Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

gay picnic defence posted:

One thing I'm not sure about is how unemployment was measured in the depression era vs now.

Like back then you either had a full time job or you didn't have a job. Casual work, gig economy stuff, contracting and so on wasn't really a thing then.

The reason we like to measure unemployment is that historically it's been a useful measure of the health of an economy, however if it isn't picking up those casual/gig workers etc then it's definitely understating the true economic effect the virus is having on the workforce.

tramps have always been a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is there one with the UK on it?

there’s a bigger one

but it looks like it left Sweden and the UK out so that it would look like the US was the only bad country. very unfair

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

you're in the NYC megaarea, right? how's the case load nowadays now that NYC is tapering off?

Long Island, within commuting distance to Manhattan proper.

The overall census is surprisingly low, less than half of what it was when I was working days a month ago. Number of COVID cases went from 90%+ to probably 10-20% tops.

The thinking is A) COVID already spread like wildfire through those most at risk so the spike is over, B) social distancing is successfully lowering the incidence of new cases, and C) people with non-COVID chronic concerns are too scared to come to the ED, so fewer admissions, so lower census.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

What is this from?

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

What is this from?

being a demon cracker nation

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

MadJackal posted:

Want some COVID hot goss straight from the ICU?

I talked to an ICU PA tonight, and there's a theory going around that the reason COVID patients on ventilators are dying at a documented 80%+ rate might be because the vents are possibly initiating or worsening cytokine storms. Unlike the usual ARDS where you can use high pressure to push back against the transudate in the alveoli, for COVID there's no spill over, instead it's interstitial edema causing swelling and decreased blood perfusion. So the V/Q mismatch is more Q than V, so venting patients with crazy high pressures does dick all since there's no blood around to actually carry the O2 to tissues, and all that pressure from the vent causes further injury and worsening of outcomes. Oops!

I don't even want to think of the number of patients we sent to get vented early because that's the standard of care for ARDS.

My chief resident buddy was running a COVID vent farm a couple weeks back and he said he was "running a mortuary." Yep.

i dont know about any of those fancy science terms but i culd tell u it was interstitial edema u can fucken feel it

like a guy sitting on ur chest w/no lung garbage

it is disconcerting &very def not the flu

on the whole not recommended when u have a cave to shelter in

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MadJackal posted:

I talked to an ICU PA tonight, and there's a theory going around that the reason COVID patients on ventilators are dying at a documented 80%+ rate might be because the vents are possibly initiating or worsening cytokine storms. Unlike the usual ARDS where you can use high pressure to push back against the transudate in the alveoli, for COVID there's no spill over, instead it's interstitial edema causing swelling and decreased blood perfusion. So the V/Q mismatch is more Q than V, so venting patients with crazy high pressures does dick all since there's no blood around to actually carry the O2 to tissues, and all that pressure from the vent causes further injury and worsening of outcomes. Oops!

I don't even want to think of the number of patients we sent to get vented early because that's the standard of care for ARDS.

My chief resident buddy was running a COVID vent farm a couple weeks back and he said he was "running a mortuary." Yep.

yeah but standard ARDS venting is low TV, high respirations

you specifically try to avoid barotrauma

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Google Butt posted:

I'm a stomach sleeper natural, owned ards

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

MadJackal posted:

so trump used the defense production act to force companies to build murder machines. cool.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

very soon we'll be exporting these murder machines to other countries :smugdon:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

eric ciaramella posted:

so trump used the defense production act to force companies to build murder machines. cool.

I mean, that’s kind of the original point of the act anyways I think

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah but standard ARDS venting is low TV, high respirations

you specifically try to avoid barotrauma

Huh. So the PEEP settings for ventilated ARDS patients are closer to what you'd see on, say, BIPAP rather than higher?

(I think I blocked out my month of ICU / vent settings knowledge)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

eric ciaramella posted:

very soon we'll be exporting these murder machines to other countries :smugdon:

it’ll go well with the miracle cure fish tank cleaner and body bags

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Flesh Forge posted:

Interstitial Edema is a pretty good forum name
COVID vent farm

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

rip to your spine

I've been a stomach sleeper all my life and my spine is pretty hosed up

Apr 7, 2003

gay picnic defence posted:

One thing I'm not sure about is how unemployment was measured in the depression era vs now.

