Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What if you and your mates use demonically-supercharged Presence to convince everyone that Actually This is Cool and Good? (Dominate only works if you end up with a higher generation, of course.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Nessus posted:

What if you and your mates use demonically-supercharged Presence to convince everyone that Actually This is Cool and Good? (Dominate only works if you end up with a higher generation, of course.)

Standard drawbacks of relying on infernal pacts and disciplines. Namely, if something happens to interrupt them, the demon withdraws its favour, or someone strong enough to resist turns up, people will realize This Is Weird and Bad and also that you hosed with their heads, and then next thing you know, they're loving with yours using an industrial hydraulic press.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Loomer posted:

Anarchs don't do much with it, from memory. I'm sure there's a few here or there in my files who did but most Anarchs are young, stupid, and lack the tutors for the preliminary magic it takes to summon a demon or are inducted into non-infernalist thaumaturgy instead.

Anarchs are also the most likely to wind up dead real fast because if there's one thing that'll get you on the outs in a society based on independent will and loose power structures, swearing your soul to a hierarchy of literally infernal enslavement is probably it. It's not quite antithetical to the Anarch ethoi, but it's very close for the ones that go beyond 'I do what I want because VAMPIRE, BITCH!', and with the preponderance of Anarchs trying to cling to humanity, you wind up with a double-pronged opposition. First, you've got the actual Anarch Establishment insofar as one exists, which is scary old elders who're committed to a philosophical ideal, and then you've got the ordinary Anarchs who're split between 'woe is me I am vampyr' and 'I'm a vampire, awesome, but also, slavery is bad'.

And then you go and sell your soul to gain power, and become a slave. Your ancients go 'hell no!' and purge you with extreme prejudice because you're getting a bit too Sabbat for their liking, your humanists go 'hell no!' and purge you because that's like, evil, dude, and your punks either purge you or sign up depending on how they feel about 'the slaves shall serve' morality.

Somebody on Reddit pointed out how a Baali or the like could show up in an Anarch Free State and cry asylum from the religious persecution of the Camarilla. As you noted, many Anarchs are too young and stupid to really think there could be any merit to such oppression. The Infernalist plays on this and makes some friends who want to be edgy and don't lend any credence to superstition.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Loomer posted:

Standard drawbacks of relying on infernal pacts and disciplines. Namely, if something happens to interrupt them, the demon withdraws its favour, or someone strong enough to resist turns up, people will realize This Is Weird and Bad and also that you hosed with their heads, and then next thing you know, they're loving with yours using an industrial hydraulic press.
I'm now imagining a chick tract, but it ain't the blood of Jesus they're pleading to rebuke the demons.

e: In fact I remember that this is why despite being constantly marinated in Wyrm-adjacent activities, only a couple really specific kinds of Banes can inhabit vampires, or at least only inhabit them and take control. That had the fun implication of an elder vampire getting like a pollution Bane trying to fuse with him and finding out that the Bane is the junior partner. HAW HAW!

Nessus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 7, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

Somebody on Reddit pointed out how a Baali or the like could show up in an Anarch Free State and cry asylum from the religious persecution of the Camarilla. As you noted, many Anarchs are too young and stupid to really think there could be any merit to such oppression. The Infernalist plays on this and makes some friends who want to be edgy and don't lend any credence to superstition.

You've already got the Followers of Set - beg pardon, the Ministry - doing this with Anarchs.

Nessus posted:

I'm now imagining a chick tract, but it ain't the blood of Jesus they're pleading to rebuke the demons.

e: In fact I remember that this is why despite being constantly marinated in Wyrm-adjacent activities, only a couple really specific kinds of Banes can inhabit vampires, or at least only inhabit them and take control. That had the fun implication of an elder vampire getting like a pollution Bane trying to fuse with him and finding out that the Bane is the junior partner. HAW HAW!

