Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Build a fire over it and keep it going for a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I moved into a new house just before quarantine efforts started, so I've had plenty of things to keep me busy.

One of these things is the back yard. I've spend some time over the last couple weeks clearing overgrown vines and volunteer tree the previous owners let run wild.

Now, I've turned my attention towards an area that looks like at one point to have been a purposefully done retaining wall with some ground cover vines. On top of part of this, there is a tree. This tree does not look well. The branches don't seem particularly leafy, and theres a lot of them that didn't bloom or bud at all. Today, I pruned off the dead branches that I had the tools for, and I'm hoping that may help some.

The vines around the tree have gotten pretty overgrown (they're actively strangling at least one ornamental that I can tell is there on purpose), and so it is hard to tell what I'm working with underneath. I also noticed in my initial yard cleanup that there are a number of little baby tree sprigs in those vines. I suspect they are suckers from the main tree and not just volunteers, but I haven't really dug down to take a look. I think it is an empress tree, and the vines are wintercreeper.

So on to the subject of this tree: could the vines below be a big enough competitor to give it trouble? Would taking them out completely be beneficial? I've thought about doing this anyways to put a less aggressive ground cover or something else in. My wife likes the tree a lot of some reason, and TBH, I don't really want to see it go either, though I'll do so if it becomes a problem.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

NotNut posted:

what's the best way to get stumps low enough to mow over them? I've been digging out around them and using a chainsaw but the dirt always gets around and dulls the teeth pretty bad

Ahhhhhhh nooooo lmao

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Build a fire over it and keep it going for a day.

Seems like a decent enough solution

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
You can rent a stump grinder, or pay a tree service to grind it if it's huge.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Use explosives if you are in an area where such a thing is possible.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

NotNut posted:

what's the best way to get stumps low enough to mow over them? I've been digging out around them and using a chainsaw but the dirt always gets around and dulls the teeth pretty bad

Keep the stump. Put a door on it and make a gnome house.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Anyone know what this monster is? Some nasty vine that has taken over a corner of my yard. The vines seem to grow on the ground and woven over each other and are rooted everywhere. I spent probably 2 hours pulling it up before I gave up and just started snipping it and spraying the cut ends with undiluted roundup, but I'm pretty sure every little bit of root left in the ground is going to turn into a new plant. Some of the vines were growing 30' out under the grass. On the gulf coast, zone 8/9.

Maybe some kind of morning glory? I don't think I've ever seen it flower, but it is in the shade. Googling around false bindweed looks like a likely suspect-any ideas on how to eradicate it, or is going nuclear the only option here>

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Just chiming in to say gently caress Bradford pears and their nasty cum-smelling flowers, made my life miserable when I did cross country and went for long runs through landscaped neighborhoods in the humid spring. They also clogged the pool real good once the blooms shed

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Had to go into Walmart for pillows and somehow I slipped and whoops ended up in the garden department

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

coronatae posted:

Just chiming in to say gently caress Bradford pears and their nasty cum-smelling flowers, made my life miserable when I did cross country and went for long runs through landscaped neighborhoods in the humid spring. They also clogged the pool real good once the blooms shed

Aahaha is that what the tree jizz smell is? A friend had one of those outside his house, so grim

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4p0uw42cdo

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Anyone know what’s going on with this plant? I have trillium nearby that I don’t want to have anything happen to.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How dry should calatheas be before watering them? I know they don't like to dry out, but at the same time, I'm losing a lot of leaves on my calathea, and I worry for its long term health. I'm not sure how to get it in the right moisture zone, but the leaves are so pretty and I don't want it to die :(

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Is the soil legit completely dry? It’s a tropical plant, water it @__@

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Oil of Paris posted:

Is the soil legit completely dry? It’s a tropical plant, water it @__@

It's never completely dry, I just feel the top 0.5-1 inch and see how dry it feels, then water if that feels dry. I usually water it around once every two weeks or so. But I haven't really changed my patterns and the leaves are just starting to get yellow and die, so that's why I'm starting to worry about it.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

gently caress rabbits. Bastards ate almost all of my seedlings. I feel a kinship with farmer McGregor.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Bi-la kaifa posted:

gently caress rabbits. Bastards ate almost all of my seedlings. I feel a kinship with farmer McGregor.

Bunnies and deer are a fuckin plague. At least when I chase the groundhog off it runs funny

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Four‐legged pests are bad.

Two‐legged pests are worse. I’m talking about birds here, not man, Plato.

