Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gologle posted:

Flip phones were cool, there, I said it.

they were a real relief for people with compulsive manual behaviors, that's for sure

flip open, flip closed, clicky-clack, clicky-clack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Roche is the jovial counterpart to Cloud, always appearing as a challenger but never with truly malicious intent. He's a great addition. You just know that in the end he's going to do you a solid. I have no doubt he will pop up in further installments

I get really frustrated with online reviewers who argue that any addition to the game is horrible "padding" without pausing to consider whether they make the game more fun.

Roche may not be critical to then plot, but he was a blast and gave us more details on what SOLDIERS might be like.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Roche is exactly what the new content should be, a brief glimpse at some other aspect of the world that doesn't overstay its welcome, but is memorable enough for you to want more. I am baffled that they made a motorcycle guy and didn't use him for the final stretch though.

It also helped that his design looked like it fit in well enough, unlike someone like like Leslie who would fit better in XV.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oxxidation posted:

they were a real relief for people with compulsive manual behaviors, that's for sure

flip open, flip closed, clicky-clack, clicky-clack

I genuinely broke a phone because of this.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

stev posted:

I genuinely broke a phone because of this.

When I worked in a phone shop the most returned phone was the Motorola Razr V3 because people kept leaving them open and then sitting on them(?)

Werewolf of London
Feb 23, 2010

Not one step back
From my loooove~~

Dell_Zincht posted:

Luckily Square apologized for that and reversed it in Crisis Core.

I honestly think that the FF7 Remake ending is to clear the entire slate. From now on, no need to worry about the light novels, Advent Children, or any of the spinoff games.

I am so excited.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Don't worry, GACKT will return in Avengers: Final Fantasy 7 Remake 2

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

SoldadoDeTone posted:

I get really frustrated with online reviewers who argue that any addition to the game is horrible "padding" without pausing to consider whether they make the game more fun.

Roche may not be critical to then plot, but he was a blast and gave us more details on what SOLDIERS might be like.

Yeah the whole Roche/Jessie's parents sequence was exactly what additional content should be, and it puzzles me that Roche basically disappears from the game after that point and didn't at least get a cameo in the escape from the Shinra building.

Aside from some aesthetic choices in the final chapter, the only bit of additional content I didn't care for really was the Drum. I get why they put a new mini-dungeon there, you've only just gotten Aerith back after an extended absence and Red XIII has just joined you so they should be given a chance to strut their stuff, but it totally kills the pacing. Like, Avalanche is supposed to be actively assaulting the building to buy you precious minutes to get outta there and you're just wandering around a twisted maze at a frustratingly slow pace solving door puzzles.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Well duh, i'm guessing Gaia's supply of phones were made in Midgar and Midgar got destroyed by meteor

Nah, Cloud and Tifa are using a constant supply of burners because what he delivers are drugs.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
A trade he picked up from Aerith.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah the whole Roche/Jessie's parents sequence was exactly what additional content should be, and it puzzles me that Roche basically disappears from the game after that point and didn't at least get a cameo in the escape from the Shinra building.

Aside from some aesthetic choices in the final chapter, the only bit of additional content I didn't care for really was the Drum. I get why they put a new mini-dungeon there, you've only just gotten Aerith back after an extended absence and Red XIII has just joined you so they should be given a chance to strut their stuff, but it totally kills the pacing. Like, Avalanche is supposed to be actively assaulting the building to buy you precious minutes to get outta there and you're just wandering around a twisted maze at a frustratingly slow pace solving door puzzles.

Not to mention the Drum is kinda where the cracks in the late-game encounter design really start to show through.

I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to avoid the part where the whackamole men just electrify the entire battlefield.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Elemental Lightning on armor, then it does nothing. Or actively heals you, depending on how much you've leveled it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, that doesn't really help me in the fight itself when I don't know it's coming, now does it

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gologle posted:

Don't worry, GACKT will return in Avengers: Final Fantasy 7 Remake 2

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, that doesn't really help me in the fight itself when I don't know it's coming, now does it

The first runthrough is basically full of moments like these, you have to remember them for hard mode because that poo poo will fry you otherwise. Stick some elemental thunder on your armor and go to town.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The first runthrough is basically full of moments like these, you have to remember them for hard mode because that poo poo will fry you otherwise. Stick some elemental thunder on your armor and go to town.

And see, that's kind of the issue because I'm probably not gonna do a hard mode run, so it doesn't do much for me except be super frustrating.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I also beat it last night. Awesome game but, what was it about the ending that had some people upset? The Zack stuff?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I also beat it last night. Awesome game but, what was it about the ending that had some people upset? The Zack stuff?

[ gestures vaguely, mumbling something about Kingdom Hearts ]

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Waffleman_ posted:

And see, that's kind of the issue because I'm probably not gonna do a hard mode run, so it doesn't do much for me except be super frustrating.

either the game surprises you by having fights where specific materia will help, or it doesn't and materia is meaningless

I prefer the former

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I think the game balances it fairly well - you can get away with haphazard materia combinations on your first playthrough, but on hard you have to think about what you need for certain situations, as well as having the ability to come up with lightbulb moments and inspired decisions where certain materia combinations give you an outsized advantage (such as using elemental+lightning on armor to negate a lot of the scorpion guard's harder hitting attacks)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Roche is the jovial counterpart to Cloud, always appearing as a challenger but never with truly malicious intent. He's a great addition. You just know that in the end he's going to do you a solid. I have no doubt he will pop up in further installments

Yeah he just makes you smile when he shows up because he's a goofus maloofus but a very enjoyable one.

