Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Is that a NetApp Fibre Channel card? Good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Just pushed to 136TB locally, and automated my media grabbing. I've created a terrible monster.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Paul MaudDib posted:

2950 first gen is probably a Cedarwood (Cedar Mills? I forget the name) Pentium 4. Literal garbage at this point. A Dell R610 looks like a paragon of performance and efficiency in comparison.

It notionally should boot a modern 64 bit OS but that chassis looks like it was gutted and may be missing parts.

Yikes - didn't realize P4s ever got Xeon badges. Gross

It's just missing the drive sleds or trays or whatever they're called. Original owner probably wanted to keep his Linux ISOs secret.

Crunchy Black posted:

Is that a NetApp Fibre Channel card? Good lord.

🤷‍♂️

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Is it too late to return it to the curb?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Munkeymon posted:

Yikes - didn't realize P4s ever got Xeon badges. Gross

The Xeon brand dates back to the Pentium II.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Hi hi, I'm just looking for a recommendation here. I'm looking for a maybe minimum 2TB (and really don't need a whole lot more) network storage option that I'll mainly be using for archival purposes. I want to access it like a normal drive, not via some kind of proprietary software or cloud interface.

Seems like a simple enough ask, but all the NAS stuff I've come across is this multi-bay several hundreds-of-dollars stuff that doesn't even come with the dang storage!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Cyril Sneer posted:

Hi hi, I'm just looking for a recommendation here. I'm looking for a maybe minimum 2TB (and really don't need a whole lot more) network storage option that I'll mainly be using for archival purposes. I want to access it like a normal drive, not via some kind of proprietary software or cloud interface.

Seems like a simple enough ask, but all the NAS stuff I've come across is this multi-bay several hundreds-of-dollars stuff that doesn't even come with the dang storage!

Synology make single drive NAS units.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cyril Sneer posted:

Sounds like for what you want a new router with usb sharing (if your current doesn't support it) and an external drive would be perfect.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Enos Cabell posted:

Sounds like for what you want a new router with usb sharing (if your current doesn't support it) and an external drive would be perfect.

That's not a bad idea. Though I wonder if the all-in cost would be any better, since I'd have to get a new router...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cyril Sneer posted:

That's not a bad idea. Though I wonder if the all-in cost would be any better, since I'd have to get a new router...

What kind of router do you have now?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Charles posted:

What kind of router do you have now?

I'm not even sure, it comes for "free" with my internet cable provider. No USB support.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Stupid question, but its my first time mucking about with this stuff. I'm setting up an old RPI as a compination PiHole / NAS using a couple usb HDDs I have in RAID 1 (just to store files that would be annoying to replace, nothing mission critical, I know this setup doesn't constitute a proper backup). The thing is, one of the drives already has most of the files I want to mirror already on it (actually both do, but I don't think that will be any help) and given that its all going across USB and the bandwidth is shared with the ethernet connection, everything is going to be slow as poo poo. Is there any way to set up the RAID with one of the disks without formatting it and then introduce the second drive to get mirrored to? Google says 'no', but if there is some kind of workaround it'd save me a lot of time so I thought I may as well ask.

It was a stupid question. There's no need for the drives to be in RAID 1. It would be nice to have anything moved in written to both simultaneously, but they don't actually need to be mirrors.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 10, 2020

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Cyril Sneer posted:

If you want to roll something yourself, you can't get too much cheaper than an ODROID-HC2 + software of your choice.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
So I built an Unraid home server earlier this year with an old Ryzen 2700x and an x470 motherboard. it's not huge by this thread standards but has 28TB from 6 drives with 1x parity drive. 2 x 512gb NVME m.2 SSDs for cache. I've only used 2TB of the 28TB so far. The cache runs a Plex server (just for my wife and I), nzbget, radarr, sonarr, and some home automation stuff. For a couple of months it ran a Linux VM with a minecraft server for me to mess around on too.