The older a vampire the more durable its soul. I always thing of Monty Coven, who was a very high Generation Assamite antitribu who came on the 4th Generation Mithras after Mithras had been really messed up by werewolves and did the diablerie on him. He was overwhelmed by Mithras pretty quickly and I think is currently running London again. Well, until whatever goes on in the Fall of London, if you want to pay attention to V5 and I don't blame you if you don't.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

The older a vampire the more durable its soul. I always thing of Monty Coven, who was a very high Generation Assamite antitribu who came on the 4th Generation Mithras after Mithras had been really messed up by werewolves and did the diablerie on him. He was overwhelmed by Mithras pretty quickly and I think is currently running London again. Well, until whatever goes on in the Fall of London, if you want to pay attention to V5 and I don't blame you if you don't.

The back and forth between them is my favorite part of Beckett's Jyhad Diary.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Omnicrom posted:

This, NikkolasKing, is why you don't engage with Oberst or their alter ego, Metapod. They spam up the thread with incredibly stupid bullshit and are either dense as all hell or actively disingenuous and frankly in neither case do they provide anything of value. I'll take Magechat over Metapod failing to understand racial stereotyping or Oberst going harassment apologist.

I'm not sure what this means lmao

Oberst
May 24, 2010

How dare I explain the game I'm enjoying to people who haven't played it?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

DantetheK9 posted:

The two of those were already baked into V5 when Modiphus got control and Ericsson was booted out thoroughly enough that they're not easily removed without doing a V5.5 (And I don't think the Second Inquisition is all that bad an idea, it just needs some serious fleshing out.)

I'd honestly be surprised if anything that wasn't actively in production before he was told to get out hasn't gone through massive changes.

Modiphus sucks and hasn't done anything LOL - OPP are the ones releasing the amazing Chicago suite and blood gods. Most of the questions handwringed about are in these books

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arbite posted:

The back and forth between them is my favorite part of Beckett's Jyhad Diary.

It is pretty great, although a personal favorite is making Birmingham Alabama of all places the epicenter of the schismatic Banu Haqim's entry into the Camarilla.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Discussing the questionable relationships vampires can have with mortals over in the Bloodlines thread, I'm reminded of discussions I've seen of how the blood of various supernaturals taste to Kindred. They really like Mage blood, I hear.

But anyway, given how amazing the Kiss is, how it's basically a euphoric drug, do the Cult of Ecstasy have any special interest in vampires?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So, about ghosts & spirits.

If there are ghosts caused by workplace safety accidents, would/should this be linked to spirits of guilt etc? Or is it better to try to stick to either ghosts or spirits for a given area?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Tulip posted:

If there are ghosts caused by workplace safety accidents, would/should this be linked to spirits of guilt etc? Or is it better to try to stick to either ghosts or spirits for a given area?

Where would the guilt come from? Is it from the owner of the factory, or the operator of the machinery? How intense would that guilt have to be, to be able to generate enough guilt flavored resonance to feel a guilt spirit of even rank 1? Does the spirit have the means to cross the gauntlet, and if it does, how strong/weak is the gauntlet and why is it that way?

I could see the owner of a factory who is knowingly creating an unsafe environment because of outside forces wither blackmailing him or otherwise against his natural desires, being able to do that, especially if there's a couple people in the factory all in on the secret, a cult that summoned something that's now bossing them around, or maybe using these deaths as a ritual to prevent something even more dangerous and terrible coming across.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tulip posted:

Ghosts and spirits can coexist but operate on different frequencies, as it were. They are unlikely to actually notice each other unless something weird is going on (such as an area being sufficiently tinged with the Essence of death that they start overlapping).

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Soonmot posted:

Where would the guilt come from? Is it from the owner of the factory, or the operator of the machinery? How intense would that guilt have to be, to be able to generate enough guilt flavored resonance to feel a guilt spirit of even rank 1? Does the spirit have the means to cross the gauntlet, and if it does, how strong/weak is the gauntlet and why is it that way?

I could see the owner of a factory who is knowingly creating an unsafe environment because of outside forces wither blackmailing him or otherwise against his natural desires, being able to do that, especially if there's a couple people in the factory all in on the secret, a cult that summoned something that's now bossing them around, or maybe using these deaths as a ritual to prevent something even more dangerous and terrible coming across.

