Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

This explains why 70% of doctors, nurses, and medical techs die of asphyxiation within their first six months on clinical assignments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Brawnfire posted:

Viruses and bacteria saturate the inside of the mask too, the ones that would be floating around the grocery store otherwise

Augh

People have a real hard time grasping that a mask is like car insurance. Its not for you, its for everyone else you might hit. If it was all about you we wouldnt need to require it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

PeterCat posted:

I mean, poo poo, I have a good job, but between the mortgage, paying for a new furnace, and childcare who has money for a motorcycle I can only ride 4 months a year that would cost more than my car?

Yeah, I won't lie, the idea of a motorcycle has appealed to me every once in awhile. But, like you said, between various important expenses and whatever other real life reasons, how would you justify a stupidly expensive seasonal toy like that? Plus, you'd have to get a different license to be allowed to even drive it.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

the_steve posted:

Yeah, I won't lie, the idea of a motorcycle has appealed to me every once in awhile. But, like you said, between various important expenses and whatever other real life reasons, how would you justify a stupidly expensive seasonal toy like that? Plus, you'd have to get a different license to be allowed to even drive it.

The license is pretty easy, HD even puts on riding courses. It's just an endorsement on your regular license. The good part about all the Boomers getting older is you can get a used HD fairly cheaply, but that doesn't help Harley's bottom line.

You can get a rideable Japanese cruiser for around $2000.

But yeah, good luck to Harley getting younger people to buy a new bike.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 9, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LonsomeSon posted:

This explains why 70% of doctors, nurses, and medical techs die of asphyxiation within their first six months on clinical assignments!
Nah that's just covid-19.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Really looking forward to two weeks from how, when we start getting the FWDs about how staying inside is bad because it exposes you to harmful miasma trapped within your house, and the true preventative is to ensure a proper balancing of the bodies humors.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Fool thou art. The onlie trewe et atteſted salve of the crownpoison is to breeth hevy upon a stele blade, then to apply weapon-salve to the sword.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Friends, if this weren't posted by my insane Trumpfan stepdad, I would have fully believed it was a joke.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Golbez posted:

Friends, if this weren't posted by my insane Trumpfan stepdad, I would have fully believed it was a joke.

Isn't most of this stuff a joke when you really look at it? Not always an intentional one, mind you..

Good trick for Pelosi to be conceived when she was already seven years old, though, given she was born in 1940. Or maybe that's just what they want you to think... (I admit I didn't bother checking any of the birthdates, I just know that one's wrong.)

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 10, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So are the Clintons' birth certificates fake too? :monocle:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Golbez posted:

Ill do it:

Al Gore - March 31, 1948
Hillary - October 26, 1947
Kerry - December 11, 1943
Dean - November 17, 1948
Pelosi - March 26, 1940
Feinstein - June 22, 1933
Schumer - November 23, 1950
Boxer - November 11, 1940

So hur hur hur they must be aliens too yuk yuk yuk!

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 10, 2020

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

happyhippy posted:

Ill do it:

Al Gore - March 31, 1948
Hillary - October 26, 1947
Kerry - December 11, 1943
Dean - November 17, 1948
Pelosi - March 26, 1940
Feinstein - June 22, 1933
Schumer - November 23, 1950
Boxer - November 11, 1940

So hur hur hur they must be aliens too yuk yuk yuk!

You think those are the real birthdays????

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Cerepol posted:

You think those are the real birthdays????

Sounds like someone fell for Google doing damage control when the secret got out!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ashcans posted:

Really looking forward to two weeks from how, when we start getting the FWDs about how staying inside is bad because it exposes you to harmful miasma trapped within your house, and the true preventative is to ensure a proper balancing of the bodies humors.

Two weeks from now? Idiots have been arguing this now. It's a conflating of a few things :

-People understand that in normal circumstances it's fine if kids get dirty or fight off normal colds and we like to imagine getting dirty /exposed inoculates us against minor things

-Grossly misunderstanding herd immunity and assuming Covid-19 can be beaten just by getting it and shrugging it off.

So you mash those two dumb things together and you get people thinking that staying indoors will just make you more sick. I've already seen a lot of talk on FB pointing out examples of people who were sheltering in place who inexplicably got sick anyway. When you have people that don't follow the 'rules' staying healthy and people going full Howard Hughes and still getting sick it just reinforces all these bad ideas and misconceptions.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Panfilo posted:

Two weeks from now? Idiots have been arguing this now. It's a conflating of a few things :

-People understand that in normal circumstances it's fine if kids get dirty or fight off normal colds and we like to imagine getting dirty /exposed inoculates us against minor things

-Grossly misunderstanding herd immunity and assuming Covid-19 can be beaten just by getting it and shrugging it off.

So you mash those two dumb things together and you get people thinking that staying indoors will just make you more sick. I've already seen a lot of talk on FB pointing out examples of people who were sheltering in place who inexplicably got sick anyway. When you have people that don't follow the 'rules' staying healthy and people going full Howard Hughes and still getting sick it just reinforces all these bad ideas and misconceptions.

I had a a former coworker who should know better being a vet tech (or formally haven’t kept up with her) who posted a vid from a “doctor”, some guy wearing scrubs, about how we need to go outside be exposed to germs, and by keeping us locked up they’re deliberately destroying our immune systems so when they let us out we’ll all die from the common cold or whatever

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

The funniest part of this to me is the implication that people riding HDs now wear helmets, when boomer bikers loving hate helmets to the point that motorcycle law firms proudly advertise their fights against helmet laws.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

There is a Facebook post going around saying that a Supreme Court decision from 1866 shows that any governor that sets up a stay at home order has forfeited their office.

