Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-52577485

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Down Periscope sequel looking good

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

As we say in Norway: it's not the fart that kills you, it's the smell :dadjoke:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Well, that one's going into the anals of history

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

I woke up in the middle of the night a few nights back and started thinking about old X-Men comics, you know, as a perfectly normal brain operates, and it struck me that Sentinels - those nutty old mass-produced murder robots - were built with the ability to breach escape velocity, which I'd always thought was supposed to be a really challenging thing to do

Maybe they are friction-less? I mean Magneto can pull your blood out even though blood isn't magnetic.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Down Periscope sequel looking good

I understood that reference.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Shifty Nipples posted:

Maybe they are friction-less? I mean Magneto can pull your blood out even though blood isn't magnetic.

lol blood has iron in it, dummy

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

fake but funny

Bobby Digital has a new favorite as of 22:00 on May 8, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

H.R. Giger inspired horror game Scorn is back with an extremely moist trailer

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Captain Monkey posted:

lol blood has iron in it, dummy

Yes, but the iron in hemoglobin isn't ferromagnetic. Which is good, because otherwise having an MRI would pull all your blood out.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Clearly, Magneto is more powerful than an MRI machine, duh.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
See, Magneto has power over MAGNETISM. Not "Power over ferrous items"

To his detriment, he never took a basic science class, so just mentally went " Okay, Magnetism, I can control anything Iron/steel. Neat!"

If he didn't have that blockage, he would be an Omega level mutant, as everything has a magnetic field.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Shifty Nipples posted:

If your referring to just the scene from the movie, and not something from the comics, they explained that ability. There was an earlier scene where Mystique seduced the guard at a nightclub, knocked him out, then injected ferrofluid into him. The next day when the guard goes to work at Magnetos prison, Magneto then extracts the ferrofluid, along with a lot of blood.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

After living through the 1970s and 1980s as a rock star with his butt intact, somehow gardening found a way.

He's lucky. Bizarre gardening accidents can be fatal to musicians.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Anything is magnetic if you try hard enough, losers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Owls sounds less scary when you find out they cannot swallow anything bigger than a mouse head.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I feel like I'm not getting this reference

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

The MSJ posted:

Owls sounds less scary when you find out they cannot swallow anything bigger than a mouse head.

this rational thought is not helpful when you are out in the wilderness at night a great horned owl glides through your field of vision unannounced

they are dead silent in flight too so you don't hear a flap or bristling feathers or anything to alert you, just suddenly

OOPS A OWL HERE, REAL BIG, REAL FAST. HE TURN HIS HEAD AND STARE LIKE "THE gently caress YOU DOIN IN MY WOODS?" AS HE SWOOP BY, EN ROUTE TO VERMIN DINNER

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's also freaky when you hear a vague whisper of disturbed air, and then suddenly the blood curdling scream of its prey.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

https://apnews.com/00be64c03128dd263f9faed853a6fea8

Is that what you’re referencing?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

He just really didn't like Octopus's Garden.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/JimmyJazz1968/status/1258973342805053443?s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s the Yellow Fleet writ large.

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://youtu.be/6v6eqXGU2VE

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

No really related, but related:

The Galactic Encyclopedia posted:

Magratheans are the inhabitants of the legendary planet, Magrathea. Because their planet-building operation was so successful, they reduced the rest of the galaxy to abject poverty.

Since no planet was rich enough to buy a planet from them, all Magratheans decided to sleep through the recession until the galactic economy returned to a level which could require and pay for their services. The only Magrathean to appear in the story is Slartibartfast.

I heard the workers of these ships are in near slavery

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Milo and POTUS posted:

See John "Stumpy" Pepys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinal_Tap_(band)#Drums,_percussion

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

WITCHCRAFT posted:

this rational thought is not helpful when you are out in the wilderness at night a great horned owl glides through your field of vision unannounced

they are dead silent in flight too so you don't hear a flap or bristling feathers or anything to alert you, just suddenly

OOPS A OWL HERE, REAL BIG, REAL FAST. HE TURN HIS HEAD AND STARE LIKE "THE gently caress YOU DOIN IN MY WOODS?" AS HE SWOOP BY, EN ROUTE TO VERMIN DINNER

I guess you wouldn't want to know that prehistoric Italy had an owl species the size of a child. However, it's only that size because mice where it lived were as big as modern cats.

We of course know the real scary birds were the 50lbs geese that shared its habitat.

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 13:11 on May 9, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Eagles have been known to prey on human children.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tei posted:

No really related, but related:

I heard the workers of these ships are in near slavery

Due to being legally incorporated in absolute shithole countries with little to nothing in the way of worker right laws

yes

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

A former coworker who is the sister in law of a current coworker went to work on a cruise ship (Carnival) and he told me the way they pay is a lump sum of like 10k or so for a period of time which sounds great until you work out it comes to just minimum wage or even less. And nothing is free on the ships so if you want internet you pay for it.
From what he said most of the Americans that work for cruise lines come out of their contract with almost nothing because they buy the duty free booze in their off hours and just party for their entire contracts.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
A generation raised on the whacky, loveable antics of The Love Boat finds out how much bullshit it all was.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Let me restore your fear of owls:

Great horned owl attacks skier twice, leaves him with 16 puncture wounds

Rogue owl caught after year-long reign of terror in Dutch town

Was an Owl the Real Culprit in the Peterson Murder Mystery?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hell, I don't need any more reasons to be terrified of owls :sweatdrop:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Platystemon posted:

quote:

Henley called paramedics to his home on November 21, 1980, where a 16-year-old girl was found naked and claiming she had overdosed on quaaludes and cocaine. She was arrested for prostitution, while a 15-year-old girl found in the house was arrested for being under the influence of drugs. Henley was arrested and subsequently charged for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. He pled no contest, was fined $2,500 and put on two years' probation

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

Is that why they're our national bird

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sydney newspaper article about a 1957 Little Richard concert

:rip:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

What a disrespectful way to refer to a rock n roll royalty.
We'll never see his like again.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hell, I don't need any more reasons to be terrified of owls :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit