Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Washin Tong posted:

I'm taking END ME SCOOB's advice and not spoiling myself, but I have to ask, was the dude playing Director's Cut or Barrows Deep (the original)?

He called out it was Director's Cut a few times, because at least one post was going "how much worse was this game before their bugfixes"

I can't speak to the veracity of it because I've been going more JRPG than dungeon crawler lately, but there was a reason I legit asked the dude playing through and enjoying it "Hey, so, tell me how this goes for you" when that was the only record of interaction with the game I'd seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

None of ya'll gonna play through the old Tomb Raider games, lets be honest here
Angel of Darkness is definitely worth experiencing. Well, for the ten minutes you'll manage.
Stuff like Invisible War or Th4f gets a lot of bad rep but when it comes to sheer amount of design fuckups, they got nothing on Angel of Darkness. That's a Daikatana-level disaster.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Tomb Raider Legend trilogy(Anniversary is loving amazing) is about the oldest I'm willing to replay, OG Tomb Raider is rough.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

2 was fine, though with too much lovely combat.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Lol in my head I was thinking about Guardian of Light and Temple of Osiris

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

This is an insane amount of great games. Sleeping Dogs alone is easily worth $20, Just Cause 2 is basically the perfect destruction simulator, and the nu-Tomb Raider games are pretty fun action adventure games. The Soul Reaver series is a Zelda-esque exploration game with a pretty good story and decent gameplay even with Soul Reaver 1 fairly rough and unpolished but there's a massive mod project slowly finishing up to fix it and restore the massive amount of on disc content that was cut from the original game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I can’t praise sleeping dogs enough. I replayed it recently, including all the dlc and side missions, and I kind of already want to play it again. This edition includes all the dlc, and there’s quite a bit of it.

Really sucks we’ll never get a sequel, that game did so many things right.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I can’t praise sleeping dogs enough. I replayed it recently, including all the dlc and side missions, and I kind of already want to play it again. This edition includes all the dlc, and there’s quite a bit of it.

Really sucks we’ll never get a sequel, that game did so many things right.

It was during S-E desperate shuffling to claim to their investors that games like CoD selling 10 million copies was something S-E could easily do as well, or maybe it was just outright lying about sales projections to cover their asses.

In a sale cycle where they launched a new Hitman, Tomb Raider, and Sleeping dogs, the two franchise games had their best sale numbers ever and Sleeping Dogs was a massive hit for a new IP and the games missing the sales projections by almost half. They couldn't kill their franchise series without looking really bad so Sleeping Dogs took the blame as underperfoming as their excuse for their "terrible" sales year.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Lemme clarify, it's like a 20$ deal for me but I'm not buying Thief 4 (garbage) or Kane and Lynch (no) or the other assorted stuff I don't want. If I didn't already have all the tomb raider stuff or sleeping dogs or just cause and such, I'd go for it.

Thief 4 isn't that bad but it's no Dishonored.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

pentyne posted:

It was during S-E desperate shuffling to claim to their investors that games like CoD selling 10 million copies was something S-E could easily do as well, or maybe it was just outright lying about sales projections to cover their asses.

In a sale cycle where they launched a new Hitman, Tomb Raider, and Sleeping dogs, the two franchise games had their best sale numbers ever and Sleeping Dogs was a massive hit for a new IP and the games missing the sales projections by almost half. They couldn't kill their franchise series without looking really bad so Sleeping Dogs took the blame as underperfoming as their excuse for their "terrible" sales year.

Square Enix seems to have way higher standards for their oversees companies like Eidos. Which is a shame. I don't know if we'll ever get another deus ex at this point

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lord Lambeth posted:

Square Enix seems to have way higher standards for their oversees companies like Eidos. Which is a shame. I don't know if we'll ever get another deus ex at this point
More like sales expectations. If they had standards, something like Thi4f would have never come out.
Similarly: Mankind Divided, an obviously half-assed game. Not just talking about the story - a sequel hook was to be expected - but stuff like having fewer weapons than HR.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't know if we'll ever get another deus ex at this point

We totally will, but keep in mind that studio has been making the very cursed Avengers game, so let's see if they survive long enough to make it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

shoc77 posted:

I've only played up till modern warfare 2 and have never dabbled in multiplayer.

Are any of the later iterations worth picking up for the single player campaigns?
Honestly as someone who has played all of them and enjoyed them enough to go back and replay them every once in a while, there's nothing really standout that's worth going out of your way to pick up, especially at the price you'll be getting them for.