Any other number—six, eight, zero—surpasses even these.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

One of my favorite bits of garden writing is the chapter in Michael Pollan's 'Second Nature' where he describes his journey of 'moving to the country to commune and peacefully coexist with bucolic nature' to 'pouring gasoline down a groundhog hole to burn the bastard out' in the course of about a month.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

'pouring gasoline down a groundhog hole to burn the bastard out'

I want to be able to do this to underground yellow jackets :allears:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Which reminds me

Mods plz change thread title to something about :siren:MURDER HORNETS:siren: tia

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Rabbits are why I plan to have raised beds and occasional early mornings with an air rifle, then a delicious dinner. The meat plants are closing, gotta get my protein somehow!

I also want to raise rabbits, and I the last thing I'll want is diseases x.x

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Suspect Bucket posted:

Rabbits are why I plan to have raised beds and occasional early mornings with an air rifle, then a delicious dinner. The meat plants are closing, gotta get my protein somehow!

I also want to raise rabbits, and I the last thing I'll want is diseases x.x

I used to have some rabbit skin gloves from an uncle who employed this tactic.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

there wolf posted:

I used to have some rabbit skin gloves from an uncle who employed this tactic.

My dad used to work for some old-timey master gardener decades ago who hated moles. He hated moles so much that he would trap/kill them, skin them, tan their hides and turn them into Barbie doll sized coats for all the little girls in the neighborhood. And yes, those girls absolutely loved them, where else are you going to get a real fur coat for your Barbie?

That’s a special kind of hatred right there.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Solkanar512 posted:

My dad used to work for some old-timey master gardener decades ago who hated moles. He hated moles so much that he would trap/kill them, skin them, tan their hides and turn them into Barbie doll sized coats for all the little girls in the neighborhood. And yes, those girls absolutely loved them, where else are you going to get a real fur coat for your Barbie?

That’s a special kind of hatred right there.

When they finally stop rejecting me from the master gardener program, that's the kind of master gardener I aspire to be.

Third time's a charm, right?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Elmer Fudd did nothing wrong

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

From now on I'm only growing poisonous plants :catdrugs:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Bi-la kaifa posted:

From now on I'm only growing poisonous plants :catdrugs:

Greetings. Welcome to foxglove, hellebore, and lily of the valley paradise

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

My first cactus bloom :swoon: Looks like more coming, too, also from the smaller variety

I actually forgot to record what this one is, though, anyone recognize it? (it's two different varieties in that pot)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hello, I have three indoor plants that are pretty much impossible to kill, and I've had them for a couple years (one zanzibar, two sansavierias)

I decided I want to finally put some plants (flowering or not) on my patio after having it be pretty much empty :effort: for years. I have a decent sized space that gets a lot of direct sunlight. I'm thinking just getting two larger plants on stands for the two corners of the patio with direct sunlight. I live in Minnesota, so I'll need something that I can easily deal with when it gets cold. And generally something that doesn't require a ton of watering (I think once a week would be fine for me). Any suggestions?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I stumbled upon a video or two on youtube about cutting off bits of a succulent, letting them bud/grow roots, and then replanting them to grow more plants. Obviously this depends a lot on the plant and the ambient humidity, but is there any rule of thumb to go from cutting to "ok these things are now kosher to put into a new pot"?

Half a random bitch and half a desperate cry for help, I wish I understood why I've got two decently-strong grow lights beaming down on my collection, and some of my succulents are still getting leggy as poo poo. I mean, what the gently caress more do you want? :sigh:

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

but is there any rule of thumb to go from cutting to "ok these things are now kosher to put into a new pot"?

When the wound scabs over.

I recommend all indoor plant growers get a cheap luxmeter to measure their light levels.
The human eye is crap at seeing absolute light levels, sometimes 300 lux can seem super bright when the full sun is ~100,000 lux.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Nosre posted:

My first cactus bloom :swoon: Looks like more coming, too, also from the smaller variety

I actually forgot to record what this one is, though, anyone recognize it? (it's two different varieties in that pot)

Ooooo so exciting :eyepop: I want to see the desert in bloom SO badly look at that color!!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Everything is in bloom here :) I'll post some pictures. In addition to the regular geckos and rattlesnakes (on our property but down below where we are, past the courtyard gates), this week we had a big king snake getting out of the sun and a sweet dessert spiny lizard.

Ahah: I forgot my account has a bug where I can't attach pictures, I'll upload to imgur.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 8, 2020

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Hey there. This is crossposted from the landscaping thread, which wasn't able to give me quite the feedback I was hoping for.