Today I was reading about Plex causing a lot of wear on cache drives so I pulled up the primary cache drive info and saw this:

It looks like it has already burned through its entire 5y life cycle of writes within half a year.
I've now moved the transcoding directory for Plex to what I think is Unraid's RAM drive (/tmp) but is there anything else I can/should do at this point? Not sure how else to preserve the drive and what I can do when it inevitably fails. Luckily I'm running that second cache drive in parity with the first so that should give me some protection if/when the first drive fails?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Opioid posted:

So I built an Unraid home server earlier this year with an old Ryzen 2700x and an x470 motherboard. it's not huge by this thread standards but has 28TB from 6 drives with 1x parity drive. 2 x 512gb NVME m.2 SSDs for cache. I've only used 2TB of the 28TB so far. The cache runs a Plex server (just for my wife and I), nzbget, radarr, sonarr, and some home automation stuff. For a couple of months it ran a Linux VM with a minecraft server for me to mess around on too.

Today I was reading about Plex causing a lot of wear on cache drives so I pulled up the primary cache drive info and saw this:

It looks like it has already burned through its entire 5y life cycle of writes within half a year.
I've now moved the transcoding directory for Plex to what I think is Unraid's RAM drive (/tmp) but is there anything else I can/should do at this point? Not sure how else to preserve the drive and what I can do when it inevitably fails. Luckily I'm running that second cache drive in parity with the first so that should give me some protection if/when the first drive fails?

What screen shows that report? I want to check mine.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

TraderStav posted:

What screen shows that report? I want to check mine.

On the dashboard, if you click the hyperlinked ‘cache’ in the disk listing area. Gotta scroll down a fair amount for the info.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just had something really bad happen.

I have a case with 8 hard drives in it. It's mostly shucked 8tb white label Western Digitals that I took out of the USB enclosures over a year ago and had no issues with until today.

I just got a new CPU for my system because my old one died. So I figured I would get a new PSU while replacing the CPU because my PSU was old anyway.

I started up my machine and noticed 4 of my hard drives refused to show up in my BIOS and in Windows. After hours of troubleshooting, I came to the conclusion 4 of the hard drives are just completely dead (as in, not getting power). They don't have any clicks of death or anything, they just aren't getting power.

I tried powered external USB enclosures, a different power supply, a different computer and it all came back the same. 4 of the drives are fine and 4 are dead. They are all dead the same way (powering them does absolutely nothing). They are all 8TB white shucked drives except for one which is a red.

The surviving drives are two 4tb drives (one red, one blue), a 10 TB shucked white drive, and a sole 8 TB white shucked drive that survived.

I guess my questions are the following:

1) Did I somehow fry these drives? The four that died were all "next" to each other in the case. I am guessing that it could be a coincidence but could it be that specific "strip" coming from my new power supply fried them? Is one "strip" of SATA plugs coming from my PSU a different voltage than the other one? (I have two SATA strips and two molex strips). Could it have been the Y adapters I was using? They were simple 1 port to 2 port SATA power adapters.

2) Is there any way to resurrect them without spending a thousand dollars per drive? I know if this was a situation where I dropped them I'd be screwed but I have a small glimmer of hope because they simply aren't receiving power. I am decent with a soldering iron and electronics but am not some supreme expert or anything.

I really appreciate it. This has been a really really lovely week and this is just the icing on the cake.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I just had something really bad happen.

I have a case with 8 hard drives in it. It's mostly shucked 8tb white label Western Digitals that I took out of the USB enclosures over a year ago and had no issues with until today.

I just got a new CPU for my system because my old one died. So I figured I would get a new PSU while replacing the CPU because my PSU was old anyway.

I started up my machine and noticed 4 of my hard drives refused to show up in my BIOS and in Windows. After hours of troubleshooting, I came to the conclusion 4 of the hard drives are just completely dead (as in, not getting power). They don't have any clicks of death or anything, they just aren't getting power.

I tried powered external USB enclosures, a different power supply, a different computer and it all came back the same. 4 of the drives are fine and 4 are dead. They are all dead the same way (powering them does absolutely nothing). They are all 8TB white shucked drives except for one which is a red.

The surviving drives are two 4tb drives (one red, one blue), a 10 TB shucked white drive, and a sole 8 TB white shucked drive that survived.

I guess my questions are the following:

1) Did I somehow fry these drives? The four that died were all "next" to each other in the case. I am guessing that it could be a coincidence but could it be that specific "strip" coming from my new power supply fried them? Is one "strip" of SATA plugs coming from my PSU a different voltage than the other one? (I have two SATA strips and two molex strips). Could it have been the Y adapters I was using? They were simple 1 port to 2 port SATA power adapters.

2) Is there any way to resurrect them without spending a thousand dollars per drive? I know if this was a situation where I dropped them I'd be screwed but I have a small glimmer of hope because they simply aren't receiving power. I am decent with a soldering iron and electronics but am not some supreme expert or anything.

I really appreciate it. This has been a really really lovely week and this is just the icing on the cake.

Ii'm not sure but my guess is that either the new power supply is giving 3.3V to the pins that disable them with 3.3V, or you used a modular power cable from the old PSU on the new one when they're not compatible?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rexxed posted:

Ii'm not sure but my guess is that either the new power supply is giving 3.3V to the pins that disable them with 3.3V, or you used a modular power cable from the old PSU on the new one when they're not compatible?

Neither power supply is modular.

The only thing I really used that didn't come with the new psu were these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IBA3XCW

Could those adapters have done it?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Neither power supply is modular.

The only thing I really used that didn't come with the new psu were these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IBA3XCW

Could those adapters have done it?

That's unlikely as those would leave out the 3.3V line entirely.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
So how could this have happened then? :(

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Opioid posted:

While that is Unraid's temporary filesystem, using /tmp isn't a great idea, because that'll swallow up all your system memory and end up evicting other processes from memory. /dev/shm is limited to half available physical memory, so a transcode may fail, but you're a lot less likely to completely run out of system memory and lock up.

(i've had this happen to me a few times and i switched to using /dev/shm, nothing broke again)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

So how could this have happened then? :(

At this point I'd break out a multimeter and check the rails on the SATA connector on the PSU you were using.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Buff Hardback posted:

At this point I'd break out a multimeter and check the rails on the SATA connector on the PSU you were using.

Unfortunately I threw out the old PSU.

But I feel like it can just as easily be this new PSU because I never had a hard drive issue with the old one and today, the first time I powered the tower on with the new one, four drives are dead. So I'm willing to test the new one.

Here's a picture of my multimeter

Sorry for the dumb question but what should I turn the dial to? And then where should I put the red and black probes?

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

Buff Hardback posted:

While that is Unraid's temporary filesystem, using /tmp isn't a great idea, because that'll swallow up all your system memory and end up evicting other processes from memory. /dev/shm is limited to half available physical memory, so a transcode may fail, but you're a lot less likely to completely run out of system memory and lock up.

(i've had this happen to me a few times and i switched to using /dev/shm, nothing broke again)

Thanks for this I’ll switch it over

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
You should turn it to the V with the flat line and dashed bellow it, that is DC. Position 2 will be the right range for 3.3V!

The probes should be the ground symbol (line going down with flat lines coming out the side) on the black. The way you have it should be ok, if the ground/positive are swapped it will just show the voltage as negative, won’t hurt it. The 200mA plug is for measuring current, don’t worry about using that one.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

You should turn it to the V with the flat line and dashed bellow it, that is DC. Position 2 will be the right range for 3.3V!

The probes should be the ground symbol (line going down with flat lines coming out the side) on the black. The way you have it should be ok, if the ground/positive are swapped it will just show the voltage as negative, won’t hurt it. The 200mA plug is for measuring current, don’t worry about using that one.

Thank you! But I don't know where to place the red and black probes. In order to test the SATA lines I would need to touch them to certain pins on the SATA connector, correct? And there's like 10 tiny ones. Which ones go to what?

(sorry if I'm dumb)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Thank you! But I don't know where to place the red and black probes. In order to test the SATA lines I would need to touch them to certain pins on the SATA connector, correct? And there's like 10 tiny ones. Which ones go to what?

(sorry if I'm dumb)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have maybe a dumb question: why do they have 3 pins for each wire?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Charles posted:

I have maybe a dumb question: why do they have 3 pins for each wire?

Mostly for spreading out the amount of current each conductor has to pass through. It doesn’t take a lot of current to cause a problem with those. This way each conductor just has to carry 1/3 of the load.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rexxed posted:

or you used a modular power cable from the old PSU on the new one when they're not compatible?

I watched a friend light a WD RED on fire this way.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for all the helpful replies! I am getting 3.3v, 5.0v, and 12.2v, so I am guessing everything with my power supply is fine.

