Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Yerok posted:

Even with the Vermont/SD trick it's pure luck. Keeping that title through multiple registrations in the WI DMV system is also pure luck.

All the stupid loving harleys blasting past my house on the highway have driven me to not care anymore. I'm just gonna ride the XR with the SD plate and if I get pulled over by a cop that figures out what's going on I'll just be honest and tell them this bike is the only positive thing in my life right now.

Don't be honest with cops it doesnt do you any good. Have a good lie figured out and lie your rear end off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Don't worry, I already got my lie ready.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

im seeing quite a few ninja 400s in my area (los angeles) on craigslist for 4kish. My 2013 cbr500r has my favorite bike across the 7 or so bikes I have had since. It had comfort, good mpg and just enough power to be fun. Im looking for something similar, can anyone speak to those aspects of ninja 400 ownership? I can spare another 1k or so getting the bike up the scratch if needed.

Is that price lower than before the 'rona? I wasnt keeping an eye on them before.
Any common failures or things to watch out for? Im expecting it to need a service like every sportbike under 10kmiles on CL

I rode my 18' ninja 400 to 10k miles, no real complaints lots of fun on windy roads. Stock exhaust note sucks and it is pretty bulky, it kept inhibiting my right heel until I replaced it. Stock seats aren't much for long distance riding and anything over 70mph you lose a lot of mpg (freeway driving). But then again who tours on a small sport bike. It's completely fine for day trips up the mountain and such.

I also feel 4k for a used one is a bit overpriced. The dealership I traded mine in at gave me 3.2k and they listed it for 3.6k. but I'm in Idaho not LA so unsure how different the markets are.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Back again! I was planning to pick up this 2007 V-Strom 650, I was thinking it was a great deal since he listed it as ABS, but looking at the pictures I don't think it has it. I'm still super tempted, though. It's still one of the best prices I've seen on one, it's super clean, and I would actually get use out of the hardcases. Please tell me if this is a bad idea - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/162585375132966

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

that’s a good deal and I do not like v stroms at all. bike looks good, but do the usual checks. 9kmi is nothing though so it’s probably fine

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

argh

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kills to Mile Index, the standard method for measuring murdercycle lethality. Weestrom is a pretty placid bike so that makes sense.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:cheeky:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
anyone ever try to import a bike from another country? curious what that process/cost looks like. specifically from canada into the states.

would be nice to take advantage of that sweet sweet conversion ratio

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I sold mine for that (albeit in $CAD) with a lot more mileage and scuffs on it, and not the fancy metal-clad bags.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Razzled posted:

anyone ever try to import a bike from another country? curious what that process/cost looks like. specifically from canada into the states.

would be nice to take advantage of that sweet sweet conversion ratio

these dudes could surely help you.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829078
I was able to import a mini truck from japan and get it legal and registered in the US. Canada to US is surely easier

There are some pretty amazing deals on japanese online bike auctions too. 80s katanas and 90s cbr250rr's that rev to the moon.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keegers posted:

I rode my 18' ninja 400 to 10k miles, no real complaints lots of fun on windy roads. Stock exhaust note sucks and it is pretty bulky, it kept inhibiting my right heel until I replaced it. Stock seats aren't much for long distance riding and anything over 70mph you lose a lot of mpg (freeway driving). But then again who tours on a small sport bike. It's completely fine for day trips up the mountain and such.

I also feel 4k for a used one is a bit overpriced. The dealership I traded mine in at gave me 3.2k and they listed it for 3.6k. but I'm in Idaho not LA so unsure how different the markets are.

thanks that's what i wanted to hear. Ill wait until they hit 3k.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So there's a 2013 690 Enduro R for sale for $7500 with 6900 miles. How much is this thing actually worth, like $5000? I'ts been relisted a million times because no one's buying anything. There are new SMR's with a thousand miles on them for $10k here.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/505098753749025/

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Craigslist here is starting to fill up with bikes, half of me wants to go look at this CB500F:

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/d/charlotte-2014-honda-cb500f/7111808284.html

1900 miles and included luggage.

E: aaaaand it’s gone.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 7, 2020

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Yerok posted:

So there's a 2013 690 Enduro R for sale for $7500 with 6900 miles. How much is this thing actually worth, like $5000? I'ts been relisted a million times because no one's buying anything. There are new SMR's with a thousand miles on them for $10k here.

