Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Finger cutting has freaked me out since i was like 3, because this was in a book you give to children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it definitely gets bloodier than episode 1 but it doesn't ever get more shocking (what happens to the skull masked character is a bit of a step up, but in content and in presentation, than what's generally going down). it never really tones it down either, though, so if episode 1 was too much for you that wasn't like, a one off thing. if episode 1 was just barely under the line of what you can handle you should be ok, if episode 1 was just a little over the line i'd proceed with caution.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sounds like I'll live. I just didn't want it to escalate much more.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Rinkles posted:

Sounds like I'll live. I just didn't want it to escalate much more.

For what it’s worth, the person I was watching it with generally can’t handle gore, but because everything was kind of an instant thing and not “painful” (or sometimes even comedic) they were fine with it. First episode is definitely the exception and worst imo.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Can I talk about GiTS netflix in here? I mean gently caress I wanted to like it but the 3dcg just drew me out of it everytime. God dammit what a loving waste

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Koirhor posted:

Can I talk about GiTS netflix in here? I mean gently caress I wanted to like it but the 3dcg just drew me out of it everytime. God dammit what a loving waste

Studios just keep beating their head against the CGI wall in anime -- it's been like this since 80s.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5jk8s

Which is kinda funny considering Japanese devs have, more or less, figured out how to make playable anime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugp1GAB3xtw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb7cI2y7tEI

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

2reachmu posted:

Studios just keep beating their head against the CGI wall in anime -- it's been like this since 80s.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5jk8s

Which is kinda funny considering Japanese devs have, more or less, figured out how to make playable anime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugp1GAB3xtw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb7cI2y7tEI

The issue is that TV production schedules/budgets means that its extremely hard to do good cgi.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I thought Kemono Friends was pretty good.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The issue is that TV production schedules/budgets means that its extremely hard to do good cgi.

Yeah workflow is basically forever last week before master crunch. Then fix it up for the Blurays (maybe).

Gripweed posted:

I thought Kemono Friends was pretty good.

So was Hi-Score Girl. NetGits is probably closer to CGI Berzerk in quality.

2reachmu fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 10, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There have been good CG anime, they're just few and far between.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hell, gdgd Fairies was almost a decade ago. Modern bad CGI anime has no excuse

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also timing. Like literally a lot of the peeps that worked for One Punch Man's first season and... I want to say Concrete Revolutio? came down to "right place, right time" circumstances.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the cg in that golgo 13 scene owns

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://gfycat.com/decentfirsthandbison-watamote-anime

https://streamable.com/tibf

https://streamable.com/pn25

bad cgi is bad choices

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I thought SSSS.Gridman had some excellent CG fight scenes, it helps that they're robots instead of fleshpeople, but it looked quite alot better than alot of other CG robots.

I think it really comes down to having the time to really make a good library of assets and a good way to light and color them to the directors' vision. And that to me sounds like a workflow issue: traditional animation has figured out an insanely packed workflow where everything is drawn up and produced just-in-time for airing, but CG workflows have yet to develop this optimisation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the bandori s2 anime was pretty rough but they got a handle on it about halfway through andmanaged some pretty good emotional beats and direction. they got really good at using the 3d for comic timing too.

tbh it's totally possible to make passable looking cg you just have to play to its strengths and hide its weaknesses rather than pretending its like a drawn anime, which is another issue a lot of full cg anime have. the berserk anime is a prime example of this, it goes for angles and shots that'd look fine in a 2d anime but show the imperfections of the models when its 3d.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

The Colonel posted:

golgo 13 owns

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sindai posted:

Nami yo Kiitekure is extremely good.

I looked at a description and it didn't seem especially compelling. What's good about it? I got more time than I know what to do with in quarantine.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

its appeal is extremely tied up in the performance of the main character/VA so its hard to get it from reading a description

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Tales of Woe posted:

its appeal is extremely tied up in the performance of the main character/VA so its hard to get it from reading a description

Also Samura's art style rules and it's conveyed well in the character designs.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Nitrousoxide posted:

I looked at a description and it didn't seem especially compelling. What's good about it? I got more time than I know what to do with in quarantine.

As a fan of the show, one of the things I like about it is that I have no idea what it's about. A lady gets a job at a radio station and some things happen. I have no idea what the story actually is or where any of the plot threads are going.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, considering they aren't using any UNREAL ENGINE SOFTWARE. Jesus christ that simple aquisition would solve so many problems with cg.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that wouldn't do poo poo without all studios having a familiar pipeline for working with it to start

there's no magic "make good cg" program or engine

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Grouchio posted:

Yeah, considering they aren't using any UNREAL ENGINE SOFTWARE. Jesus christ that simple aquisition would solve so many problems with cg.

The production team for No Guns Life did exactly that.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i've seen unreal engine in the credits of a bunch of anime

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Grouchio posted:

In fairness, I believe that part of the issue is that actually animating the sort of rigs that Arc Systems uses is uniquely hellish. IIRC, the average model uses something like 400-600 bones and has about 40k tris. That's probably acceptable when you just have to make a set of canned animations for a video game, but dynamically animating them for an entire series might be more expensive than simply dumping in a larger budget for 2D.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Aikatsu had it's 3D scenes go from being DS level to some of the best on TV during the course of it's run so it's doable. Also Precure in the more recent movies also has some real good 3D cg too

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

It's not so simple as to just having the tool in your arsenal. It also comes down to knowing how to use it.

Here's an example: I learned how to do audio recording via analog magnetic tape during my boyhood years. To the extent that it proved useful for my idiosyncrasies as a recording engineer because it made me less reliant on the whole cut & paste which forced me to be more proficient as a performer. Unfortunately, it also made my recording skillset a fair deal more limited, so even after having worked on records since 2001, when it came time to learn the things I now use pretty much everyday on the job, I basically had to retrain myself, which had to go beyond what I learned on music school and whatnot.

Basically...

The Colonel posted:

there's no magic "make good cg" program or engine

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The CGI in the new GitS is absolute dogshit but they finally put out the dub and I love the dub cast so I gave it another shot. I’m loving the story, and the bank episode was everything that I remember loving about the original SAC series, I just have to accept this is what the monkey paw gave me when I wished for more SAC.

Also the dub cast still rules and I love hearing those voices again.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

What's this show?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

cave emperor posted:

What's this show?

Etotama, from about five years back.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The production team for No Guns Life did exactly that.

Yeah, just for backgrounds, and they were fantastic.

The problem with NGL is a protag bait-n-switch, but in the reverse lovely direction.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

glad i didn't drop dorohedoro. took a different turn than i was expecting.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

2reachmu posted:

So was Hi-Score Girl. NetGits is probably closer to CGI Berzerk in quality.

I couldn't watch more than the trailers as I found the character designs really unappealing but the animation definitely looked good.

There's of course Land of the Lustrous but that played on the CG looking a bit uncanny

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Koirhor posted:

The CG in 2045 is far from the issue. You can tell it's an artistic choice they stuck to with characters redesigned to fit the medium, and on a technical level it's good. It's miles above 99% of other CG shows.

The issue is the writing loving sucks and it tries to trade on the SAC name despite being nothing like SAC.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 10, 2020

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

Best anime CGI incoming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KMMv7lBn0&t=10s
Anime as a medium could have stopped after Dokuro-chan

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Well the second half of SAC 2045 was certainly significantly better than the first half. I'd gotten used to the bank CGI by then and it actually felt more like a proper gits story once they got into the meat of the plot. Also I think the CGI actually really worked in episode 11 to amp up the creepy factor.

Definitely a stumbled start, but I'm quite keen for some more. Also as mentioned above, the dub is out now and those guys rock. I might have to go rewatch the bank episode for peak Batou shenanigans

Vahtooch fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 10, 2020

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I can forgive the animation style, and I'm not having the issues with the writing that you guys have. Just hearing the old cast of SAC back makes it all worth it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gal and Dino is yet another victim of the Roni, hitting a delay after episode 8 in a couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm looking forward to the 2021/2022 COVID-Isekai's that'll hit