Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

dog nougat posted:

How's Mutant Year Zero? Got a hankering for a turn based strategy game ala X-Com.

In the words of Immorten Joe, mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
That music video at the end of Blops2 was silly yet enjoyable at the same time.

My favorite in-game concert is hands down in Sacred 2. Blind Guardian rocking out to a hall full of ogres and grunts was so drat :rock:

https://youtu.be/JyfE55c_ZjI

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Less Fat Luke posted:

:mediocre:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Less Fat Luke posted:

drat

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

dog nougat posted:

How's Mutant Year Zero? Got a hankering for a turn based strategy game ala X-Com.

Idk but thanks for reminding me there's a turn based John Wick game I want to try

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Guillermus posted:

Good news everyone!

Streets of Rage 4 is getting physical releases (not the Limitedrungames.com one) in July, at least in Europe for PS4, Switch and Xbox One. GAME (I guess both UK and Spain) open the preorders of a standard version (reversible cover, keyring and art book) and a signature edition that includes Axel's bandana some pins and stuff like that.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/05/streets_of_rage_4_gets_another_physical_release_this_time_with_a_signature_edition

I already preordered the standard edition (34.95€) despite owning it digital on PSN. It's my way to show some extra support to the devs.

Edit: forgot to say that it's July 24th for its release.

STREETS OF RAGE!!!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zongerian posted:

Its biggest crime is there are only like 5 different enemies, otherwise it's good

That's hosed up. Did they develop it on like a 50 yen budget or what??

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Zongerian posted:

Idk but thanks for reminding me there's a turn based John Wick game I want to try

Huh. That looks interesting. The art style is a little weird for me in the trailer. Decided to pick up Frostpunk. More of a weird apocalyptic city building/survival game than turn based strategy, but playing Cities that came free w/ PS+ got me hankering for that type of thing as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh8RGCP8MeY

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Yeah it was really low budget and released at $40 but good in spite of it thanks to fox engine and people who worked on previous Metal Gear games

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RareAcumen posted:

Don't watch Conan O'Brien for honest game reviews, what the gently caress are you on right now!

I know it's a comedy sketch but I still think this one should be required viewing for all horror game developers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw7Os-_BJMo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you need a washed-up American comedian to tell you Slenderman is boring then I think you're beyond help.

e: My experience with horror games (but applies to all games really): too often when something really bad is happening you, the player, know exactly what to do about it, but the player character dies anyway because it's not the in-game situation that's fighting you but the controls. That's not horror - that's a literal literal nightmare.

ee: It's why I've given up on The Witness twice now.

eee: no wait sorry The Witness is more "I figured out the way to solve these puzzles and now I'm expected to actually DO it. This sucks."

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 10, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Almost up to Bill's Safehouse in The Last of Us Remastered, it seems better than I remembered but I still hate stealth mechanics. I want to pew pew not pay attention to pathing npcs.

That being said, this is improved for my experience playing for the first time with a XIM4, I can't do poo poo for headshots on a controller.

No Spoilers.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Almost up to Bill's Safehouse in The Last of Us Remastered, it seems better than I remembered but I still hate stealth mechanics. I want to pew pew not pay attention to pathing npcs.

That being said, this is improved for my experience playing for the first time with a XIM4, I can't do poo poo for headshots on a controller.

No Spoilers.

It's not really a pew pew game, more of a Tenchu-like with brawling, guns, and bombs. Aiming gets easier towards the middle though as Joel gets addicted to pills.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think I'm gonna play Doom Eternal on the PS4 with a gamepad, rip me

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's fine

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Something just feels right about using the PS 20th anniversary theme and having the a folder that includes; FF7R, REmake2, and PaRappa remastered. or maybe I need to start playing new franchises

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's not really a pew pew game, more of a Tenchu-like with brawling, guns, and bombs. Aiming gets easier towards the middle though as Joel gets addicted to pills.

I've never played Tenchu either so IDK what that's like.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DOTY?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I beat it on Ultraviolence with a DS4, no back-button attachment. You'll be fine.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pillars of Eternity 2 with all the DLC and updates (including turn based mode, all the optional challenges etc) is on sale for $40

That's an insanely good deal, it's a great port (runs better than on my laptop) with good controls etc. Buy it because nobody did :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I should get back to that, I have been enjoying playing it with a gamepad and the turn-based system makes a lot more sense to me than the RTWP of POE1

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I was in the mood for an FPS so I've been playing Destiny 2 since forever ago I bought Forsaken for like $15 in a fugue state and I heard that was the good one? I wasn't planning on doing much other than the campaigns and I figure after I'm done that's 100 GB of HDD space freed up.

So I replayed the normal campaign, which is decent and probably the closest thing to playing Halo I've felt since I was in high school, then I played the two little expansions which were about 3 hours apiece and they were fine then I was like alright, here we go, Forsaken is the thing that everyone said turned it all around and made Destiny 2 great.

