Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tei posted:

I probably already shared the bug here...

I got a call from the customer. "Our site is full of cats!". I checked production, and it was real, every image was replaced by a photo of a cat. Article news, everything but icons and logos.

We quickly fixed it. In development we used https://placekitten.com/ to replace photos, and it was accidentally enabled in production.

Haha, that's funny. While redeploying you should've held the customer on the line while yelling "Shoo! Shoo! Get out of here! Ok, they ran away, try reloading now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That's such a straightforward bug for the developers and yet such a mysterious one to a client

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Please sir, this is a thread for horrors, not blessings.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Tei posted:

I got a call from the customer. "Our site is full of cats!". I checked production, and it was real, every image was replaced by a photo of a cat. Article news, everything but icons and logos.

Closed wontfix notabug

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Ola posted:

Haha, that's funny. While redeploying you should've held the customer on the line while yelling "Shoo! Shoo! Get out of here! Ok, they ran away, try reloading now."

I legit laughed out loud at this mental picture

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tei posted:

We quickly fixed it. In development we used https://placekitten.com/ to replace photos, and it was accidentally enabled in production.

And that's why you test with kittens and not something offensive.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
That's the most adorable bug.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tei posted:

Working as intended

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

OddObserver posted:

And that's why you test with kittens and not something offensive.

Heck yes. An extremely good lesson to learn right here.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Tei posted:

Somebody high up in Google decided that the only user case worth supporting on Chrome is somebody filling the details of the credit card, or login in a form.

A victim of this has been autocomplete=off, disabling autocomplete.

Since them, every form ever is threaten like a login form, so if you are editing a user, and changes random data, the browser may automatically update this field or other data. And have his own widget on top of existing widget for autocompletion, for things has ridiculous has datepickers.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromiu...20OS%20Modified

The war for this continue, the old bug for this was flagged wontfix, so people created a new bug.

Something made me think of this recently, and it's ongoing user vs lovely and lazy developer and manager war. Take comment 14 in the bug report:

quote:

We face the following problem with not being able to disable autocomplete:
- different applications (java servlets) on different subdomains
- login to https://a.domain.com
==> save username/password
- login to https://b.domain.com
==> save different username/password
- login to https://c.domain.com
==> do not save username/password
Text input field used as a as-you-type filter value is preset with the username saved on A.domain.com and this makes the filtering useless

That's a prime example of lazy rear end developer hating the user. All the subdomains belong to the same company, you should have one login that works across the entire site. Just back the account with permissions per subdomain. It's not rocket science.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

MrMoo posted:

Something made me think of this recently, and it's ongoing user vs lovely and lazy developer and manager war. Take comment 14 in the bug report:

That's a prime example of lazy rear end developer hating the user. All the subdomains belong to the same company, you should have one login that works across the entire site. Just back the account with permissions per subdomain. It's not rocket science.

Or it could be some SaaS solution where each customer gets their own subdomain. And some users need to use access many customers.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

MrMoo posted:

theres even technologies for this, federation login systems

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

MrMoo posted:

[eyes the companyname.atlassian.net domain in the other monitor] :thunk:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Munkeymon posted:

[eyes the companyname.atlassian.net domain in the other monitor] :thunk:

Why do you have multiple company JIRA accounts? Still not really a problem with SAML integration.

Like most UX choices though, autocomplete is clearly benefiting the majority of users. If you're an admin, whatever, you can use whatever password tools and browser pr0n mode to bypass storing values.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 8, 2020

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Every single input on the web is a "form", how is it such a stretch to realize treating them all like registration forms could cause problems?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SupSuper posted:

Every single input on the web is a "form", how is it such a stretch to realize treating them all like registration forms could cause problems?

