Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Umineko ep 4 early spoilers: No, I don't like this wild change of pace. Take me back to Rokkenjima! ... sigh. The only reason I'm putting up with it is because Ange has the same motivation as I do - finding out the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The part you are reading is imo the hardest part to get through. I actually gave up at some point 15 minutes before it got really good (I went back eventually). Just a word of encouragement in case you're getting annoyed, because I sure was.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No Wave posted:

The part you are reading is imo the hardest part to get through. I actually gave up at some point 15 minutes before it got really good (I went back eventually). Just a word of encouragement in case you're getting annoyed, because I sure was.

Here's a selfish request - according to this LP I just finished reading chapter 6, and I'm starting chapter 7 of EP 4. Can you estimate when it gets good again? I'm going to keep plowing through, but it would be helpful to know that I need to stick it out to chapter X, be it 10 or 20 or whatever.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

At the latest chapter 22 I think.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No Wave posted:

At the latest chapter 22 I think.

Whoof that's a lot. Okay, thank you. Time to buckle down and read, because damnit I need answers and I won't be defeated by a witch terrible pacing

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Obviously everyone is going to respond differently, but personally I felt the lowest points pacing-wise were chapters 13-16 or so. Once you're past that it may all feel downhill. Or uphill or sideways, depending on your point of view.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

WAIT A MINUTE

maria cannot reference cardcaptor sakura because it hasn't aired yet!!!!!!!!!! It came out in 1998! The plot takes place in the 80s!

(umineko ep 4)
WAIT ANOTHER MINUTE this helps reinforce the no-witches rule, because we never see Sakutaro except through Ange, who may or may not exist, and who is definitely learning about Maria/Sakutaro through wishful thinking. except... the diary...

agh! :argh:

e: oh gently caress, this is why maria believes in witches. stop making me cry, author, I can't handle child abuse...

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 9, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

After reading Umineko 1-4 10 years ago when they were the only things translated, then 5-7 one at a time in Japanese as they came out, I just now finally got around to replaying them all, doing episode 8, and finishing the series.

My thoughts: (umineko 8 spoilers, obviously)

I had enough knowledge to know roughly what was happening for stuff, though there was still a few things I was sketchy on, like the lavish presentation of game 2 twilight 1 or exactly who was or wasn't an accomplice for each game. Especially game 4, since it was hard to say whether a minimum or a maximum of people were accomplices.

Overall I liked 8, even if I generally preferred the non-meta storylines to the meta ones, and 8 was almost entirely meta. I like Ange as a character, but a lot of the main story beats towards the end were things I had kind of predicted 10 years ago back when reading episode 4 so there weren't many surprises there. I had figured something vaguely similar to the Tohya twist were coming, but I do kind of wish they had done it in a somewhat less bittersweet decades-later way.

I was a little frustrated that they didn't really expand on much of the stuff introduced in 7, especially Sayo's motive. It's kind of like, they give you all the pieces and then ask you to put them together for yourself. It works well for the whodunnit and howdunnit, but for the whydunnit I feel like it's more important to actually get it spelled out from the culprit's perspective. All the stuff about their gender dysphoria, hatred towards the adults, pressure from George's dreams of children, disgust at their own body, their association with Kinzo, and their continuing the line of incest was only hinted at or touched on extremely briefly in ep 7, and they didn't really go into it at all in ep 8. It's one thing to know that sort of stuff is there, but without being able to absorb the drama of it more explicitly there's a lack of closure.

I realize R07 was trying to do a thing about there not being only one truth and trying to encourage the reader to not just read but think, but goddammit I thought for ten years and filled much of a notebook with notes and speculation. Give me some payoff already.

Afterwards I read a bunch of the episode 8 manga, including the Confessions of the Golden Witch chapters, and that gave me exactly the sort of closure I was searching for (though I'd still rather get a view of one or more of the games from Sayo's perspective. The process of gaining accomplices and keeping them loyal while more and more people get murdered is kind of only lightly touched upon, when I feel like there's practically a whole game's worth of drama in there. They kind of did it in episode 5, but it wasn't quite the same.)

Anyway, good game, would recommend to others, though in general I thought eps 1-3 were where it was the strongest and the answer arcs weren't as good.

(whole game spoilers just in case it isn't clear, since another poster mentioned something)

As for the whydunnit, most of the stuff strongly hinting at it is in episodes 1-4. Episode 2 specifically is very important in this regard and contains a lot of very strong hints, with Beatrice essentially saying a lot of things directly reflecting their mindset on the situation. The scenes where Beatrice talks to Kanon/Shannon (and also the ones where Shannon and Kanon talk in private) are basically Yasu's internal dialogue. The official manga also makes it explicit in the way you describe (though people are mixed about the specific way it does this), likely due to the high number of people who finished the VN without ever figuring it out (which it's honestly hard to blame them for; I don't think most people would notice unless they replayed previous chapters after doing chapter 7).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 9, 2020

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I actually really liked early chapter 4. Chapter 4 I think was my overall favorite chapter.

