Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I've now conquered World 7 of SMB3, and it was brutal. I think I started the world with 20-some lives, and now I only have 4. Two of my P-Wings are gone so far, one of which I had to use on Ludwig, since his stutter attack was frustrating me (and I couldn't bear the thought of getting a game over and starting the world over).

But beyond being downright hard, I forgot how experimental some of the levels were. For example, there was a level in World 6 (?) that basically just kept looping you through the same couple rooms, and you had to figure out that you could fly up through a particular hole in the ceiling (which was scroll-locked to hide the fact that it went up) while holding a Koopa shell to kill some enemies.

And one of the castles in World 7 appeared to be completely empty, with no enemies where there should be enemies (which was honestly pretty cool). After going past the empty screens, the level appeared to lead to a pipe that you couldn't enter, leaving you unable for finish the level. You actually had go back to the beginning of the level and find a single P-Switch hidden in a room full of destructible blocks to make a hidden door appear. The level has more tricks after that, but I won't spoil them.

I've never played the Lost Levels, but I've heard that they take stuff like this up to 11. If that's the case, I'm kind of glad we got the SMB2 that we did. I'm finding SMB3 to be difficult enough already!

With only a handful of lives left, I'm not sure how World 8 is going to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
SMB3 strikes me as one of the best games to take Mario Maker inspiration from; most of its levels are fairly short (notably lacking checkpoints) and based around a particular theme and/or gimmick.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

DorianGravy posted:

I've never played the Lost Levels, but I've heard that they take stuff like this up to 11. If that's the case, I'm kind of glad we got the SMB2 that we did. I'm finding SMB3 to be difficult enough already!
Lost Levels has a different brand of difficulty that's more easily described by words like "dick move" and "rear end in a top hat design"

it does have some cool levels that are hard in an interesting way, but it has a lot of levels that are basically just frustrating. i'm pretty sure it even has some mario maker patented troll hidden blocks over jumps.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Amppelix posted:

Lost Levels has a different brand of difficulty that's more easily described by words like "dick move" and "rear end in a top hat design"

it does have some cool levels that are hard in an interesting way, but it has a lot of levels that are basically just frustrating. i'm pretty sure it even has some mario maker patented troll hidden blocks over jumps.

The one thing that game had, which you can't imitate with Mario Maker is that the screen couldn't scroll backwards, so you would just get stuck in some sections, forced to wait out the timer until you died. :getin:

I do agree that SMB3 is the game with the tidiest level design, and I feel massively compelled to imitate it's style for that reason alone. That being said, it's deceptively difficult to actually pull off.

Has anybody tried their hand at a zelda level, yet? Link has frustratingly many skills. My attempt to make a level for him basically almost immediately turned into a search for the biggest exploits instead. :sigh:

And More fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 7, 2020

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Amppelix posted:

Let's not forget the 2 warp zones that send you backwards.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

Let's not forget the 2 warp zones that send you backwards.

Hey now, at least they gave you the option of suicide!

ugottagroove
Sep 21, 2003

Crazy Taxi?
Watching Jeff Gerstmann play through Super Mario Bros Special has made me wonder, has anyone made a SMB Special recreation world yet?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

No need for that when there's this https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3281/

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
It's a real Super Mario Run in:

Coin Glint Sprint
CC5-V8Y-GGF

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

And More posted:

Has anybody tried their hand at a zelda level, yet? Link has frustratingly many skills. My attempt to make a level for him basically almost immediately turned into a search for the biggest exploits instead. :sigh:

I tried to, but another huge flaw with it is that taking any damage causes you to lose all of those abilities rendering half my stage ideas completely unbeatable in some cases. Providing constant swords makes it too easy, and backtracking to a spawn point can get too tedious. I can maybe see revolving a boss fight around it, but not an entire level.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Amppelix posted:

The Lost Levels is basically the first romhack.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ugottagroove posted:

Watching Jeff Gerstmann play through Super Mario Bros Special has made me wonder, has anyone made a SMB Special recreation world yet?

