Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Where does everyone land on Bill Maher having done another racism?

On one hand I think it's stupid to call the virus the Wuhan virus, or the Chinese virus, because it doesn't give us any advantage in knowing what we should do about it -- it can only possibly be a bad thing. On the other hand, I think he's absolutely right to criticize the wet markets that have led to this or similar situations several times; just because something is a cultural practice doesn't mean it's beyond reproach.

I think he really damaged his own point by going so hard on the nomenclature issue, which is ultimately irrelevant, but I can't say he's wrong about holding China to account for allowing these "farmers' markets from hell" to continue to operate after SARS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I agree 100% with what you just said. I don't like the terms Chinese Virus or Wuhan Virus but "wet markets" in China and elsewhere are timebombs.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I was more shocked that he's a "the cure is worse than the disease" idiot and wants to reopen the economy...him being ignorant about the :airquote: Spanish Flu :airquote: from Kansas City surprises me not at all. That he doesn't see the difference between naming something after a geological feature or region and an ethinic group or nation, which has already resulted in attacks on American citizens, is similarly unsurprising.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

PT6A posted:

Where does everyone land on Bill Maher having done another racism?

On one hand I think it's stupid to call the virus the Wuhan virus, or the Chinese virus, because it doesn't give us any advantage in knowing what we should do about it -- it can only possibly be a bad thing. On the other hand, I think he's absolutely right to criticize the wet markets that have led to this or similar situations several times; just because something is a cultural practice doesn't mean it's beyond reproach.

I think he really damaged his own point by going so hard on the nomenclature issue, which is ultimately irrelevant, but I can't say he's wrong about holding China to account for allowing these "farmers' markets from hell" to continue to operate after SARS.

Wet markets tend to be very sensationalized. While there exist market that sell these exotic animals, they are relatively rare and not the norm in the country.

As for whether or not to call it the "Chinese virus", I feel that context is important. For starters the virus already had a name "Coronaviurs", the same way "SARS" did. The reason why many people want to attribute it to China is not due to location, but more so due to the exotic and strange dangerous of the virus from less civilized people.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

PT6A posted:

Much more annoyed that China (and other countries) lied about their death tolls and the true extent of the outbreak. Followed by all the politicians and people on TV who blatantly lied about the efficacy of masks or, even worse, called them irrelevant for weeks and weeks.

And also the insanely stubborn refusal by Trump/the US Government to shut down ALL air travel in and out of the US (and within the US). The fact that the US has more airline passengers per month than any other country (and its effect relating to the virus) is one of the more underreported stories of the last few months. The Democrats weren't any better here.

Whatever name it has is not going to change the death rate much at all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wet markets tend to be very sensationalized. While there exist market that sell these exotic animals, they are relatively rare and not the norm in the country.

Well, in what sense are they sensationalized? I mean, if there's only a handful in the entire country, then the fact that they nonetheless continue to be the source of novel disease outbreaks is even more reason that they need to be eliminated entirely.

I'm not sure what other people are envisioning China to be like, but personally I don't see it as "oh, honey, I'm gonna drop by the wet market on the way home to pick up three chickens, a pangolin and a bat for dinner. Want any tiger penis?" I assume the majority of Chinese people, especially in cities, buy their food from a supermarket just like most other places in the world. But if you want to eat a bat, you can find a place that will sell you a bat to eat. And that's a problem.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Dan Crenshaw may have had courage on the battlefield but he's an intellectual coward. If you look up "lie of omission" in the dictionary it has his picture.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zogo posted:

And also the insanely stubborn refusal by Trump/the US Government to shut down ALL air travel in and out of the US (and within the US).

This is like public transit, though. It serves a market with a need, and if you're going to have to move people long distances and wipe the vehicle down later than an airplane beats a slow moving train or bus over certain distances. I am middle aged and not trained nor licensed to drive a motor vehicle. If my mother dies from this or any other thing, I have to travel hundreds of miles to deal with her remains.

Beyond that, USPS is already on the brink and relies upon the commercial air carriers to deliver the mail. Private planes are not huge sources of transmission. Cancelling all air travel is basically pants-on-head stupid. It's one of those things that only a licensed driver with a reliable car would ever say.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 20, 2020

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Former Human posted:

Dan Crenshaw may have had courage on the battlefield but he's an intellectual coward. If you look up "lie of omission" in the dictionary it has his picture.

I've seen him multiple times harping on student loans, credit card debt etc. i.e. "It's DISHONORABLE not to pay back your loan in full." As if people are just sitting on the trillions of dollars necessary to do that.

Craptacular! posted:

This is like public transit, though. It serves a market with a need, and if you're going to have to move people long distances and wipe the vehicle down later than an airplane beats a slow moving train or bus over certain distances. I am middle aged and not trained nor licensed to drive a motor vehicle. If my mother dies from this or any other thing, I have to travel hundreds of miles to deal with her remains.

Beyond that, USPS is already on the brink and relies upon the commercial air carriers to deliver the mail. Private planes are not huge sources of transmission. Cancelling all air travel is basically pants-on-head stupid. It's one of those things that only a licensed driver with a reliable car would ever say.

I actually didn't mean to shut every single plane down or do it indefinitely. I forgot some words in there and wanted some serious changes/exclusions until proper testing was available for travelers.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 20, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Bill Maher: "WHY NOT DO WHAT SWEDEN DID AND DO NOTHING SEEMS FINE THERE" :hurr:

South Korea: <5 deaths per million
Germany: >63 deaths per million
USA: >150 deaths per million
Sweden: >200 deaths per million
:thunk:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It has to happen anyway, because there’s no end game for what we’re doing. The thing is, Sweden’s body count is with UHC. We could write off boomers and accept a step backward in the average lifespan, we probably have to and given that a few years ago the NHS predicted half the British babies being born today would live to see 100; there’s possibly a statement to be had about humans beginning to live longer than the ecosystem could permit.

However, things will still be so much worse here if people have financial incentive to just be destroyed by the virus rather than seek any kind of treatment. But it’s one thing to die early, it’s another to die painfully.

Unfortunately, accepting a major change in humanity’s ability to thrive in it’s senior years requires political will that isn’t there, because the entire US system is pivoted on how the older people get, the more that they vote.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 25, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Believe women (unless they accuse Joe Biden).
-The DNC

You would think, since they've had months to prepare for this, that they would have a better arguments than "she's lying" and "Trump did more."

edit: Bret Stephens is a piece of poo poo and I would destroy the entire New York Times if it meant their opinions page was gone forever.

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 2, 2020

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Eric Holder is such a loving piece of poo poo.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Nucleic Acids posted:

Eric Holder is such a loving piece of poo poo.

You don't say? The black guy who oversaw the American DoJ without so much as a peep about the... murdering poor and black and brown people en masse thing? Huh.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The most hilarious part about this still airing is that Bill takes breaks every couple of weeks and now we will get an episode like clockwork until this is over because he has nothing better to do...

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Though, he's taking a break next week with the show returning on the 22nd.

Terrible episode this week though, for all his talk about toughing up and weak youths he's cracking after only some weeks now.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
This is peak self isolation here. He plays all the greatest hits:
"Republicans don't care, so why do you?"
"Only Fox News cares about this."
"Reade loves Putin."
"Why now?"
"Defeat Trump first. gently caress everyone who gets in the way."
"I don't care what's true and neither should you."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju1ZFuvjzYc

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Are there any legit sources for Reade's Putin admiration? I can't find anything on Google.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Are there any legit sources for Reade's Putin admiration? I can't find anything on Google.
https://web.archive.org/web/20190404043945/https://medium.com/@shewrites94/why-a-liberal-democrat-supports-vladimir-putin-f54ca2a3a405

Think there's definitely an article or two, maybe some tweets. Doesn't remotely justify the conspiracy theories.

Also a healthy reminder to people that it's a much smaller ask for Joe Biden to step down than it is to ask millions of voters to come out and vote for an uninspiring, incoherent sex pest. People like Bill Maher really need to get their memories checked. Trying to stamp out legit criticism of a flawed candidate with your only argument being "beat the other worse person" is not going to get people out to the polls.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
What we all suspected he was like in person...

https://twitter.com/rosemcgowan/status/1258994802462461953

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

VagueRant posted:

Also a healthy reminder to people that it's a much smaller ask for Joe Biden to step down than it is to ask millions of voters to come out and vote for an uninspiring, incoherent sex pest.

Joe Biden steps down is Trump winning in an 84 like landslide in a lot of people’s minds. He has the delegates to take the party’s nomination so do we all vote Green (hahhahah) or have a back room party meeting where someone doesn’t have the majority of delegates but is nominee anyway? The idea of party figureheads being decided in closed door sessions is common in parliamentary governments but looked at with skepticism here.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Joe Biden steps down is Trump winning in an 84 like landslide in a lot of people’s minds.

Those people are very stupid. Especially with coronavirus hitting - Sanders would've walked to a win since he wouldn't have to be shoved into a closet until election day.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Quick, get rid of the 22nd Amendment so people can vote for Obama again, or Bill Clinton, or the ghost of FDR.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

He has the delegates to take the party’s nomination

He does not

He is the current leader in delegates but he never hit the threshold to secure the nomination

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Former Human posted:

Quick, get rid of the 22nd Amendment so people can vote for Obama again, or Bill Clinton, or the ghost of FDR.

The pollster in me really wants to know how the following would fare against DJT in 2020:

-Jimmy Carter
-Walter Mondale
-Michael Dukakis
-Al Gore
-John Kerry

And no need to even modify the amendment.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Bill really wants to die on Sweden's hill...

Sweden has one of the highest infection/mortality rates in the first world. There is no evidence that recovery confers immunity, and even less evidence that anyone has recovered: most people become asymptomatic again after a few weeks but still test positive and are infectious. The USA has currently been sending those people back to work or ending their quarantine without re-testing them. Now that we are starting to re-test people, we are finding out that many are still testing positive and infectious despite no longer showing symptoms.

Finding out that Bill is a Christian Scientist when it comes to C19 is :suspense:

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

It's not the Covid killing people, it's the sunflower oil.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The doc lady had some nuggets of truth in there, but as is virtually always the case with people he has on like this, they couldn't help themselves but to throw out the good old "Toxins" before the end of the segment and utterly bury them beyond likely recovery along with any full credibility.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I have no clue what the gently caress she was even going on about other than to go to her website and or possibly buy her book to read about seeds or something. Whenever they pull out the "I cant explain it all now just go here and blah blah" I stop caring as it's mostly going to be bullshit.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Yeah when she concluded that some young people died from Covid because they must've had seed oil as part of their diet (what) and then started on "inflammation is from toxins hiding in your body" I rolled my eyes so hard I could see inside my own skull.

Of course Bill thinks diet is everything, as if smallpox could return tomorrow and people who eat at Whole Foods will be fine and only the poor people who eat McDonald's would be sick.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Another dud of an episode, and the worst part was bringing out Leno again.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Radio Nowhere posted:

Another dud of an episode, and the worst part was bringing out Leno again.

The show needs more Cornel West. He hasn't been on the show in over three years.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
bring back jeremy scahill lol

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Zogo posted:

The show needs more Cornel West. He hasn't been on the show in over three years.

I wonder why... :thunk:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I just rewatched his last appearance. He roasted Hillary and Wall Street so hard and Bill got angrier and angrier but Cornel wouldn't back down.

WaryWarren posted:

bring back jeremy scahill lol

He hasn't been on in over four years.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
No one is :turianass: afraid :turianass: to say that "looting is bad."

The point is why should I say something as obvious and banal as "looting is bad" when the people who want to hear that can't even bring themselves to say "people who are black should not be dis-proportionally killed by the police?" Constantly dumbfounded by people's ability to compare mob violence to the organized, State-sponsored terrorism committed with tax-payer dollars by the police...

Also, no one is upset about "cultural appropriation," although that is another aspect of the inherent comedy to the Congressional Democrat's endless, impotent pandering. :jerkbag:

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Anyone still watching want to save time, skip any guests discussing health.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
why do i keep stabbing myself in the balls by watching this shitsquib every week? :ohdear:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

New rule: Andrew Sullivan, who is so deeply afraid of being cancelled, must finally be loving cancelled. He’s an especially large and putrid bit of garbage on a fairly garbage show.

He’s very racist and dumb, even compared with Bill himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

PT6A posted:

New rule: Andrew Sullivan, who is so deeply afraid of being cancelled, must finally be loving cancelled. He’s an especially large and putrid bit of garbage on a fairly garbage show.

He’s very racist and dumb, even compared with Bill himself.

https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1274091944986148864?s=20