What do you mean you don't implement your forms via canvas elements and handling keypress events?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That's such a straightforward bug for the developers and yet such a mysterious one to a client
Years ago I deployed a site that was bootstrapped with Yeoman and had deployed it to the staging server with the default favicon intact, which is the Yeoman logo. About the only feedback I got about that iteration was about ten comments like "why is there a german sausage man in my browser", "when will you be getting rid of the mustache man", and "why is this happening, I didn't ask for this". I don't think anyone really even looked at the site because they were so distressed and shaken by the presence of an unknown mustache man in the address bar.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SupSuper posted:

I don't think the claim is that it doesn't cause problems, it's that the benefits outweigh the costs.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Currently dealing with a student who is insisting they didn't copy code for their assignment. Despite the exact same code existing from 2016. No variable names changed. Extra variables that aren't used, using objects we didn't learn in class.

The coding horror is my sanity.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I've never understood that mentality. If you could find it easily with a google search, so can your instructor.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I imagine if they don't admit anything there is some bureaucracy involved with pressing the matter and they just hope lord funk doesn't want to deal with it. A smart person knows It's the kind of offense that could get you expelled even if you fess up, thus you must not admit anything.

If they didn't change variable names, they probably aren't particularly smart though

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

lord funk posted:

Currently dealing with a student who is insisting they didn't copy code for their assignment. Despite the exact same code existing from 2016. No variable names changed. Extra variables that aren't used, using objects we didn't learn in class.

The coding horror is my sanity.

When I was a TA I had a student who I busted cheating in similar manner (not that they knew it was me) e-mail me at the end of semester with some sort of "any way can I get better than a C+?" type deal... I don't really know what they were hoping for, but my self-control got some training.

I think the professor had to do some sort of academic tribunal thing for them with presenting evidence and stuff. Sounds like a hassle, but also that it's good there was a Process (tm).

(I was also extra-salty since I put in a lot of effort trying to give a partly broken solution a fair shot before finding the exact same thing on a separate solution).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

senrath posted:

I've never understood that mentality. If you could find it easily with a google search, so can your instructor.

you'd have to imagine someone else caring about something you don't care about, a lot of people find that tricky

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Dealing with plagiarism in college is the worst. As a TA I’ve had to deal with so many people claiming that their identical down to the indentation code was stolen from them by their master hacker classmates.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Don't gently caress around with plagiarism at university. Someone in my year had their degree revoked after they'd already graduated, moved away, and gotten a job because they gave a lower year student some code they wrote for an assignment in a prior year and they handed it in unchanged since the assignment was the same. It was the same prof and he recognized the code, and since he still had copies of all the assignments from prior years, it was easy to see who gave it to him.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
One semester we had the same group of 3 kids get busted twice for copying off each other. The first time it was the entire assignment, and the second time it was just the extra credit problem. They weren't around after that.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Back in college, I got stuck in a group of lazy bums for a semester long project. Rarely would half of them show up during meeting times we scheduled. The morning of the presentation I finally received some content from the other members. We needed slides and accompanying detailed notes. One guy didn't even try. He straight up copy-pasted an article from CNET, complete with stock symbols in parentheses after company names. Even the girl who brought her slides to the computer lab ten minutes before our presentation at least tried.

Group projects were the worst. I guess to make this post code related, my group members in the QBasic/VB6 course also were basically useless.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

A friend of mine was once asked by a classmate for their code to copy. He gave them some code - without mentioning it was actually the lecturer's example code they posted. Being the great students they were they had never seen the example, so they handed it in for the assignment unmodified. Them and two others who had subsequently copied it from them. :v:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Dammit I had to write a paper on something in univ once and a classmate which I thought I knew reasonably well and could trust asked me if she could see my work in progress because she wasn't getting any inspiration and didn't know where to start, so I sent her some stuff.

Once I handed in the paper the teacher's automatic fraud detector went off and said the paper contained copied materials, because *she had copied from me*. When we were called in at least she admitted copying my stuff right away so I could keep my grade and she had to redo it.

But I have to say it's quite a scare to get a mail saying "we detected you copied stuff for your paper" while I was sure I didn't do anything like that.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The western world is all about original creation but maybe we are a tiny bit wrong.

Copying other people work, looking at how other people code, imitating success... theres a lot to learn that way.

Reusing code is not the worst thing a student can do.