I played through one in Mario Maker 1. The level design combined with Mario Maker’s smooth physics made it pretty dull overall though.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Finished two more levels recently! These are part of the "bonus" stages that will fit into the exiting eight SMV worlds. These should still play like traditional levels, but I'm focusing on using some new power-ups and mechanics. Since these are bonus levels, the difficulty may not match to the related world - be warned!

Fungal Fens
MRR-YX2-WDF

Boomerangs are the name of the game here. Still struggling a bit with the 2D World tool kit but I like the flow!

Mechanized Molehill
TJD-G29-1WF

I wanted to have a level where the SMB2 Mushroom gave you some advantages, but can still be finished without it. Keep an eye out for secrets you can access with it!

Thanks for the feedback on the previous 32 levels also, glad to see people are managing to finish them all. Here's aiming for 40 total!

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

DarkLich posted:

Finished two more levels recently! These are part of the "bonus" stages that will fit into the exiting eight SMV worlds. These should still play like traditional levels, but I'm focusing on using some new power-ups and mechanics. Since these are bonus levels, the difficulty may not match to the related world - be warned!

Fungal Fens
MRR-YX2-WDF

Boomerangs are the name of the game here. Still struggling a bit with the 2D World tool kit but I like the flow!

Mechanized Molehill
TJD-G29-1WF

I wanted to have a level where the SMB2 Mushroom gave you some advantages, but can still be finished without it. Keep an eye out for secrets you can access with it!

Thanks for the feedback on the previous 32 levels also, glad to see people are managing to finish them all. Here's aiming for 40 total!

Hmm, I'm having getting into the groove of the first one. You said that the boomerang was important, but I actually never picked one up. The only time I saw one, I accidentally sent the powerup straight down into the water. Maybe make the powerups more plentiful, or try non-progressive powerups since it's a special level anyway?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PDT/8 PM EDT

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

1. Cliff Climbers
By: ThisIsACoolGuy FDT-J2L-YWF

2. Firebar Frenzy
By: Orange Crush Rush D4F-8V7-C2H

3. Sinister Skyway
By: Tonberi 50W-MDT-JQG

4. Elec Man
By: John Wick of Dogs FLL-3V2-HRG

5. Coin Glint Sprint
By: Suspicious Cook CC5-V8Y-GGF

6. The Flybrary
By: Phantasium SL5-60T-XDF

7. Fiendish Fleet Above the Forest:
By: And More MT6-Q3Y-6JF

8. floatly like a cloud
By: Mooseontheloose 3MP-3NS-FFG

9. Spike Ball Sprint
By: Darth Nat 9J0-J14-XHF

10. Fiery Fortress
By: SilverSupernova BF2-44V-8VF

11. Fungal Fens
By: DarkLich MRR-YX2-WDF

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tried my hand at a gimmick/puzzle that I ran across in endless roulette and figured I could make a more fun version of it...not sure if I succeeded but check it out.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Wasn't Super Mario Bros. 2 received poorly in Japan?

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Darth Nat posted:

Iggy's Wild Ride
RTH-50F-JJG
I feel like this is the first instance I have encountered of the skull-coasters stopping well before the next platform. I managed to get to the first flag without dying, but the entire thing was rife with anxiety due to having to abandon the skulls early. Good poo poo.

dog nougat posted:

Ghosts in Galoomba Gardens
F2V-CFJ-95G[/b]
This one isn't working for me, friend.

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

K00-WN6-7MF - Frozen Mountain Descent Go down the mountain in this traditional platforming stage. Use the fire flower to pass the ice obstacles, and then jump on some falling platforms to reach the goal at the bottom!

M31-C2J-FNG - Wendy's Wonderful Windtunnel Use the super acorn to make it through this fast autoscroller, featuring Wendy making noise forever, yay!

