Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

endlessmonotony posted:

(Okay I'm a little angry Apple doesn't cater to me but they won't fix that until they get hit with a phone equivalent of the ADA. I'm also a little angry people think my objections are just meaningless noise and that I should just be a-ok with design that... really serves nobody but decidedly harms people like me.)

It's tough to imagine the person behind text on a forum and sympathize with them. It's easy to dish out tone deaf advice. All you're likely to get here is a small amount of the former and a lot of the latter. I'm sorry society is so garbage at looking after anyone that's not part of a large and/or monied group. It sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm also a little angry people think my objections are just meaningless noise and that I should just be a-ok with design that... really serves nobody but decidedly harms people like me.

I'm on your side, I just don't know what to do about it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Proteus Jones posted:

But without a hand, won't the watch just slide off his arm?

I mean I'm picturing using it with my nose here. Genius, really. Steve you've done it again!

Weedle posted:

seems reasonable to infer from this post that you have one usable hand

Except that doesn't mean I can't use even a large phone. I can just tape a gorillapod to my bad arm or I can place it down somewhere. With the SE2020 size I can just barely, if uncomfortably, use it fully one handed if I just assume I never need the left edge and turn reachability on.

Or more likely just do what I've done thus far when I need the extra precision - just wrap a wrist strap around my wrist and just let it be there like the dumbest wristwatch.

But reasonable thing is to not assume things about someone else's disability. It's really the only reasonable thing. Because making such assumptions means you're often wrong and always an rear end in a top hat.

dissss posted:

A reasonable size screen serves almost everybody though

The SE2016's screen size is reasonable enough and honestly if I had a slightly thicker SE2016 with more texture, more battery and a newer chip I'd go "there, perfect". Okay so not perfect but a massive improvement over even the SE2020.

Apple hasn't actually had the 8 form factor and the 5S form factor compete so even their data is incomplete. Given their giant sales figures there's definitely space for both form factors, so it's all up to Apple wanting to keep their product lineup small.

But I was more talking about the glass backing as opposed to a textured backing with some proper grip.

Mr. Fix It posted:

It's tough to imagine the person behind text on a forum and sympathize with them. It's easy to dish out tone deaf advice. All you're likely to get here is a small amount of the former and a lot of the latter. I'm sorry society is so garbage at looking after anyone that's not part of a large and/or monied group. It sucks.

Gotta speak up sometimes or otherwise people keep ignoring that we exist. And I don't even have it bad, so I'll suck it up and use whatever the majority is buying now because there's little I can do to reverse these trends, but I'll be damned if I try to pretend I'm okay with doing so.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

But reasonable thing is to not assume things about someone else's disability. It's really the only reasonable thing. Because making such assumptions means you're often wrong and always an rear end in a top hat.

you can't drop a series of little clues about your situation and then get mad when someone pieces together a reasonable conclusion based on the information you provided. sorry. if you don't want people to make assumptions you could be more straightforward about what makes your situation unique. it's hard to factor someone's disability into a discussion where it's relevant when we don't know what it is

endlessmonotony posted:

Apple hasn't actually had the 8 form factor and the 5S form factor compete so even their data is incomplete. Given their giant sales figures there's definitely space for both form factors, so it's all up to Apple wanting to keep their product lineup small.

the 5/5s form factor and the 6/7/8 form factor were sold simultaneously for four years

Weedle fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 9, 2020

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

JnnyThndrs posted:

I just can’t see very many people going back to a smaller phone after having more screen real estate, and yes, I understand the small hands/pockets, etc. issue.
This is where I'm at. I like the idea of the iPhone SE 2.0, but I'm currently using a phone with a 5.93" screen. That's a lot of screen real estate give up and there's currently no way for me to handle one in a store.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Weedle posted:

you can't drop a series of little clues about your situation and then get mad when someone pieces together a reasonable conclusion based on the information you provided. sorry. if you don't want people to make assumptions you could be more straightforward about what makes your situation unique

Maybe my health condition is actually not really any business of yours and I only revealed what I did to give further context to what I said. Maybe assuming it meant more than I said is just an rear end in a top hat thing to do.

Making guesses about someone else's disability is an rear end in a top hat thing to do. Trying to defend it makes you an rear end in a top hat too. "sorry."

Weedle posted:

the 5/5s form factor and the 6/7/8 form factor were sold simultaneously for four years

But not directly competing. You'd have a point if one of the base models had the 5S form factor and the Plus had a bigger one, or if a model had three.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

Maybe my health condition is actually not really any business of yours and I only revealed what I did to give further context to what I said. Maybe assuming it meant more than I said is just an rear end in a top hat thing to do.

Making guesses about someone else's disability is an rear end in a top hat thing to do. Trying to defend it makes you an rear end in a top hat too. "sorry."

you're baiting people into guessing so you can get mad but ok

endlessmonotony posted:

But not directly competing. You'd have a point if one of the base models had the 5S form factor and the Plus had a bigger one, or if a model had three.

the iphone se had exactly the same specs as the iphone 6s other than screen size and battery life and they were sold simultaneously for two and a half years

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Weedle posted:

you're baiting people into guessing so you can get mad but ok

I'm not. You still don't know what my disability is and that's because I do not want to disclose it and the reason I've been giving as little detail as I can is because I do not want to tell you what it is. Someone not wanting to tell you their disability isn't an invitation to start guessing as if it's your natural entitlement to know what indignities someone else has to face in their daily lives.

All that's relevant here is that it makes two-handed use of a phone difficult-to-impossible and would make me really appreciate more grip so I could grip the phone when using it one-handed better. More grip means it's easier to use less of my hand holding it and more manipulating it, smaller screen means I reach better.

As such I'm not a great big fan of phones too large to use one-handed and that will continue until Apple invents either the cure for what I have... or alternatively a floating phone I don't have to hold.

... frankly I'd be all about that latter one.

Weedle posted:

the iphone se had exactly the same specs as the iphone 6s other than screen size and battery life and they were sold simultaneously for two and a half years

There's a pretty massive price difference at play there skewing their data, as well as the later release of one.

... but point nonetheless.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Like I dunno what to tell you man but it ain’t gonna happen.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm not. You still don't know what my disability is and that's because I do not want to disclose it and the reason I've been giving as little detail as I can is because I do not want to tell you what it is. Someone not wanting to tell you their disability isn't an invitation to start guessing as if it's your natural entitlement to know what indignities someone else has to face in their daily lives.

All that's relevant here is that it makes two-handed use of a phone difficult-to-impossible and would make me really appreciate more grip so I could grip the phone when using it one-handed better. More grip means it's easier to use less of my hand holding it and more manipulating it, smaller screen means I reach better.

As such I'm not a great big fan of phones too large to use one-handed and that will continue until Apple invents either the cure for what I have... or alternatively a floating phone I don't have to hold.

... frankly I'd be all about that latter one.

There's a pretty massive price difference at play there skewing their data, as well as the later release of one.

... but point nonetheless.

i'm just confused because you literally said "i do not have two hands" and then got mad at the guy who "assumed" you have one hand :confused:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

MarcusSA posted:

Perhaps, but something is more likely to happen if these complaints are voiced than not.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

Perhaps, but something is more likely to happen if these complaints are voiced than not.

More likely that an accessory is made vs a whole phone designed around an incredibly small segment of the market.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Weedle posted:

i'm just confused because you literally said "i do not have two hands" and then got mad at the guy who "assumed" you have one hand :confused:

I was angry about his assumption that it meant I can't use the SE2020.

I can, if barely, one-hand the SE2020. Not even all that barely if I mod a case with a popsocket and some grip tape.

I can also just use a loving stand. Or that Gorillapod. Which is incidentally why I'd like the iPhone's screen to do 180 degree rotation, from way back.

... and his suggestion of Android STILL doesn't solve my problems because if I want something that'll get updates for a half-decent time I'm faced with the same dearth of any half-decent choices. Palm? Yeah right. That thing's a turd and everyone knows it.

MarcusSA posted:

Eh I wager there's like 50%/50% odds the fad of smaller phones comes back, they were going in that direction before we got to the current browsing era. Not that I'll wait getting new hardware until then - you gotta play with the cards you're dealt and if it's all big screens I'll find a way to use a big screen.

It wouldn't surprise me if the future fashion were phones you can comfortably one-hand. Maybe not the Nokia's Dumb Candybar (the 7280) design though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

JnnyThndrs posted:

I really liked the 5/5S form factor and kept mine for longer than usual before upgrading to an 8 then an 11, but recently I had to use my dad’s 5S* and holy shitballs is it miserable to use now.

Either UI’s have changed or I just got used to a larger screen, but I can’t imagine using that small of a screen for anything but the most basic of phone functions. I just can’t see very many people going back to a smaller phone after having more screen real estate, and yes, I understand the small hands/pockets, etc. issue.

