you free me from all responsibility to deliver on any promises be they past, present, or future
2) By answering "Yes" you reset the timeline- development will only begin from the moment this poll closes

Happy voting!

* YES, gently caress everything up
* NO, I'm not a filthy leaver so I'm voting YES, gently caress everything up

Yes, gently caress THAT_shit up

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

orcane posted:

The famous poll that everyone makes up in their head or the actual poll that was "do you want crowdfunding to continue" while Chris said "with more money we can finish faster"?

It was memory holed and replaced with whatever the moment requires to explain away delays. This changes from month to month depending on the criticism being levelled.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

It was a pretty bold decision for Chris to construct all these studios with his own two hands, but no existing building could contain all the innovation of Star Citizer.

Build an Idris.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Snail Citizen

https://i.imgur.com/KsWr6UX.mp4

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

:perfect:

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

By Ryan Archer

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

orcane posted:

Yes, that's the poll, it punches above it's weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Notable Changes for May 8th, 2020 posted:

Naming conventions have been updated for upcoming quarterly patches. Patch 2.0 introduced a universe, while 3.0 introduced explorable planetary bodies, so it only makes sense that 4.0 be reserved for a similar landmark moment, such as heading to a new system. For this reason, Alpha 4.0 and 4.1 have been renamed to Alpha 3.10 and 3.11 respectively.

NPC Scheduler
As time has passed, the work needed for this card has changed and grown, and the original approach to these tasks will need to be adjusted to accommodate those changes. We’ve removed this card from the roadmap for the time being, and are planning to return it in a series of new cards in an upcoming column.

Shield System Tech Replacement
Additional VFX work is needed on tasks in this card, and the VFX team does not have the bandwidth to complete those tasks within the current timeline. We’ve temporarily removed this card from the roadmap until we are able to determine exactly where it will fall on our schedule.

FPS: Realistic Weapon Handling
The scope of the tasks involved in this card has increased, and we’ve adjusted the deadline to give the team ample time to complete these tasks up to standard. We’ve temporarily removed this card from the roadmap until we are able to determine exactly where it will fall on our schedule.

Ocean Shader Improvements
This card has been added to the Alpha 3.10 column and has been marked as Polishing. | Adding support for in-game oceans to react to flares and local lights using screen-space and cubemap reflection. Upgraded shading to include a Fresnel component and Sub-surface scattering term, and new shader features, to enhance the realism of oceans with improved refraction and additional detail layers.

Images have been updated for the following cards:

Lightning Bolt Co. Atzkav Electron Sniper Rifle
Lightning Bolt Co. Yubarev Electron Pistol
Klaus & Werner Sledge Mass Driver Revision
Mission Giver: Eddie Parr

The following cards have moved into Polishing

FPS: Cover Usage V1
FPS Combat: Weapon Types

So that’s all the core tech that did gameplay style things dumped from 4.0, but some ocean pretty added.

Sub is on fire. It’s very warming