First course should be normal difficulty, second expert difficulty, please enjoy!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Apparently, yes, which is why they put out a completely different game for the rest of the world

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

punk rebel ecks posted:

When you say “Super Mario Bros. 2”, do you mean Super Mario Bros. 2 “The Lost Levels”, or Doki Doki Panic, or Super Mario Bros. 2 ‘USA’?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Darth Nat posted:

Spike balls are basically my favorite level element, so I made a level all about them. Not sure the final section turned out as well as I hoped, though.

Spike Ball Sprint
9J0-J14-XHF

As a fellow fan of Spike I greatly enjoyed this level, it presents a fun handful of obstacles that ramp smartly and the final run through the spike tunnel was cool. Good poo poo

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're going live!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Amppelix posted:

Apparently, yes, which is why they put out a completely different game for the rest of the world

Wouldn't surprise me. The original SMB is kinda notable among NES games for the most part not having unfair levels of difficulty, while The Lost Levels kicks it into overdrive. The sequels to games being basically super-hard romhacks of the first was kind of the normal thing then.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SMB2 difficulty curve is the same as SMB1s, it just continues from the starting point of being as hard as 8-4

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

In Training posted:

Tried my hand at a gimmick/puzzle that I ran across in endless roulette and figured I could make a more fun version of it...not sure if I succeeded but check it out.

I admit that I might just be a baby that sucks at video games, but the first jump from the annoying claw thing over the piledriver is impossible for me. It either wakes up while I'm holding it waiting for the piledriver to go back down or I jump immediately upon it grabbing me and I miss the jump. I've been doing this for like 20 minutes.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And here's tonight's level list and VOD. Thanks to everyone who joined us tonight!

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/615346602

1. Cliff Climbers 00:13:45
By: ThisIsACoolGuy FDT-J2L-YWF

2. Firebar Frenzy 00:21:15
By: Orange Crush Rush D4F-8V7-C2H

3. Sinister Skyway
By: Tonberi 50W-MDT-JQG

4. Elec Man 00:55:45
By: John Wick of Dogs FLL-3V2-HRG

5. Coin Glint Sprint 01:05:00
By: Suspicious Cook CC5-V8Y-GGF

6. The Flybrary 01:16:00
By: Phantasium SL5-60T-XDF

7. Fiendish Fleet Above the Forest: 01:24:15
By: And More MT6-Q3Y-6JF

8. floatly like a cloud 01:37:00
By: Mooseontheloose 3MP-3NS-FFG

9. Spike Ball Sprint 02:12:45

10. Fiery Fortress 02:32:15
By: SilverSupernova BF2-44V-8VF

11. Fungal Fens 02:47:00
By: DarkLich MRR-YX2-WDF

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I wish they would bring the ORB as an object.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Matlack Radio posted:

I feel like this is the first instance I have encountered of the skull-coasters stopping well before the next platform. I managed to get to the first flag without dying, but the entire thing was rife with anxiety due to having to abandon the skulls early. Good poo poo.

I'm glad you liked it!

In Training posted:

As a fellow fan of Spike I greatly enjoyed this level, it presents a fun handful of obstacles that ramp smartly and the final run through the spike tunnel was cool. Good poo poo

Thanks! Always good to hear praise from fellow Spike fans.

OneMoreTime posted:

9. Spike Ball Sprint 02:12:45

I noticed you mentioned in the stream the pipe at the spike ball bouncing between the trampolines. I had to actually add that to spit out the spike ball because for reasons I could not figure out, if I just put a spike ball between the trampolines it would randomly explode before you reach that part of the level.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

OneMoreTime posted:

And here's tonight's level list and VOD. Thanks to everyone who joined us tonight!

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/615346602

Thanks again for playing my level!

I just finished SMB3 for the first time in ages! World 8 was rough (especially 8-2, which I found to be not fun at all), but I made it! World 8 was actually a little shorter than I expected, perhaps because I imagined all sort of dangers lurking in the dark overworld map. Bowser's castle wittled down my lives, and those lasers definitely surprised me!

Looking at a map now, I'm surprised to find that there are two versions of the Bowser boss fight, depending on which route you take through the castle. That's pretty cool!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

DorianGravy posted:

Thanks again for playing my level!