I have a SE on 9 and a SE on 12.something and it's mostly the UI that's changed.

The one on 9 looks nicer, runs faster, and keeps apps in RAM for more than one microsecond. (The 3 apps that still run on 9, of course.)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

MarcusSA posted:

More likely that an accessory is made vs a whole phone designed around an incredibly small segment of the market.

Phones you can comfortably one-hand aren't really all that tiny a market segment.

There's plenty of jobs and situations where you'd want to keep a hand free - or have a hand occupied.

Sure enough, "people who only have one functional hand" are a tiny group, but when you add everyone else who could use that functionality it's at least a decent chunk of the market - probably not one big enough Apple would ignore the group that wants bigger screens, but they have plenty of market share to split it among a few groups, as they're already sort-of doing with the normal/plus division.

... and they can entirely toss the people who want glass backs into the garbage that's Jony and his personal backing team of Posers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Friends, if you want a small phone, I have found it. The Unihertz Atom has a tiny 2.45 inch screen, is more than double the thickness of an iPhone SE1 for an easy grip, has a headphone jack AND USB-C, and almost 400 maH more battery than the SE1. Hours of battery life? Friends, this should be measured in days. The tough plastic casing will definitely not break or shatter, and certainly grippier than an unadorned modern iPhone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

endlessmonotony posted:

Phones you can comfortably one-hand aren't really all that tiny a market segment.

They are if it has a significant negative impact on the rest of the user experience.

Anyway I have no issues using my 7 Plus one handed and my partner with small hands was fine with the regular 6/7/8 size, sure the reachability gesture was needed a lot of the time but that's a worthwhile tradeoff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Friends, if you want a small phone, I have found it. The Unihertz Atom has a tiny 2.45 inch screen, is more than double the thickness of an iPhone SE1 for an easy grip, has a headphone jack AND USB-C, and almost 400 maH more battery than the SE1. Hours of battery life? Friends, this should be measured in days. The tough plastic casing will definitely not break or shatter, and certainly grippier than an unadorned modern iPhone.

It’s not even expensive.

$250.

I’m sure it’s not amazing but it seems ok for what it’s advertised for. :shrug:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Og SE still works well, try and find a new one somewhere if you want to keep going with small phones. Standby battery is still great, it just drains faster than you're probably used to when doing something like streaming music where the small display isn't helpful. Dunno about other people, but mine with like new battery health and set up fresh, no years old backup cruft to make things lovely, still runs great.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

sourdough posted:

Og SE still works well, try and find a new one somewhere if you want to keep going with small phones. Standby battery is still great, it just drains faster than you're probably used to when doing something like streaming music where the small display isn't helpful. Dunno about other people, but mine with like new battery health and set up fresh, no years old backup cruft to make things lovely, still runs great.

Guess what I'm using despite opportunities to upgrade.

And I'll probably just do some dumb tape solution to make the SE2020 work for me once SE2016 gets support dropped.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I am confused. Apple isn’t ignoring the small phone market. They released the original SE and now an updated SE. They are clearly maintaining a small phone model. :confused:

My wife is small and has small hands and likes a small phone so she replaced her old 7 with the new SE and is happy.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 9, 2020

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

cowofwar posted:

I am confused. Apple isn’t ignoring the small phone market. They released the original SE and now an updated SE. They are clearly maintaining a small phone model. :confused:

My wife is small and has small hands and likes a small phone so she replaced her old 7 with the new SE and is happy.

The definition of small phone is shifting, though. The 2016 SE is significantly smaller than the 2020 SE. I had the 2016 SE for 3 years and it was fine. You just couldn't type as fast as with larger phones, which I perceived as good because I'm old fashioned and I prefer calling over texting and I don't want to write emails on my phone anyway.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Where can I buy an iPhone for people with a monster cock?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Absolutely the wrong place to ask.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I’m typing this post on my 11 Pro Max with one hand and jacking off my monster dong with the other. This is great.

Weedle posted:

This is a good lesson on how being disabled doesn’t mean you can’t be an rear end in a top hat.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 9, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

I’m typing this post on my 11 Pro Max with one hand and jacking off my monster song with the other. This is great.

As god intended.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

MarcusSA posted:

As god intended.

Stupid auto correct replaced dong with song. Hard to make edits one handed.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Oops I dropped my monster phone for my magnum dong

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

silence_kit posted:

My man

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

endlessmonotony posted:

There's plenty of jobs and situations where you'd want to keep a hand free - or have a hand occupied.