Being able to say “I ride a KTM :smuggo:” is worth $2k alone

e: speaking of having the bike buying itch, I’m waiting for this to drop another $600 so I can have a big dumb powerful bike

kloa fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 7, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Yerok posted:

I absolutely would not pay that much for a 7yo bike that has been ridden in the sand and likely crashed (replaced plastics)

$5k - $6k depending on how the bike looks in person is the most I'd pay

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Good points all but I sold my '08 SMC a few years ago for almost 7k. That one is an R with a dirt and sumo set.

If I could get a 2013 690R for 5k lmao I'd buy it in a heartbeat (and regret it til I sold it obv).

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

The only people selling KTMs are boomers that would rather let the bike rot in their garage than sell it for a reasonable price.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I know the economy is bad and getting worse, but that is simply not translating to cheap bikes in my area yet. In addition to the little Honda Cub I'll be getting when the dealer opens again, I've always wanted a ninja 250 or something similar to flick around city streets. But damned if you can find anything like that in Vegas for anything approaching reasonable.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

Good points all but I sold my '08 SMC a few years ago for almost 7k.

You made money on that bike? I thought I was doing OK selling it for basically what I paid for it

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

right arm posted:

I absolutely would not pay that much for a 7yo bike that has been ridden in the sand and likely crashed (replaced plastics)

$5k - $6k depending on how the bike looks in person is the most I'd pay

We are thinking pretty much the exact same thing then.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

You made money on that bike? I thought I was doing OK selling it for basically what I paid for it

Aw don't feel bad. You did right by me (especially as a college student), and I really appreciate it. But the price hike was more due to selling in Georgia with a good listing, and the guy being really into my harlequin vinyl job. I think he got ripped off but whatever.

It was a fun year with that bike, when it wasn't stranding me. The hawk is a much better bike I don't intend to part with.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I know the economy is bad and getting worse, but that is simply not translating to cheap bikes in my area yet.

It's looking like the motorcycle economy and the car economy are reacting in opposite ways to COVID-19. Motorcycles are viewed as toys so everyone is running out and buying them because they're all cooped up and having to face the inevitability of death, which I guess is making them "say oh no but i never recklessly endangered my life for those sweet cheap thrills" :confused: There's a thread on advrider about it, speaking of being near death

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I work at a shop and I've been amazed to see that this springtime is going almost totally as normal, in terms of service and sales. It's been a bit delayed relating to the weather, but that would be normal in any other year too. Bikes are selling and our board is basically full as of today with bikes to work on. Only side effect is of course we're not really selling any smaller items like helmets, since no one is allowed to come in the shop and check things like that out. But that wasn't a big part of our revenue anyway since we have minimal floor space in the lobby.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

It's looking like the motorcycle economy and the car economy are reacting in opposite ways to COVID-19. Motorcycles are viewed as toys so everyone is running out and buying them because they're all cooped up and having to face the inevitability of death, which I guess is making them "say oh no but i never recklessly endangered my life for those sweet cheap thrills" :confused: There's a thread on advrider about it, speaking of being near death

Well, that thread went about as expected starting with this idiot

advidiot posted:

We're not buying the gloom and doom peddled by much of the media, and grocery store shelves and other necessities have stabilized, negating much of our earlier perceived need to hoard our cash and whatever else that keeps our bank accounts in ultra-conservative, save everything mode.

Whatever, a guy like that probably doesn't have to worry about conserving money. No way am I going out and blowing lots of money on toys with a depression coming.

That said, I cannot wait for cheap Nintendo switches and motorcycles when this all blows over.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I rode to a dealer last week because I needed a tire and they were on sale. I was expecting to mosey around an empty showroom and look at the 2020’s but the place was packed with the unmasked so I stayed outside.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Coydog posted:

Well, that thread went about as expected starting with this idiot

Whatever, a guy like that probably doesn't have to worry about conserving money. No way am I going out and blowing lots of money on toys with a depression coming.

That said, I cannot wait for cheap Nintendo switches and motorcycles when this all blows over.