I just finished SMB3 for the first time in ages! World 8 was rough (especially 8-2, which I found to be not fun at all), but I made it! World 8 was actually a little shorter than I expected, perhaps because I imagined all sort of dangers lurking in the dark overworld map. Bowser's castle wittled down my lives, and those lasers definitely surprised me!

The note block jump at the end of 8-1 was my biggest problem spot in all of Mario 3 as a kid, but never thought 8-2 was bad. There's the secret route from falling down one of the quicksand pits that IIRC bypasses the entire angry sun part, though.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

The note block jump at the end of 8-1 was my biggest problem spot in all of Mario 3 as a kid, but never thought 8-2 was bad. There's the secret route from falling down one of the quicksand pits that IIRC bypasses the entire angry sun part, though.

Yeah, I wondered about that quicksand and found out it was a secret afterwards. That would have saved me some trouble. As for that note block jump in 8-1, I also had trouble with it, and I ended up dying there several times. I'm normally fine with note blocks. Why was that one so tough?

I've got to say: I prefer the earlier parts of SMB3 better. Worlds 1-4, as well as 6, were all great. Worlds 7 and 8 had some inventive stuff, but I usually like my Mario games to be fairly low-stress, and there's definitely some tricky parts late in the game. Oh well, it was still fun.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Rollersnake posted:

8-1 is a P-Wing level for me. I’ll usually got through with warps. Beat World 1 & 2, warp to World 5 and grab a P-Wing from the wandering Hammer Brother, then warp to World 8. P-Wing on 8-1 and the mini airship level, Cloud past the fortress.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

DalaranJ posted:

When you say “Super Mario Bros. 2”, do you mean Super Mario Bros. 2 “The Lost Levels”, or Doki Doki Panic, or Super Mario Bros. 2 ‘USA’?

Lost Levels. The hard one.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

SMB2 difficulty curve is the same as SMB1s, it just continues from the starting point of being as hard as 8-4
It's not even so much that it's hard as that a lot of the difficulty revolves around the clunkiest platforming elements, most of which were significantly improved in later installments, i.e. single-width platforms with the crappy air control, low-height enemy bounces, the awful spring bounce physics, wind, and the lack of backscroll.

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!
Thanks to everyone who played my level back there. Sounds like (or looks like, in the case of OMT) it landed about where I was hoping.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Here's my big project :shobon:

Played through this over the past week or so and wrote down whatever came to mind after each level:

Spike top skys
Solid sky level - some of the jumps seemed a bit far for a (regular) introductory level, but perhaps it’ll set the tone for the difficulty. I guess I’ll see.

--

Cloudy climb
Scrolling speed was decent - I didn’t feel too far ahead most of the time. Still slower than I’d like to go which is pretty common for autoscrollers. I liked it

--

Roy’s mania mine
The Roy fight at the end felt a little odd - it didn’t really work with the level pacing/theme. The squirrel areas were fun to glide through

--

Bonus: rocket ride
The coins really made it feel like a bonus stage, though it was a bit deadlier than most regular Mario bonus stage. Had a hard time initially dealing with the twisters, but it turns out being patient works well.

--

Wound up Wendy
It felt like two different levels, but I liked both of them.

--

Banshee bog
Dark areas still made me slow down so it was tricky to run through, but I don’t think any of the jumps were blind. Nice use of light switches.

--

Wiggler woods
Nice and calm. The spike balls felt a little bit out of place as an obstacle but I can’t really think of a better replacement. Definitely better than using saws or munchers.

--

Mario’s treetop trouble
Have definitely played this one before - still good! The saws were paced pretty well, gave a sense of urgency but weren’t overwhelmingly fast

--

Jungle crawl
I remember grinding the WR on this one! Still like your use of the clear pipes as a timing mechanism.

--

Lava Piranha's Inferno Isle
The level theme gave me naval piranha vibes. Surprised you didn’t have to kill the large piranha for the key - opens up a speedier path at least!