Mors Rattus posted:

Ghosts and spirits can coexist but operate on different frequencies, as it were. They are unlikely to actually notice each other unless something weird is going on (such as an area being sufficiently tinged with the Essence of death that they start overlapping).

OK cool, thank you.

To be a bit more explicit, my players are investigating a nuclear power plant run by cultists. They're convinced there's something secret there, so I have no good reason for there NOT to be something fucky. I haven't established that there's anything in particular there, other than a functioning nuclear power plant and a lot of religious reverence.

I might avoid anything with ghosts for no reason other than that spirits are already established and may as well keep on a theme. The players are VERY sympathetic to the cult, so I'd rather not pull the rug under the players by going "btw these guys are super loving evil."

An idea that a friend I'm bouncing ideas off had was a nostalgia spirit keeps a lot of the plant humming. I'm hopeful about this as I already established that there's a lot of nostalgia tied up in the general environment - there's a retrofuturist renfaire outside the power plant, for example.

In any event, while this feels like resonant and honest world building, what's a good way to drive this toward conflict? I've usually avoided spirits - even when I played a Thyrsus I basically only got a weak understanding of how the gently caress spirits work. What's good spirit-focused friction for the players to have to navigate?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Hello I am just popping in to say a couple things.

1. Some folks need to chill out about textvampires and textwizards and just kind of generally be slightly less pissy in this thread.

2. Use the drat edit button, stop the triple/quadruple posting thing.

Thanks.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tulip posted:

OK cool, thank you.

To be a bit more explicit, my players are investigating a nuclear power plant run by cultists. They're convinced there's something secret there, so I have no good reason for there NOT to be something fucky. I haven't established that there's anything in particular there, other than a functioning nuclear power plant and a lot of religious reverence.

I might avoid anything with ghosts for no reason other than that spirits are already established and may as well keep on a theme. The players are VERY sympathetic to the cult, so I'd rather not pull the rug under the players by going "btw these guys are super loving evil."

An idea that a friend I'm bouncing ideas off had was a nostalgia spirit keeps a lot of the plant humming. I'm hopeful about this as I already established that there's a lot of nostalgia tied up in the general environment - there's a retrofuturist renfaire outside the power plant, for example.

In any event, while this feels like resonant and honest world building, what's a good way to drive this toward conflict? I've usually avoided spirits - even when I played a Thyrsus I basically only got a weak understanding of how the gently caress spirits work. What's good spirit-focused friction for the players to have to navigate?

OH! This is for the promethean game! The biggest thing in going ghost or spirit is that the characters are going to need a way to interact with something that is usually ephemeral. I'm not sure if any promethean powers allow that, so you're stuck with dealing with the entity on it's terms.

From what you've posted, a nostalgia spirit sounds like a great angle. The thing to remember about spirits is that they're totally focused on being what they are. The cliche example is that a spirit of love doesn't care if that love is healthy or reciprocated. So if you want this spirit to be an antagonist, think about the negative aspects of nostalgia.

Reene posted:

1. Some folks need to chill out about textvampires and textwizards and just kind of generally be slightly less pissy in this thread.

Thanks.

It's really only 2 posters, but thank you.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Soonmot posted:

OH! This is for the promethean game! The biggest thing in going ghost or spirit is that the characters are going to need a way to interact with something that is usually ephemeral. I'm not sure if any promethean powers allow that, so you're stuck with dealing with the entity on it's terms.

From what you've posted, a nostalgia spirit sounds like a great angle. The thing to remember about spirits is that they're totally focused on being what they are. The cliche example is that a spirit of love doesn't care if that love is healthy or reciprocated. So if you want this spirit to be an antagonist, think about the negative aspects of nostalgia.

Well, Ulgans can interact with them pretty much at-will. There are no ulgans in the party :dukedog: DM Fiat time.

And yeah the one thing I feel clear about spirits is that they're very specific. Also I've learned form quickly skimming the WTF book that spirits bans & banes can be learned from secondary research, which is good. Now I just gotta come up with good ones...

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Nostalgia spirit:
Ban: cannot move more than 50ft from where it's taken root
Bane: Anything taken from it's area of influence and fashioned into something completely new.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pakxos posted:

Nostalgia spirit:
Ban: cannot move more than 50ft from where it's taken root
Bane: Anything taken from it's area of influence and fashioned into something completely new.

