Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
realized it’s a bad idea to have a fan going while painting :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Mikey Purp posted:

Speaking of very thin brush strokes...I'll give it to GW, to paint a Lord of Change is to slowly slide into Tzeentchian madness.

Really happy with how this edge highlighting is coming out so far, and loving every minute! :shepface:

Huge props to you for doing this, I don’t think I could. I’d go mad.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Under normal circumstances I probably wouldn't have gone through the trouble, but due to the rona I have a lot more painting time on my hands. It's strangely soothing to do this kind of methodical painting while sitting on a conference call.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

Feathers always look like they require a lot of patience :ohdear:

That thing looks basically fractal, edge highlighting it takes centuries.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Pakxos posted:

Hoping to finish the terminator squad tomorrow. Can anyone who cares to post their power fists, storm bolters and power fists? Google image search isn't bad, but it does get repetitive and I'm curious what other people have done. Thanks!

I went with a somewhat unorthodox "reasonable marine" desert scheme. In keeping with that, my bolters are painted to have wood furniture and canvas or leather straps, like mid-20th century assault rifles.

I did them coming from historicals so after years of painting brown and green army guys doing bright pastels just felt off to me.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Geisladisk posted:

I went with a somewhat unorthodox "reasonable marine" desert scheme. In keeping with that, my bolters are painted to have wood furniture and canvas or leather straps, like mid-20th century assault rifles.

I did them coming from historicals so after years of painting brown and green army guys doing bright pastels just felt off to me.

I would eventually like to do something similar with Thousand Sons, the idea being an animated statue theme. Can you break down your process for me?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Geisladisk posted:

I mean, Raptors are canonically Reasonable Marines?

Also birbs: good.

E: By way of critique, I know that them blending into the basing is kinda :thejoke: but they seem to blend into the bases a little too well which I think is a shame because the work is really really good, but it's a little too samey?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Crosspostin’ a Gal Vorbak I’ll be proxying as a Greater Possessed for a Word Bearers detachment.

The red came out a little oversaturated on camera, which is hiding the edge highlights. Between this legion and the AdMech/Imperial Knights I’m doing Blood Angels contrast is putting in some work.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Vlex posted:

I would eventually like to do something similar with Thousand Sons, the idea being an animated statue theme. Can you break down your process for me?

Nothing fancy. The metal is just vallejo steel with a couple of heavy nuln oil washes. The wood is... I think it was vallejo Terra? Again with a nuln oil wash. The armor is Army Painter Skeleton Bone, then a wash of Agrax Earthshade, then a coat of Karak Stone, being careful to miss the edges of the panels and recesses to keep them darker.

Schadenboner posted:

E: By way of critique, I know that them blending into the basing is kinda :thejoke: but they seem to blend into the bases a little too well which I think is a shame because the work is really really good, but it's a little too samey?

I do agree on the bases. I tried to fix it a little bit by adding the Ultramarine Blue rim. Also as a way to get the canonical Ultramarine color in there.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Geisladisk posted:

Nothing fancy. The metal is just vallejo steel with a couple of heavy nuln oil washes. The wood is... I think it was vallejo Terra? Again with a nuln oil wash. The armor is Army Painter Skeleton Bone, then a wash of Agrax Earthshade, then a coat of Karak Stone, being careful to miss the edges of the panels and recesses to keep them darker.

I do agree on the bases. I tried to fix it a little bit by adding the Ultramarine Blue rim. Also as a way to get the canonical Ultramarine color in there.

For all the "THE CODEX ASTARTES DOES NOT SUPPORT THIS ACTION" memery I think one of the original Rogue Trader books has Ultramarines in camouflage armor.

E: Looks like I was thinking of a camouflaged Ultras rhino (Warhammer 40,000 Compendium, p. 79) while Badab War chapters are shown in variant color schemes (op. cit., 34-35). It's still A Thing That Space Marines Do.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 9, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I have the old 40k Compendium from 2nd edition or somewhere where it talks about some Chapters being perfectly fine with camouflage while others (like the Red Scorpions) utterly scoff at the thought.

Also the point in time where the IG had Rhinos and not Chimeras as their transports.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cooked Auto posted:

I have the old 40k Compendium from 2nd edition or somewhere where it talks about some Chapters being perfectly fine with camouflage while others (like the Red Scorpions) utterly scoff at the thought.

Also the point in time where the IG had Rhinos and not Chimeras as their transports.

Daemonhunter/Witchhunter Storm Troopers (3.5ish?) could also take Rhinos.

I still wonder why Codex Xenohunter never came out, they even make off-hand reference to it as coming soon in (I think) one of the issues of Exterminatus Magazine (the Fanatic imprint for the Inqusitor 54 game).

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Geisladisk posted:

I like it! Just seeing the same google images/pinterest results gets old. Prob going to try and go with a two-toned grey-steel/gun metal for my guys since they are Salamander, plus gold details. We'll see how it turns out.

e. Letters are important

Pakxos fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 9, 2020

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Been working on a bunch of stuff at once, jumping around as I get bored, as is my preference (bad habit)

Couple weeks ago when it was mid-60's where I am, I primed a bunch of Riders of Rohan. Today it's snowing, so I decided to paint up a test model. Still working on it, but here's my progress so far. Really fun model to paint.