--

Tomb of lau cleer
The zoom in on the burial chamber was nicely done, and the escape sequence was a good type of panic. Was this a revision of an older level? I feel I’ve played the first bit before, but I might just be making stuff up.

--

Cliff climbers
You’ve done a pretty good job of consistently rewarding weird areas so I was surprised when I didn’t get anything for jumping above the entrance pipe inside the sub world. Good level.

--

Windswept wasteland
I think it has been a long time since I’ve played a wind level - the physics felt super weird to me. Quite liked the see saw vine style, it worked well.

--

Disco desert
Well paced. Didn’t feel like I was waiting too long for anything, which is often a problem with these blocks.

--

Mole patrol castle
Those opening few jumps felt like a huge spike in difficulty compared to everything else so far. I guess I’ll have to see how worlds 4+ pan out. The save point at the red coins was spaced a little weird since you might not see it before going in door 2, it was clear when going into door 3 though. Liked monty’s crown.

--

Green gardens
Felt nice and relaxed. Good scenery. This is one of the levels I would definitely play more for the WR if I could replay levels in super worlds. It just had that sort of feel to it.

--

Pipe plaza
Started to feel a bit long by the end - can’t remember if the level had a checkpoint, but I don’t remember getting one. Liked your pipe transitions.

--
Cannonball cliff
Lost my smb2 mushroom before the bonus area each time, whoops. Nice and quick, the fact that it’s still fun platforming with standard physics is cool.

--

Thin air dare
I took a break right after finishing this level and can’t remember much. Whoops. The propellor hat still has novelty for me and it was a nice section to use it in.

--

Lemmy’s molten mushroom base
Mechakoopas are pretty fun to dodge. Was a little surprised the red bullets could damage Lemmy. The boss fight setup was pretty nice since it was largely up to the player to not damage themselves. I was a bit surprised the fight was optional, but no complaints here.

--

The cold crossing
Pacing was a bit slow, but that’s generally the case with water levels. The alternate fire flower paths were nice to see. Thought about going back to the start one but decided against it.

--

Snowball blur
The jump right before the checkpoint seemed harder than the rest of the level. As usual, liked your use of bonus areas and rewards for keeping the smb2 mushroom. Happy to see an optional boss as well!

--

Blizzard bluffs
I had no idea the tornados would overpower the claws. I thought I was safe! Liked the level of challenge you ended up with.

--

Crushed ice cave
The snowball delivery system was nice. Don’t have too much else to add, was fun.

--

Ice over oven
This was the first time I’ve used a frog suit! Man I’m bad/impatient with it. The swimming section was a standard slow paced timing level without the frog suit, but I quite enjoyed it with it.

The conveyors/arrows making me jump over the 50 coin at the beginning was well done.

--

Bone chill blitz
Was a little worried with all of the white skull platforms, but aside from the first section it didn’t feel particularly slow. Felt like the direction was a bit vague at the very last jump - couldn’t tell if I had to keep up with the blue skulls or jump from the white ones. First attempt I ended up somewhere in the middle and just died.

--

The black tower
Not a fan of removing the music - I can understand why it fits, but it still felt a bit empty. The thwomps after the checkpoint ended up being blind thwomps since the camera doesn’t scroll up if you don’t jump.

Boss fight was a bit confusing since it appears to be a survival section but you have to run all the way to the right to spawn the bomb in the first place. If you just dodge things on the platforms no progress will be made.

--

Coral caverns
water section was a bit slow (as expected), but the cannon hat was much nicer to use than a fire flower.

--

Glitter rock gulch
Was a bit surprised about the boss fight - definitely didn’t expect one (despite the castle level icon). Not sure what your intended method of beating it was, staying on the left hand side made it pretty trivially easy except for the dash to the door under a ceiling full of beetles.

--

The demon lord’s castle
I remember playing this one. Still liked the idea of the on/off switch modifying the rooms to make some easier. The key death boss fakeout was good too.

--

Mask mayhem
Seemed like a good introduction to what all of the masks can do. Probably a bit hard for an introduction to the masks though, which I guess is why it’s in world 7.