Sure enough, "people who only have one functional hand" are a tiny group, but when you add everyone else who could use that functionality it's at least a decent chunk of the market - probably not one big enough Apple would ignore the group that wants bigger screens, but they have plenty of market share to split it among a few groups, as they're already sort-of doing with the normal/plus division.

... and they can entirely toss the people who want glass backs into the garbage that's Jony and his personal backing team of Posers.

Yeah, I totally missed the “only have one hand part,” so for what it’s worth, sorry that it’s more difficult.

That said, unfortunately point stands, Apple (and others) aren’t gonna make a phone smaller than the new SE. Apple in particular seems to make a lot of decisions based off of using and re using parts in China, which would logically make sense that both the prior and current SE are essentially recycled designs. They haven’t made the 5 design in years, so that’s probably more expensive than just continuing to use the iPhone 7/8 design.

My only other input: people do adapt to what the scenario is, so not to downplay any disability, but I do legit feel you would be able to adapt and eventually be comfortable with the iPhone SE size vs old SE size.

silence_kit posted:

:perfect:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I totally missed the “only have one hand part,” so for what it’s worth, sorry that it’s more difficult.

Thank you.

I'll adapt, I always do, it's just gonna look stupid as hell and use a lot of hockey tape. All I have to do even in the worst case is to find a place to sit down and place the thing on my lap.

Doesn't mean that I'm not frustrated with the way the available models seem to be shifting out of comfort range. And telling me to go Android is just weak trolling. Android's so fragmented you have about a dozen options for devices that get support, they're all larger than the SE2020 and Android's accessibility options are even worse than on iOS. I've got perfectly valid reasons to want smaller screens, so do millions of others.

And yes, I realize I'm not getting them until the design trend for smaller devices comes back around.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Apple will never release a smaller phone again significantly smaller than the iPhone 8 form factor. Period. Especially not in a market where there's still a push for larger and larger phones in smaller bodies. Maybe there will be a smaller screen OLED bezel-less style phone someday, but it will likely have a 5" or larger display, nowhere near a tiny 4" screen. Bitching forever on the internet about not being able to buy an updated 5S in 2020 when it's unpopular and unwanted by the vast, vast majority of users will change absolutely nothing and just makes you look like a miserable jerk. Take a chill pill and calm down.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

silence_kit posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The iPhone Thread: Oops I dropped my monster phone for my magnum dong

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Apple will never release a smaller phone again significantly smaller than the iPhone 8 form factor. Period. Especially not in a market where there's still a push for larger and larger phones in smaller bodies. Maybe there will be a smaller screen OLED bezel-less style phone someday, but it will likely have a 5" or larger display, nowhere near a tiny 4" screen. Bitching forever on the internet about not being able to buy an updated 5S in 2020 when it's unpopular and unwanted by the vast, vast majority of users will change absolutely nothing and just makes you look like a miserable jerk. Take a chill pill and calm down.
i'm on the opposite side of this whole debate (as in i can't find a phone big enough, please let me sidetalk on an ipad) but in endlessmonotony's case, i think it's okay to be what appears to be mildly frustrated that an industry is moving further and further away from their physical capabilities to wield. not to talk for them too much, but i'm at least willing to cut them some slack that it's probably tiring as poo poo to have to search high and low, fight for basic accommodations, and put up with people making fun of your disability (in this thread!!).

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 10, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

We’ll get smaller phones again someday once foldable displays are more reliable and affordable.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I will never stop complaining about nothing having small phones

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I used to be a small phone wanter and didn't want anything bigger than the original SE, but then I got the 8 and realized its the perfect size. Like, unless you have literal child-sized hands, it is the perfect size, I promise you.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

and just makes you look like a miserable jerk. Take a chill pill and calm down.

Don’t think it’s them that looks like a jerk here. Also there have been way more posts complaining about the complaint than anything else.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I got some TOUGH NEWS for you BITCHERS. It ain’t happening, PERIOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
You can all thank the capitalist hellhole that’s the first world, Apple will only chase the demographics and features that earn them large bags of money.

Maybe if you can get on the news and come up with a sob story about how large phones killed your dog or something companies would listen, but at this point any posting about phone sizes is just monotonous noise.

So basically, it sucks and I’m sorry it sucks, but:

Charles posted:

I'm on your side, I just don't know what to do about it.

MarcusSA posted: