Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Indeed. I didn't savescum at all on this playthrough, and I'm glad of it.

This game is all about failure - about accepting it and embracing it.

Yeah, the only time I almost savescummed was after the heated disco moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Flanders: If it's clear and yella, you got juice there fella. If it's tangy and brown, you're in cider town. Now, there's 2 exceptions, blah blah

Volition [Legendary: Failure] - ooh... you can stay, but I'm leavin.

*Homer collapses*

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what inner voice makes homer shriek TRAMAPOLINE! TRAMBOPOLINE! and run into a wall?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what inner voice makes homer shriek TRAMAPOLINE! TRAMBOPOLINE! and run into a wall?

pretty sure that's a composure failure

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Interesting fact about the original Pathologic: there are three player characters, and whichever two you aren't playing as pick the worst dialogue options and take the worst route possible through their story. You really end up hating them by the end.

You know this could be an interesting take on DE itself. Play the story from someone else's perspective and try to accomplish some other goal while Harry and Kim are doing their investigation. Ruby would probably be an interesting protagonist for that sort of thing.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

lmao

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Goddamn it's perfect

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
My favorite moment in the game was when Empathy strongly ordered me to not arrest Klassje, which made an utter mess of things later on. Or Suggestion letting me kiss my ex wife and then saying "all my ideas are terrible man" 👌

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

thebardyspoon posted:

They did put out a message saying to hold on to your save game so I wouldn't be surprised if they do some sort of "the next morning" type thing. Nothing massive but a little hour or so of content that would be dusting off the events of the previous day, like telling Lena about the mantis and showing them the picture if you got it, that sort of thing.

I hope not. Harry seeing her again would ruin the story.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's an extremely unsubtle hint that the search for the cocaine skull is a planned bit of DLC so that is probably what they mean when they say "hold on to your save". It would likely just insert into the game directly so you can do it whenever you want.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I want to know if an assassin firing square bullets makes his own square cartridges and square rifled barrels.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Animal-Mother posted:

I want to know if an assassin firing square bullets makes his own square cartridges and square rifled barrels.

I think it's fair to say that an assassin firing square bullets doesn't cut corners.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
You fucker.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

popewiles posted:

I think it's fair to say that an assassin firing square bullets doesn't cut corners.

WOW

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

popewiles posted:

alright, Kim

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The question is that the result of boxcars or snake eyes

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's square bullet holes. It's Anton Chigurh.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

itry posted:

It's square bullet holes. It's Anton Chigurh.

Someone did not pay attention during the ending

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

popewiles posted:

He was tired of trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the square bullets are icecubes, that's why they're never found and the killer is waiting for spring

i do not know why pages of the case file are missing

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

1. [Logic - Legendary] Uh, Aurora Borealis?
-1 He knows the hams are grilled
-2 He's from Utica
+1 They are pretty good hams

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 11, 2020

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Xarbala posted:

tbh I hate the Bachelor even while I'm playing him

Yeah, even when you play as the Bachelor (P1 end game spoilers), Artemy is the one who finds the cure while Danill is faffing about with the Polyhedron and his canon ending is to destroy the town and kill everyone in it to contain the plague and maintain the Polyhedron's mirace. I am really curious how his playthrough in 2 will be, if ever.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
One of the replies linked this
https://twitter.com/GuerrillaCollec

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Doc Hawkins posted:

i do not know why pages of the case file are missing

Presumably because Harry solved the case, but didn’t arrest the killer and instead chose to obscure their identity.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1259842196133556226

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Something new being announced?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/632470/view/220952328910

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

ah boners. this is 25% off, and I bought it like 4 days ago.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

ah boners. this is 25% off, and I bought it like 4 days ago.

Me too. At least I am loving the game so far.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i just finished my second time through since the lockdown started and i love this game. i hosed up a lot of stuff on purpose this time through... but i cannot bring myself to be mean to Kim.

ending spoilers the conversation with the whole team at the end is a bit weird (and way weirder with cuno there) but the dolores dei dream and the phasmid scene are both so beautiful. i was fascinated by the dolores dei stained glass on my first playthough and that island dream blew my mind. god, even the boat ride over with SAD FM blasting is so good.

on a related note, i'm halfway through "the city & the city" because of this thread and i'm enjoying it a lot. thanks!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kaysette posted:

i just finished my second time through since the lockdown started and i love this game. i hosed up a lot of stuff on purpose this time through... but i cannot bring myself to be mean to Kim.

ending spoilers the conversation with the whole team at the end is a bit weird (and way weirder with cuno there) but the dolores dei dream and the phasmid scene are both so beautiful. i was fascinated by the dolores dei stained glass on my first playthough and that island dream blew my mind. god, even the boat ride over with SAD FM blasting is so good.

on a related note, i'm halfway through "the city & the city" because of this thread and i'm enjoying it a lot. thanks!

I think the thing about (ending spoilers) the ending debriefing is that it sort of had to be there because while the dream and the phasmid are the emotional resolution of the story, the debriefing is basically the resolution of the game. It's the part where the game tallies up all the stuff you did just to acknowledge that yes, it noticed. It's like the ending slides from the original Fallout games - it's a way of making your decisions seem a bit more impactful because the game didn't just forget about them.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the thing about (ending spoilers)

just pitying the fool that doesn't have enough esprit-de-corps

DETECTIVE

ARRIVING

IN

THE

SCENE

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dead gay comedy forums posted:

just pitying the fool that doesn't have enough esprit-de-corps

DETECTIVE

ARRIVING

IN

THE

SCENE

I should do my second playthrough with max PSY. My first one was with a 6/1/2/3 build and I missed a lot of good PSY interactions (other than Inner Empire, I made sure to skill that up as much as I could).

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the thing about (ending spoilers) the ending debriefing is that it sort of had to be there because while the dream and the phasmid are the emotional resolution of the story, the debriefing is basically the resolution of the game. It's the part where the game tallies up all the stuff you did just to acknowledge that yes, it noticed. It's like the ending slides from the original Fallout games - it's a way of making your decisions seem a bit more impactful because the game didn't just forget about them.

Yeah, it's exactly like that. The game basically does a pretty traditional narrative structure at the end, but with a bunch of twists that make it very special. You have an unwinnable bossfight where all you can do fails you, then you get a 'fight' against a final boss where defeating them causes you to achieve a whole bunch of things if done properly but none which actually make things better, than the catharsis from encountering a true shard of beauty and wonder in the world, and finally a denouement to provide some closure. It hits every angle it needed to cover very, very well.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It seems pretty common for people to have a 'that's it?' type reaction to the ending, but there are a lot of subtle virtues to the way they did it. Most importantly it was extremely healthy for the scope of the project as a whole to keep the focus squarely on the case/martinaise/the protagonist's hangups. But it's also extremely easy for this type of game to outstay its welcome and rare to be left immediately wanting more.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I thought the ending was phenomenal and ZA/UM fully stuck that landing. I’ll never understand the disappointment for that ending.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I read the "talking with your cop team" thing as post-ending extra scene of sorts. The actual ending was the your ex, the bug and an old commie and it was phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So about the world of Elysium: is it literally a shattered world? Like someone blew up a perfectly normal planet and the pieces are being held together by the Pale, which is apparently... *unreality*? :psyduck: