Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Lol this thread made me think about watching Caretaker which I haven't seen since it aired. I remember writing down all the cool specs for Voyager. I did not remember Quark doing a great number on ol' Harry Kim at the watering hole.

I have an episode list of good ones from the old Star Trek thread so I'll have to at least work through those. And Threshold, of course.

edit: new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Martytoof posted:

I’m like two episodes in and the one thing I can’t get over is just how indifferent all the Maquis seem to be to Tuvok who, just a few days ago, was revealed to be infiltrating their thing. I mean, that or I’m just so used to recent prestige tv nu-trek where they’d spend a whole season arc just exploring that and forgetting there’s aliens and cool poo poo in space pew pew!

That's the evidence I point to when I say the show basically abandoned half of it's premise before the pilot was over. There are like a total of 3 episodes where part of the crew being Maquis is even sort of related to the plot of the episode, and the third one is 4-5 seasons in.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

xerxus posted:

Don't be so racist. Just because the Super Synths have menacing tentacles doesn't mean they're actually genocidal.

For all we know, the Admonition was left behind by an equivalent of a trickster Q of the Synths and not at all representative of the species.

#NOTALLSYNTHS

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I’m like two episodes in and the one thing I can’t get over is just how indifferent all the Maquis seem to be to Tuvok who, just a few days ago, was revealed to be infiltrating their thing. I mean, that or I’m just so used to recent prestige tv nu-trek where they’d spend a whole season arc just exploring that and forgetting there’s aliens and cool poo poo in space pew pew!

There's another timeline out there where Discovery was made in the mid 90's with TOS movie style aesthetics, and Voyager is a new post-TNG series that spends most of its time exploring the drama between the crew.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don’t know about Voyaer. It’s not BAD, but so far in S1 it’s downright bland. The first few episodes had my finger hovering over the FF button 90% of the time *cough* Vulcan murder mystery *cough*

I just outright skipped a few based on the Netflix summary blurb too.

DS9 S1 was bland too, but I was far more attached to the characters and setting. I won’t lie, I dig the fact that it’s set on a ship again, and I’m really enjoying monster of the week, but .. this isn’t great writing.

Onto S2 soon, at least.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 8, 2020

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I don’t know about Voyaer. It’s not BAD, but so far in S1 it’s downright bland. The first few episodes had my finger hovering over the FF button 90% of the time *cough* Vulcan murder mystery *cough*

I just outright skipped a few based on the Netflix summary blurb too.

DS9 S1 was bland too, but I was far more attached to the characters and setting. I won’t lie, I dig the fact that it’s set on a ship again, and I’m really enjoying monster of the week, but .. this isn’t great writing.

Onto S2 soon, at least.

Voyager's greatest failing is that it is so bland and forgettable. It's not even memorably bad.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

There's another timeline out there where Discovery was made in the mid 90's with TOS movie style aesthetics, and Voyager is a new post-TNG series that spends most of its time exploring the drama between the crew.

It's fine it's called Battlestar Galactica and it did all this.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bland *is* bad though, its being a nothing program that's just a waste of time to watch. S1 of Disco is at least entertainingly stupid with its constant plot twists and insane raising of stakes, most of Voyager is just a pointless, time filler show.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Bland white noise vs. aggressively violent and stupid, the Trekkie's dilemma for 20 years.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Bland white noise vs. aggressively violent and stupid, the Trekkie's dilemma for 20 years.

Honestly, its why TNG is such a masterpiece of a show. Action but also the quiet parts were brisk and in depth.

I think Picard was scared to lean into quieter moments and steer into optimism in its first season but there are elements of something good there. Like it gave a solid start and just flopped on the ending,

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I really enjoyed how they set up these two interesting former romulan secret agents and then when Picard went on a dangerous mission with no official support involving romulan assassins belonging to an even more secret organization of romulan secret agents he just left them at home to tend the vineyard and they were never brought up again

Like maybe he should have left the drunk depressed lady to handle the grapes instead of demanding she destroy her life and relationships even further for him

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tighclops posted:

I really enjoyed how they set up these two interesting former romulan secret agents and then when Picard went on a dangerous mission with no official support involving romulan assassins belonging to an even more secret organization of romulan secret agents he just left them at home to tend the vineyard and they were never brought up again

Left them at home in order to recruit a romulan secret assassin. That he'd abandoned as a child and never thought to visit again.

The thing about Picard is that I think buried under the layers of pointless characters and plot points that go absolutely nowhere there's a genuinely good show, it's just that the script needed several more passes before they started filming.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
A skilled artist could carve masterpiece out of a pile of moderately stale cowshit, that doesn't mean you're not still looking at cowshit

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Remember when Picard deliberately started a race scene and created a situation which got several people killed just to get his secret assassin's attention, which neither he nor the show on reflected on at all at any point afterwards? Good times.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

multijoe posted:

Remember when Picard deliberately started a race scene and created a situation which got several people killed just to get his secret assassin's attention, which neither he nor the show on reflected on at all at any point afterwards? Good times.

