Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Ok, so in lieu of more instances of our favorite O-poster implying that people are mentally unstable and dunking on other posters, here's a bit of an image-heavy chili post.

I'm moving into my new apartment early June so I essentially conceded the entirety of my balcony to my plants. As per my previous report, it has been a wild ride on account of some of my own failings, the majority of which can be attributed to heavy Beleuchtung that resulted in forced stutzing of the plants and some infections of the cut stems. I generally followed the rule of never Beschneiding your Pflanzen in the evening, or during a cold / humid day, but there's always a Restrisiko of the Schnittstellen not healing in a timely fashion and contracting an infection, and that's what caught most of my plants this season.

In any case, here's the panorama-view of my plants. (please excuse the odd filters in some of the pictures, I generally don't bother with telling my phone to gently caress off with auto-filters)

This is my Numex Twilight, the most surprisingly-feel-good chili of the season.
The Früchte reif from purple, through yellow, then orange, and finally red, and it's just a beautiful sight to behold. This plant was the fastest one to recover from the initial infection and drove skyward after losing most of its lower leaves.

The color-switch of the chilis is just a loving beautiful sight to behold.
(Please disregard the Holzstäbchen and Kreppband on the left, the plant took a dive during a windiger Tag two weeks ago and instead of just tearing off the Zweig, I chose to splint and nurse the off-shoot, and it looks like the injured arm has survived :shobon:)

My Apache has been going absolutely nuts for quite a while now. It's not quite visible in the picture, but she's carrying upwards of 50 fledgling-chilis already. In the middle of the picture, you can see one of the Früchte ripening up to a solid red.

Here's a pic of the first ripe chilis that I managed to harvest this season from my Apache mid-April.

Here's my Peach Ghost Scorpion, trucking along happily despite some form of sickness that I initially thought was a strain of the Tabakvirus.
They're a Naga/Habanero Hybrid, so the Früchte have the exact same shape and texture of the Carolina Reaper while not looking quite as angry.

For reference, here are the chilis a couple of weeks ago:

They're starting to finally shift colors :3:

My Ajit-Pineapple was hit the second-hardest in the infection-wave, but she's now recovering nicely and has started do bild aus her first couple of tiny Früchte. I'm excited to see the size of the Chilis because they're essentially supposed to be larger versions of the lemon drop chilis I had last season.

My Chocolate Habanero is the single plant that hasn't been touched by any of the ailments my other plants suffered from, and she's been going absolutely loving nuts. I tried curbing her growth initially, but then stopped when I saw the effects on the other plants. So she's now at almost 1,5m and is carrying around 20 Chilis.

My Carolina Reaper took a solid hit early on, lost most of her lower-stem leaves, but is now trucking on rather konsequent.
She's the only plant that hasn't shown signs of being bestäubt yet, but I'm not really worried about that.

The Lemon Drop is the one plant I'm still quite concerned with since she was the one hit the hardest in the initial infection wave. I didn't cut her back a lot early on and chose to not do any of the Ausgeizen you generally want to practice, so she developed a bunch of strong branches from the bottom up that were perfectly fine, but then dropped the majority of her leaves when the infection hit. This wouldn't have been a huge concern for me, but now she's starting to develop a whole bunch of Früchte, which means the amount of Blattwerk she has may not be sufficient to supply all of the Früchte with sufficient nutrients, so this may still turn into an issue.
My only recourse is going to be to remove all the Früchte and kapp the niederen Verzweigungen so she can develop more of a canopy before going for another round of Früchte.
I don't like hurting my plants, so I'm hoping she'll pull through :ohdear:
Those photos are so good. :kimchi:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Welp, thanks for coming anyway, Namaste. :)
Your plant posts are good, but they're not THAT good. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't like hurting my plants, so I'm hoping she'll pull through :ohdear:

Get those chilis indoors :ohdear: Dunno how it is down in Bayern but we're in full-on Eisheiligen mode here in Hessen after tomorrow.

My chilishop24 plants are doing... fine? They aren't growing super fast (well, the piri-piri is, but the habanero is super short and bushy at this point). I need to go umtopf the piri-piri into its final home in the next couple days, kinda at a loss with what to do about the lemon drop (maybe 10 cm tall?) and the habanero (maybe 8cm) at this point tho.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Drone posted:

Get those chilis indoors :ohdear: Dunno how it is down in Bayern but we're in full-on Eisheiligen mode here in Hessen after tomorrow.

My chilishop24 plants are doing... fine? They aren't growing super fast (well, the piri-piri is, but the habanero is super short and bushy at this point). I need to go umtopf the piri-piri into its final home in the next couple days, kinda at a loss with what to do about the lemon drop (maybe 10 cm tall?) and the habanero (maybe 8cm) at this point tho.

Believe me when I say that I've been religiously watching the forecasts over the last two months to judge whether to keep my plants outside.

