Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
there is no miracle therapeutic, the stuff being described in that DARPA w/e article is incredibly experimental and super risky and loving around with your immune system is heinously dangerous and will most of the time just loving kill you

ty for coming to my ted talk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
me: the elites have magic that cures them of all disease!

mccain: loving dies from a brain that's a little too big

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Schnorkles posted:

whole lotta conspiracy minded thinking itt by people who don't have a drat clue what pharma development actually looks like

it looks like :capitalism:

e:

Schnorkles posted:

there is no miracle therapeutic, the stuff being described in that DARPA w/e article is incredibly experimental and super risky and loving around with your immune system is heinously dangerous and will most of the time just loving kill you

ty for coming to my ted talk

I mean this sounds like exactly the sort of thing Trump would latch onto and demand they inject into his lungs, doesn't it?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Schnorkles posted:

whole lotta conspiracy minded thinking itt by people who don't have a drat clue what pharma development actually looks like

Well, considering diseases are fake and big pharma makes them so that we have to buy their cures, you have no idea what pharma development looks like

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Schnorkles posted:

Historically, people with money are the target of scams, Henry Ford was so loving out of touch with how rich fuckers should be, this one group could not con him, he wasn't clever enough to fall for it.

The turbowealthy have fallen for some historical cons by virtue of believing they are smarter and more capable than they are.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Iron Crowned posted:

Well, considering diseases are fake and big pharma makes them so that we have to buy their cures, you have no idea what pharma development looks like

:hmmyes:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Iron Crowned posted:

:hai:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Sarulimab is the big one that's being studied since March16 but we haven't heard anything one way or another since. Anecdotally Ive heard it has a clinical effect (ie: numbers improve) but no obvious effect on mortality/vent days. We've used plenty of tocilizumab at my hospital and it doesnt seem to do anything. I forget the major difference between the two drugs but it's an older il6 inhbitior.

I really dont think a paradigm shifting treatment is gonna come out. Maybe some stuff like remdesivir, where its effective but not in a game changing way.

One sarulimab trial should report primary data this month, I think there's one next month too. I've been thinking about grabbing some Regeneron and Sanofi stock since they seemed promising but you dashed my hopes a bit.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Reality: We're calling something that maybe gives you a 30% (at best) increase in time from hospitalization to release and questionable mortality data the standard of care and its heinously expensive and there will be a million regimes of care, max, by end 2020.

GOON THREAD: THE HYPER WEALTHY ARE HARVESTING SUPER ANTIBODIES AND THAT'S WHY THEY AREN'T DYING :byodood:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

Reality: We're calling something that maybe gives you a 30% (at best) increase in time from hospitalization to release and questionable mortality data the standard of care and its heinously expensive and there will be a million regimes of care, max, by end 2020.

GOON THREAD: THE HYPER WEALTHY ARE HARVESTING SUPER ANTIBODIES AND THAT'S WHY THEY AREN'T DYING :byodood:

nice meltdown may

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Schnorkles posted:

I think it looks like a biohazard placard covered dumpster just engulfed in flames while a bunch of guys who look like the nerd from the Simpsons or Muppets run around in a panic. I think this because it's the funniest way to think about it, and laughter is the best medicine

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So official deaths at 80k by the end of the week, and I heard projections are ~135k by August. Probably won't crack a full 0.1% of the population dead by the end of the year, but might be in the same ballpark.

How much of a hit does that represent relative to the average year's death toll, anyway? Are the actual losses from Coronavirus going to have an impact on their own, aside from the effects of quarantine and the politics of the relief efforts? Or is the number of deaths low enough to just be folded into the normal total?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Dustcat posted:

if there was a miracle drug for the hyperwealthy that reliably worked, trump would have blurted it out

yeah there's no way he'd keep this himself, he'd be talking about it and claiming credit every second 24/7

this is so he can keep hiding bodies lol

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

One sarulimab trial should report primary data this month, I think there's one next month too. I've been thinking about grabbing some Regeneron and Sanofi stock since they seemed promising but you dashed my hopes a bit.

There's a series of things in the works rn. As far as I know the most promising stuff is the plasma therapies but I've been so deep in testing machinery software that I haven't been able to pay attention over the last week or two.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

pigz posted:

Trump is a notorious Germaphobe. If he thought he really could get sick people would of been wearing masks in the white house for weeks now. They would of been testing everyday. He wouldn't be going to a Honeywell plant and not wear a mask if he REALLY thought he could get it (he just wouldn't go). But he thinks because he is Pres people would sooner chop of their own hand then get him sick. It's just all the important people think it's all a hoax too so there's no way for them to keep him safe.

