Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

cool kids inc. posted:

Stopped by, you have a stunning island and I got some meteors, fingers crossed for enough to make the taurus tub!

Thank you so much! Good luck to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

So my GF’s birthday is today, and she’s opening up her island to all goons! We tried to have people over earlier but Nintendo’s servers had other ideas.

She doesn’t have anything super interesting, but she is Southern Hemisphere.

Anyone wishing her a HBD or writing something silly on her wall would be appreciated. We couldn’t go out to celebrate bc of covid so guests would mean a lot

Dodo code is: 5KWDC

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Since the servers were down I decided to work on my forced perspective scene. I have to make some road and rail designs and order some of the miniature vehicles but the proof of concept is looking good :)

drat, that's looking pretty good. I watched that video on forced perspective the other day and now I want to rearrange my whole island.. :ohdear:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bees on Wheat posted:

drat, that's looking pretty good. I watched that video on forced perspective the other day and now I want to rearrange my whole island.. :ohdear:

I was lucky that I have my house on the only third tier northern area already (it's to the left of the solar panel there) so I didn't really have to move anything serious.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
What determines how many star fragments you get? I read that it's capped at 20 if you're wishing on other people's island and 40 on your own. When I wish on another island I try and do around 30 in case I miscounted and always get 20 fragments of different denominations over the next day, usually a breakdown like 17 star fragments, 1 large fragment and 2 taurus.

Last night I had a shower on my island, I wished over 50 times, today I've got 21 star fragments and 2 taurus fragments and nothing else has shown up for several hours. So that's more than 20 but significantly less than 40. And no large fragments either, boo.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

How do npc visitors work? It’s Sunday and I’ve got Daisy Mae, but no one else. I swear Daisy Mae doesn’t count as taking up a visitor slot. Does this mean that I’m guaranteed to see Celeste or Wisp tonight? Are you even guaranteed to have a visitor every day? Do K.K. And Daisy count as npc visitors?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Looks like servers are back up.

I’ve got meteorsin my townI’ll be afk , if anyone wants to wish on stars.

Dodo code is : 3D8LM

your island was super nice!! :) i think there was a d/c error just now though :(

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Someone seem to have had a comm error and threw my island out of wack, but I'm back open for a little bit for meteor showers

New Dodo code is: FBGB8

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Someone seem to have had a comm error and threw my island out of wack, but I'm back open for a little bit for meteor showers

New Dodo code is: WE ARE CLOSED! Thanks for all the goons that came by!

Dang sorry about that, not sure what happened. I'm open back up though so feel free to try again!

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 10, 2020

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

How do npc visitors work? It’s Sunday and I’ve got Daisy Mae, but no one else. I swear Daisy Mae doesn’t count as taking up a visitor slot. Does this mean that I’m guaranteed to see Celeste or Wisp tonight? Are you even guaranteed to have a visitor every day? Do K.K. And Daisy count as npc visitors?
As far as I'm aware, you don't get rando visitors on weekends because KK and Daisy take up those spots. Similarly, Celeste and Wisp don't care about other visitors, though I'm not sure if they can both pop up at once.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

So my GF’s birthday is today, and she’s opening up her island to all goons! We tried to have people over earlier but Nintendo’s servers had other ideas.

She doesn’t have anything super interesting, but she is Southern Hemisphere.

Anyone wishing her a HBD or writing something silly on her wall would be appreciated. We couldn’t go out to celebrate bc of covid so guests would mean a lot

Dodo code is: 5KWDC

I watered all your flowers and left a gift by the cake on the moon. Cool island!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

bio347 posted:

As far as I'm aware, you don't get rando visitors on weekends because KK and Daisy take up those spots. Similarly, Celeste and Wisp don't care about other visitors, though I'm not sure if they can both pop up at once.

Last weekend I had both Sahara and Daisy Mae on my island at the same time, which is why I was confused that there is no-one on my island today.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

I watered all your flowers and left a gift by the cake on the moon. Cool island!

You made her night! Thanks for stopping by!

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

New Dodo code is: FBGB8

Dang sorry about that, not sure what happened. I'm open back up though so feel free to try again!

Nice digs! I like the playground, muscle beach, and the little jazz area!