If is really a problem. Write a script that procedurally generate the problem, based on a set of problems, with random elements or options.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I was a TA once in a first-year programming course. The exam was a take-home exam where they two days to implement ten or so small programs in Standard ML (a fairly obscure language, but it's what we taught them). The students were required to work individually on the exam, with no oversight. Our students were generally honest, so cheating wasn't very rampant. However, one year we noticed that during the exam period, a bunch of questions showed up on Stack Overflow that matched exactly what we asked in the exam. After getting an answer, the asker would then delete the question (and of course, he was not asking under his real name). Fortunately, due to the obscurity of Standard ML, the person answering most of the questions was a former TA in the same course (I guess he hadn't considered why a bunch of Standard ML questions showed up all of a sudden). We asked him to take a break, and instead we started posting our own answers that seemed to be correct (had the right types and would work on the sample input/output in the exam), but were written in an idiosyncratic and recognizable style. After the exam handin, it was pretty straightforward to search through the submissions and find the one that contained the answers we posted on Stack Overflow, which identified the cheater nicely.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Tei posted:

The western world is all about original creation but maybe we are a tiny bit wrong.

Copying other people work, looking at how other people code, imitating success... theres a lot to learn that way.

Reusing code is not the worst thing a student can do.

If is really a problem. Write a script that procedurally generate the problem, based on a set of problems, with random elements or options.

Then you can scam your way to having a Computer Science degree that says you know Computer science, without having necessarily done ANY of the projects yourself to prove it. That makes even the most difficult-to-earn degree meaningless and devalued for everyone. At my school at least, it's possible to get through your whole set of classes this way thanks to enough public-facing githubs that have prior students' entire history of coursework on them.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I had a student turn in an extra file in their source code .zip file, called "buulshit.js", which contained the entirety of another student's submission. They were quite similar.

I also just finished one of those entire "tribunal" processes as an instructor on three students. I was able to prove that three friends not only turned in identical code for their assignments, but also identical answers on our multiple choice exams, turned in consecutively in the pile as if they handed them in simultaneously. They would have gotten away with it, but after final grades were already turned in, one of them had the gall to complain about their friend getting an A while they got an A- despite "having the exact same scores on everything" except for one disputed early assignment grade from ages ago. I thought, what are the odds that two students would get identical scores on everything across the board, and know it?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Then you can scam your way to having a Computer Science degree that says you know Computer science, without having necessarily done ANY of the projects yourself to prove it. That makes even the most difficult-to-earn degree meaningless and devalued for everyone.

It already is. :ssh:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Love to see education as purely transactional and frame ethical questions in terms of harming the value of the service I purchased

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

taqueso posted:

I imagine if they don't admit anything there is some bureaucracy involved with pressing the matter and they just hope lord funk doesn't want to deal with it. A smart person knows It's the kind of offense that could get you expelled even if you fess up, thus you must not admit anything.

If they didn't change variable names, they probably aren't particularly smart though

Not only did they try and claim they did write the code, but after I busted them they still wouldn't admit it!

neosloth posted:

...identical down to the indentation code...

Same in this case! Extra spaces, unusual variable abbreviations. And the student insisted he wrote the code. It was embarrassing.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

lord funk posted:

Not only did they try and claim they did write the code, but after I busted them they still wouldn't admit it!

what would it have gained them to do that?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Phobeste posted:

Love to see education as purely transactional and frame ethical questions in terms of harming the value of the service I purchased

:capitalism:

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Tei posted:

:rolleyes:

The learning process of universities is copying the process people use to create, looking at how it's done and imitating the successes. The whole point of plagiarising is to skip that whole learning part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Doc Hawkins posted:

what would it have gained them to do that?

At least at my Uni, if you admit to plagiarism, it remains to the teacher to decide what to do with you. At least if it is your first offense...

In practice this means that you will get 0 points, have to do the assignment again (but keep 0 points anyway), and a note in uni-wide system that you plagiarised X. The alternative is to go before a committee and let them decide. They can, and, if you are trying to deny really blatant case happily will, toss you out of the Uni.