This is the edge of our property, which had a bunch of ugly bushes. With no gym access lately, I've been getting my exercise ripping them out. I've just about finished (one remains, out of frame). My tentative plan is to plant some Thuja Green Giant privacy trees. Ideally I'd keep them somewhere between 6 and 10 feet. They'll serve three purposes: noise reduction from the street, protecting the house from a cold northern wind, and aesthetics. Here's what I'm considering: https://www.homedepot.com/p/9-25-in-Pot-Emerald-Green-Arborvitae-Thuja-Live-Evergreen-Shrub-Tree-Green-Foliage-55203FL/205544441 or https://www.brighterblooms.com/products/thuja-green-giant basically. I'm in Buffalo, which seems to be an adequate growing zone. There's a lot of deer here, and apparently they're quite deer resistant to boot. (I imagine I'll end up needing to burlap them anyways over the winter.) Here's what I'm unsure of:

1. Is this the best tree for the job?
2. The bushes I dug out were an assorted lot. I got the majority of each, but I certainly didn't dig out every root, some of which seem to run several feet deep. Can I plant those trees in this same area without concern how any leftover roots may impact the new trees?
3. The planting instructions seem fairly simple. Dig a wide hole, drop the tree in the hole, fill with soil, top with mulch, and water on a schedule. There's no mention of any sort of framing or support structure being needed. They're supposed to be planted 5' on center, which is quite similar to the existing holes from the bushes, so I was going to make good use of the holes I've already dug (the mini ponds pictured above). Is that really all there is to it?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Are there any carnivorous plant nerds in here? I made a trip to a somewhat nearby kettle bog last year and saw my first ever sarracenia and fell in love, now they're fairly freshly out of fridge-dormancy and hauling rear end once again. Such cool plants.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

I stumbled upon a video or two on youtube about cutting off bits of a succulent, letting them bud/grow roots, and then replanting them to grow more plants. Obviously this depends a lot on the plant and the ambient humidity, but is there any rule of thumb to go from cutting to "ok these things are now kosher to put into a new pot"?

Keep in mind that not all succulents can be propagated from cuttings so it's worth googling "whatever propagation" before you spend three months looking at a leaf that was never capable of rooting.

If you read around you'll see people say a lot of different things. You basically just take an appropriate cutting (or leaf you accidentally knocked off or whatever), optionally hit it with some root hormone, let the wound callous over (you can usually tell pretty clearly) and then wait for it to root in some sun. Depending on the kind of plant/cutting you can either lay it on top of soil or stick the end of it in while you wait for it to start rooting.

A lot of people talk about misting their cuttings daily even before they have roots (after they have calloused) but I'm not convinced that it accomplishes much of anything. Once they have roots they can start taking up water (in small amounts more often than a full plant). Then you just wait for them to get big enough to treat them like a regular (small) plant.

Thread is better when the balance of pictures to :words: is maintained so here's some Sedum rubrotinctum leaves I knocked off by accident that are starting to put out new tiny little leaves:

And here's some cuttings of Sedum sexangulare (and maybe some other variety) that are rooting like mad:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bad News: I haven’t gotten any work done on my garden or my trellis in almost 3 weeks. :whitewater:

Good News: The cats haven’t shitted in my garden area at all in that same period of time. :hellyeah:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Wallet posted:

Keep in mind that not all succulents can be propagated from cuttings so it's worth googling "whatever propagation" before you spend three months looking at a leaf that was never capable of rooting.

If you read around you'll see people say a lot of different things. You basically just take an appropriate cutting (or leaf you accidentally knocked off or whatever), optionally hit it with some root hormone, let the wound callous over (you can usually tell pretty clearly) and then wait for it to root in some sun. Depending on the kind of plant/cutting you can either lay it on top of soil or stick the end of it in while you wait for it to start rooting.

A lot of people talk about misting their cuttings daily even before they have roots (after they have calloused) but I'm not convinced that it accomplishes much of anything. Once they have roots they can start taking up water (in small amounts more often than a full plant). Then you just wait for them to get big enough to treat them like a regular (small) plant.

Thread is better when the balance of pictures to :words: is maintained so here's some Sedum rubrotinctum leaves I knocked off by accident that are starting to put out new tiny little leaves:

And here's some cuttings of Sedum sexangulare (and maybe some other variety) that are rooting like mad:

This works super well with jade plants
Here are some I did with leaves on some homemade succ mix in a takeout container I punched drain holes in. Also a piece that broke off another random succ I got as a gift.

These are ready to be dug out and put in their own pots any time. I usually dig them out with a fork, and try to tease whatever roots it has out from the others.

Here's another tray I've been growing cuttings and pruned leaves in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

Are there any carnivorous plant nerds in here? I made a trip to a somewhat nearby kettle bog last year and saw my first ever sarracenia and fell in love, now they're fairly freshly out of fridge-dormancy and hauling rear end once again. Such cool plants.

I have a couple dozen, mostly sarracenia. I'll try to remember to post pictures tomorrow.

Someone here (can't remember who) works for Predatory Plants.

They're a lot of fun to grow, and they always have something interesting going on. I wish they were more popular, because they're really not difficult to grow.