Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'll be your script editor, and I promise to be more like Robert Holmes or Terrance Dicks, instead of Eric Saward. :v:

You're hired.

There you go, BBC. CommonShore and Sydney Bottocks, presumably with help from a few other thread stalwarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’ve got lots of Who story ideas, most of them involve bringing back McGann.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

You all are the mindwiped doctor at different points in their timeline.

Sorry to break it to you.

"Planet of the Doctors"

EVERYONE is the Doctor!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’ll write a script about a race of extremely litigious aliens.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Jerusalem posted:

This is going over-the-top, but imagine if 35 years ago there was an episode of Doctor Who where suddenly we got a single shot of the TARDIS being red. Then for decades afterwards the TARDIS was constantly referred to as blue and people pointed out how blue it was and it's blueness kept getting referenced and pointed out, and also the writer of the 35-year-old scene was on record as saying,"Oh I had an idea for that but the showrunner didn't like it so we never did it." .... and then the Master shows up and goes,"Actually the TARDIS is red and always has been!" and the Doctor replies,"Well drat I guess you've convinced me" and then we don't get a new episode for 2 years.
There are four lights!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CommonShore posted:

You're hired.

There you go, BBC. CommonShore and Sydney Bottocks, presumably with help from a few other thread stalwarts.

You know how Moffat started off just writing those weird but effective horror stories under RTD's tenure?

I'm just going to do that, but nobody will like me enough behind the scenes to make me showrunner.

EDIT: I guarantee I'll try to write a good horror story starring the Cybermen at some point, but I can't guarantee it'll be our World Enough and Time and not our Closing Time.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 5, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: I guarantee I'll try to write a good horror story starring the Cybermen at some point, but I can't guarantee it'll be our World Enough and Time and not our Closing Time.

You can steal my idea about a bunch of salvaged old-model Cybermen parts self-assembling into Cyber-Control and slowly cobbling together parts of tech along with organic parts from the rising body count to produce steadily more advanced proto-Cybermen in a base under siege... from within! story.

I call it "Thank you Jerusalem but we've had this idea pitched like 400 times in the last 4 years"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

You can steal my idea about a bunch of salvaged old-model Cybermen parts self-assembling into Cyber-Control and slowly cobbling together parts of tech along with organic parts from the rising body count to produce steadily more advanced proto-Cybermen in a base under siege... from within! story.

I call it "Thank you Jerusalem but we've had this idea pitched like 400 times in the last 4 years"

Isn’t that kind of Nightmare in Silver?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Isn’t that kind of Nightmare in Silver?

No no, you're thinking of,"What if Cybermen... but the Doctor!?! Also a precocious child grates on everybody's nerves" which I've only pitched 60-70 times.

Wait till you hear about my multi-Doctor story ideas! Here's a teaser: they have to fight Daleks.

Edit: Just got a phonecall from Nicholas Briggs warning me to stay the gently caress away from his turf :ohdear:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cybermen should never be used again except for body horror stories. They're really lame when their primary function is as a militant enemy bith bombs and splosions. They end up just being dollar store daleks. I guess World Enough and Time used them in a kind of force of nature role in that whole relativistic finger trap setup (which I totally love).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

As script editor, my edict for Cybermen stories will be "They have to be at least as good as The Invasion"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
As someone who's fine with bad as long as it's not boringly bad, I feel like the main rule for a Cyberman story should be 'you must be able to explain why this is specifically the Cybermen and not just a Dalek story'.

Nightmare in Silver isn't a great story, but I'll give it credit that it at least had a story pitch that only works for the Cybermen.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Both of the Capaldi Cybermen stories made really good use of them, I thought. Giving them rocket boots is dumb (it should be their numbers, single-mindedness, and inevitability that's terrifying, not their weaponry), but Death in Heaven wrung a lot of horror out of the conversion process, and World Enough and Time did the same with Bill. And the idea of Cybermen as the inherent endpoint of human evolution is a particularly chilling one.

It's so weird that Chibnall went back to the Cybermen/Master well a third time, especially with how bad his story looks in comparison.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Rochallor posted:

It's so weird that Chibnall went back to the Cybermen/Master well a third time, especially with how bad his story looks in comparison.

I've said it before, but I think it's that the Cybermen and the Master act as a really natural complement to each other. The Master gives the Cybermen an emotive, charismatic face that they otherwise don't have, and the Cybermen give the Master a means of threat that he otherwise has to reach for.

Combine with that the fact that the Cybermen are essentially the antithesis of what the Doctor loves about humans while still technically being human, and that the Master loves loving with the Doctor in ways both very big and very small, and they make for a very strong pairing, immediately covering for each other's weaknesses and difficulties in writing them.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
This is where I'd joke "Happy Revenge of the Fifth," but Five was never a vengeful Doctor...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

This is where I'd joke "Happy Revenge of the Fifth," but Five was never a vengeful Doctor...

No, there was no malice in his heart, only joy. Case in point:

See, always looking on the bright side of life! :)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Needs to be a Cyberman story that takes place after Cyber Control has been defeated, examining the psychological ramifications of the converted-but-free-from-the-hivemind.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TinTower posted:

Needs to be a Cyberman story that takes place after Cyber Control has been defeated, examining the psychological ramifications of the converted-but-free-from-the-hivemind.

