Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

porfiria posted:

Can anyone explain why Prometheus and Covenant are so into the mystery of who created humanity?

Like, is it really a mystery, Ridley?

The movie themselves aren't really interested in the question, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRa_xmJ4zXg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
where does Ripley fit in the reading of Aliens as a corporation quelling an organizing labor force

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

porfiria posted:

Can anyone explain why Prometheus and Covenant are so into the mystery of who created humanity?

Like, is it really a mystery, Ridley?

I think it's just an easy plot device to get into far-flung cosmic nihilistic horror and I am down tbh

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

alf_pogs posted:

I think it's just an easy plot device to get into far-flung cosmic nihilistic horror and I am down tbh

Yeah I think it's there mostly to get the audience in the headspace of huh I guess there is no grand answer and humanity is pretty meaningless and dumb as we see the stories play out.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Low Desert Punk posted:

where does Ripley fit in the reading of Aliens as a corporation quelling an organizing labor force

She's more concerned with taking care of her nuclear family so she sells out the strikers? Seems to work well, and pays off nicely in A3 and Resurrection.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Low Desert Punk posted:

And people thought the Vietnam allegory made the Vietnamese people look bad!

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

I present H R Giger: The Videogame

Edit— the video thumbnail is borderline NSFW, search YouTube for “Scorn Xbox trailer”. :nms:

been interested in this for a while, but it's been "in development" for a long rear end time now, and i have serious doubts about it.

they make some very interesting trailers however: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ue0jsQaPk

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RIP Ian Holm, I know he’d been in failing health for quite some time but it’s still unfortunate. :(

I solicited him to contribute to my AvP Let’s Play years ago and while he could have told me to go gently caress my self, he was exceedingly polite in declining. Class act all around.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
So uhh... https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/walter-hill-alien-5-treatment-wants-sigourney-weaver

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
My eyes just slid right off the page of that article ngl

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have mixed feelings.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If it’s a sequel to Resurrection I’m way less mixed and kind of stoked.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

For the love of God please stop making Ripley films

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I dunno I'm down for anything that shows us the franchise isn't dead by Disney

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

RIP Ian Holm, I know he’d been in failing health for quite some time but it’s still unfortunate. :(

I solicited him to contribute to my AvP Let’s Play years ago and while he could have told me to go gently caress my self, he was exceedingly polite in declining. Class act all around.

One of the best, he will be missed.

CelticPredator posted:

If it’s a sequel to Resurrection I’m way less mixed and kind of stoked.

Ripley 8 and Call's Eggcelent Adventure.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I just don't want Aliens 2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Walter Hill, recently, I mean nothing against him but in general can't say I'm very confidant in anything he's involved in today.

PeterCat posted:

I just don't want Aliens 2.

Never forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMfw43Vj4d4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrDeESoujBU

:3: :3: :3: :3: :3: :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iogDjJ3d_xU

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 22, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Would they dare get some combination of Winona Ryder or/and Ron Perlman back? Or actually just have a new cast with no Ripley?

Having the working title of Alien V though, I mean that doesn't even necessarily mean Ripley is back, just that it's in the same continuity as the previous four flicks. I don't know, I'm always down with a new Alien movie but like, as they say in Resurrection, the species was rendered extinct with what went down in Aliens and Alien 3, and everything sure as hell got hosed up on on the ship in Resurrection.

Just, like do we really need another movie where the first half of it is just establishing how aliens are a thing again?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Newt: can I dream?
Ripley: yes honey, but noone will hear you scream. *winks at camera*

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I hope the whole movie is an Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge deal that happens while Ripley is falling into the molten lead in Alien3.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I guess at this point Prometheus 3 is completely dead in the water :(

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

so Alien Covenant isn't an Alien movie

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

so Alien Covenant isn't an Alien movie

Sure, but it was also a direct sequel to Prometheus and carried on its themes and plot elements, which Alien 5: the even further adventures of Ripley almost certainly wouldn't

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

McSpanky posted:

I hope the whole movie is an Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge deal that happens while Ripley is falling into the molten lead in Alien3.

and they don't tell Sigourney Weaver

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Alien V (predator)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't know, I'm always down with a new Alien movie but like, as they say in Resurrection, the species was rendered extinct with what went down in Aliens and Alien 3, and everything sure as hell got hosed up on on the ship in Resurrection.