It cracks me up that literally every thing that comes out of Trump's mouth is a lie, yet people believe that he's telling the truth about being a germophobe.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

pigz posted:

Trump is a notorious Germaphobe. If he thought he really could get sick people would of been wearing masks in the white house for weeks now. They would of been testing everyday. He wouldn't be going to a Honeywell plant and not wear a mask if he REALLY thought he could get it (he just wouldn't go). But he thinks because he is Pres people would sooner chop of their own hand then get him sick. It's just all the important people think it's all a hoax too so there's no way for them to keep him safe.

lmao at all you dummies that think trump does smart things for smart reasons, just lmfao

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Historically, people with money are the target of scams, Henry Ford was so loving out of touch with how rich fuckers should be, this one group could not con him, he wasn't clever enough to fall for it.

The turbowealthy have fallen for some historical cons by virtue of believing they are smarter and more capable than they are.

It's like a running joke among wall st sell side brokers that older doctors are the best marks for scammy investment opportunities. They had lots of extra money, the arrogance to think because they do <one specific medicine thing> well they are smart in all other areas, and usually out of touch with anything that's not their country club and hospital politics.

See also, the daytrader dentist meme and every techbro in love with cryptocoins.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Wonder what the black guy on the stage thinks about serenading one of the worlds most notorious white nationalists

Guess hes getting paid either way

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I work in the MMR factory where I live and I can confirm

It's a pretty chill job the machine mixes the aluminum and lead and urine into the tapwater water and then we just push a button to squirt in whatever condition the futures market thinks is going to be a big money maker in six months. Right now we're making good money on covid but you heard it here first if you want to get ahead of the market cholera may just be making a comeback in 2021!

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Dolash posted:

So official deaths at 80k by the end of the week, and I heard projections are ~135k by August. Probably won't crack a full 0.1% of the population dead by the end of the year, but might be in the same ballpark.

How much of a hit does that represent relative to the average year's death toll, anyway? Are the actual losses from Coronavirus going to have an impact on their own, aside from the effects of quarantine and the politics of the relief efforts? Or is the number of deaths low enough to just be folded into the normal total?

2.8 million Americans die every year

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

it's your money but buying pharma stock based on internet rumors is straight up gambling. i mean even more so than buying stock usually is

caveat emptor and all

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Also my optometrist in Manhattan sent an email saying they hope to reopen on May 18th and I was just like "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahhahahaha ok"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

But seriously though eventually even strong daddy Cuomo is gonna realize the feds and gop are perfectly willing to let workers starve to death and have to cave. We'll probably have bars and restaurants open by July just to avoid longer, more noticable bread lines.

White collar workers will continue to enjoy WFH and Seamless every day.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

power word- Jeb! posted:

it's your money but buying pharma stock based on internet rumors is straight up gambling. i mean even more so than buying stock usually is

caveat emptor and all

I hate money and the pandemic has made online poker too easy. Gotta find a new way to feed the sharks.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

mrmcd posted:

Also my optometrist in Manhattan sent an email saying they hope to reopen on May 18th and I was just like "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahhahahaha ok"

those optometrists, always looking on the bright side

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

*trump shits his pants, screams SEF, SEFFA HAI*

CSPAM posters: Hmm yes this was another example of Trump changing the conversation, he's really a master at media manipulation

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1258838201818476544

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mrmcd posted:

It's like a running joke among wall st sell side brokers that older doctors are the best marks for scammy investment opportunities. They had lots of extra money, the arrogance to think because they do <one specific medicine thing> well they are smart in all other areas, and usually out of touch with anything that's not their country club and hospital politics.

See also, the daytrader dentist meme and every techbro in love with cryptocoins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YES9OE8Ppjo

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Tests might actually be a bad idea? Who knows??? I guess we will find out...
:smugdon:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/JenAshleyWright/status/1258582310213091329?s=20

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

WampaLord posted:

https://twitter.com/VadaCallisto/status/1258563659892166656

can't wait till "smoke weed everyday" becomes official health policy

Someone show this to tump immediately, weed would be decriminalized nationally tomorrow, and he can take credit for killing two birds with one stone

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dolash posted:

Each year, around 1.1% of the US population dies.

WW2 killed .32% of the population over the course of the war. That level today would be around 1 million deaths given our current population.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

"we found out someone has tested positive. see, this is why we shouldn't test people!"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

What can be done? Trump isn’t GOD. This is all an unforeseen problem. No one is the world was prepared for this. He is doing a great job

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

I mean think of it, one day you are testing beautifully, and then no one sees it coming you get another big wonderful test and its positive, what are we to do folks

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Atrocious Joe posted:

What can be done? Trump isn’t GOD. This is all an unforeseen problem. No one is the world was prepared for this. He is doing a great job

source your quotes

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

trump is literally god. he has foreseen all and prepared for everything. trust the plan

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Zil posted:

source your quotes

asking for sources is thinking about this the wrong way. instead, try asking "Why are the democrats lying about this to hurt America and Trump?"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Covid!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

"she tested very good" lmao