So it can only be two culprits: either the old power supply, or my UPS backup unit. Has anyone in history ever heard of a UPS actually frying electronics somehow? It's an APC brand but I admit it's very old.

Also does anyone know if I can ever get these drives to spin again? I just tried a board swap, using a working drive's PCB with a dead drive's PCB and the dead drive began spinning! Only issue is that Windows couldn't recognize the drive. I am guessing the PCB wasn't a 100% exact match or something so it doesn't know how to read the drive properly. Or are these drives tied to a BIOS much like the Seagate drives and I am basically screwed out of ever getting them to power up and be recognized ever again?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I watched a friend light a WD RED on fire this way.

That's impressive, we had one swapped in the lab and it just burned one of the contacts off for the NVME U.2 connector on the cable side but thankfully didn't kill the drive. It blew a diode on the cable side too.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I am getting 3.3v, 5.0v, and 12.2v, so I am guessing everything with my power supply is fine.

So it can only be two culprits: either the old power supply, or my UPS backup unit. Has anyone in history ever heard of a UPS actually frying electronics somehow? It's an APC brand but I admit it's very old.

Also does anyone know if I can ever get these drives to spin again? I just tried a board swap, using a working drive's PCB with a dead drive's PCB and the dead drive began spinning! Only issue is that Windows couldn't recognize the drive. I am guessing the PCB wasn't a 100% exact match or something so it doesn't know how to read the drive properly. Or are these drives tied to a BIOS much like the Seagate drives and I am basically screwed out of ever getting them to power up and be recognized ever again?

If you're getting 3.3v on the SATA line, that's your problem. WD white drives use the 3.3v as a disable line that stops the drive from operating. Swap the boards back the way they originally were and tape over the 3.3v pins on the whites. (And the red if it was also a shucked drive.)

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-33V-Pin-Issue-in-White-Label-Disks-/

corgski fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 10, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

corgski posted:

If you're getting 3.3v on the SATA line, that's your problem. WD white drives use the 3.3v as a disable line that stops the drive from operating. Swap the boards back the way they originally were and tape over the 3.3v pins on the whites. (And the red if it was also a shucked drive.)

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Fix-the-33V-Pin-Issue-in-White-Label-Disks-/

I wish it was that. I also have these SATA y-adapters that do not put anything at all on the 3.3v line and the drives still can't be powered up.

priznat posted:

That's impressive, we had one swapped in the lab and it just burned one of the contacts off for the NVME U.2 connector on the cable side but thankfully didn't kill the drive. It blew a diode on the cable side too.

Does your lab have replacement PCBs I can buy? Will they work or do I need a BIOS swap? (Not sure if that's only needed for Seagates. I'm hoping it's not needed for Western Digitals)

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 10, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Does your lab have replacement PCBs I can buy? Will they work or do I need a BIOS swap? (Not sure if that's only needed for Seagates. I'm hoping it's not needed for Western Digitals)

Naw we don't make drives.. Had an oculink to U.2 cable for nvme drive, and it takes the SATA power connector to power the drive, unfortunately the 12V and Gnd pins were swapped on the Corsair modular cable vs the EVGA power supply it was plugged into which totally fried the cable. Luckily the diode went out that saved the drive.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
First two 12TB Elements showed up for my replacement disks. Other than a badblocks pass, anything special I should do before I start swapping drives in my oldest vdev? Luckily I've got one spare SATA port, power connector, and drive mount, so I can test and rebuild without having to rearrange the other 9 disks.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e: nm

Venomous fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 10, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Welp, gently caress.
When I put either one, the other, or both SAS9207-8e controllers into the machine they're destined for, it gets stuck on the "Connecting to devices and adapters…" UEFI phase, where it's looking for legacy and UEFI Option ROMs, forever.

So now I'm either going to need to unmount my workstation from its closet location and test the HBAs that way, or I need to find an empty USB flash disk where I can put WinPE or something else and flash the UEFI, IMM, DSA, and everything else that needs doing.

I don't suppose any of you have heard about a SAS2008-8i interfering with SAS9207-8e controllers on different PCI busses, have you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
B&H has the WD reds on sale today in the deal zone. Remember, don't get 6tb or below