Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

2011:
ARMA: Cold War Assault (a re-release of Operation Flashpoint, since Codemasters retained the rights to that name)
Battlefield 3
Breach
Brink
Bulletstorm
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Juarez: The Cartel
Crysis 2
Conduit 2
Dead Island
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Duke Nukem Forever
F.E.A.R. 3
Hard Reset
Homefront
Killzone 3
Operation Flashpoint: Red River
Payday: The Heist
Portal 2
Rage
Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad
Resistance 3
Serious Sam 3: BFE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I probably don't have the time to post more lists, I will likely be away until we get to THE FUTURE (page 2021 onwards). If you still really want them, Wikipedia has the master list.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 9, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I really liked Bulletstorm, I think it's a shame we'll probably never get a sequel. I also really liked Rage, though I know I'm in the minority there. As I said, I largely enjoyed FEAR 3, at least until the story just shits itself. I'm a bit more positive on DNF than most, but gently caress, it really wasn't worth the wait.

Other than that, I played but never finished Crysis 2, Dead Island, Serious Sam 3, and Human Revolution. It's weird, I don't think I think of any of these games coming out in the same year. I really wanted to like Crysis 2 and Dead Island more than I did (and yet, I'm still stinging about Hellraid...). Serious Sam just isn't my cup of tea. Human Revolution is good but I just keep on getting distracted and end up having to restart. But there is a gold filter mod for the Director's Cut, I'd like to check that out, but I gather I'm in the minority that liked it (I liked the filters in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and was disappointed when CSI New York got rid of theirs, so... hm. Weird). Oh, Hard Reset, I played a bit of Redux but also haven't been back to it lately.

I tried to play Brink when it went free to play, I mean poo poo, that's a free idTech4 campaign, of sorts, right there, but it would refuse to start and I didn't want to bother figuring out what was wrong so I never played it.

Edit: how could I forget the best thing about Dead Island, the song Who Do You Voodoo, Bitch?

catlord fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 9, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Currently playing through vanilla Heretic. My nostalgia went into a catatonic overload, when Weezer's Buddy Holly fired up in the middle of E1M2. :allears:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

There isn't really much point in posting them after this year anyway, we're waaaaay out of the weeds of "early FPS" already. Barring, of course, the few games that tried to revive the game design of that era, like Dusk, Amid Evil or, to a lesser extent, the new Dooms.

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

Is Strafe any good?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

thicc_waluigi posted:

Is Strafe any good?

I thought it was good when they patched it but other people seemed to not like it at all. Just some mindless shooting fun with normal rouge-lite stuff mixed in.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mierenneuker posted:

2011:
ARMA: Cold War Assault (a re-release of Operation Flashpoint, since Codemasters retained the rights to that name)
Battlefield 3
Breach
Brink
Bulletstorm
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Juarez: The Cartel
Crysis 2
Conduit 2
Dead Island
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Duke Nukem Forever
F.E.A.R. 3
Hard Reset
Homefront
Killzone 3
Operation Flashpoint: Red River
Payday: The Heist
Portal 2
Rage
Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad
Resistance 3
Serious Sam 3: BFE

Battlefield 3 and Bulletstorm were both great, Homefront a lot less so, but I still remember having a decent amount of fun with it's multiplayer

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

thicc_waluigi posted:

Is Strafe any good?

There are a zillion gameplay modifiers so you can pretty much turn it into the game you want. I enjoyed the little bit I played.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
haha brink

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Brink was 2011??? My memory was like 2008 or 2009. What an absolutely disastrous launch.

Duke Nukem Forever is a game I never beat because I played it on the 360 and the one two punch of "see dukes lovely canned broken sunglasses animation" followed by "a minute or so load time to get back to a checkpoint of some of the most perfunctory shooting every released" destroyed my will to play. Something that I feel can never be stressed enough is how mindnumbingly boring the game is to play.

It also doesn't help that health upgrades are all optional which means "Lmao Barudak will never find these" so I was playing the game with like 1/3rd possible max hp.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I was so excited for Brink. I really thought it was gonna be great.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Karasu Tengu posted:

A lot of games tend to avoid gibs because of the effort of making multiple regions, but all the id games had them, and the example timeshift absolutely does have gibs, just only for extreme weapons.

In less fps realms the RE games lately have had very nice gore systems with some gameplay stuff tied to it.

One gib implementation I read had a special case for a fleshy head/skull model that made sure it was looking at the player when it landed. I’m pretty sure it was half-life.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

It flew right at you too, spooky gibs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

thicc_waluigi posted:

Is Strafe any good?

Strafe’s core gameplay is really strong which makes it all the more frustrating they went with a run-based roguelike style. The levels are randomized from modular pieces but always have the same basic layout so it’s even more wild it isn’t a level based shooter. The levels end up really great too, all the frustration is at having to repeat so much of it’s content because permadeath.

The current version fixed a lot of stuff, added a bunch of weird and fun content like an RPG mode, and I genuinely enjoyed the 10 hours I put into it but you’ll still walk away like “this could’ve out-Dusked Dusk if it wasn’t a roguelite.”

E: oh and Strafe weaponizes gibs in a fun way. Some enemies have acidic chunks so you want to lure regular enemies to cover up the acid patches.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Duke Nukem Forever is a game I bought whatever collector's edition of it at launch for PC, got every cheevo in that game, and then got the DLC and got every cheevo in that game as well.

It's a garbage rear end game that serves as a Greatest Hits of the worst FPS design choices of the '00s.

And I played far more of it than I should have because I bet on Duke back in the late '90s, and so I had to cash in out of some morbid sense of purpose or honor or whatever. Don't do what I did.

I'm surprised I still enjoy FPS games.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 9, 2020

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Duke Nukem Forever is a game I bought whatever collector's edition of it at launch for PC, got every cheevo in that game, and then got the DLC and got every cheevo in that game as well.

It's a garbage rear end game that serves as a Greatest Hits of the worst FPS design choices of the '00s.

And I played far more of it than I should have because I bet on Duke back in the late '90s, and so I had to cash in out of some morbid sense of purpose or honor or whatever. Don't do what I did.

I'm surprised I still enjoy FPS games.

genuinely same. we're like those self-flagellating catholics in the seventh seal

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont think it can ever be said enough but level Duke's Titty City is one of the most profoundly sad gaming experiences available on the market.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
as a final gently caress you, georgey boy refuses to give his blessing to any kind of tell all book or something. we can't even get that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

It also doesn't help that health upgrades are all optional which means "Lmao Barudak will never find these" so I was playing the game with like 1/3rd possible max hp.

To get health upgrades you have to do the lovely minigames, which means that the game rewards you for actively ignoring the plot and the main gameplay.

In fact DNF does everything it can to make you avoid its gameplay, what with starting without a weapon, having to do plenty of tedious minigames, going through gimmicky vehicle sections and turret sections... It's like it's aware of how much it sucks as a shooter and wants to spare you the experience. Unfortunately, the non-shooting gameplay is even worse.

And then there's the abysmal writing.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
and recently i learned that there were 3d realms devs who crunched extremely hard on dnf since 1998

it's the most depressing thing

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Project Warlock has actually-designed levels and not RNG stuff, right? I've been playing that and while the weapon impacts feel weak and the Wolf-esque "everything is cubes" look isn't great, the levels seem way more coherently put together than your average indie retro FPS, and the game as a whole is pretty fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want to believe there is a lone dev who george forgot to update back in 1998 about the shift to a new engine who has been working nonstop on duke nukem forever, unaware he was supposed to be fired and his fork of the game canceled. Hes pretty sure its ready to ship by now, but hes not gotten an email about it so he keeps plugging away, adding features and polish.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Barudak posted:

I want to believe there is a lone dev who george forgot to update back in 1998 about the shift to a new engine who has been working nonstop on duke nukem forever, unaware he was supposed to be fired and his fork of the game canceled. Hes pretty sure its ready to ship by now, but hes not gotten an email about it so he keeps plugging away, adding features and polish.

god. the last holdout dev.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Lemon-Lime posted:

Project Warlock has actually-designed levels and not RNG stuff, right? I've been playing that and while the weapon impacts feel weak and the Wolf-esque "everything is cubes" look isn't great, the levels seem way more coherently put together than your average indie retro FPS, and the game as a whole is pretty fun.

