Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dabir posted:

so you've never used the dark souls character creator, or

Good point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Also Ken Burns' Vietnam is terrible. He spends next to no time talking about the conditions of the primary combatants (hint: it's Vietnamese people), or examining the structural issues within South Vietnam that caused the American effort there to fail, all in favor of basically producing A Boomer's History of Vietnam. Then he basically parrots the Republican party line about the war: "we totally won except that those faithless Democrats sold out South Vietnam at the last second".

Did we watch the same doco? He spends like two episodes talking about the situation in the south specifically, and covers the changing political situation in the south in almost as much detail as he does the US throughout.

It's very much a documentary about the United States' involvement in Vietnam rather than a third party retelling of the Vietnam War, so it's told pretty consistently through that lens which is a bit jarring given that he's also trying to show that the war was unjust and the US occupation was doomed from the get-go. But I don't get how you can criticise him for not going in-depth on poo poo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

As I recall (I only watched it the once), he spends a bunch of time talking about the South (and also the North) in the run-up to American involvement, but there was very little attention paid to conditions in the South once America was in it, until the end when it comes back in. And the American perspectives in it were really nothing new, if you had any a priori knowledge about the war it was going to be tired ground. I mean I could be wrong but that was my takeaway after I watched it.

Really I find it difficult to talk about it now, since I watched Vietnam: A Television History in the mean time. Even 30 years later it's a much better treatment than Burns'.

Given that we're all stuck in quarantine maybe I'll watch it again.

PittTheElder has a new favorite as of 22:57 on May 8, 2020

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Yeah I warched it last summer and all I could think of was ‘this is extremely damning of the US’ and I think what validated it better than his other docs is he actually had Vietnamese in it giving their views, if only to provide commentary and additional perspective.

If he could have done that for his The War doc it would have been much better.

There was only so many times I could stand to hear that old lady say “Bayck in the wah’...”

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It's certainly more condemnatory than something you'd generally see on American TV, but realistically it pulls a lot of punches in presenting a 'balanced' narrative.

I'm going on very faded memories here, but doesn't the Gulf on Tonkin Incident get covered without discussing the prior US raids on the North's coast, and then present the second attack as a thing that actually happened? The administration was aware that it didn't, repeatedly lied about it, and as I recall this isn't really addressed.

And then it close with some line about political leaders on both sides acting with the best intentions or something? Because that is deeply untrue, particularly in the American case it's very easy to show about how they didn't really give a poo poo about Vietnam at all, at least not beyond it's implication to European allies and not being viewed by the electorate as having lost the war.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Dash Rendar posted:

And unfortunately, Ken Burns gave Foot a LOT of screentime.

There's a Ken Burns/Quentin Tarantino handshake meme in there

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

That documentary hated everyone involved on the American side except for that one soldier in the 50s that everyone in Vietnam loved who was gonna recommend we pull out of Vietnam and then accidentally got shot to death.

The US Army General said that if he was Vietnamese he would’ve fought for the north.

And, it might be my local biases, but somehow the Chicago cops come out looking like the worst group in that era.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Also, I realize I promoted watching Civil War because Foote does a good job characterizing—and I will also admit I was naive of the extend of his Southern sympathies, but for what it’s worth in this documentary I don’t come away feeling the South was Good and Right in any way and Foote himself definitely establishes the Souths idiocy and futile cause on more than one occasion. He just does a really good job of bringing to life the 1860s and he does it also with more than just southern figures. But, in the end he is of questionable overall value historically.

So: issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding Foote. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to him"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

:)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/EP5Ckow.mp4

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Thanks friend, I needed this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wholesome
Memes

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
one of them should be missing

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

LifeSunDeath posted:

one of them should be missing

Why? They've been inside together since the ides of March.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Me and the Boys was the best meme format of 2019.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Detective No. 27 posted:

Me and the Boys was the best meme format of 2019.

I have 30-50 disagreements with you

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

As a white woman, I endorse the Karen meme. Thanks for asking.

TVs Ian posted:

Is there a male equivalent of Karen? I feel like based on my years in retail, guys are more likely to throw a fit, possibly knock something over, and storm out when they don't get what they feel like they're entitled to.

It's 2020 my dude, a male Karen is a Karen. Duh.

However, a karen is generally someone who will try to ruin a service workers day/career by talking to your manager or calling corporate, they are explicitly using their privilege against you. It's all about control.

Physical intimidation is not one of the tools of the Karen. Knocking something over or throwing things is not exercising control, it's a loss of control. That sort of poo poo can get you banned from the store or even get the police called on you, putting you on the wrong side of authority figures. Someone throwing a tantrum like that isn't a karen, regardless of gender.

Karens are Lawful Evil.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Facebook Aunt posted:

As a white woman, I endorse the Karen meme. Thanks for asking.

It's 2020 my dude, a male Karen is a Karen. Duh.

However, a karen is generally someone who will try to ruin a service workers day/career by talking to your manager or calling corporate, they are explicitly using their privilege against you. It's all about control.

Physical intimidation is not one of the tools of the Karen. Knocking something over or throwing things is not exercising control, it's a loss of control. That sort of poo poo can get you banned from the store or even get the police called on you, putting you on the wrong side of authority figures. Someone throwing a tantrum like that isn't a karen, regardless of gender.

Karens are Lawful Evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0e-he_dU58 i refuse to believe this video is not a meme.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh no, it's mutating

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RIP Joe Exotic

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

chitoryu12 posted:

RIP Joe Exotic

always the meme thread

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Who actually died?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
That guy who abused tigers for years Siegfried or Roy, honestly it doesn’t matter which

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

beanieson posted:

That guy who abused tigers for years Siegfried or Roy, honestly it doesn’t matter which

Oh, thank God

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

From COVID wtf lol

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Data Graham posted:

From COVID wtf lol

Yeah. I've heard it's been going around lately

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mauser posted:

One weird trick, boomers hate it.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9SLVEOdK58&t=45s

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I'm top tier baby

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
My GSP is at least 100,000 baby.

It's uh... not as impressive as it sounds.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

For those who cannot listen to it, the soundtrack is Survivor’s “Eye of the Tiger”, a.k.a. the Rocky III theme.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

thanks, eine Hand

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mauser posted:

I mean it’s like, you survive a career of working with tigers and getting you head nearly bitten off by one and then finally it’s this that gets you

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

translations por favor