I'm probably going to have to bring them inside for the last time between Monday night and Wednesday, but I think we're out of the woods afterwards.

/edit: also, your chilis should be more than fine. Since you received them pre-potted, I wouldn't häng myself auf on mere growth. They're probably well-set in the pots they came in, and if you umtopfed them after delivery, they're probably going hard into developing their Wurzelgeflecht and not treibing aus a lot.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 9, 2020

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Mithaldu posted:

That sounds fun, got any more details?

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/wissen/klaerwerke-als-fruehwarnsysteme-abwasser-soll-hinweise-auf-coronavirus-dunkelziffer-geben/25813784.html

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

What the gently caress??? Holy poo poo that is more people than on a regular saturday pre corona.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Hopper posted:

What the gently caress??? Holy poo poo that is more people than on a regular saturday pre corona.

It's a protest against corona countermeasures.

Lots of people have decided that they'd rather risk getting sick than continue to live under restrictions. Of course there are some problems with that: Chances are good they think Covid is much more harmless than it actually is, and since it's really contagious they're not just making the decision for themselves.

But I GUESS in principle it's not completely unreasonable to want to take back the power over your own life.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah well they have that power, they are free to jump of a bridge any time. Personal freedom ends where it endangers others. Period.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That article on the long-term effects of the rona is terrifying. If we end up with a couple percent of the population on disability that's gonna do a number on die Volkswirtschaft and they're gonna try to get that money back from somewhere

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

That article on the long-term effects of the rona is terrifying. If we end up with a couple percent of the population on disability that's gonna do a number on die Volkswirtschaft and they're gonna try to get that money back from somewhere

How about we confiscate from the people protesting against the Corono-measures?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Libluini posted:

How about we confiscate from the people protesting against the Corono-measures?

I'm 100% confident that they're just going to extend Rentenalter and stipulate that the Kasse now only zahls for the Zahnarzt to look at half your teeth because you only need that many for chewing or something

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

:crossarms: Alright then

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Perestroika posted:

:crossarms: Alright then

Flatten the Lernkurve.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

oliwan posted:

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY?

:blastu:

Wear the mask, Oliwan.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Haven't been keeping up with the German news all that well since I moved back to Scotland a couple of months ago. Have they announced a definitive date when the lockdown will end, at least in Berlin? I know that things will never really go back to normal, even after this first wave is contained, but I'm anxious to get back to Berlin so I can see my friends and go back to university and all that. (That, and my queerphobic father is becoming increasingly unbearable to live around.)

e: on second thought, looking through the past couple of pages that's kind of a stupid idea tbh, it looks like Germany's nowhere close to actually defeating this thing and it's probably not safe for me to move back yet. God loving damnit

Venomous fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 10, 2020

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Venomous posted:

Haven't been keeping up with the German news all that well since I moved back to Scotland a couple of months ago. Have they announced a definitive date when the lockdown will end, at least in Berlin? I know that things will never really go back to normal, even after this first wave is contained, but I'm anxious to get back to Berlin so I can see my friends and go back to university and all that. (That, and my queerphobic father is becoming increasingly unbearable to live around.)

e: on second thought, looking through the past couple of pages that's kind of a stupid idea tbh, it looks like Germany's nowhere close to actually defeating this thing and it's probably not safe for me to move back yet. God loving damnit

I not entirely sure where you got that idea from. I mean, yes, I'll stipulate to us circlejerking over a bunch of Roniprotests and reopening too fast, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the relative "safety" at this point in time.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I not entirely sure where you got that idea from. I mean, yes, I'll stipulate to us circlejerking over a bunch of Roniprotests and reopening too fast, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the relative "safety" at this point in time.

I mean, you're entirely right and I am admittedly depressionposting right now, so I'm probably just reading a lot into the whole atmosphere that isn't really reflected in reality.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The reopening is hasty and the protests are ridiculously stupid and counterproductive.
But at least right now, the active cases still keep falling by about 500-100 a day. We will probably fall under 15.000 active cases before that starts swelling up again.

But I do think that Germany might be the safest place in the EU with regards to that. Maybe France is doing better, I dunno.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Hey, just checking in to report my appreciation for each chili post.

What's a reasonable prereq for abandoning the precautions? If you tie it to number of new cases going down, they're just gonna go up again, right?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

cant cook creole bream posted:

Maybe France is doing better, I dunno.
Nope.

Vanadium posted:

What's a reasonable prereq for abandoning the precautions?
Population-wide testing and individual testing tracking books. We'll probably get there with antibody tests long before the vaccine.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

Nope.

Population-wide testing and individual testing tracking books. We'll probably get there with antibody tests long before the vaccine.

Okay, so I'm gonna get used to quarantine over here. :v:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/watch_union/status/1259150244576624641?s=19

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
The quarantine seems to melt some people's brains. It is sad and terrifying and very interesting to witness all at the same time.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/littlewisehen/status/1259168192557125632?s=20

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Hopper posted:

Personal freedom ends where it endangers others. Period.

