Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Good ol' fashioned Double Bust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i got some margarita gose for cinco de mayo

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Aint gonna lie, sounds pretty good

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Update: Three Punks La Flama Roja amber amber Mexican lager was p. Good. I should have def not drunk any modelos after that. Wow what a weird aftertaste

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Not checked into this thread in a while but Tesco are really knocking it out of the park with their craft beer selection lately, stocking Evil Twin, Cloudwater, and Salt Beer Factory among others.

Had Evil Twin's Wake Up and Smell The Gose last night, an imperial breakfast blueberry gose which frankly I'm stunned Tesco are stocking.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://www.toasttab.com/local-option-bier-1102-west-webster-1st-floor/v3

Something doesn't seem right with Local Option's pricing because some of those bottles to-go are literally 50% of shelf prices...

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

danbanana posted:

Something doesn't seem right with Local Option's pricing because some of those bottles to-go are literally 50% of shelf prices...

Get the $10 growler of Maine Lunch

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

danbanana posted:

$10 fill of Seizoen Bretta :chanpop:

Petrol Station once sold me a pint of Boulevard Saison Brett for $5 and that was a glorious way to hang out for a few hours

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

danbanana posted:

How is Beatification these days? Really liked the first batch I had (4?) but remember later ones being extremely acidic.

Had to circle back now that I finally opened this batch of Beat, and it is much better than the last release I had (Batch 7 I think). Not overly tart or acidic at all, and very well balanced. Granted the $/oz ratio isn't the greatest with the availability of Cantillon and 3F, but always happy to support Russian River and I'm glad that I was able to acquire it without driving 430 miles.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

danbanana posted:

All those BCBS and BCBBW variants, 3F, half price growlers, time to dive in if you can jesus.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

danbanana posted:

What the hell is this place? Their beer list is miles long. Wowie zowie.

Lemme get 1 lime for $1.50 plz :wtc:

In other news: ive moved out of the fridge and into my coleman ice chest outside. Why have a few beers ice cold when i can have 30 at a time?!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

danbanana posted:

yet the catfish po'boy is still $15

but, seriously, y'all are sleeping on $10 Eclipse bottles, which is finally a reasonable price for them

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

That's probably average for Chicago... Also, it's drat good.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

funkybottoms posted:

but, seriously, y'all are sleeping on $10 Eclipse bottles, which is finally a reasonable price for them

Yeah I'd grab all of those tbh, that's a steal.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

In other news: ive moved out of the fridge and into my coleman ice chest outside. Why have a few beers ice cold when i can have 30 at a time?!

I’ve given up on even doing that, I’ve been keeping the 30 rack in the garage where it stays slightly below room temp

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

HamAdams posted:

I’ve given up on even doing that, I’ve been keeping the 30 rack in the garage where it stays slightly below room temp

my lady was all bummed because the pilsners in the fridge weren't cold enough and i was like, "i threw them in there an hour ago!" might pour one in a glass and microwave it for a bit to show her what's what

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HamAdams posted:

Lmao. When ya gotta shotgun a miller lite no matter what the temperature

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
*puts can on head*

Feels cold...i guess...

*beer is lukewarm*

gently caress

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Pro alcoholic tip: a can/bottle or 5 in a bucket of icy water. Room temp to ice cold in 10-15 minutes

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Pro alcoholic tip: a can/bottle or 5 in a bucket of icy water. Room temp to ice cold in 10-15 minutes

Pro-er tip: Add salt to chill it even faster. <5 minutes, but I forget the ratio to make that happen. You want plenty of salt on hand though, it's not a small amount.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Pro-est tip: add enough salt to a container of water so that it doesn't freeze in your freezer and keep it in there for maximum chilling power.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
I drink my piss warm as god intended it

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:thunk: ive always done the "wrap a wet paper towel around the beer and stick it in the freezer" method

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

:thunk: ive always done the "wrap a wet paper towel around the beer and stick it in the freezer" method

there's greater heat transfer from solid to liquid to beer vessel than there is from air to liquid to beer vessel, it's basic thermodynamics

TLDR you're doing it the slow way, the cheapest and fastest method of cooling down a beer can/bottle is a ice/salt/water bath

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What! But they ice cold so quick! If me am not good at science than explain why me drink cold beer in 5 min or less!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dell_Zincht posted:

Not checked into this thread in a while but Tesco are really knocking it out of the park with their craft beer selection lately, stocking Evil Twin, Cloudwater, and Salt Beer Factory among others.

Had Evil Twin's Wake Up and Smell The Gose last night, an imperial breakfast blueberry gose which frankly I'm stunned Tesco are stocking.

That gose is far better and cheaper than it has any right to be.

Salt are really good, and Ikat goes right to the top of the supermarket craft beer tier list alongside Vocations Love and Hate, and the brewdog/evil twin vietnamese coffee stout

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

That gose is far better and cheaper than it has any right to be.

Salt are really good, and Ikat goes right to the top of the supermarket craft beer tier list alongside Vocations Love and Hate, and the brewdog/evil twin vietnamese coffee stout

I know right, 3 quid is absolutely crazy.