I think I will finally have a decent amount of time on the 12th or 13th, and can finally read daily to the end.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Note that the Ytala's post has spoilers for the entirety of Umineko. This may not have been clear since they were worrying an old post when the context right now is chapter 4.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

Note that the Ytala's post has spoilers for the entirety of Umineko. This may not have been clear since they were worrying an old post when the context right now is chapter 4.

No worries, I didn't mouse over it. I'm too busy being sad. I hate this game :(

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I also happen to have started reading Sea Cat the Visual Novel recently. Doesn't seem like it's going to be my jam so far, but if there's ever a time to give something an honest try, it is now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

woodenchicken posted:

I also happen to have started reading Sea Cat the Visual Novel recently. Doesn't seem like it's going to be my jam so far, but if there's ever a time to give something an honest try, it is now.

If you're talking about Umineko, it has an insanely long start. Go until the first murder, at least, then judge it.

e: This took me about 2-3 hours, and I can be more detailed if you need. Just be sure you stick until then - I didn't, and now I'm reading this thing over a year later than I could've. I regret the missed opportunity.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 9, 2020

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's been some murdering going on!

I'm definitely not dropping out until I see an entire episode at least.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

woodenchicken posted:

There's been some murdering going on!

I'm definitely not dropping out until I see an entire episode at least.

Okay, that's a good fair shot, thank you.

Meanwhile in Umineko ep 4 - I went from chapter 7 to chapter 15, and I'm happy to say it's not as slow as I was afraid it would be. It helps that Ange is growing on me as a character, and damnit it all but I'm now invested in her broken timeline. This is a really interesting way for Bern and Lamb to expand the story without getting too far from the central issue, as we're all motivated by the same thing: to find the truth/keep playing the witch's game.

Also the IRL social issues with child abuse and high school-age girls being total assholes are awful and well-written. :(

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay, that's a good fair shot, thank you.

Meanwhile in Umineko ep 4 - I went from chapter 7 to chapter 15, and I'm happy to say it's not as slow as I was afraid it would be. It helps that Ange is growing on me as a character, and damnit it all but I'm now invested in her broken timeline. This is a really interesting way for Bern and Lamb to expand the story without getting too far from the central issue, as we're all motivated by the same thing: to find the truth/keep playing the witch's game.

Also the IRL social issues with child abuse and high school-age girls being total assholes are awful and well-written. :(

Ryukishi07 used to be a social worker, and supposedly based a lot of stuff off of things he experienced at his old job.

also like i said the closed room circle is my favorite closed room mystery in fiction. it's so elegant.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Started playing Birth ME Code. Some thoughts - spoilers for endings 277, 278 and 279.

Interesting that the game makes it clear what the connection between the players is right at the start - that tends to be a mid / late game reveal in these kinds of stories.

Curious about Pandora / Ancora; she doesn't seem happy about what she's doing, and seems to have some disapproval of the players crimes, but then she founded My Emptiness, gave the players their tasks and doesn't seem too bothered about killing other players to reach her target.

Was the third girl in Ula and Lux's room the real Ancora? What would Pandora have done if she'd survived? From what Ula says, it sounds like their room was far tougher than the other two rooms, wonder if this will have any relevance later. Actually thinking about it, the similarities between Pandora and Ancora was mentioned in the first vote; Panda is also somewhat similar. Now I'm wondering if Panda actually is Pandora and Ancora's been duped / drugged into thinking she's Pandora.

I hope the third girl / Panda doesn't turn out to be the traitor. Picking up the gun on 278 where Vidi is voted out raises the trust of a mystery person, who I'm currently assuming is Panda, which would imply she's still alive.

On the other hand, does Pandora know what everyone in My Emptiness looks like? She mentions enlisting the help of a male friend, I'm wondering if the friend might actually be a player / the traitor and that's why the tech in the game isn't working quite as expected. If that is the case, I think I'd lean towards Vidi. The bad end (278) where Vidi is killed in the first voting round seems to absolve him of being the traitor, and it feels like the game kind of tries to push you towards that ending?

Ira's real name is Alex Saville - not sure how that will be relevant yet, unless he's related to the Principle.

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 14, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Umineko ep 4: spent all saturday reading and made it to Goldsmith, and I had to take mother's day off for various reasons. I'm back, and holy moly. I thought I'd have something eloquent to say, like how cool it was that Rosa actually attacked Kinzo! Good for her! but, uh

I try to be braced for weird character designs but lady, your dress is missing, um - !

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

More Birth ME thoughts - spoilers for endings 277 to 284:

Lux "killed" Panda - Ula actually questions whether it's possible Panda is still alive, but Lux points out that Panda was supposedly beheaded - I'm still not convinced.

Bia's real name is Annie Sousnannie, I notice that only Lux's first name - Nico - is given though, which makes me wonder if there's a reason to hide her surname? Maybe she's the principle's daughter? I'd wonder if Ancora could be the daughter, but it doesn't seem like she's out for revenge.

Why is everyone's first thought that their name is Marco? Did the poster that Ancora finds in the bar remind her of Marco?

I wonder if Bia really is the killer in the group? The murderer puzzle is in what seems to be a mockup of her house, and Trist obviously thought she was a "corrupted" helper type, but Ira's discussion with Ava and Bia's reaction to Pandora's note in the first room make it sound like Bia was a drug dealer, not a killer. I wonder if the "each player matches one of the nine personality types" theory might be wrong, given both Ava and Ancora identify as the investigator type.

Ira's body is taken when he's voted out, but Lux's body is left where it is. There's also the bad end where Ira shoots Ava and Ancora despite supposedly being killed though it's not impossible that Ava was lying for some reason. Might be a clue that Ira's the traitor, but I'm kind of inclined to rule out the "pairs" - Bia and Ira / Ula and Lux since they could team up to kill Ancora. It's possible that killing Ancora isn't the traitor's goal though - if the daughter is the traitor, maybe she's trying to prolong the game and get as many people killed as possible, seeing as it sounds like the Principle took the blame for all My Emptiness crimes.

It's becoming more clear that Ancora doesn't really know that much more than the rest - the crossroads, unexpected puzzles, not understanding those visions when someone is voted out, her memories also being hazy. Seems like she also doesn't know at least some of the crimes that were committed.

Still thinking Panda or Vidi are the most likely traitors, if Ancora really is Pandora. If she isn't, then it's possible Ancora is the traitor.

The game initially felt a bit pointless - if Ancora doesn't mind other members of My Emptiness being killed, why didn't she just kill all of them and be 100% that she's killed the traitor instead of endangering herself like this? Now it seems like Ancora needs the game to piece together more information about the members of My Emptiness; not sure to what end she needs this information though.

Not a fan of needing maximum trust with Bia to avoid being voted off in the second round - Ancora already knew from hacking what Bia had done.

Putting together what's known about the players so far:

Ancora: Unknown Penmill - unknown if she's committed a crime.
Vidi: Both names unknown - crime currently unknown, supposedly connected to Bia.
Bia - Annie Sousnannie - suspected but not confirmed to be a killer.
Ava - Erelle Weber, though she claims her name is Ityne Icofilm in 283 - had relations with an underaged student.
Trist - Etienne Unknown - crime currently unknown, though Pandora mentions torturing kids?
Ira - Alex Saville - assisted with drug dealing.
Lux - Nico Hope - crime currently unknown, might be related to torture?
Ula - Lucille Boisjoli - bombed the school.

Marco was an engineering tutor. Vidi returned to ensure that everyone was killed, but why? If all the ME cards are required and he had two, why not just wait it out? By coming back, he risked having someone go into his puzzle room with him, and his plan would have failed. Ava most likely lied about her name in 283, even though she knew both herself and Ancora were about to be killed. Her last line is "And now we're dead again" - which may imply she knows something about what's going on. Pandora can only connect to people when trust is at maximum; that explains why she didn't connect with Vidi when he's voted off.

Completing 284, definitely seems like Ava knows everyone is in a loop. Not sure what year the game's supposed to take place in, but with Bia thinking her birth date couldn't be 2014 and the comments about the reactor being futuristic, I'm thinking it's going to turn out that this game is happening in the 2030's, or something. Ancora's realised that she didn't set any of this up (which means there may be a mastermind and a traitor amongst the players), aside from the helmets, and even that she needed help with - wondering if Vidi is Marco at this point.

HydroSphere fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 14, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Umineko ep 4: I have never read anything that has committed so fully to having its cake and eating it too. It truly is a game worthy of the title GOAT

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Umineko opinion post since I just finished eps 1-4:

4 > 3 > 1 > 2. None of them are bad, but some of them have bad/slow parts. They make up for this by containing one of the best murder mysteries I've ever read. I'm installing the final arcs now, and will read them when I'm done decompressing over the ending of ep 4.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

So (episode 4 spoilers, safe for Strix to read) there were a lot of red truths at the end of episode four. What did you think of them?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No Wave posted:

So (episode 4 spoilers, safe for Strix to read) there were a lot of red truths at the end of episode four. What did you think of them?

Overwhelmed. After a certain point my brain got stuck, and I had to keep evaluating things. And - I think she said it in red, "of course Maria didn't kill them" where'd that of course come from? gahhh, so many mysteries

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hey hey hey hey, I think today is Higurashi 8 Is Out day.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Squiddycat posted:

Yep!

Just got an email that it was released!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1243670/Higurashi_When_They_Cry_Hou__Ch8_Matsuribayashi/

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

part 1 is also free now, probably forever https://store.steampowered.com/app/310360/Higurashi_When_They_Cry_Hou__Ch1_Onikakushi/

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Squiddycat posted:

Thank you for this, friggin' Steam is terrible for letting me know stuff like this. "Is this game relevant to your interests? Similar to other games you've played: The Nonary Games (3.6 hours)".

Meanwhile I've got easily over a hundred hours in Higurashi 1-7 on Steam on the same account but apparently that is just totally moot.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

food court bailiff posted:

Thank you for this, friggin' Steam is terrible for letting me know stuff like this. "Is this game relevant to your interests? Similar to other games you've played: The Nonary Games (3.6 hours)".

I had to tell steam to just never recommend me anything tagged anime/visual novel/etc because their algorithm still can't tell the difference between Umineko and $1 porn games

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

StrixNebulosa posted:

WAIT A MINUTE

maria cannot reference cardcaptor sakura because it hasn't aired yet!!!!!!!!!! It came out in 1998! The plot takes place in the 80s!

EDF! EDF!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Got Raging Loop as a birthday gift a couple days ago and I'm really digging it! Haruaki is a great protagonist so far.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Opinion: Umineko ep 5 has frustrating pacing, and a slow start. Lots of exposition about how the new status quo is, and setup for the game and like come on get to the murders already. I'm not entirely certain if my slow reading has been because of the pacing or burnout from marathoning eps 1-4.

Either way I'm poking at it - I want to see this through to the end and not give up in the middle.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Try formulating a theory about what happened in 1 to 4 (this isn't simple). You have enough to go on to have a theory of what the story's about and 5-8 are more enjoyable when they're being tested against your current understanding of the plot.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
For what it's worth EP5 was probably my least favorite overall. It was decent from a puzzle and tricks perspective but I don't think it presented its new lore in an interesting way, and I don't feel like it succeeded in its goal of making me care more about Natsuhi.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
On the other hand,
https://twitter.com/FloPerfecto/status/1212938418520502272

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

I'll be damned if I let some whippersnapper beat me to finishing Umineko when I've probably been reading it longer than they've been alive! :argh:

(Live blog below will contain chapter 7 spoilers)

Am in the part where they are in the chapel. Clearly the girls stole the broom to bully Yasu. But Beatrice's voice actor sounds different to me than her normal one? Does this mean that there is some specific girl playing Beatrice, and Beatrice isn't just in Yasu's head? Or has it just been so long I forgot what her voice sounded like?

Edit: Oh right, that is Gapp's VA.

Edit 2: Now that I think about it, if you get rid of the curls, Gapp looks just like Beatrice. So, is Gapp basically the prototype, and "Beatrice" is the closest that Yasu can approximate, then gets the painting commissioned to look like their impersonation? IIRC, the painting was commissioned by "Kinzo" after Kinzo had died.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 20, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

(END OF episode 5 spoilers)

Episode 5 has that whole study scene with Erika, Battler, and Dlanor though right? Probably my favorite red/blue exchange in the whole series.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 20, 2020

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

No Wave posted:

(episode 5 spoilers)

Episode 5 has that whole study scene with Erika, Battler, and Dlanor though right? Probably my favorite red/blue exchange in the whole series.

You should edit to clarify that this is likely ahead of where Strix is right now.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Got Raging Loop as a birthday gift a couple days ago and I'm really digging it! Haruaki is a great protagonist so far.

Raging Loop is really good and made me want to play mafia on these forums lmfao

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

After I got spoiled on a character's existence/name by going to god drat tumblr of all places (I didn't even know I was following anyone on it who had read Umineko!!!) I'm hyper paranoid and not clicking on any blacks bars unless they're specifically replying to me, no worries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Akarshi posted:

Raging Loop is really good and made me want to play mafia on these forums lmfao

As someone who used to play mafia on these forums, I’d recommend against it. It’s really not that fun.