Veib posted:

Ah so that's who runs over Palmer

And then he joins the party...YES I like it!

BaDandy posted:

Yeah, it's a good bit of world building that puts into perspective how...naive? of an idea it was for Sephiroth to be like "Yeah I'm probably going to quit after this mission." Like bitch, how? What else are you going to do? What other things are any of them going to do that doesn't involve combat? Roche is actually a really good answer to that question and he works really well as a rival who somehow avoids dying and keeps coming back at random moments.

He becomes a flower seller in Midgar duh.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Other than Zack being present way before he's established I'm not sure what there is to be annoyed about concerning him. When I was first watching the cutscenes it looked like he was somehow going to survive, but then they show him dragging Cloud which just told me that scene isn't over yet, and he's still going to die. Narratively it makes sense that in the next game or whenever that twist is shown, we see the final part of that flashback and it shows what happened to him.

The main issue I have with the ending is that it's a climax in a place that doesn't really deserve one. Like the motorcycle stuff was perfectly fine and maybe they could have put in a Sephiroth boss, but the whole thing about fighting the Whispers for good right then and there just felt undeserved and rushed. Like they wanted to have this climactic fight but didn't really build up to it. If this exact same scene had happened at the end of part 2 or something (assuming it's going to be three parts) then I wouldn't be nearly as bothered.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Momomo posted:

Other than Zack being present way before he's established I'm not sure what there is to be annoyed about concerning him. When I was first watching the cutscenes it looked like he was somehow going to survive, but then they show him dragging Cloud which just told me that scene isn't over yet, and he's still going to die. Narratively it makes sense that in the next game or whenever that twist is shown, we see the final part of that flashback and it shows what happened to him.

The main issue I have with the ending is that it's a climax in a place that doesn't really deserve one. Like the motorcycle stuff was perfectly fine and maybe they could have put in a Sephiroth boss, but the whole thing about fighting the Whispers for good right then and there just felt undeserved and rushed. Like they wanted to have this climactic fight but didn't really build up to it. If this exact same scene had happened at the end of part 2 or something (assuming it's going to be three parts) then I wouldn't be nearly as bothered.

The devs have basically confirmed that Zack survives- maybe not in the prime timeline or dimension, but he lives. They're not going to give a "just kidding he got shot after all" when the next game starts. That would be very dumb.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Well, they must have wanted the "defy fate, from now on we're free from predestination" at the end of parte one. But I agree that it felt a little rushed, the final confrontation could've been built up better

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So buffs don't ever wear off enemies? Doing these simulator missions and it's very cool to have an enemy halfway through that is immune to physical attacks and can also cast reflect, meaning I apparently just can't do anything to damage it unless I knew to bring the dispel materia in advance.

So far all the others have been brute-forceable even if you didn't bring the optimal stuff, but this one is just bullshit.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
If you need or want to change your loadout for a fight you can just pause and restart right before the fight. It's a little more annoying for arena fights because you have to start over from the beginning but those are optional challenges anyways

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

The only part of the game that sucked was switching back and forth between the parties and reqequipping all the good leveled materia because I diddnt have enough to deck out all four party members.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Roche feels like FF7 Gilgamesh

Enkidu is his bike

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Roche feels like FF7 Gilgamesh

Enkidu is his bike

His eyeliner is more on point tho

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I felt the side quests could have been handled better, I got sick of 'em when they ruined the tension of arriving at wall market to rescue tifa. Having them offered up in chunks every few chapters felt very mechanical, but was tolerable until that specific point.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Freakazoid_ posted:

I felt the side quests could have been handled better, I got sick of 'em when they ruined the tension of arriving at wall market to rescue tifa. Having them offered up in chunks every few chapters felt very mechanical, but was tolerable until that specific point.

I mean, even in the original game, you arrive at Wall Market and then faff about doing squats and picking up items from a vending machine and delivering medicine to people throwing up in the bathroom. It certainly didn't feel like a high urgency situation in either version.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Momomo posted:

What? No, he was supposed to die in the "last stand" fight but he didn't. Zack is alive but in a different timeline.

The big thing going forward is how they're going to deal with multiple timestreams, and whether Aerith's fate has been truly changed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's not multiple timelines, they changed the one

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I hope Gilgamesh finds a way into the later parts.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I guess we'll find out for sure in the next game!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

theres only 2 side quests in wall market

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

that you can do on any given playthrough i mean

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

cloud & friends had a very busy night

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Some information that got translated about SOLDIER and degradation.

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1259026837767778304

Apparently only soldiers that got injected with G cells degenerate over time S cell recipients (like Zack and Cloud) are stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yes, that's a plot point in Crisis Core itself.