I have an idea about that for a story.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cleretic posted:

As someone who's fine with bad as long as it's not boringly bad, I feel like the main rule for a Cyberman story should be 'you must be able to explain why this is specifically the Cybermen and not just a Dalek story'.

And in the same respect the Sontarans must not be used as 3rd tier Daleks.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
All this talk really makes me wish my DM would break out the Doctor Who RPG again.

His method was a lot of fun - four players, but each player got a turn playing a different regeneration of the same Time Lord (the Journeyman) and the other three played their companions.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I think treating the cybermen as this monster with a ton of lore but that *also* has to follow specific parameters of horror makes it basically impossible to meet fans expectations. I think generally ignoring the huge lore and just sort of focusing on small-scale stories with clear takes and allegories is better.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

CommonShore posted:

The Sontarans differ from the Daleks in that, while they both view other races as inferior, the Daleks have basically been established as "space Nazis" who are obsessed with racial purity. While the Sontarans are more the equivalent of your old-time colonial powers, locked in a seemingly eternal war with a rival power and focused on conquest for the glory of their empire (you could also make a parallel between the Sontarans/Rutans and the US/Soviets during the Cold War, except they didn't bother with proxy wars and just went straight for direct conflict instead).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TinTower posted:

Rusty, But He's A Cyberman Now

(We can use this as a pilot for a Handles The Cyberhead spinoff series)

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

CommonShore posted:

My key Sontaran rule would be "be like Linx, not Strax". I suppose emulating Strax in his first appearance is fine, but nothing beyond that.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Burkion posted:

Turns out every single Companion has been the Doctor all along.

except for the Brigadier

Splendid chaps, all of us.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The Sontarans differ from the Daleks in that, while they both view other races as inferior, the Daleks have basically been established as "space Nazis" who are obsessed with racial purity. While the Sontarans are more the equivalent of your old-time colonial powers, locked in a seemingly eternal war with a rival power and focused on conquest for the glory of their empire (you could also make a parallel between the Sontarans/Rutans and the US/Soviets during the Cold War, except they didn't bother with proxy wars and just went straight for direct conflict instead).

They're space Vikings with guns. And potato heads.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

BBC News keeps mentioning the ‘government’s chief scientific advisor’ and I keep expecting to see Pertwee.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

BBC News keeps mentioning the ‘government’s chief scientific advisor’ and I keep expecting to see Pertwee.

That would only make sense if they were constantly attempting to warn of some preventable catastrophe but being ignored by egomaniacs who are convinced they are righ.... oh God :gonk:

Edit: This makes me think of the Brigadier - about as stuffy and establishment as they come - in The Green Death, being told about meat-free alternatives and renewable energy, and being initially skeptical but open to the possibility and interested in the potential. Good ol' Brig :shobon:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1258034417383112706

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Carrot juice, carrot juice, carrot juice...!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Been playing No Man's Sky, and while doing exploration things and grinding up resources in the game, I've been alternating between listening to the Hitchhiker's Guide radio series and the BBC Audio releases of the missing DW stories. Makes for a quite chill and relaxing evening. :)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Shiftypenguin posted:

"Planet of the Doctors"

EVERYONE is the Doctor!

I liked The Leisure Hive too.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Too many writers missing Holmes' joke in The Time Warrior: have a clone species, but only ever show one of them.

And the secondary joke of a bunch of identical clone warriors who have radically different personalities and kind of can't stand each other.

What I really want to see is a Master/Ice Warrior story. But the "stories we'd like to see" discussion also made me realize than when we finally got the Master and Davros in the same episode, they essentially had nothing to do with one another.

Hasn't Big Finish done at least one "everyone is the Doctor" story already?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lawrence Miles pulled a fun one in Interference where every member of a circus/freak show was the same Time Lord.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Narsham posted:

Too many writers missing Holmes' joke in The Time Warrior: have a clone species, but only ever show one of them.

And the secondary joke of a bunch of identical clone warriors who have radically different personalities and kind of can't stand each other.

What I really want to see is a Master/Ice Warrior story. But the "stories we'd like to see" discussion also made me realize than when we finally got the Master and Davros in the same episode, they essentially had nothing to do with one another.

Hasn't Big Finish done at least one "everyone is the Doctor" story already?

Not the Doctor, but Drax, in the Fourth Doctor story "The Trouble with Drax"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just listened to Minuet in Hell tonight and :chloe:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I just listened to Minuet in Hell tonight and :chloe:

It's just such a... baffling story. What the gently caress were they thinking?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

It's just such a... baffling story. What the gently caress were they thinking?

It's as if they had 4 different scripts and they mashed them all together without any thought for coherence, filled every remaining plot hole with the worst cliche they could find, and then sprinked in slaves and rape just for funzies.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Naming a purported state Malebolgia wouldn’t get past the first 3 seconds of someone uttering it in the first meeting to discuss what we should name our new state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

Naming a purported state Malebolgia wouldn’t get past the first 3 seconds of someone uttering it in the first meeting to discuss what we should name our new state.

Because they'd approve it in two?