Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Jedit posted:

Wallenstein was #10 in what was probably the most solid BGG top 10 of all time. Eight of the other nine games are widely considered to be all-time greats: Age of Steam, Ra, Die Macher, El Grande, Power Grid, Caylus, T&E and Puerto Rico.

I wouldn't bother with the new Kickstarter, though. Queen most recently reworked Wallenstein/Shogun as Immortals, and you can pick that up for around €40 right now if you look. Unless you really want the deluxe bits, it's the better deal.
What's the goon opinion of Immortals? It is on sale at one of my local online stores for about £25. I don't really need more games but that seems to be a really good deal.

e: Or maybe I will just get the estates instead... Lockdown is going to destroy my bank balance and completely fill my game shelves.

Redundant fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Anyone brought into this? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fellowshipgames/vampires-egyptians-and-necromancers-for-fantasy-football/description

It's on the last 24 hours and I can't decide. So many cool minis like the scarab coach assistant, in fact I mostly just want the add on models but then they won't ship until next year and who the gently caress knows if i'll want them then.

e. also I got that fantasy series one because it seemed like an insanely good deal even if you don't want half the stuff

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Anyone have any thoughts on Instant Colors paints? I've got a lot of miniatures and the explanations for how to normally paint puts me off. This feels like a "too good to be true" sort of KS, but I'd love some opinions on its promises.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on Instant Colors paints? I've got a lot of miniatures and the explanations for how to normally paint puts me off. This feels like a "too good to be true" sort of KS, but I'd love some opinions on its promises.

Games Workshop has a whole line of Contrast Paints that work the same way. These should operate as intended as well.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Cat Face Joe posted:

Games Workshop has a whole line of Contrast Paints that work the same way. These should operate as intended as well.

So it being this easy isn't a scam? My miniatures aren't the sort of super-detailed models that beg for a professional touch, so if it's not the greatest quality I'm fine with that.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Bloody Pancreas posted:

So it being this easy isn't a scam? My miniatures aren't the sort of super-detailed models that beg for a professional touch, so if it's not the greatest quality I'm fine with that.

You still have to watch where you put it cause this is a one coat solution so there's not really a way to "paint over" mistakes since you'll be darkening what you've already painted. People in this thread have had success with them. Check some vids on youtube for more info.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Cat Face Joe posted:

You still have to watch where you put it cause this is a one coat solution so there's not really a way to "paint over" mistakes since you'll be darkening what you've already painted. People in this thread have had success with them. Check some vids on youtube for more info.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely do some more research

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Katanas and Trenchcoats is not only somehow still alive, but being handed off to a publisher for finishing.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I don't know if this is the best place for this, but I just formally announced our next kickstarter - Monster Care Squad, a game about caring for and healing big incredible Monsters in a miyazaki/Journey inspired world. I'm doing an AMA and showing off the art we have on twitter, here's the link if you're interested!
https://twitter.com/SandyPugGames/status/1258046891289391104

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Well, count me in!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lords of Vegas 10th Anniversary bundle

Various combos of Base game + Up! Expansion + brand new 'Underworld' Expansion available.

Also this there's a briefcase tier

This has been on my backburner pickup list for a while, as a mate owns a copy, but all 3 games is super tempting...

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I don't know if this is the best place for this, but I just formally announced our next kickstarter - Monster Care Squad, a game about caring for and healing big incredible Monsters in a miyazaki/Journey inspired world. I'm doing an AMA and showing off the art we have on twitter, here's the link if you're interested!
https://twitter.com/SandyPugGames/status/1258046891289391104

This looks delightful, the art looks great, and interested to see more in the future!

Really solid concept.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lords of Vegas is one of my favorites, but 300 dollars for the cool version seems a bit much. Wonder what the price would have been on a cardboard version?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Apparently there's been some drama with Dispel Dice: https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/gffbbh/dice_collecting_dispel_dice_and_the_drama_that/

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So you're saying that instead of laboriously hand craft thousands of sets of dice they decided to lie and use a factory? I'm totally shocked :geno:

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

senrath posted:

So you're saying that instead of laboriously hand craft thousands of sets of dice they decided to lie and use a factory? I'm totally shocked :geno:

...yes, a lot of people assumed they would be doing that. If you actually read the thing, the interesting part is that they may have conned the factory out of R&D costs, and then run away when the process was figured out.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I had read it, it just seemed more "placed orders and ran out of money because of standard KS stupidity so ghosted the factory and tried to salvage their KS" rather than "deliberately scammed a factory out of R&D costs" to me when I did. I will admit to only reading the summary provided, not the Icedice statement itself.