DatonKallandor posted:

Did you realize you can switch between units at any point rather than being locked in? That's a massive difference to the XCOM standard (along with there not being any ends-your-turn abilities, ultra short ranges and the execution mechanic) and completely changes the way you play. It does start off really badly though - the tutorial is awful and the first couple missions are bland and overtuned.
Am I completely misreading this post or are you saying that you can't switch between units in XCOM? Because you totally canso I'm confused.
Yesssss :getin:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's also waaaay too late to the party. We're only a few days away from coming out of lockdown in NZ.

edit: the Square-Enix bundle

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

END ME SCOOB posted:

We totally will, but keep in mind that studio has been making the very cursed Avengers game, so let's see if they survive long enough to make it.

I thought Crystal Dynamics (nu Tomb Raider studio) was making that?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DrNutt posted:

They are. The Eidos team that did Mankind Divided made Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Crystal Dynamics did the first two reboots.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Serephina posted:

It's also waaaay too late to the party. We're only a few days away from coming out of lockdown in NZ.

edit: the Square-Enix bundle

Countries like NZ might be small and well-run enough to see a light at the end of the tunnel, but here in the US we're just going to be in a state of perpetual crisis until an effective vaccine is developed. Whether people want to admit it or not staying the gently caress at home and not going out to bars/clubs/movie theaters what have you is the new normal.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

DrNutt posted:

It is entirely possible I mixed it up, I knew they got moved to another franchise after Mankind Divided.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just got The Surge due to that 3 game Fanatical deal for $10 and immediately bought the DLC for it and debating also getting The Surge 2.

:bisonyes:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just got The Surge due to that 3 game Fanatical deal for $10 and immediately bought the DLC for it and debating also getting The Surge 2.

If you like the Surge, that bodes well - everything I've heard about the Surge 2 indicates that it's better than the first in a lot of ways.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Insert name here posted:

Am I completely misreading this post or are you saying that you can't switch between units in XCOM? Because you totally canso I'm confused.

This reminds me that I just recently learned that they made an x-com clone based on the tv show narcos and it’s gimmick is that you cannot switch between units; on each turn each side can only move one unit. The game would be mediocre without that choice but it singlehandedly made it a turd and I don’t know how it got shipped without anyone raising it

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Thief 4 isn't that bad but it's no Dishonored.

Thief 4 did one thing that was actually pretty interesting. Guards acted differently if they had never seen me versus if they had seen me and I lost them. So instead of going back to normal "whelp guess it was the wind" they act very agitated and on edge. I thought that was a nice touch. I also kind of liked looting the individual drawers.

Shame about, um, everything else.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ainsley McTree posted:

This reminds me that I just recently learned that they made an x-com clone based on the tv show narcos and it’s gimmick is that you cannot switch between units; on each turn each side can only move one unit. The game would be mediocre without that choice but it singlehandedly made it a turd and I don’t know how it got shipped without anyone raising it
Didn't realize we where in the Unpopular Videogame Opinions thread?

That turn mechanic has been around since at least 1997 and has its own merits. Chimera Squad was really interesting to see what experimental gameplay ideas they're kicking around to solves the issues that X2 had - it's obviously a budget release aimed at their fanbase, much like the tactical legacy pack was (albeit standalone). Everyone in the XCOM thread seems to have enjoyed it at least.

edit: im a dumb-dumb

----------

Different topic, I just finished a proper playthrough of WH40k: Gladius and I gotta say... it's pretty bleh =[ I didn't feel like the game was encouraging nor enabling interesting unit 'strats', so the hex layer was just a matter of making enough non-teir1 units and rolling over whatever the AI had. Didn't seem to have much in the way of depth in its mechanics other than weapon damage, which was a huge glorious complicated mess (good!) that had zero documentation on how anything worked (bad!) and in practice was just 'bring whatever you want, as long as it's high teir' (ugly!). The game is also aggresively devoid of any content outside of direct combat skirmishes. It's more like a proof-of-concept that was given a budget and told to bang out another 3 races and then ship.

Basically, situation normal for a Warhammer Videogame =[

Serephina fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 8, 2020

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Surge 2 is on Gamepass if you have that, can confirm it improves on the first one in a lot of ways.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The main reason I put down Terraria is because I found managing inventory and items and poo poo to be just maddening. I was hoping someone would make an Infinite Inventory mod or at least an Infinite Chest but as far as I know that never happened.
There's a mod that includes accessories that take various stacks in them and don't take up room in your main inventory, up to one which takes literally any item that stacks, infinitely.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Serephina posted:

Didn't realize we where in the Unpopular Videogame Opinions thread?

That turn mechanic has been around since at least 1997 and has its own merits. Chimera Squad was really interesting to see what experimental gameplay ideas they're kicking around to solves the issues that X2 had - it's obviously a budget release aimed at their fanbase, much like the tactical legacy pack was (albeit standalone). Everyone in the XCOM thread seems to have enjoyed it at least.