Had the Brewdog/Evil Twin nitro stout as well, really sweet as expected but that's how I like my stouts/porters.

Honestly feel that Tesco could add a "Premium Craft" section and stick Evil Twin/Salt in there at £4.50 a 440ml can, i'd still buy them.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Cigar City Margherita Gose is pretty good. Subtle salinity, not too sour and quite clean.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Realistically, how important is it to keep beers in the fridge? Mostly things like PAs, IPAs, pilsners. From the other bar that I go to all the time, Russian River requires you to keep the beer in the fridge, or they won't give you an account to sell their beers. Most other breweries frown upon not keeping the beer in the fridge.

But.. I recently found a liquor store that carries some decent beers and none of them are kept cold; good prices. Apparently, the owner just doesn't have the space for them. None of the beer is super fresh, most of the stuff is roughly 1 month old. Wondering how detrimental it would be to the flavor of the beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

obi_ant posted:

Realistically, how important is it to keep beers in the fridge? Mostly things like PAs, IPAs, pilsners. From the other bar that I go to all the time, Russian River requires you to keep the beer in the fridge, or they won't give you an account to sell their beers. Most other breweries frown upon not keeping the beer in the fridge.

But.. I recently found a liquor store that carries some decent beers and none of them are kept cold; good prices. Apparently, the owner just doesn't have the space for them. None of the beer is super fresh, most of the stuff is roughly 1 month old. Wondering how detrimental it would be to the flavor of the beer.

Temperature and time change almost all foodstuffs. Keeping beer cooler slows changes. But the extent of that is unproven and varies dramatically from beer to beer (even batch to batch). Breweries that believe their beer is best drank as fresh as possible are going to error on the side of "keep our poo poo cold," because it intrinsically makes sense, even if proving that or measuring what difference it makes is pretty much impossible.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

What! But they ice cold so quick! If me am not good at science than explain why me drink cold beer in 5 min or less!

Ok so the way your freezer works is that it's a box with cold air in it. The cold air absorbs the heat energy of stuff it touches and makes that stuff cold.

If your have water that is super cold thanks to putting salt in it, which allows the water to be colder than 32F, and put a can of beer in it then the water will absorb the heat energy in the beer, making it cold.

The rate of energy transfer is faster for a liquid than it is for a gas, so the water bath cools things down faster. The wet paper towel still has the problem of gas-liquid-beer energy transfer which is going to be slower than liquid-beer energy transfer

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 8, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Spanish Manlove posted:

TLDR you're doing it the slow way, the cheapest and fastest method of cooling down a beer can/bottle is a ice/salt/water bath

I have a small Igloo Playmate and a big box of rock salt for just this very purpose.
You can drat near freeze a beer in the time it takes to crush a pint from the can.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

obi_ant posted:

My favourite bottle shop has 90% of its stock on the shelves, the only beers that are chilled are the lagers and IPAs that people are going to drink either as soon as they leave the shop or as soon as they get home.

I keep Pale Ales and IPAs in the fridge, stouts and anything else that should be served at cellar temperature I keep in the cupboard where my gins are stored.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I don't buy hoppy ales that have not been kept cold, and prefer it for most styles except mixed ferment beers, where I am pretty happy as long as they're not sitting in the sun or whatever.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Apparently we get Modern Times now? Also some Tampa hype-brewery called Hidden Springs?

Apache
May 11, 2004

danbanana posted:

Apparently we get Modern Times now? Also some Tampa hype-brewery called Hidden Springs?

Didn't know they distro'd out of state. ZFG is a solid pale, they also do a ton of fruited/adjuncted berliners that can be hit or miss. I doubt you'll see any Aggie or their other hype beers, they tend to sell out from the brewery within hours of release. I think they've collabed with Mikerphone before as well for a Chicago connection.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I've spent most of the day crushing German helles and kolsches in the sun. Feelsdrunkman

Honestly, really hard to go wrong.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
My tap water is really cold so I just put my beer in a bowl under the tap and leave it on. Immersion circulation alcoholism is the future.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Spuckuk posted:

I've spent most of the day crushing German helles and kolsches in the sun. Feelsdrunkman

Honestly, really hard to go wrong.

Paulaners helles is like $1 for a tallboy here, barely more than the garbage macro lagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

Their berliners are typical kettle sour soda adjacent beers but some of them can be tasty, though not at the $18/4pk prices they usually go for. I love key lime pie and their Blurred Limes is pretty on point, but I haven't really tried many others as I'm kind of a skinflint. IIRC they had a bunch come out recently that ranged from wacky kitchen sink ingredients to varying levels of "that doesn't sound too bad." A taco place near me used to have ZFG in the cooler and I would get it a lot because they didn't have anything else, but don't really bother getting it unless you really really feel like getting something you haven't had before. Its just a typical ipa

I haven't tried their stouts yet though as they usually sell out quickly and aren't often on tap but people rave about them. I think it's just hype though.