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Tetraptous posted:

Nice digs! I like the playground, muscle beach, and the little jazz area!

Thanks so much! I've put far too many hours into the game.

And with the last goon heading home, my island is closed! Thanks for every goon that stopped by!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I was lucky that I have my house on the only third tier northern area already (it's to the left of the solar panel there) so I didn't really have to move anything serious.

..I would have to build a whole series of cliffs to do this in the spot I want. :shobon:

Which, I mean, I might do anyway.. I have been considering moving this pond and the bamboo grove elsewhere.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I need to find the beekeeper hive or whatever that building is called and some other things to work for my model city. I think it's easy to do small forced perspective stuff but making a little diorama is pretty relaxing in itself. Would also give me a spot to put my Robot Hero seeing as Godzilla is attacking one part of it already :v:

Just need gulliver to show up and some more ideas to come to me :shobon:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

So I've had the dumb idea for the past couple weeks to try to collect one of every clothing item (of every color) from ables etc. I'm up to ~1150 or so, and the severe storage crisis I've brought upon myself has caused me to create a second account/house to hold stuff, but I'm just now realizing I don't think I have even 1/4 of the clothes. I don't know the exact number, but I estimated that its probably 4700 or so?

My spergy dream of 100 percenting this dumb game is dying fast. :(
OTOH at least I'm closing in on the Bell Ringer 5M spent acheivement :shrug:

Also transferring poo poo between accounts is like "Now with 100% more inventory management bullshit busywork". Is there no better way to transfer crap around than:
-drop it on the ground *outside only*
-save and close out game
-pick up and put in own storage
-save/close/re-login to main char

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If you're not going to wear it just sell it, since it goes into your catalog.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

My GF was bowled over by y’alls generosity. Thank you goons for helping make her quarantine birthday so special

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

You could mail things to your other character, I think? It's not really any faster, but at least you can take it at your own pace and not have the stuff cluttering up your main storage/the island in the meantime.

Is there a way to access storage in co-op? If so, you could keep swapping leaders and transfer things that way, but that sounds like a huge pain unless you can convince someone else to help you out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

peepsalot posted:

Also transferring poo poo between accounts is like "Now with 100% more inventory management bullshit busywork". Is there no better way to transfer crap around than:
-save and close out game

I feel like this is a nightmare you have brought upon yourself

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Jesus, deleting your town in ACNH is loving bleak. Tom Nook comes out and warns you that not only will your material belongings disappear, but that any trace of you ever existing will be wiped from everyone's memories, including his own. Forget Thanos, Tom Nook just retcons people out of existence at will.

... I guess you could argue it was always bleak; the first game literally tells you that if you destroy your town there will be no survivors.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Argue posted:

... I guess you could argue it was always bleak; the first game literally tells you that if you destroy your town there will be no survivors.

lmao I didn't know that holy poo poo

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I just wish there was a way to allow other local players access to your house storage, but that would be actually convenient so I know that's not in line with the game goals of dragging out every last interaction as long as possible.

Or even just let me put "gifts" directly in their mailbox that I am standing in front of, without going through 20 dialogs per item at the airport.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 10, 2020

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

stop trying to make the game something it isnt and just play it normally

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Argue posted:

Jesus, deleting your town in ACNH is loving bleak. Tom Nook comes out and warns you that not only will your material belongings disappear, but that any trace of you ever existing will be wiped from everyone's memories, including his own. Forget Thanos, Tom Nook just retcons people out of existence at will.

The entire game is honestly incredibly bleak when you look at it with a different perspective.

You are always under the direction and control of your turbo capitalist overlord Tom Nook. He controls the price of labor as well as the local economy and banking, setting you up for an eternity of serfdom. You travel to the island without any economic means to leave, so your only choice is to become entirely in debt to Nook.

Your only way to succeed early on is to travel to areas untouched by the grasp of Tom Nook and to destroy their local ecosystem and strip their natural resources bare.

You cohabitate with animals, in many cases who own and consume their own species or like species, implying that there is a strict caste system by which some animals get to live on Tom Nooks plantation, but some are relegated to imprisonment in the museum or sold as a commodity.