----------

Different topic, I just finished a proper playthrough of WH40k: Gladius and I gotta say... it's pretty bleh =[ I didn't feel like the game was encouraging nor enabling interesting unit 'strats', so the hex layer was just a matter of making enough non-teir1 units and rolling over whatever the AI had. Didn't seem to have much in the way of depth in its mechanics other than weapon damage, which was a huge glorious complicated mess (good!) that had zero documentation on how anything worked (bad!) and in practice was just 'bring whatever you want, as long as it's high teir' (ugly!). The game is also aggresively devoid of any content outside of direct combat skirmishes. It's more like a proof-of-concept that was given a budget and told to bang out another 3 races and then ship.

Basically, situation normal for a Warhammer Videogame =[

No, not like chimera squad. In narcos, on your turn, you can choose any unit you like, but once you act with that unit, the turn is over and the enemy goes (following the same rules). On your next turn, it’s the same again; all units are available (including the one you used last time), but you can only choose one to act with. If other games have done that successfully I’m not aware of it but every single review seemed mystified by why you’d make a game like that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Somebody tell chess it's been canceled.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Chess has a lot more than 4 guys on the board.

The narcos game was basically made to have one single guy running through and killing everyone, because it would take like 5 turns just to move the rest of the team up to support. And while you're doing that, the one enemy has moved up and spent 4 turns shooting the one guy in front. Its a really bad and dumb system for an XCOMlike.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
My favorite bad turn-based mechanic was in old PSX RPG Vandal Hearts 2, where both yours and the enemy unit would move at the same time. Lots of rounds watching people hit the air.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Ainsley McTree posted:

No, not like chimera squad. In narcos, on your turn, you can choose any unit you like, but once you act with that unit, the turn is over and the enemy goes (following the same rules). On your next turn, it’s the same again; all units are available (including the one you used last time), but you can only choose one to act with. If other games have done that successfully I’m not aware of it but every single review seemed mystified by why you’d make a game like that.

Oooh! my apologies, I thought the narcos was a comment on the X-COPS joke everyone's been making. My bad, I'm sorry.

...and that does sound terrible, you're right.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Serephina posted:

Oooh! my apologies, I thought the narcos was a comment on the X-COPS joke everyone's been making. My bad, I'm sorry.

...and that does sound terrible, you're right.

Oh lol no; it’s a literal narcos tie-in game. I expected it to be bad and it somehow was worse. Chimera squad owns though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Interwoven turns (done properly) is interesting in that when playing the other XCOMs I never felt it was lacking but now that it's there it feels great and necessary.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It rules that this Final Fantasy XV DLC is about a mad scientist uploading his consciousness to a mechanical titan to kill god and you immediately slaughter him with a machine gun on a snowmobile.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
The Surge 2 is better than The Surge in all gameplay aspects, but loses the interesting story and atmosphere.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

It rules that this Final Fantasy XV DLC is about a mad scientist uploading his consciousness to a mechanical titan to kill god and you immediately slaughter him with a machine gun on a snowmobile.

I never played the FFXV DLC because I couldn't be arsed to pick the game back up again after beating it once, but I have to say, you're selling me on it

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Anonymous Robot posted:

I always found it funny that his super ultimate perfect machine god form was a giant worm.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Surge 2 is much better than the first one because it lets you use battery charges to recharge your injectables (e.g., healing items). You can also spec into increasing the amount of battery charge you get from hitting enemies which comes very close to giving you something similar to the rally mechanic from Bloodborne, since you'll regain a healing charge from pretty much every combo you land.

My only complaint is that some of the combat animations feel like the devs are just loving with you, like one second an enemy will barely be able to hoist their massive hammer onto their shoulder, and then the next second they're doing a rapier-like flurry and pirouetting mid-attack just to fake you out and throw off your parry timing.

Volte fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 8, 2020

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I put in far more progress into Lords of the fallen than the surge. Maybe the surge just ain't right for me because I got lost in the first area

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 8, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Ainsley McTree posted:

I never played the FFXV DLC because I couldn't be arsed to pick the game back up again after beating it once, but I have to say, you're selling me on it

Remember when those guys killed the ice god and they made a point if showing you her corpse and then she appears, alive, in a cutscene two minutes later? Good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Fargin Icehole posted:

I put in far more progress into Lord's of the fallen than the surge. Maybe the surge just ain't right for me because I got lost in the first area
Surge 1 was very mediocre I thought. I got through I think two levels (i.e. past two main bosses) and it was basically just a maze of samey scaffolding and concrete. Even the outdoor areas blended together. It was very easy to get lost because there wasn't much in the way of landmarks. Surge 2's environments (at least in the 10 or so hours I've played) aren't exactly super varied, mostly variations on ruined urban environments, but I haven't had any issues with getting lost and I always recognize areas I've been to before.