Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

SARS-CoV-2 Vaccines: Status Report

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

The Weirdly Enduring Appeal of Weird Al Yankovic

National economies collapse; species go extinct; political movements rise and fizzle. But — somehow, for some reason — Weird Al keeps rocking.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/magazine/weird-al-yankovic.html

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
We don't deserve him.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Porfiriato posted:

The Weirdly Enduring Appeal of Weird Al Yankovic

National economies collapse; species go extinct; political movements rise and fizzle. But — somehow, for some reason — Weird Al keeps rocking.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/09/magazine/weird-al-yankovic.html

That was a fantastic read.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0QbbnIYa0M

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk5Dwg5zm2U

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I thought this was interesting. It's long for a comic, bit not actually super long form
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-comic-strip-tour-of-the-wild-world-of-pandemic-modeling/

538 and SMBC cartoonist do an explanation of why the current virus models are kind of crap. Not in a nationalistic finger pointing way but more from a data science perspective.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Here's an interesting article - short on text but rich with photographs - about the final voyage of the ship Endurance, carrying Sir Ernest Shackleton on a doomed voyage to Antarctica. In a incredible triumph of survival, the entire crew made it through the ordeal
https://mashable.com/2015/10/10/the-endurance/?utm

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/shackleton/

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Polar exploration is an interest of mine, especially at the moment when I'll read almost anything that isn't COVID related. Definitely gonna read this when I'm on my laptop so the pictures will load better. Thanks!

I had to unsubscribe from Long Reads emails because I have no time to read the articles, but as I go through my backlog I'll try to post the best here.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Here's an interesting article - short on text but rich with photographs - about the final voyage of the ship Endurance, carrying Sir Ernest Shackleton on a doomed voyage to Antarctica. In a incredible triumph of survival, the entire crew made it through the ordeal
https://mashable.com/2015/10/10/the-endurance/?utm

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/shackleton/

Those are really good. I learned about this when I went on a Patagonian cruise last year. It’s a story that I’m sure Hollywood could do justice, but I don’t trust them not to screw it up. Those photos make me think of the first season of The Terror, except for real and at the opposite end of the world.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Alfred Lansing's book, Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, is the amazing story of the voyage if you're interested. From Wikipedia: "Virtually every diary kept during the expedition was made available to the author, and almost all the surviving members at the time of writing submitted to lengthy interviews. The most significant contribution came from Dr. Alexander Macklin, one of the ship's surgeons, who provided Lansing with many diaries, a detailed account of the perilous journey the crew made to Elephant Island, and months of advice".
I read it quite a few years ago, loved it, and have never forgotten it.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Alfred Lansing's book, Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, is the amazing story of the voyage if you're interested. From Wikipedia: "Virtually every diary kept during the expedition was made available to the author, and almost all the surviving members at the time of writing submitted to lengthy interviews. The most significant contribution came from Dr. Alexander Macklin, one of the ship's surgeons, who provided Lansing with many diaries, a detailed account of the perilous journey the crew made to Elephant Island, and months of advice".
I read it quite a few years ago, loved it, and have never forgotten it.

Agreed. The whole thing is quite astounding.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cacafuego posted:

Those are really good. I learned about this when I went on a Patagonian cruise last year. It’s a story that I’m sure Hollywood could do justice, but I don’t trust them not to screw it up. Those photos make me think of the first season of The Terror, except for real and at the opposite end of the world.

The Terror is based on a real story, they just added a monster to make it less spooky.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
There's a recreation documentary called "Chasing Shackleton" where these guys take a replica of the James Caird and follow Shackleton's journey, complete with period accurate clothing, supplies, and navigation. It looks absolutely miserable.

I don't know where you can watch it now, though.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

There's a recreation documentary called "Chasing Shackleton" where these guys take a replica of the James Caird and follow Shackleton's journey, complete with period accurate clothing, supplies, and navigation. It looks absolutely miserable.

I don't know where you can watch it now, though.

Thanks for sharing this! Now I've got to find it and check it out.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Thanks for sharing this! Now I've got to find it and check it out.

https://www.pbs.org/show/chasing-shackleton/

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

The Terror is based on a real story, they just added a monster to make it less spooky.

I've read two excellent books on the search for the Northwest Passage and both detailed the Franklin Expedition.

