Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
hahaha no, I work way more than 40 hours a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well you at least show up at whatever time you want and leave at whatever time you want, right?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Or at least get comp time for the extra hours you put in?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Wicaeed posted:

I mean yeah, isn't that why salaried employees exist? To dump ridiculous deadlines and insane workloads on.

No, salary contracts exist to even out spikey workloads in terms of brief over and underworking, so that employers and employees can plan around a fairly consistent cashflow. Working more than 40 hours for a company you're not a significant owner of is "fool me once" territory of being taken advantage of.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
I am highly unfamiliar with either of those concepts.

I never said I was particularly bright either to be fair :D

We had a Sr Engineer work for exactly 1 week before up and quitting due to the workload.

I will be the first person to say that our company abuses our FTEs and salaried employees, expecting them to work extra hours with little to no expectation for comp time or other perks.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Or "U4 is at 15%" territory.

:sigh:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Wicaeed posted:

I am highly unfamiliar with either of those concepts.

I never said I was particularly bright either to be fair :D

We had a Sr Engineer work for exactly 1 week before up and quitting due to the workload.

I will be the first person to say that our company abuses our FTEs and salaried employees, expecting them to work extra hours with little to no expectation for comp time or other perks.

This is more like "hey guys, I set up a tent down here in the well and I've got some books, it's nice and cozy! Don't worry about me I've got a couple bugs to gnaw on!"

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wicaeed posted:

Salaried employees are not inheritently exempt from overtime. There is a specific category of salaried employees that are exempt from overtime. Stop conflating salaried and not being paid for extra hours.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Super Soaker Party! posted:

This is more like "hey guys, I set up a tent down here in the well and I've got some books, it's nice and cozy! Don't worry about me I've got a couple bugs to gnaw on!"

100% agree on the comfort thing.

It's a Bay Area company (not what I'd consider a "Tech" company) and the pay is pretty good (total comp is mid-100's) but recently I've been questioning the value of staying on at this company if all I deal with all day is bullshit tech debt.

I originally came on to do Linux & Docker things. The first alarm bells should have been rang when it was clear that the company didn't have a solid containerization or microservices strategy when they were attempting to roll out Docker.

Internet Explorer posted:

Salaried employees are not inheritently exempt from overtime. There is a specific category of salaried employees that are exempt from overtime. Stop conflating salaried and not being paid for extra hours.

Don't think I did? I guess I should have said FTE w/salary (full time employee, not Contractor/W2).

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 8, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I know it can be tough, but Just Say No. What's the worst that's going to happen?

People like that will keep pushing as long as you keep bending, until you break, then they'll get someone else and do the same.

Be a rock in a river, let it flow around you.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

I know it can be tough, but Just Say No. What's the worst that's going to happen?

People like that will keep pushing as long as you keep bending, until you break, then they'll get someone else and do the same.

I mean I guess they could make my life more of a living hell than it already is?

The only other Sr. dude on the team literally works 18 hours a day, I'm not even joking.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

While you are technically correct, salaried non-exempt employees are pretty uncommon, and hourly exempt employees are fantastically loving rare. There's a strong correlation between "salaried" and "exempt."

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Wicaeed posted:

I mean I guess they could make my life more of a living hell than it already is?

How? I mean, literally how?

"No, sorry, I'm not working evenings or weekends"
"Well we don't like that, we're going to give you more evenings and weekends to work!"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Jaded Burnout posted:

My life got way loving better when I started fearlessly pushing back on poo poo like this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Wicaeed posted:

The only other Sr. dude on the team literally works 18 hours a day, I'm not even joking.

Your coworker is working 18 hours a day to make someone else rich. If you don't want equity in the company then giving up your life to your job isn't reasonable in the least.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

How? I mean, literally how?

"No, sorry, I'm not working evenings or weekends"
"Well we don't like that, we're going to give you more evenings and weekends to work!"

Oh, they don't ask you to work weekends, they just drop you 3 technically complex projects to do by a somewhat arbitrary date, while offering up little to no resources to work with from our PMO team, leaving it up to our technical team to deal with coordinating downtime windows with other departments that want little to nothing to do with our department.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

You're also not responsible for your colleague's decisions; they are. You have nothing to do with their decision to work 18 hours a day, or not. That's entirely their decision.