Edit: Dispel Dice has posted a rebuttal of the Icedice statement. Not sure I believe them, given they were promising handmade dice but still looking to source from a factory.

senrath fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 9, 2020

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
The drama is one thing, but those dice are unreadable! They photograph them face-on, and the 20-face is visible in most of the pics (even that is tough to make out in a couple), but the adjacent faces are almost uniformly unreadable. But you are usually not looking at a die face-on as you roll it across the table.

I guess if you want some pretty geek-themed decor, these are cool enough, but they must be completely useless for actual use. If you have to get up from your seat and lean over close to see what the d20 says, that's not a good die for actual use! And if it's just for decor and not for actual use, who cares about the sharp corners?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, when it was first posted back when it was live the two main reactions were "There's no way they're going to hand make all those dice" and "How the gently caress are you supposed to read them?"

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Whoever laughed at me when I said i'd only follow a couple of projects was completely right. At least I held out for a couple of weeks?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/detestablegames/dodos-riding-dinos/description This could be a good family/casual game. The models look really fun to paint as well

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

CODChimera posted:

Whoever laughed at me when I said i'd only follow a couple of projects was completely right. At least I held out for a couple of weeks?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/detestablegames/dodos-riding-dinos/description This could be a good family/casual game. The models look really fun to paint as well

Those models are adorable.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

senrath posted:

Edit: Dispel Dice has posted a rebuttal of the Icedice statement. Not sure I believe them, given they were promising handmade dice but still looking to source from a factory.

They promised "hand poured" dice, but iirc they were sourcing factories to help produce the quantity that they'd need to deliver. I remember them mentioning one of the factories would be one experienced in making jewelry, so either the Ice Dice company was paying close attention to those early kickstarter notes or their stories somewhat line up. But Dispel Dice were trying to frame their dice as hand-crafted boutique dice, too.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

“Hand poured” means absolutely nothing. If I’m working the mold machine, it isn’t completely robotic, there are human steps to the process and can thus be labeled as “hand poured”

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Right, and that's the issue. Machinery was always going to be involved, and I recall them saying that they were always going to use one factory and had to source two more, but they were always trying to frame it as smaller and more personal than it was. I think they said the numbers might be hand painted (not sure how or to what level) but there was always deceptive language to the marketing of their dice production.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
Dispel's marketing of their dice production as being boutique and handcrafted, or at least boutique-adjacent and handcrafted-adjacent, is pretty deceptive and their kickstarter was pretty clearly either a scam or on a path to overpromising-related failure.

With that said... a factory was willing to do a bunch of expensive R&D work and retooling for a client in a different country who they'd never worked for before? And then, because they were just so trusting, they didn't even ask for payment upfront for this R&D and retooling? As if that happened.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Gonna kickstart gluten-free no-fat dice.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hostile V posted:

Gonna kickstart gluten-free no-fat dice.
Don't forget no GMOs!!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

FMguru posted:

Don't forget no GMOs!!
:hmmyes: [writes that down]

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Do your dice connect to an app?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

GrandpaPants posted:

Do your dice connect to an app?

I know this sounds like a gimmick but I would ironically love being able to roll dice on my desk and display the results online right now.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I feel like at least one kickstarter has done that already, along with LED dice and dice that you can play music from.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Pretty sure more than one has, yeah.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hello friends

Have you ever looked at your D20 and wished it was twice as powerful? Well introducing the D40.

Only $19.99 per die on Kickstarter now.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Infinitum posted:

Hello friends

Have you ever looked at your D20 and wished it was twice as powerful? Well introducing the D40.

Only $19.99 per die on Kickstarter now.

Isn't this just the terrible shot put die sphere?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Back my new hypoallergenic artisanal upcycled organic dice

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maxstats/40-sided-spindown-dice-life-counters

I said it as a joke

It's literally $20 as well

:cripes:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
When're the deconstructed dice

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
An artisanal bowl containing 20 numbered hand-crafted tokens, and a 21st token with a custom logo to substitute for either the 20 or the 1!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Remote control d20 with wireless charging.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

App-linked die where you push a button on the app and they roll themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Weighted die.

Literally just die that weigh 100kg so you destroy your table trying to throw them