I finished these for Safety Factor's charity thread:

I've got an Invictor primed white, ready for some yellow, and a Redemptor that I'm chipping away at as well. I've adopted the "paint something every day" philosophy, even if it's something incredibly small and quick, I've been pretty consistent, helps when I have nowhere to go, and really nowhere to be atm

mccnaol
May 26, 2018
Looks like I got these guys finished just in time. My local store just messaged me to tell me my saga of the beast box should finally arrive next week now GW is back to being partially open.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Painted my first greenskin and played around with Typhus Corrosion for the first time. Probably went a bit too ham with it, and drybrushing silver afterwards made all the grit stand out, but it was fun :v:

Any ideas on how I could tone down the silver grit? Another drybrush, maybe with a brown color?

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 10, 2020

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
E: Nm

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Winklebottom posted:

Painted my first greenskin and played around with Typhus Corrosion for the first time. Probably went a bit too ham with it, and drybrushing silver afterwards made all the grit stand out, but it was fun :v:

Any ideas on how I could tone down the silver grit? Another drybrush, maybe with a brown color?

throw a nuln/agrax over it, maybe thin it a little if you don't want to go too dark.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Doing some highlights on the gold today; in the past I probably would have tried dry brushing especially with multiple models, but I did it all by hand this time

Also had a few annoying slips trying to find light or bumping another finger etc

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I've been grinding out the Lord of Blights masterclass before the vids get taken down, but painted up this Necron warrior in a Thokt Dynasty theme as a change of pace.

Masterclass vid part 7 done:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Skails posted:

I've been grinding out the Lord of Blights masterclass before the vids get taken down, but painted up this Necron warrior in a Thokt Dynasty theme as a change of pace.

i enjoy this necron very much

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Skails posted:

this necron is sick as hell, good job dude

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Skails posted:

That looks terrific.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Work in progress on the Thunderbolt for the charity thread.

Really happy with the blends. Need to tape off the wing fronts and get some transfers down next.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Canopy in particular lookin' good!

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Schadenboner posted:

I’m really interested in this topic.

Are there any design tricks to make camouflage models on camouflage-appropriate terrain stand out?

I know that’s kind of oxymoronic but you still want the models to pop and look cool.

Maybe use a contrasting bit of flora to add visual dynamism?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

throw a nuln/agrax over it, maybe thin it a little if you don't want to go too dark.

Thanks, that did the trick

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Anyone have a good 'recipe' for fly eyes? I've tested a few methods and so far the best I've found has been basecoat silver with pearl highlights, black grid, and thin green contrast paint over it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
That's really tricky, fly eyes are faceted like gems.

I'd probably consider stippling the paint with little dots and really sharp contrasts between colors?

Please excuse the MSPaint mockup, but maybe something like that: where you start really dark and then dot on colors without the usual blending and then do rows of white highlights so it looks like the light is catching tiny facets rather than a flat round surface.

Edit: Or maybe flipped upside-down so its more gem-like in its contrasts?

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 10, 2020

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The more I work on them the more I realised I missed loads of tiny bastard fiddly details like belts and such. I don't know if I have a good off-white for teeth/bone either, I used VMC ivory but it feels too thick and too chalky at the same time.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 10, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The more I work on them the more I realised I missed loads of tiny bastard fiddly details like belts and such. I don't know if I have a good off-white for teeth/bone either, I used VMC ivory but it feels too thich and too chalky at the same time.

P3 Menoth White Base or Jack Bone are pretty good imho

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Please excuse the MSPaint mockup, but maybe something like that: where you start really dark and then dot on colors without the usual blending and then do rows of white highlights so it looks like the light is catching tiny facets rather than a flat round surface.

I like this a lot, and if I were going to try stippling dots like this a toothpick can be much more forgiving than a brush.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's really tricky, fly eyes are faceted like gems.

I'd probably consider stippling the paint with little dots and really sharp contrasts between colors?

Edit: Or maybe flipped upside-down so its more gem-like in its contrasts?

moths posted:

I like this a lot, and if I were going to try stippling dots like this a toothpick can be much more forgiving than a brush.

You're both brilliant, I'll try this in the next couple days!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Finally mostly wrapped up; just need to find my glue and finish out the base details, and put on a transfer

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Finally mostly wrapped up; just need to find my glue and finish out the base details, and put on a transfer

looks good! I've enjoyed the WIP pictures

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
thanks!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
what do people use to attach temporary pins for paint work on small pieces that aren’t on a sprue? just some putty or a more secure superglue connection?

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

He look great! Its fun to see people getting back into the hobby.

I've been painting a lot and over the past few weekends have done a ton of progress on my Ogres:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

what do people use to attach temporary pins for paint work on small pieces that aren’t on a sprue? just some putty or a more secure superglue connection?

A little dot of superglue in a non-visible area is normally enough to secure something and not be a worry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I have started a Orlock gang! These fellas were pretty fun to paint, they are also the first actual humans I have painted and the first time I have actually tried to do pupils on something this scale.