Ooh that Bane did the trick, thank you so much I was struggling a lot with "but people are nostalgic for everything, vague concepts can't be banes"

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Nice! Glad it was of use.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Just thinking about a Nostalgia-spirit Claimed that heals all damage done at a werewolf's pace ("everything's just like it was, always, forever") and can only be injured permanently by a knife fashioned out of recording media of a gritty reboot. Finally, a use for Platinum Dunes horror remakes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Just thinking about a Nostalgia-spirit Claimed that heals all damage done at a werewolf's pace ("everything's just like it was, always, forever") and can only be injured permanently by a knife fashioned out of recording media of a gritty reboot. Finally, a use for Platinum Dunes horror remakes.
What it makes me think of is some kind of hosed up spirit that starts off by giving you Willpower if you talk about it, but then starts making you lose Willpower if you don't talk about it. Hell, you could skip straight to the second option for a narcissism spirit. :v:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nessus posted:

What it makes me think of is some kind of hosed up spirit that starts off by giving you Willpower if you talk about it, but then starts making you lose Willpower if you don't talk about it. Hell, you could skip straight to the second option for a narcissism spirit. :v:
Thinking about a self-regulating growth limit for narcissism spirits where once they get too well-fed off of people's narcissism, they start turning it inward, wonder why people aren't talking about Me, The Spirit, The Greatest Thing, and cut off their own food source and shrink back down to manageable levels.

Or they succeed and start a cult that is, itself, composed of rise-and-grind-and-be-like-me motivational speaker psychos who revere it above all, and themselves above everyone else.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Thinking about a self-regulating growth limit for narcissism spirits where once they get too well-fed off of people's narcissism, they start turning it inward, wonder why people aren't talking about Me, The Spirit, The Greatest Thing, and cut off their own food source and shrink back down to manageable levels.

Or they succeed and start a cult that is, itself, composed of rise-and-grind-and-be-like-me motivational speaker psychos who revere it above all, and themselves above everyone else.
So is Instagram an incarna yet or what

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

NikkolasKing posted:

Discussing the questionable relationships vampires can have with mortals over in the Bloodlines thread, I'm reminded of discussions I've seen of how the blood of various supernaturals taste to Kindred. They really like Mage blood, I hear.

But anyway, given how amazing the Kiss is, how it's basically a euphoric drug, do the Cult of Ecstasy have any special interest in vampires?

It's mostly Hermetics actually, there's a whole book about the Tremere vs the Hermetics in modern nights. Ecstatics who end up ghouled are Ecstatics who end up addicted to anything else. They've traded advancement in Gnosis for an Avatar that doesn't crave Ascension. Doesn't mean it's going to work out well for the bloodsucker though, other Ecstatics will come looking sooner rather than later and a mage who knows what you are is going to ruin most vampires.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Nessus posted:

So is Instagram an incarna yet or what

I don't know about Instagram itself, but these are a sub-type of spirits called Memephores in M20.

M20 posted:

LOLCat: Cuteness elemental, often manifesting as
an adorable (often young) animal in an endearing
situation. Tends to speak in abbreviated childish banter
(“I can haz…?”). Apparently immortal, this shapeshifting
entity seems to be totally impervious to harm, avoiding
conflicts through the sheer intensity of its charm. Has an
uncanny talent for making people smile. Traits: Category
1; Expression 3

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\My players went up against a Depression spirit that spread itself and it's minions through a Sad Giraffe meme in one of our earliest werewolf games. In mage, one of the side quests they might pick up during their current investigation is going to bring back the Sad Giraffe.

Soonmot posted:

This is similar to one of the cults my mages will have to go against when they travel to Seattle, the Church of the Perpetual Hustle. Haven't figured out what god the abyssal entity will be masquerading as, except something with wealth.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 9, 2020

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
quote isn't edit

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The latest Technocracy update mentions the Cyber-Tooth Tiger so I might to give it a passing grade.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Reene posted:

Thanks.