If you ignore the very next scene where he chews out Elnor for killing those guys, sure.

There's plenty of stuff to critique without flat out making stuff up.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If you ignore the very next scene where he chews out Elnor for killing those guys, sure.

There's plenty of stuff to critique without flat out making stuff up.

He incites the dude to kill for him and then chews him out for it, real thought provoking stuff

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I can be very forgiving of a new show's flaws, and I pretty much enjoyed Picard enough to not regret watching (though I'll likely not re-watch it), but yeah... that whole scene just pissed me off with its nonsensicality. In fact I'm hard pressed to think of a scene I hated more, atm.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I can be very forgiving of a new show's flaws, and I pretty much enjoyed Picard enough to not regret watching (though I'll likely not re-watch it), but yeah... that whole scene just pissed me off with its nonsensicality. In fact I'm hard pressed to think of a scene I hated more, atm.

The eyeball scene? Murdering Hugh for literally no reason?

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
I rather enjoyed the Irish Romulan. She seemed moderately fleshed out, likable, and had a connection to Picard that was natural and unforced in the context of the story and didnt rely on bolting on a whole new sub-faction of Romulans in a meandering tell-not-show, father-son backstory that wasted two god-drat episodes.

Instead we got Elnor, who loving sucked. Man had no problem chopping fools in half at a moments notice but when some ex-borg he met five minutes ago takes a batarang to the throat he's consumed with grief for the loving guy and wont stop going on about him.

Similarly, the bad-guy woman Romulan who spends the season being this 2D cartoon of a villain but suddenly and fleetingly develops the shade of a third dimension to her character for one scene where we watch her mourning for her brain-mushed friend and I guess are supposed to applaud the writers for their subtle character development?

Picard is like loving 'unearned scenes, the TV show'

Peachfart posted:

The eyeball scene? Murdering Hugh for literally no reason?

Hugh's murder was absolutely in character and made sense in terms of Romulan baddy being extra evil and mwahahaha and all that, it was the histrionics from Elnor and 7 (but not Picard, the one guy who had a connection to him) that was stupid.

Edit: Also while I'm thinking about it, their ship made the classic 'red alert' noise, which was cool, but just did it without anyone saying 'red alert' which negated the coolness for me.

Simiain fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 9, 2020

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

In addition to getting Elnor involved in the plot, the Picard bar scene was about an arrogant old hero making a self-righteous scene only to be confronted with the reality that he helped create the conditions he detests.

It was a tight sequence that told a lot of story and a lot about the character in a short amount of time. I thought it was one of the better sequences in the show.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 10, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’d like more Elnor, I think there’s plenty of mileage in ‘innocent little boy in man’s body who’s also a deadly assassin’ as a character.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

In addition to getting Elnor involved in the plot, the Picard bar scene was about an arrogant old hero making a self-righteous scene only to be confronted with the reality that he helped create the conditions he detests.

It was a tight sequence that told a lot of story and a lot about the character in a short amount of time. I thought it was one of the better sequences in the show.

wait is that the scene where the romulan guy isn't even consistent about why he's mad across like 3 lines

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Simiain posted:

I rather enjoyed the Irish Romulan. She seemed moderately fleshed out, likable, and had a connection to Picard that was natural and unforced in the context of the story and didnt rely on bolting on a whole new sub-faction of Romulans in a meandering tell-not-show, father-son backstory that wasted two god-drat episodes.

Instead we got Elnor, who loving sucked. Man had no problem chopping fools in half at a moments notice but when some ex-borg he met five minutes ago takes a batarang to the throat he's consumed with grief for the loving guy and wont stop going on about him.

Similarly, the bad-guy woman Romulan who spends the season being this 2D cartoon of a villain but suddenly and fleetingly develops the shade of a third dimension to her character for one scene where we watch her mourning for her brain-mushed friend and I guess are supposed to applaud the writers for their subtle character development?

Picard is like loving 'unearned scenes, the TV show'

Hugh's murder was absolutely in character and made sense in terms of Romulan baddy being extra evil and mwahahaha and all that, it was the histrionics from Elnor and 7 (but not Picard, the one guy who had a connection to him) that was stupid.