That is very much not the reality we live in. Our personal liberty is based on endangering others.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

cebrail posted:

That is very much not the reality we live in. Our personal liberty is based on endangering others.

Our reality is also full of monarchies and dictatorships, but that doesn't mean we should live in one

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Had a kinda surprising conversation with my Vermieterin today, who also runs her own restaurant as a Familienbetrieb.

To my surprise, when I asked her about reopening this coming Friday, she basically said "lol I don't even think I want to reopen yet. Delivery service has been going good -- granted I'm only making 30%-40% of what I made before, but I get to work alone in the kitchen and have zero contact with anyone who might be infected at all, except when I make deliveries and I always wear gloves/facemask anyway. I kinda wish the lockdown were going on for another 4 weeks to be honest."

But Number Must Go Up.

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 10, 2020

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I mean, nobody is forcing her to open up to the public. She can do delivery as long she wants to.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Libluini posted:

Our reality is also full of monarchies and dictatorships, but that doesn't mean we should live in one

Obviously not. But "Personal liberty ends wherever it endangers others. Period." doesn't sound like a very practical ideal. It means, for example, no more travel. At all. There's no way to move your body anywhere without endangering someone. And it probably leads to hermitism because what can you really do without endangering someone? And if you say that's a redactio ad absurdum, then you're really saying "personal liberty ends wherever it endangers others too much" and that's not really making a point against people who say that their Grundrechte should be more important than other peoples health (or whatever their point is).

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
What are you even saying here? There's a clear legal definition of 'too much' endangerment in the case of travel for example.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/DaxWerner/status/1259475499371372551?s=19

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Drone posted:

Had a kinda surprising conversation with my Vermieterin today, who also runs her own restaurant as a Familienbetrieb.

To my surprise, when I asked her about reopening this coming Friday, she basically said "lol I don't even think I want to reopen yet. Delivery service has been going good -- granted I'm only making 30%-40% of what I made before, but I get to work alone in the kitchen and have zero contact with anyone who might be infected at all, except when I make deliveries and I always wear gloves/facemask anyway. I kinda wish the lockdown were going on for another 4 weeks to be honest."

But Number Must Go Up.

It feels like most people around where I live are a bit more relaxed about occasionally seeing friends, going shopping for essentials, but nobody I know is planning on going to go back to "normal" just because stuff can open up, and from the behavior of everybody I see that seems to be the norm.

I wish my favorite restaurant would do delivery, I'd order from em once a week to support em even though I usually only go there every couple of months.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

From a Corona protest.

Uuuuuuuuhhh....

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Yeah, that’s from a story making its rounds on Facebook how slaves in the US were sometimes tortured by making them wear an iron muzzle which obviously means that being asked to wear a Mundschutz in your local Rewe is basically the same as being a slave

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The irony is they are all obedient slaves to capitalism and consumerism. No mask needed to discipline them.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hopper posted:

The irony is they are all obedient slaves to capitalism and consumerism. No mask needed to discipline them.

Wer sich nicht bewegt spürt seine Fesseln nicht.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Keep away from Verschwörungstheoretiker in your Umfeld. These people are gonna be the new Typhoid Marrys for a very long time. :sever:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Line outside the McFit in Köln-Kalk at midnight tonight

quote:

Unter den ersten 100 Trainierenden verloste McFit am Montagmorgen obendrein eine Reise für zwei Personen nach Los Angeles – ein zusätzlicher Anreiz für ein nächtliches Workout.

quote:

Ganz wie früher ist es nicht, viele Geräte sind gesperrt, damit niemand Schulter an Schulter trainiert. Disziplin ist angesagt, doch sie wird – zumindest in großen Teilen – auch von allen Kunden auch gelebt.

Davon überzeugen sich zu später Stunde zwei Mitarbeiter des Kölner Ordnungsamts, die die Einhaltung der Regeln kontrollieren, die schon am Nachmittag mit der Studioleitung abgesprochen wurden.

Am Ende heißt es: Daumen hoch, alles im grünen Bereich. Das gilt ab sofort nun auch wieder für die Fitnessstudio-Kunden in Köln.
https://www.ksta.de/koeln/oeffnung-in-corona-krise-lange-schlange-vor-koelner-fitnessstudio-bereits-um-mitternacht-36675770

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
loving lol. Reminder that the McFit owner organized the Duisburg Loveparade.

Thanks for the extensive chili update Duzzy! I compared my pictures from last year and am extremely zuversichtlich my Überwinterung survivors have a nice (if malträtiert looking) head start, but not quite as good as yours. Guess Überwinterung isn’t really worth the hassle but they make kinda nice Zimmerpflanzen (until they lose all their Blätter come spring).

I still think it’s hilarious the chili selection at my gardener was bell peppers, “red chilis” and Carolina reapers without anything in-between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Survival of the fittest put to the test