I generally only buy bikes that have bottomed out in price or are undervalued, but we're in uncharted territory here and that bottom could fall out. Still, I think the general rule will hold that anything titled, running, and in good condition is still going to be worth at least $1500-$2000 regardless of what happens. I would be very very wary of buying bikes in the $5k plus range unless you're going to ride it into the ground or it is a smoking deal.

mewse
May 2, 2006

There are a bunch of married dudes stuck at home looking for projects so they have an excuse to sit in their garages and stare at the wall

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

mewse posted:

There are a bunch of married dudes stuck at home looking for projects so they have an excuse to sit in their garages and stare at the wall

Lol I'm not married.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I've become super interested in getting a 'practical' bike for a daily commuter when/if the current situation blows over. Honda's NC750x DCT is currently at the top of my list, has anyone tried one? The DCT is tempting for all the stop and go city traffic I have to do (no lane splitting in my state.)

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

BabelFish posted:

(no lane splitting in my state.)

be the change you want to see in the world :D

BabelFish posted:

I've become super interested in getting a 'practical' bike for a daily commuter when/if the current situation blows over. Honda's NC750x DCT is currently at the top of my list, has anyone tried one? The DCT is tempting for all the stop and go city traffic I have to do

for a real answer, the DCT I rode on an AT was okay, but also a manual on a bike is easy enough for traffic imho

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I tried Africa twin and Goldwing DCT and both were surprisingly good. You can still downshift in full auto mode. But otherwise, pretty boring. In regular and economy setting, they just go up to highest gear as soon as they can. Test ride before you buy, and not just in a parking lot.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

BabelFish posted:

I've become super interested in getting a 'practical' bike for a daily commuter when/if the current situation blows over. Honda's NC750x DCT is currently at the top of my list, has anyone tried one? The DCT is tempting for all the stop and go city traffic I have to do (no lane splitting in my state.)

it's a big scooter for better or worse. i've had first hand experience riding the ctx700, nc700 and africa twin dcts because those are the progression of bikes my dad rode lol.
there's really no major complaints if performance is not what you're after and DCT is a feature you're set on having. Honda's system is pretty much the best one out there (of the limited pickings) and it gives you atleast a *little* control with sport mode and e-shifters

as for practicality, i mean all you need to learn how to do for traffic is find neutral fast (or split lanes ;) )

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I mean, there's a lever right there on the left but if you want double the complexity and pointless automation then yeah sweet!

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Hmm, thanks guys!

Nitrox posted:

I tried Africa twin and Goldwing DCT and both were surprisingly good. You can still downshift in full auto mode. But otherwise, pretty boring. In regular and economy setting, they just go up to highest gear as soon as they can. Test ride before you buy, and not just in a parking lot.
Yeah, definitely something I'm not buying without a decent test ride at minimum.

Slavvy posted:

I mean, there's a lever right there on the left but if you want double the complexity and pointless automation then yeah sweet!
I'm not planning on getting rid of my manual bikes, just looking for something different for commuting through heavy traffic. Honestly if the electrics were a few grand cheaper I'd probably pick up one of those. I wish I could find good data about the reliability of the DCT.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 10, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
my dad's old DCT africa twin just rolled over 66,000 miles and has never had a major engine component replacement, sooo

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

BabelFish posted:

I rode my father in law’s a bit. It’s pretty boring imo, even in “sport” mode, but would make a solid commuter or lightweight long distance tourer. It’s actually pretty quick but you can’t feel it or hear it. I think I read there was actually some vibration tuned back into the engine so there was feedback. You can fit an XXL helmet in the frunk. It’s not too tall, so comfortable for stop and go.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I had no idea DCT bikes even existed. Presumably there's a manual control as well, is that left foot or have they added even more buttons?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

I had no idea DCT bikes even existed. Presumably there's a manual control as well, is that left foot or have they added even more buttons?

More buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

One does wonder if there's any real point to an actual DCT setup if you can also just have bidirectional quickshifters these days, what with the auto-blip. (Presumably if you wanted an auto gearbox you could just have it quick-shifting on your behalf in an automatic manner) You could argue I guess that it's useful for bikes with throttle-by-cable, except the only company really doing DCT bikes is Honda, and Honda is doing DCT to make them smoother and more commuter-ish, so it's not like you're retaining any of the benefits of a throttle by cable anyway, wrt feedback or INSTANT PAWA or whatever.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 10, 2020