Arctic Labyrinth: The Quest for the Northwest Passage (Glyn Williams)
The Man Who Ate His Boots (Anthony Brandt)

The latter has more Franklin Expedition history, while the former has better stories about other explorers.

The Franklin Expedition does have updates since the publication of the two books. Both the Erebus and Terror have been found. Artifacts.

At least some good came out of the Franklin disaster - everyone's attempts at finding the crew led to huge chunks of Canada being mapped for the first time.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Colleague sets a man up to appear as a terrorist because he's getting attention from a girl that he's crushing on. He's brown so of course this went way beyond where it should have.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

What immunity to Covid-19 might actually mean

A friend who has a PhD in immunology posted this on Facebook.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
FILM FROM THE ASHES - A beautiful but deadly art is reborn at the Nitrate Picture Show

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ultrafilter posted:

What immunity to Covid-19 might actually mean

A friend who has a PhD in immunology posted this on Facebook.

Thanks this was really informative.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Polar exploration is an interest of mine, especially at the moment when I'll read almost anything that isn't COVID related. Definitely gonna read this when I'm on my laptop so the pictures will load better. Thanks!

I had to unsubscribe from Long Reads emails because I have no time to read the articles, but as I go through my backlog I'll try to post the best here.

The Worst Journey in the World is a great read about Scott's 1910 Antarctic expedition, which ended poorly.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I have a whole collection of disastrous explorations on my Kindle. Here are the polar ones:

--Island of the Lost by Joan Druett. Two different ships wreck on the same island 285 miles south of New Zealand at the same time in 1864. They face the same struggles, but one crew fares much better than the other.

--Endurance by Alfred Lansing. Shackleton. Nothing more needs to be said.

--Alone on the Ice by David Roberts. Douglas Mawson, exploring Antarctica in 1912, has some very bad luck.

--Frozen in Time by Owen Beatty. The exhumation and study of the mummified bodies of the first three men to die on Franklin's Northwest Passage. This has color pictures and did not translate well to the Kindle.

I believe there is a Polar Disaster Literature thread in the Book Barn as well.

HelloIAmYourHeart has a new favorite as of 01:45 on May 10, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Why the Coronavirus Is So Confusing

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Endurance is a fantastic book. I don't even know where I got it, it just showed up in my house one day and I read it in one sitting. I can't even imagine going through all of that.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Real Lord of the Flies.

This is uplifting as gently caress and nothing like the work of fiction.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-the-world-s-only-feudal-lord-outclassed-the-nazis-to-save-her-people?utm_source=pocket-newtab

How the World’s Only Feudal Lord Outclassed the Nazis to Save Her People

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Not so much a longform article but it's long. An oral history of Mad Max: Fury Road

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Not the longest article but kinda mindblowing that there were Australian Aboriginals living traditionally right up until after I was born.

The day the Pintupi Nine entered the modern world

quote:

In 1984 a group of Australian Aboriginal people living a traditional nomadic life were encountered in the heart of the Gibson desert in Western Australia. They had been unaware of the arrival of Europeans on the continent, let alone cars - or even clothes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Inceltown posted:

The Real Lord of the Flies.

This is uplifting as gently caress and nothing like the work of fiction.

Ah heck I'm all tearful now.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
A Biblical Mystery at Oxford

... and Washington and Waco and Syria. A tale about lost manuscripts and archaeology, where it's not so much a question of who's lying as how many different people are lying.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
And a related one from a few years earlier: the unbelievable story of Jesus's wife

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

nonathlon posted:

And a related one from a few years earlier: the unbelievable story of Jesus's wife

What an amazing article; thank you!

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
The Doting Boyfriend Who Robbed Armored Cars
A tip to the FBI meant their main suspect in a string of ultra-violent armored car robberies was someone nobody would have suspected.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

America’s Patchwork Pandemic Is Fraying Even Further

e: Also We Are All Professionals Now: Or, How Did Grocery Workers Become Essential “Heroes”?

ultrafilter has a new favorite as of 18:11 on May 20, 2020

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
This has been a great page of content

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Yeah this is now one of my favorite articles

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

This article about diabetes and amputations in the Mississippi delta was posted in the covid-19 thread in cspam in response to a doctor sharing a story about a womans rotting foot from a 'spider bite' and her fear of being admitted to hospital due to the virus.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

This links to a Twitter post about monkeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's a good post, but this is what I meant to put there.