Edit: Also while I'm thinking about it, their ship made the classic 'red alert' noise, which was cool, but just did it without anyone saying 'red alert' which negated the coolness for me.
There's a lot of plot stuff that felt like it either should have been removed from the scripts because it didn't go anywhere, or followed up on

The Romulan housekeepers were probably the most interesting of the new characters, tbh

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
The Romulan housekeepers seemed like the kind of characters that, having been offscreen for a while, would come riding in out of nowhere to save the day at the end of the season, but we didn’t even get that.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
One of the series’ biggest crimes is setting us up for Picard having a dog (down to really promoting him in the series lead up), and then outside of the first episode he’s not seen again!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Zaroff posted:

One of the series’ biggest crimes is setting us up for Picard having a dog (down to really promoting him in the series lead up), and then outside of the first episode he’s not seen again!

I know! That dog could have totally bitten a Romulan's rear end!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Tighclops posted:

wait is that the scene where the romulan guy isn't even consistent about why he's mad across like 3 lines

:sigh: I don't know, man. Please, illuminate us.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Uncle Lloyd posted:

The Romulan housekeepers seemed like the kind of characters that, having been offscreen for a while, would come riding in out of nowhere to save the day at the end of the season, but we didn’t even get that.

Hell, I was half expecting something like that with Dahj showing up out of nowhere. It took me forever to figure out these androids are supposed to be mostly organic or something like the humanoid cylons from BSG. Seems like a step-back from Data though.

I also figured that we'd see Riker show up out of nowhere and that one happened.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Irish Romulans exist to make the story terrible by revealing the whole mystery to Picard before he's even left Earth. The show doesn't just have loose characters and plot threads all over the place, the first two espidoes are written as if it's a whodunnit mystery show, then it turns out to be a heist show without any sense of time pressure.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

The_Doctor posted:

I’d like more Elnor, I think there’s plenty of mileage in ‘innocent little boy in man’s body who’s also a deadly assassin’ as a character.

I hope he gets phasered from forty yards away in season 2 and dies, because having only an edged weapon in a sci-fi show is dumb as hell and being a serial truth-teller is a poor substitute for using The Force to tell when far away poo poo is going to kill you.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This show was only 10 episodes, he’s not even in the first three, and yet they basically run out of stuff for him to do after episode 7 or so

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

FlamingLiberal posted:

This show was only 10 episodes, he’s not even in the first three, and yet they basically run out of stuff for him to do after episode 7 or so

Yeah, they pretty much turned Seven into an action hero but at least they can fall back her doing science poo poo whenever they don’t need to have a bunch of people killed. She can be Reverse Jadzia, no idea what this guy can be.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Everything with Seven is so weird. She is just radically different from when we last saw the character, and while I get that some bad things have happened to her, she feels like a completely different character.

I also feel like she didn’t need to be in the show that much considering what she ends up doing. I would have liked to have had more time between her and Picard considering their shared past and all of that.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Just make the focus of season 2 of Picard about the Irish Romulans working on the vineyard while secretly thwarting attempts on Picard's life without him noticing.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I kept waiting for there to be some important connection between the androids and the Borg that would make her character’s inclusion vitally important. Then it started becoming obvious that she was just around to include a popular previous gen character and her usefulness stopped at operating a Borg teleporter. Her new personality is probably the brainchild of whatever twelve year old thought Elnor would be a good idea.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CubanMissile posted:

I kept waiting for there to be some important connection between the androids and the Borg that would make her character’s inclusion vitally important. Then it started becoming obvious that she was just around to include a popular previous gen character and her usefulness stopped at operating a Borg teleporter. Her new personality is probably the brainchild of whatever twelve year old thought Elnor would be a good idea.
Everything with the Borg was just background. I also expected them to have some relevance this season but there was none.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Just make the focus of season 2 of Picard about the Irish Romulans working on the vineyard while secretly thwarting attempts on Picard's life without him noticing.

Patrick Stewart as a blissfully unaware Picard just having a good time on his vineyard while his two Romulan friends keep saving him from threats and dangers he never even learns about is a show I would watch with glee.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tiggum posted:

Patrick Stewart as a blissfully unaware Picard just having a good time on his vineyard while his two Romulan friends keep saving him from threats and dangers he never even learns about is a show I would watch with glee.

"Nonsense, it's a beautiful day. Come, number one, let's take a stroll."

*intense firefight just behind Picard as the Romulans take out a drop-ship of assassin drones*

"Hm, a bit hot, actually, perhaps a water..."

*one Romulan stops garroting a spy for long enough to hand him a brimming ice water*

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If they're the Penny and Brain to Picard's Inspector Gadget then I'm all for Picard trying to solve mysteries around the universe in S2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Everything with Seven is so weird. She is just radically different from when we last saw the character, and while I get that some bad things have happened to her, she feels like a completely different character.

I also feel like she didn’t need to be in the show that much considering what she ends up doing. I would have liked to have had more time between her and Picard considering their shared past and all of that.

Same but also Picard.