Thank you. The weird angry gatekeeping, edition wars, meta chats, and accusations make posting kinda uncomfortable

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Reene posted:

Thanks.

Completely agree the rage some posters here get because the new game isn't the correct edition is absolutely insane. As for the quad post I wasn't sure if they would notice an edit as we going back and forth pretty quickly so I just kept posting. Thank you reene

E: Since a lot of the hate is thrown my direction if you ever want to discuss why such things are being said my pms are always open

Metapod fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 9, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's mostly Hermetics actually, there's a whole book about the Tremere vs the Hermetics in modern nights. Ecstatics who end up ghouled are Ecstatics who end up addicted to anything else. They've traded advancement in Gnosis for an Avatar that doesn't crave Ascension. Doesn't mean it's going to work out well for the bloodsucker though, other Ecstatics will come looking sooner rather than later and a mage who knows what you are is going to ruin most vampires.

Yeah, Blood Treachery. It's on my To Buy List since I love the Tremere and Hermetics.

I didn't think a Hermetic would be so drawn to this, though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
For the record, Blood Treachery is kind of infamous for being one of the worst White Wolf books ever published.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Be prepared to have to read it several times.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

For the record, Blood Treachery is kind of infamous for being one of the worst White Wolf books ever published.

This seems to happen a lot with the books I buy. lol It's not very high on my list, it's just on there. It's a long list.

Also, going back to the Anarchs and Infernalism, I found this tidbit in V5 Anarch:

quote:

Report #260 – A Fourth House Recent investigation leads us to believe that our initial supposition in Report #139 was incorrect. Where in that report we stated the post-mortals known as “Warlocks” aligned within three separate “Houses,” our studies into the Anarchists reveal a fourth house known as “Ipsissimus” (see Crowley, Aleister in Report #L32AC for further information regarding this term). An apparently new development, these apolitical blankbodies seem more concerned with spiritual matters than political gamesmanship, but disturbingly, practice violent bloodletting and sacrificial rituals that cause other haemovores concern. While they seem to lack any outward sadism, the ease with which they murder, maim, and indulge in carnal acts, implies a strict disconnect from normal, human behavior. House Ipsissimus is on our radar for immediate targeting and destruction, unless we can find a purpose for keeping them as unknowing spies or instigators. At this time, we are unconcerned by their internal activity.

(Page 171).

This is talking about a rogue Tremere House and not infernalists per se but this seems like some helpful information about what groups might get up to in a Free State in terms of arcane, hosed up rituals.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, Blood Treachery. It's on my To Buy List since I love the Tremere and Hermetics.

I didn't think a Hermetic would be so drawn to this, though.

Hermetics are all about hubris and since the Tremere were Hermetics there's always been some back and forth. Mostly it's that younger Hermetics don't know what Vitae is and it's easy to convince them that they've got the willpower to avoid addiction, or just don't mention that part. "Bro, I made you a potion of Hermes' Celerity! Hell yeah it's full of weird poo poo!" Combine that with supernatural presence and manipulation you're going to have a bad time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Specifically, Blood Treachery:

1) is structured as a play, with a cast list, acts, and a beginning and ending. It also brings that play to a conclusion without actually involving the characters in any way, so... they made an adventure book but forgot to include the adventure.

2) The adventure involves the Hermetics deciding to start a war with the Tremere, and to prosecute this war by attacking their chantries with guns in the middle of the night, rather than, say, literally anything else.

3) In general the game assumes that the Hermetics know absolutely nothing about vampires, which sort of works as a kludge when the anti-crossover barriers are up, but once they actually have a crossover you'd think they would at least know what you could read out of the mind of a random neonate.

4) The book includes two pages of rules on how to cure vampirism with magick, only to note at the end that all of these methods will fail because players cannot roll more dice than God.

5) The book includes rules for ghoul mages, which I will summarize as "gently caress you for wanting to play a ghoul mage, you disgusting powergamer. Your character sheet will now be burned in front of you."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like how the author complains about Mage Revenants, which had no rules prior to that book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ghouling a mage should be a bad idea because mages are inherently bad ideas and now that mage is obsessed with you.