Some aphorisms from the narcissistic parent community:

1. Don't set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm
2. Read this and think "colleagues" instead of "family" and "upper management" instead of "mother in law": https://www.reddit.com/r/JUSTNOMIL/comments/77pxpo/dont_rock_the_boat/

Edit:

Wicaeed posted:

Oh, they don't ask you to work weekends, they just drop you 3 technically complex projects to do by a somewhat arbitrary date, while offering up little to no resources to work with from our PMO team, leaving it up to our technical team to deal with coordinating downtime windows with other departments that want little to nothing to do with our department.

And you do what? Say "sorry, looks like we're understaffed for that, we'll need to either reduce the scope of some of these, delay the deadline, or bring in more staff"? Or do you scrabble yet again to get it done, rewarding them for their "effective management skills"?

If you (politely and constructively) say no to all unreasonable demands, then more unreasonable demands are no longer a viable threat.

Oh, and read this
https://outofthefog.website/toolbox-1/2015/11/17/fog-fear-obligation-guilt

quote:

Don't sustain any situation or relationship where you do not have the option to say "no" where it is reasonable to do so. Nobody who is a true friend will demand "yes" 100% of the time. Healthy relationships are two-way streets - not one-way streets and anyone who is a true friend or who truly loves you will give as much as they receive.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 8, 2020

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
My manager just criticized me not 30 minutes ago cuz I’m going to be working a weekend doing a project. Literally actually, I’m writing the terraform module everyone will use to deploy projects to GCP. Currently there’s a blocker that prevents you from defining project level IAM roles in terraform, so I’m gonna fix it! I didn’t know this was a problem till yesterday but drat if I’m just gonna let it sit and not fix it.

It’s not my problem - another team owns it! but it’s a pretty big impact change, an easy win, and I desperately want to be implement changes that meaningfully affect the rest of the org.

I’m sooooo tired of doing traditional IT things. Thankfully my team is managing things like coordinating laptops and departures and MDM things you name it. I would go mad if that’s all I had to do. 6 months ago I was still doing tickets - if I just stayed in my lane doing the same old same old I’d be doing tickets yet. Fuuuuck that.

Also I’ve an interview Monday for a well known e-commerce site with a starting comp that’s 70k more than I’m making now and I want to have this in my back pocket.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Not pissing me off: found out today the company is considering creating a whole new position, and my name is being passed around as "if we created this, would ConfusedUs want it?"

It's a position that I actually would want, for a team I actually want to work for, doing bigger/better things than I'm doing now, in what would complete my transition into a career path with massive upwards potential.

Uh, yes please?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

My manager just criticized me not 30 minutes ago cuz Im going to be working a weekend doing a project. Literally actually, Im writing the terraform module everyone will use to deploy projects to GCP. Currently theres a blocker that prevents you from defining project level IAM roles in terraform, so Im gonna fix it! I didnt know this was a problem till yesterday but drat if Im just gonna let it sit and not fix it.

Don't work on the weekends.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Counterpoint, work on the weekends if you want, but not because anyone else asked you to, and only if it does not result in anytime taken away from your personal plans.

For example, I’ve been putting in 2-3 hours every weekend since I’ve been home, but that bring my total actual work hours up to around 7-10 per week.

Seriously l, did the math, I have not worked more than 10 hours per week since I’ve been home.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Why did you erase all the apostrophes from my quote lmao

Also I’m doing another GCP cert Monday morning so it’s all very tied into to my last minute exam prep... which was how I defended it anyways

Meanwhile helpdesk guy took a 30 minute break cuz he was disabling an account at 5:06pm, and fair enough! It’s all about what works for you fam. Don’t overwork yourself for lovely bosses, but if I wasn’t doing this for work I’d be doing it for fun anyways.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The Iron Rose posted:

Why did you erase all the apostrophes from my quote lmao

Whatever he posted with probably ate the "smart" apostrophes

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Fool posted:

Counterpoint, work on the weekends if you want, but not because anyone else asked you to, and only if it does not result in anytime taken away from your personal plans.

For example, I’ve been putting in 2-3 hours every weekend since I’ve been home, but that bring my total actual work hours up to around 7-10 per week.

Seriously l, did the math, I have not worked more than 10 hours per week since I’ve been home.

Yeah, if there's give and take, sure I'll do a little weekend work.