--

The turtles of lava lake
Difficulty is definitely turning up! Had to go pretty fast in that second section. Boss fight felt pretty slow. I jumped to the second buzzy, hit the switch once, and then waited a while. Your auto-off mechanism doesn’t fire if you don’t keep going.

--

Ludwig’s lava lift lair
The auto scroll faked me out a bit since I forgot I had to scroll the screen left and right myself.

--

Cosmic crasher
I was just thinking to myself “1ups seem to have gotten rarer as the levels have gotten harder” and then the end area is filled with bonuses.

Unsure if I was a fan of the bloopers or not - the platforming challenge without them probably would’ve been about as fun. They definitely added some flavour (And a bunch of difficulty) though.

--

Meowser’s big battle
Remembered this one from level title alone - is still one of the only levels I’ve played where someone used meowser properly, running away from him is much better than standing and fighting. The end bit being optional too was very nice.

--

Starlight harbor
Really enjoyed this one. Wasn’t super fast paced, but was fairly precise. Wasn’t brave enough to jump out to the right at the end of the subworld, but I definitely saw track over there.

--

Starlight drifts
The first fireball felt a bit mean, but it was right before a power up so no big deal. Felt a bit slow, but I suspect that’s mostly due to trying to figure out what was going on combined with the ice.

--

Starlight falls
Got caught out by the autoscroller again - definitely thought I was ahead of the scroll but it turned out I needed to be moving sideways.

--

Starlight sands
Not particularly thrilled with the auto scroll and wind combination. The level still flowed nicely at least, and you definitely feel rewarded for keeping the boot.

--

Starlight carnival
Could’ve used more of that, it felt pretty good! Felt like a good “thanks for playing” level rather than closing with something like the perfect run. I liked it.

Overall:
I quite enjoyed your levels! There didn't seem to be a long term difficultly gradient, but I can safely say World 7 was the hardest. It feels most like the final world (whereas world 8 felt sorta bonus-y) so that seems appropriate to me. You consistently made good use of decorative pieces, and I could always expect a one up (or 10/30/50 coin) if I managed to jump up somewhere out of the way. Nicely done.

Super worlds definitely make it much harder to go for the WR on courses, but I guess it does make me play more levels than I normally do.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Well heck, glad you enjoyed it all for the most part, I really appreciate it! Not sure if it's in good taste to go through and respond to everything but your advice and critique all made sense to me and I think I could use a lot of it from speeding up sections a bit to signposting a bit better in levels like bonechill.

Thank you for playing dude, really!

Feb 2, 2005
Just spent a pleasant couple of hours playing your world, ThisIsACoolGuy. I don't have hyper detailed notes but I wanted to let you know I had fun! Meowsers Big Battle was the highlight for me.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

This was supposed to be 2-1, but it may end up promoted to 2-3 or 2-4.

On A Wing Lift And A Prayer
DMK-B02-BHG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!

tonberi posted:

634-PNP-68G - Super Totopi World

Ran through your super world (or at least, partially). Wrote down some quick thoughts after each level:

Mechakoopa mobilization
Definitely ended a little more intense than I assumed a first level would. The pipe going underground leading to the first bonus area was a nice touch. Seemed super difficult to get by the end section without taking damage, but the power ups made it simple enough to handle.

--

Terror of mechakoopazilla
Was a lot easier to get past the stack this time! Could not get that mole to fall down that pit, had to settle for the bonus 1ups at the end instead.

--

Magic Monty ride
Remounting Monty after the spring section was rough, but I did manage to get through the key door eventually. Felt like there were plenty of power ups to damage boost through a lot of it (except at the red coin section)

--

P stars
If a lot of the remaining levels are like this I’m gonna need more lives. I really liked it. I had a bunch of problems reading the thwomp section; I was in gotta-go-fast mode and could easily make the jump through the first thwomp onto the spikes but then nothing really lined up. I think things would’ve been clearer if those three extra floating spikes weren’t there in the first place. Unless it’s an alternate route?