If they’re ignoring Prometheus then there’s still the Space Jockey angle.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

david_a posted:

If they’re ignoring Prometheus then there’s still the Space Jockey angle.
"No, the Space Jockeys weren't really ten-foot-tall grey guys. Alien V shows you the real Space Jockeys!"

[Alien V's Space Jockeys are just as disappointing and :geno: as Prometheus's, but in a different way.]

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Making an Alien movie with Weaver back as Ripley, but without Ridley's involvement, and going out of their way to contradict Prometheus/Covenant would be an absolutely absurd scenario. I hope it happens to be honest.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's going to be a Weaver film, but revealing that Fassbender has been responsible for every time she gets cloned/frozen and wakes up and there are Aliens around.

e: also she's a descendent of Shaw, which is why he toys with her

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

My fear is that the prequels will be treated the same way the Star Wars prequels were and memory holed for the sake of an incredibly formulaic fanservice story about Ripley fighting Xenomorphs in a closed off Weyland Yuntai facility *again*

Please just give Scott the budget to make Prometheus 3: The Revenge of the Engineers, please

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

multijoe posted:

My fear is that the prequels will be treated the same way the Star Wars prequels were and memory holed for the sake of an incredibly formulaic fanservice story about Ripley fighting Xenomorphs in a closed off Weyland Yuntai facility *again*

It’s Disney - this is exactly what they’re going to do.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I wonder if you could make a good Alien movie without Xenomorphs. For instance, you could use the early scenes of Aliens (especially the board room scene) as inspiration, and the movie could center around other Weyland-Yutani projects. A shady mega-corporation in a universe with Lovecraft-esque horrors could serve as the backdrop for all sorts of neat stories, although you'd probably want to preserve the glimmers of hope and humanity that makes Alien and Aliens so satisfying to watch. You could include some sort of new alien, so there's still mystery and unknown.

Alternately, make a movie about a completely different set of space truckers who run into (non-Xenomorph) trouble. The galaxy is a massive place, after all, and other people have to be doing interesting things too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Make an Alien film like Shin Godzilla. Yes the aliens are there, but also it’s just lots of scenes of committees and meetings and the occasional action sequence.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
"We would be able to take care of the xenomorphs if it wasn't for *stares at camera* bureaucracy!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I maintain that the Engineers are different from the Space Jockeys and it's abusive scientist makers all the way down.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

Making an Alien movie with Weaver back as Ripley, but without Ridley's involvement, and going out of their way to contradict Prometheus/Covenant would be an absolutely absurd scenario. I hope it happens to be honest.

Awful thoughts

I reject them and hate them

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DorianGravy posted:

I wonder if you could make a good Alien movie without Xenomorphs.

Prometheus

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
As much as I loved Prometheus, I never felt like it needed to become a continuing series tying more and more into Alien. So it doesn't seem so bad if they just continue on in the universe without acknowledging it directly.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Eh, I don't actually like Prometheus or Covenant. I find the movies to be fairly mean-spirited overall (in comparison to Alien and Aliens, which end on more hopeful notes), and they're full of characters who make dumb decisions that get themselves killed.

Plus, those movies are still about Xenomorph origins. Instead, I was wondering if it would be interesting to explore other stories altogether. I think the first couple Alien and Predator movies succeed because they allow viewers to let their imaginations run wild. But the more they go back to the same storylines and reveal backstory, the more the allure of of these subjects is removed, resulting in disappointing movies.

Maybe show us more of future Earth instead. Would it look like Blade Runner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alien movies should be mean