If you remove the cute animal glow from AC, it’s mechanics could easily be transferred to a feudal life or dystopian future simulation.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 10, 2020

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

peepsalot posted:

-save and close out game

No because this isn't a thing the game intends for you to do, its a hell entirely of your own making.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

peepsalot posted:

-save and close out game

Send them in the mail so you get that achievement taken care of at the same time. :unsmigghh:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

peepsalot posted:

-save and close out game

You can use the local multiplayer to swap between your characters on the fly. Just shake the remote, and the other character gets the inventory. :eng101: You can’t access the house storage without a pro controller button layout, so you need at least one of those.

I also think you should only play the game in a way that is fun to you. Real life is full of unavoidable tedium and hardship, but AC is only what you make of it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
There should be a toggle that lets you see any items in your catalog when in the wardrobe, so you can plan your outfits without having a copy of literally everything.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Double Punctuation posted:

There should be a toggle that lets you see any items in your catalog when in the wardrobe, so you can plan your outfits without having a copy of literally everything.

This is actually something Harv's Island is good for, when you're in there you have access to your entire catalogue. Now, what I want is something that shows if clothes are already in your catalogue at the Ables' so I don't accidentally buy three pairs of green clogs.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Today this happened

https://twitter.com/sebas21911/status/1259231272729116673

Hornsby was there too.It was a good day :kimchi:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Yeah I guess I'm just playing like a big dumb dumb and I'll probably just sell off most of the clothes.

Is it so wrong to expect Cutesy Capitalism Simulator to have any feasible way to Collect All the Things though?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

YggiDee posted:

This is actually something Harv's Island is good for, when you're in there you have access to your entire catalogue. Now, what I want is something that shows if clothes are already in your catalogue at the Ables' so I don't accidentally buy three pairs of green clogs.
If you order 100 total things from Nook shopping it unlocks the catalog feature from your Nook phone, so you can't quite do it within the changing room, but stepping just outside you can easily check.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

peepsalot posted:

Yeah I guess I'm just playing like a big dumb dumb and I'll probably just sell off most of the clothes.

Is it so wrong to expect Cutesy Capitalism Simulator to have any feasible way to Collect All the Things though?

Considering its Nintendo, yes, I can't think of a single AC game that's ever let you collect all the items, there's been harsh inventory and storage limits since the series beginning.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

peepsalot posted:

I just wish there was a way to allow other local players access to your house storage, but that would be actually convenient so I know that's not in line with the game goals of dragging out every last interaction as long as possible.

Or even just let me put "gifts" directly in their mailbox that I am standing in front of, without going through 20 dialogs per item at the airport.

I've been tempted to compare the time it takes to do things to, say, Wild World, because in some cases it definitely feels a lot slower to do most things. In WW you bought stacks of letters, wrote them, and then took them to the post office where they were sent; in comparison to NH, where you now have to look at the card rack, get an explanation of how it works, answer three questions about where you're sending it, then suffer from three more dialog options about how the fees (already mentioned at the start) work and then connecting/sending.

There's no reason that you couldn't have a similar situation in NH as in WW - buy cards like a typical shop, take them and write them in your own time, put them in your mailbox to be sent. Handle sending them in the background. Expose problems through, say, the in-game phone.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

I don't have any flat rocky areas along the northern shore of my island; I'll never have a proper forced perspective viewing area. :(

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Judge Tesla posted:

Considering its Nintendo, yes, I can't think of a single AC game that's ever let you collect all the items, there's been harsh inventory and storage limits since the series beginning.
who else remembers playing the original and using the loving post office letter archival system to bank rare/event furniture

those were bleak times, I tell you

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I need to find the beekeeper hive or whatever that building is called and some other things to work for my model city.

I have an extra copy of that recipe, if you want.

Blaziken386 posted:

who else remembers playing the original and using the loving post office letter archival system to bank rare/event furniture

those were bleak times, I tell you

I used to carry a stack of blank cards all the time in New Leaf to use as extra inventory spots while traveling.. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Sometimes I think about what would happen if storage in your house was reduced back to the Gamecube days of needing to own a closet-type item and also you can only store three things in each.

And you couldn't store bugs or fish in them either. Those had to sit in your room.

In the very first version on the N64 a closet could only store ONE ITEM in it. Just one. Better make sure it's a good one.