But now I'm on-site 100%. I leave at 5, don't ask me for poo poo.

Although I may log in this weekend to do stuff I plain just blew off during the week like inventory.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
our shadow IT department has its own shadow IT department
what the gently caress man

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

klosterdev posted:

BOFH spotted

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

klosterdev posted:

:kingsley::lolplant::mamacita::munch:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Fool posted:

Seconding this. I get most of my actual 'engineering' work done after hours because I can actually concentrate on what I'm doing without interruption.
Plus reading a 1000 page data programming manual is kinda tough in a room with a bunch of people yelling at each other on skype.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

klosterdev posted:

Well you can’t say poo poo like that without a story too lol.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Our IT department just sunset Skype for Business without migrating to Teams, because Teams is some sort of security issue and so they've gone as far as to completely block the package on all managed machines. So I'm assuming that they're hoping the ~150 employees working from home and relying on the soggy bag of dogshit that is SfB's "group chat" function to maintain communication with their departments have dicks long enough to reach their rear end, so they can go gently caress themselves.

Really glad I have to do e-mail distribution lists like it's 1993 or something. Just the best

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I've never moved off mailing lists. They work. People put some effort into their posts.

Now get off my lawn.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Our IT department just sunset Skype for Business without migrating to Teams, because Teams is some sort of security issue and so they've gone as far as to completely block the package on all managed machines. So I'm assuming that they're hoping the ~150 employees working from home and relying on the soggy bag of dogshit that is SfB's "group chat" function to maintain communication with their departments have dicks long enough to reach their rear end, so they can go gently caress themselves.

Really glad I have to do e-mail distribution lists like it's 1993 or something. Just the best

I would love to know what security issues they believe that make teams a no go. :allears:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Sure, it "works" in the same sense that using 56k internet in 2020 does. Slowly. And lovely to use when a few users can't hardly spell their names right let alone start loving around in Outlook.

Then again, I think there might be a net improvement if we let users do all their work through AOL Desktop

Sickening posted:

I would love to know what security issues they believe that make teams a no go. :allears:

I think they're afraid we're going to leak trade secrets with the meme tool or something. I have no idea lmao

barnold fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 11, 2020

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

I think they're afraid we're going to leak trade secrets with the meme tool or something. I have no idea lmao

Maybe they got confused between 'Zoom' and 'Teams'?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
My org started out with o365 and then expanded into AAD with the bolted on Azure tenant they gave you a few years back then used it like any other org. Like any org with no communication, a rogue dev group started up their own Azure tenant separately since it was just linux/oracle. They had their own budget so no one knew. Over the years the blackops tenant has become critical infrastructure and now needs onsite AD objects the original tenant is obviously using and...

I don't want to think about these things on a Monday.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Our IT department has been desperately trying to get everyone to move into the same tenancy since two companies merged 2 years ago. They seem to be making some progress although not six months ago we were told to use the older one to raise some VMs in. We have now been told to move them.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My job right now

10 "Oh god everything is on fire"
20 "Let's throw some water on it"
30 "Oh god it was a grease fire, now it's worse"
40 GO TO 20

We're now 3-4 cycles into this.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Sickening posted:

People might be productive and infosec is bored.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

skooma512 posted:

Well you can’t say poo poo like that without a story too lol.

One of our departments has a couple managers with local admin to their program's computers to help the users do some initial setup because the software is bullshit. One of them is a former IT guy, and we've traditionally given them a fairly long leash because they tend not to go outside of the scope of what they're supposed to do, and they check with us if it seems fuzzy.

Director of the program has gotten it into their head that their direct reports having basic computer skills means they oversee part of IT. This has resulted in responsibility creep from referring to their direct reports as part of IT, to suggesting people resolve computer problems through their own program, we gave that mouse a cookie and they didn't even ask when they took more.

Alright, so shadow IT department, this is a problem we need to address, but its not like they're hiring their own IT people right?

Right?

Director hired somebody to provide IT support for their software, sixty bucks an hour, never told us.

The foot about to come down so hard the boot gonna stay imprinted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

The level of internal pushback I get on any security item is absolutely appalling. If I wasn't on this team, I'm pretty sure nobody would give a poo poo. We're failing on the basics - encryption, patching, offboarding - and every time I try and campaign for it I get told to sit down and shut up in nicer words.

It's incredibly frustrating.