--

Larry’s low effort living space
Wow that sure was a drop in difficulty from p stars. Felt like a nice early world castle; a bit easier than the rest of the levels though (even excluding p stars)

--

Mechakoopa lake
Only got to try the run-on-the-water path. The pacing of it was a bit weird since the mechakoopas kept waking up, could only make it to the next “checkpoint” before I had to get p speed again.

--

Fast frogs
Going under the cheep cheeps in the first area felt a little tight, but I suspect I’m just not used to the frog suit yet. Once I was past that everything else was pretty reasonable.

--

Light frogletics
It wasn’t super clear you had to double bounce on the giant mechakoopa. Before the first death at least. Used the end to grind a few extra lives and stocked up to 99. Just in case.

--

Poison froggie
Ok I guess I didn’t need to grind lives, came out with enough excess lives to create a small colony. Took me a while to drill the frog suit mechanics into my muscle memory, but I didn’t think anything was particularly unfair. Wasn’t a huge fan of the rotten mushroom section; I ended up finding something super consistent but it just involves waiting around a bit and I think ruins the dodging you were going for.

The indicators at the beginning for the flying mechakoopas seemed completely off to me, I basically ended up bouncing between them. I didn't notice any other spacing issues as a result of that though, so no harm no foul.

--

Iggy’s something something. Forgot to write down the level name
Some of the early on/off switches were missing arrows so I didn’t feel fully trained for the few decoy ones. Swimming went well, though I would’ve preferred to not have to wait for the lava to go back down.

--

Sinister skyway
Definitely the hardest standard level you’ve had so far. I’m apparently pretty bad at the cape, messed up a lot on the opening section.

I missed how the last section was supposed to go - I threw the shell down over the conveyor and bounced off of it, then took damage and just ran across the spikes to the end. I assume I was not supposed to take damage.

--

P’s cannon
Pretty good indicators all around. Kind of had to make up timing for the very first cannon ball section, but it felt pretty natural anyway.

--

Mechakoopa surfing
Pretty good training room for the mechanic - I assume I’m going to run into a harder application in the next level.

--

Cloud corruption
Man that was rough on the life counter. No real way to get 1ups (except the key door... once) so it felt pretty dangerous in a super world. I found the hardest part to be bouncing on Monty and I’m not convinced that was supposed to be the main challenge. Was a bit confused at the ending since I didn’t use the p switch and just jumped off of the POW but I beat it so I’m not complaining.

The final segment (post-Monty) flowed particularly well.

--

Roy’s ravagers
A nice difficult-but-very-forgiving level. The replenishing p balloons definitely brought the difficulty down a magnitude but there’s nothing wrong with that. Boss fight felt a bit slow; Roy really took his time. Was good mechanically but I felt I was waiting around a lot. I’d say the boss difficulty fit the rest of the level. The rest of the world was a lot harder than this level though.

--

Wendy’s wonderful wind tunnel
Neat squirrel level. The beginning section was a bit weird for me because I found it easier without the powerup, it took a while to adjust. The coins before the first checkpoint were a bit rude since I was ahead of the scroll, and I followed the coins hoping for prizes.

--

Spinning squirrels
The timing was a bit weird on the first jump (had to wait a bit longer than I expected after grabbing the coin) and the first jump right after the checkpoint (I clipped that muncher next to it too many times). Once I figured out the timing you expected me to use it went pretty smoothly though.

Aaaand that's probably as far as I'm going to get in your super world. I used up my extra life stash in Cloud Corruption and starting with only five lives after a game over is a little too punishing/slow. I'll probably run through your levels via the uploaded courses tab later so I can restart your levels more quickly.

Overall:
Definitely not going to replace a standard Mario game any time soon but I really enjoyed the difficulty level here. I'm not really a fan of shell jumps or spring/pow dropping tech (mostly because I never bothered to learn the muscle memory for them...) so I was pretty happy with the difficulty just being tight platforming. Indicators were pretty good overall, and in the few cases where I had problems once I found the intended timing things worked out.