Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bell jar posted:

gently caress Youths And Deny

:five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Assessor of Maat posted:

interesting of you to complain about a lack of clear convictions on the left, mr. "bill gates is a land of contrasts"

Really makes you think doesn’t it

Or perhaps I was drawing a direct comparison to how us in the left are aiming at the wrong targets sometimes

No you got me I’m a fash

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

I read that Bill Gates's wealth is still increasing even though he's retired - he's giving away less than he earns in interest, dividends, etc. Okay maybe that's no longer true with the dip in the stock market from Coronavirus, but anyway he's not giving away a huge proportion of his wealth.

I also saw part of a documentary on him where he was really looking into all the things he was contributing to, like trying to understand all the biology. It seems like being a huge nerd and insisting on knowing all the details of what you're donating to isn't very efficient. Maybe that's not how he does everything though :shrug:

It's better than nothing, which seems to be what a lot of them are doing with their wealth, but he's not really making many sacrifices there - he's not reducing his net worth and he's not really releasing control of the money very much either.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

teacup posted:

us in the left

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Oof

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/mattjcan/status/1259054415299833856?s=20

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Putting on a hi-vis to install a clothesline in his back yard

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

teacup posted:

No you got me I’m a fash

Well, courteous of you to come out and admit it I suppose.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
There’s a whole fuckload to unpack in that one garbage tweet

A Wild Animal
Dec 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My Hills Hoist is a Chinese Spy.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
...why the gently caress is there a pick in that photo

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

There’s a whole fuckload to unpack in that one garbage tweet

(and that’s okay)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

GotLag posted:

His mattock was also a Chinese spy

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

GotLag posted:

It's spelt "prick"

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Gotta dig the hole for the clothesline. He appears to have dug it in the wrong place just next to where it needed to go and then didn’t bother to fill in the mistake.

Also wearing shorts on a job site instead of full length pants, no head protection, no SWMS submitted before works began - I can’t sign off on this work order

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Powered by renewables.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

All the chat about billionaires you would think they are anything more than pocket change in world economics.

It was alluded to earlier but to restate, the US defense department; one government department of one country, likely comfortably spends more money each year (0.6 - 0.85 trillion USD, approx a trillion Aussie) than all the worlds billionaires combined.

People hate on Gates in particular because he spends money in Africa rather then on GOP heartland and their cheer squad has managed to rope in a surprisingly large amount of the world facebook population.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

A Wild Animal posted:

My Hills Hoist is a Chinese Spy.

The Hills have eyes

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Electric Wrigglies posted:

All the chat about billionaires you would think they are anything more than pocket change in world economics.

It was alluded to earlier but to restate, the US defense department; one government department of one country, likely comfortably spends more money each year (0.6 - 0.85 trillion USD, approx a trillion Aussie) than all the worlds billionaires combined.

People hate on Gates in particular because he spends money in Africa rather then on GOP heartland and their cheer squad has managed to rope in a surprisingly large amount of the world facebook population.

Hot take: billionaires existing is bad, spending trillions on defence... is also bad

Endman
May 18, 2010

It’s also worth noting that while Bill Gates extracts value from the economy in order to spend on his pet projects, defence contracts add considerable value to the US economy via the enormous arms industry that employs hundreds of thousands inside the US.

I don’t support spending bazillions on arms, but it’s one industry that hasn’t been ruthlessly outsourced.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Well yes, how else do you think a billionaire would become and stay a billionaire?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Referring to the US DoD as one department of one government sure is a reasonable and good faith way to suck billionaire dick

Endman
May 18, 2010

Bringing up government departments in any nominally democratic nation in order to downplay the power of billionaires also makes no sense.

The whole problem with billionaires is that they can exercise the power inherent in having billions of dollars in a unilateral and large unaccountable way, unlike a government you get to vote for.

Now this does arguably fall to pieces when you consider the two party systems of the US, Britain and Aus where both major parties are basically identical in economic policy, but you get the point.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Speaking of major parties and the defence industry:

https://twitter.com/IllyBocean/status/1259246992334573568?s=20

:thunk:

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

the US defense department; one government department of one country, likely comfortably spends more money each year (0.6 - 0.85 trillion USD, approx a trillion Aussie) than all the worlds billionaires combined.

Is the US DoD not the highest spending entity in the world? Seems like a weird example.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Putin probably has more money than the billionaires on the richest people lists, but he like the other people with more money than Bill Gates and Bezos keep it a secret.

Endman
May 18, 2010

According to a whistleblower the Church of Latter-Day Saints has an astonishingly huge amount of money they will never declare they have.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well they have a generation ship to build

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Endman posted:

Speaking of major parties and the defence industry:

https://twitter.com/IllyBocean/status/1259246992334573568?s=20

:thunk:

Well nothing improves my health quite like fat stacks of cash from the military-industrial complex or whatever we're calling it now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Well nothing improves my health quite like fat stacks of cash from the military-industrial complex or whatever we're calling it now.

Sorry why isn't he allowed to work out of the public eye?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Sorry why isn't he allowed to work out of the public eye?

I think in this instance it's more a case of him saying "I'm leaving Parliament due to health issues" and then immediately heading up some operation for the seppo military. Seems a bit farcical. If he'd just resigned like "I've served long enough" or some bullshit it would be less so

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

I think in this instance it's more a case of him saying "I'm leaving Parliament due to health issues" and then immediately heading up some operation for the seppo military. Seems a bit farcical. If he'd just resigned like "I've served long enough" or some bullshit it would be less so

Mike Kelly has pretty severe health complications from military service.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
I'd be surprised if Kelly does much "work" apart from peddling access to parliamentarians.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mr Chips posted:

I'd be surprised if Kelly does much "work" apart from peddling access to parliamentarians.

I think his job will cut in both directions. He has pretty valuable and unique experience given the nature of the business.

I actually think some of the stuff Palantir make is really cool.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

GotLag posted:

First response I saw to an FB comment like this - "Well what would YOU wear to do it?!" as though hi vis is the only work gear that exists.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

TheMostFrench posted:

First response I saw to an FB comment like this - "Well what would YOU wear to do it?!" as though hi vis is the only work gear that exists.

On a friend's post mocking it, their uncle saying that the poor bloke has obviously installed it after coming home from work and didn't get changed and that it's telling that the left are looking down on someone who wears hi vis to work.

Friend asked him if he knew what the poor bloke did for work and was told "unlike you I don't cyber stalk people just because I disagree with them".

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

GotLag posted:

Mate he is from Rocky. We all have high vis for yard work. It's just a thing you have. Pick em up cheap on surplus from Totally Workwear and let everyone else in the Bunnings gardening checkout line know you're not a total amateur in the back yard.

I actually need a new one because my old one got a bit wet concrete soaked and I tossed it rather than risk the washing machine.

So ATM inside a ratty old tshirt.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 10, 2020

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Yes because a loving clothesline is a great present for a woman

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I once saw a man in rocky burn the edges of his lawn instead of use a whippersnipper.

Good times.

e. I don't remember if he was wearing hi vis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm not surprised that Canavan has a loving ugly half done backyard