...except I forgot what that means for MMO players, and after the very first (admittedly great) mission the campaign is gated by mandatory grinding checklist bounties, and then you have to kill ten bosses, each with a gimmick and none of them with a fun gimmick. I'm so ready for it to be over but it just never ends. Just let me take revenge for Nathan Fillion so I can never play you again, I wouldn't even know what Destiny was if that wasn't the only model on sale when I bought my PS4 five years ago
:negative:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I never ever got the Destiny 2 appeal. It's so boring. Like, literally shooting the same enemy for ten minutes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I never ever got the Destiny 2 appeal. It's so boring. Like, literally shooting the same enemy for ten minutes.

It's fun with friends just tooling around doing missions and the multiplayer is also alright with a premade. It's a fun game to just spend some time playing but yeah once I hit max level I fell off it. A few dudes I know still play regularly and enjoy it. It's controls nicely as well, but it's no Titanfall.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Enemy? I spent hours shooting a cave in destiny 1

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you ripped away all of the arpg bullshit from destiny and made it a normal shooter campaign it might be alright. If nothing else it’s gorgeous and the core mechanics are solid. But it’s just ridiculously goddamn boring because they structured it around a pointless loot system to try and bait people into playing it forever.

I tried to get into it recently and earned a reputation of just randomly falling asleep while playing. Which is something I normally never do in games.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ZZZorcerer posted:

So... having finished FF7R I gotta choose my next game, life is a bit hard now so maybe something uplifting ?
Death Stranding was in my list but uh... maybe not now.

I have Spider-Man, Horizon and Judgement here but I could grab something else too, any suggestions thread ?

Trials of Mana, the other real good Square-Enix remake that just came out in the shadow of FF7R, is fun and has the tone of a saturday morning cartoon (granted: about evil nemeses taking over the world)

It doesn't have FF7R's budget and isn't as evolved of a game as FF7R but it remarkably achieves a lot of the same things

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

deep dish peat moss posted:

Trials of Mana, the other real good Square-Enix remake that just came out in the shadow of FF7R, is fun and has the tone of a saturday morning cartoon (granted: about evil nemeses taking over the world)

It doesn't have FF7R's budget and isn't as evolved of a game as FF7R but it remarkably achieves a lot of the same things

ToM is a great suggestion. I'm pretty deep into FF7R and beat ToM fairly recently. I completely agree with describing the tone like a Saturday morning cartoon. There is a lot less story than FF7R, but I think the combat is more fun in Trials of Mana.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

veni veni veni posted:

If you ripped away all of the arpg bullshit from destiny and made it a normal shooter campaign it might be alright. If nothing else it’s gorgeous and the core mechanics are solid. But it’s just ridiculously goddamn boring because they structured it around a pointless loot system to try and bait people into playing it forever.

Yeah its annoying because with both 1+2 you can see the good game underneath, but there is so much bullshit thrown in for the loot grind that it feels designed to burn out everyone but the biggest whales. And because the loot is random I'll find an amazing pulse rifle or something only to have a lovely revolver replace it five minutes later, and then somehow not get anything better than that revolver for the next five hours.

I assume it's made them ungodly amounts of money though so someone out there must be loving that poo poo :shrug:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I have a couple friends who pretty much play nothing but Destiny 2. I don't get it, but it must be doing something right.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Everyone says "The shooting in Destiny FEELS SO GOOD" but I wonder if that comes from playing on a gamepad and getting rumble and having auto-aim I guess, I played it on the PC with MKB and it was fine but w/e

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
The shooting in Destiny is pretty good but everything else tied to the rpg and mmo systems are awful.

And thanks for the recommendations, gonna add Trials to my wishlist

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 10, 2020

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I think it's a sound thing? Lots of people say the shooting in Rage felt good, too, and I just remember all of the guns feeling weirdly puny, like multiple headshots to unarmored dudes to take them down.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Has anyone played ADR1FT? Looking for a game with a lot of wow moments and some atmosphere but I don't want it to be 2 hrs of puzzles before I get a sweet set piece. Looking for something to play while high tonight tbh. It's 7.50AUD right now on PSN.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

dog nougat posted:

Huh. That looks interesting. The art style is a little weird for me in the trailer. Decided to pick up Frostpunk. More of a weird apocalyptic city building/survival game than turn based strategy, but playing Cities that came free w/ PS+ got me hankering for that type of thing as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh8RGCP8MeY

Is this turn based or real time? I loved turn based games and loathe RTSes, and that video didn’t say for sure. Looks pretty cool though. :v:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Is this turn based or real time? I loved turn based games and loathe RTSes, and that video didn’t say for sure. Looks pretty cool though. :v:

It's like SimCity, it moves in real time but you can pause whenever and issue instructions while paused

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

nachos posted:

Enemy? I spent hours shooting a cave in destiny 1

You shot into the cave? I'd just sit on the ground next to the people shooting, it paid the same and I could eat while i got loot.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Nierbo posted:

Has anyone played ADR1FT? Looking for a game with a lot of wow moments and some atmosphere but I don't want it to be 2 hrs of puzzles before I get a sweet set piece. Looking for something to play while high tonight tbh. It's 7.50AUD right now on PSN.

It's on ps now so you can probably just do the trial for that and save the 7.50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Everyone says "The shooting in Destiny FEELS SO GOOD" but I wonder if that comes from playing on a gamepad and getting rumble and having auto-aim I guess, I played it on the PC with MKB and it was fine but w/e

It's definitely a feels great on console shooter like Halo or Titanfall.