Yeah they’re hand built maps, not procedural.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

If I could magically get one version of DNF finished, polished up, and ready to play, it'd be the Quake 2 version. I know it wasn't really developed much, but I kinda wish we'd seen more of the Quake 1 version, too.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
same. i want to see every incarnation of dnf finished. that is my hosed up wish

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Brink :(

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I still have a Brink T-Shirt from Quakecon 09. I can’t believe it didn’t actually release until 2011. I was really pumped for it because of how much I loved Wolf: ET.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I'd love to play the OG versions of Prey.

dmitri
Sep 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
I also remember being disappointed with Brink, but not really the reason for it. What was people's biggest issue with the game?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i never gave a poo poo about DNF when i learned what was shown in these issues of PCGamer wasn't what we were gonna get im still mad

that christmas issue was THICK

and now im thinking how as a kid PCGamer was like 120pages of awesome and then at the rear end end of our subscription it was like maybe 75pages

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

A hilariously '90s bit from that Nov. '97 issues:

Ah, yes, cultural phenomenon Barb Wire.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I remember going into a dentist's office and finding out about the existence of Half-Life 2 from Computer Gaming World's exclusive first look and the front cover was completely blank except for the Lambda logo. I nearly poo poo myself.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

dmitri posted:

I also remember being disappointed with Brink, but not really the reason for it. What was people's biggest issue with the game?

If you put aside the technical issues (like the game not running on half the extant hardware brands or being unable to do online in a multiplayer game) which were largely corrected, the game was just incredibly poorly thought out.

To start, you were expected to build and rank up multiple characters, since each one had a limited amount of skill points that they could put into class abilities and those skill points were necessary for making any class usable. This meant that if your character was specialized as an engineer, you couldn't switch mid-round to a soldier because you'd have no meaningful power with any other class. What made this worse is that multiple objectives in the mission required a specific class to perform an action, and so if nobody joined the server with a character built for infiltrator (and why would you, the class was worthless) then someone would have to cripple themselves mid-mission by switching to a class they couldn't use to complete the objective.

On top of that was the issue of body type. You were also expected to pick your thickness, with bigger characters unlocking bigger weapons but being considerably slower. Now if you remember, Brink's biggest selling point was the mobility and movement of the characters, so including a deliberately sluggish character design seems counter to the game's whole ethos. It ended up not being a problem though, because they hosed the balance so bad that the big and even medium builds had no practical use. The game's most consistent, lethal weapon was a light SMG, and the runner up was another light SMG. Skinny dudes climbing the walls ruled everything.

So even if you've got a best case scenario within these parameters - a pre-organized team of lights with subguns where everyone has their classes arranged for the mission ahead of time - the game was still poo poo because they botched the level balance worse than I've ever seen in any game. Objectives completely out in the open with nothing to hide behind. Tons of choke points with no flanking routes. Attackers on thirty second respawns with their spawn point on the opposite end of the map. Defenders on ten second respawns with their spawn point around the corner from the objective. The levels didn't even feel designed for an online shooter in the first place, with things like cover and firing lines not following the language we're unconsciously used to.

After a couple of months of not fixing any of this poo poo, they released a ten dollar DLC and moved on to other projects. Those of us that pre-ordered Brink got a genuine edition of the "Anger" TF2 sniper hat. Said it then and I'll say it now, there's no more fitting token for a Brink pre-order than Genuine Anger.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

catlord posted:

A hilariously '90s bit from that Nov. '97 issues:

Ah, yes, cultural phenomenon Barb Wire.

My favorite part is how casual he is about firing everyone. Games. Games never change.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The only fun I had with Brink was the one DLC map they released, and thankfully they gave it away free to the people that bought the game early. The Container City map in Brink is very possibly the worst commercial map I've ever played on in any FPS game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So did anyone win the job at Ion Storm?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Brink is a real shame because of how it seemed to spoil a lot of the interest people had in Splash Damage making more objective-based team shooters. Dirty Bomb was a genuinely good game but it never earned a fraction of the attention Brink did. Splash Damage deserves some credit for sticking with DB for so long and making it entirely free when they ended development, and although official servers have shut down, community servers are still kicking off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

When early Dirty Bomb development looked like Brink: But We Fixed It And Made You Buy It Again Hahaha Suckers I dropped Splash Damage hard. I still don't think I've given them any more of my time or money, all these years later.