Like back then you either had a full time job or you didn't have a job. Casual work, gig economy stuff, contracting and so on wasn't really a thing then.

I hear there's a really good book about traveling gig workers set in the thirties that all the cool kids have been talking about. Name's right on the tip of my tongue!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

eric ciaramella posted:

lol appropriate. it is basically a wartime power and normal "defense" spending is for murder machines

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Flesh Forge posted:

Interstitial Edema is a pretty good forum name

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

I don't understand how anybody could take Plandemic seriously after the parts where the lady says sea water has healing properties and wearing a mask activates dormant flu cells inside your body.

Believing in conspiracy theories is a cognitive defect of a second-rate mind. Rather than admit honest ignorance and put the hard work into learning about something complicated and important, lots of folks would rather watch a wacky 10 minute YouTube video that exposes the SECRETS hidden from the SHEEPLE so that they get to feel smart and informed without putting in any of the work of actually educating themselves

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Zeno-25 posted:

Believing in conspiracy theories is a cognitive defect of a second-rate mind. Rather than admit honest ignorance and put the hard work into learning about something complicated and important, lots of folks would rather watch a wacky 10 minute YouTube video that exposes the SECRETS hidden from the SHEEPLE so that they get to feel smart and informed without putting in any of the work of actually educating themselves

Epstein really didn't kill himself though and lol if anyone thinks he did

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/toddstarnes/status/1258870865481121793
https://twitter.com/toddstarnes/status/1258924124866568194
could there be problem with my ghoulish philosophy? no, it's the people of america who are wrong.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MadJackal posted:

Huh. So the PEEP settings for ventilated ARDS patients are closer to what you'd see on, say, BIPAP rather than higher?

(I think I blocked out my month of ICU / vent settings knowledge)

yeah i dont know wtf that pa was talking about

source: im probably a future pulm crit care PA since that's what ive enjoyed the most

Apr 7, 2003

I need to use hand sanitizer at the store. Truly, the American People have sacrificed their freedom.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

MadJackal posted:

On another note, why on earth is Canada struggling to get this under control?

We're Asian nations reporting quite early on that ventilators were doing more harm than good in many of their patients?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spergin Morlock posted:

Epstein really didn't kill himself though and lol if anyone thinks he did

i seriously doubt there's anyone at all who believes he did

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MadJackal posted:

Why not use negative pressure ventilation then? Not full on iron lung since presumably not many still exist but you can manufacture them fairly easily

Apr 7, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

Why not use negative pressure ventilation then? Not full on iron lung since presumably not many still exist but you can manufacture them fairly easily

We can't even manufacture paper masks

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Lolie posted:

We're Asian nations reporting quite early on that ventilators were doing more harm than good in many of their patients?

entirely without backup or verification but I feel like I heard that at some point months ago

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s May 9 I have no idea how to get a non home made mask or get a covid rest

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

when stores are closed on sundays that's also impinging my freedoms OPEN UP

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lol thinking about when a couple guys started 3d printing a really expensive ventilator part for a few bucks apiece and the manufacturer sued them

Spergin Morlock has issued a correction as of 05:07 on May 9, 2020

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

because that would collapse the alveoli and basically kill the patient immediately

Apr 7, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol thinking about when a couple guys started 3d printing a really expensive ventilator part for a few bucks apiece and the manufacturer sure them

haha lmao

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Google Butt posted:

Is this real

yes

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

rip to your spine

yeah lmao my spine hurts so much

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

pancake rabbit posted:

being a demon cracker nation

Apr 7, 2003

No one's friends get massive contracts to flip patients over

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

FizFashizzle posted:

because that would collapse the alveoli and basically kill the patient immediately

but can we do it?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

eric ciaramella posted:

when stores are closed on sundays that's also impinging my freedoms OPEN UP

lol people should start picketing Chick-fil-A on Sundays. get the media to show up and demand they open on Sundays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/toddstarnes/status/1258870865481121793
https://twitter.com/toddstarnes/status/1258924124866568194
could there be problem with my ghoulish philosophy? no, it's the people of america who are wrong.

I can clearly picture this loser bumbling around the store, going the wrong way down aisles, loudly complaining about having to use hand sanitizer, and then indignantly huffing his way out when the poor staff has to keep reminding him to follow the basic and common sense rules.