Unfortunately, there is no section like that in the ruling and the ruling has absolutely nothing to do with governors.

Also, it talks about 50 states when there are only 37 at the time.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/05/09/fact-check-social-distancing-not-unlawful-under-1866-supreme-court-case/3093147001/

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

quote:

I TALKED TO A MAN TODAY . . .

I talked with a man today, an 80+ year old man. I asked him if there was anything I can get him while this Corona virus scare was gripping America.

He simply smiled, looked away and said:

"Let me tell you what I need! [pause] I need to believe, at some point, this country my generation fought for [pause] I need to believe this nation we handed safely to our children and their children [pause] . . .

I need to know this generation will quit being a bunch of sissies . . . that they respect what they've been given . . . that they've earned what others sacrificed for."

I wasn't sure where the conversation was going or if it was going anywhere at all. So, I sat there, quietly observing.

"You know, I was a little boy during WWII. Those were scary days. We didn't know if we were going to be speaking English, German or Japanese at the end of the war. There was no certainty, no guarantees like Americans enjoy today.

And no home went without sacrifice or loss. Every house, up and down every street, had someone in harm's way. Maybe their Daddy was a soldier, maybe their son was a sailor, maybe it was an uncle. Sometimes it was the whole drat family . . . fathers, sons, uncles . . .

Having someone, you love, sent off to war . . . it wasn't less frightening than it is today. It was scary as Hell. If anything, it was more frightening. We didn't have battlefront news. We didn't have email or cellphones. You sent them away and you hoped...you prayed. You may not hear from them for months, if ever. Sometimes a mother was getting her son's letters the same day Dad was comforting her over their child's death.

And we sacrificed. You couldn't buy things. Everything was rationed. You were only allowed so much milk per month, only so much bread, toilet paper. EVERYTHING was restricted for the war effort. And what you weren't using, what you didn't need, things you threw away, they were saved and sorted for the war effort. My generation was the original recycling movement in America.

And we had viruses back then...serious viruses. Things like polio, measles, and such. It was nothing to walk to school and pass a house or two that was quarantined. We didn't shut down our schools. We didn't shut down our cities. We carried on, without masks, without hand sanitizer. And do you know what? We persevered. We overcame. We didn't attack our President, we came together. We rallied around the flag for the war. Thick or thin, we were in it to win. And we would lose more boys in an hour of combat than we lose in entire wars today."

He slowly looked away again. Maybe I saw a small tear in the corner of his eye. Then he continued:

"Today's kids don't know sacrifice. They think sacrifice is not having coverage on their phone while they freely drive across the country. Today's kids are selfish and spoiled. In my generation, we looked out for our elders. We helped out with single moms whose husbands were either at war or dead from war. Today's kids rush [to] the store, buying everything they can . . . no concern for anyone but themselves. It's shameful the way Americans behave these days. None of them deserve the sacrifices their granddads made.

So, no I don't need anything. I appreciate your offer but, I know I've been through worse things than this virus. But maybe I should be asking you, what can I do to help you? Do you have enough pop to get through this, enough steak? Will you be able to survive with 113 channels on your TV?"

I smiled, fighting back a tear of my own . . . now humbled by a man in his 80's. All I could do was thank him for the history lesson, leave my number for emergency and leave with my ego firmly tucked in my rear.

I talked to a man today. A real man. An American man from an era long gone and forgotten.
We will never understand the sacrifices. We will never fully earn their sacrifices. But we should work harder to learn about them . . . learn from them . . . . . to respect them.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

speaking to a man willingly will be logged for your Gender Eradication Compliance Record, your sissy baby steak government welfare rations will be reduced as punishment.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Millennials and/or Gen Z, famously known for eating loaded sloppy joes or bowls of cereal while driving. I always hate how erratic my driving gets when I steer with my knees so I can dip my roast beef in the au jus.

"Okay, well I'll go ahead and get you TP anyway just so I don't have to hear something like this again when you inevitably run out."

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's funny how the same people lecturing on sacrifice are utterly unwilling to make any kind of sacrifice when it comes to shelter in place. You'd think this old guy would be mocking the boomers that are protesting over not being able to barge into Fuddruckers without a mask on.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

T-man posted:

speaking to a man willingly will be logged for your Gender Eradication Compliance Record, your sissy baby steak government welfare rations will be reduced as punishment.

YOU CAN'T CUT PRODUCTION OF STEAK-UHMMS! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

That Old Tree posted:

Millennials and/or Gen Z, famously known for eating loaded sloppy joes or bowls of cereal while driving. I always hate how erratic my driving gets when I steer with my knees so I can dip my roast beef in the au jus.

The most complicated thing I ever ate while driving was soft tacos from Taco Bell. And they were plain, just meat and cheese.

Hell, I don't even get sauce when I order chicken nuggets because I don't want to try dipping nuggets when I'm going across the interstate

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I once nearly choked to death drinking a soda at a red light, so yeah eating in the car is something I only do when it's turned off.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Heh I saw this one and thought it was real for allllmost a second

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Panfilo posted:

It's funny how the same people lecturing on sacrifice are utterly unwilling to make any kind of sacrifice when it comes to shelter in place. You'd think this old guy would be mocking the boomers that are protesting over not being able to barge into Fuddruckers without a mask on.

They are perfectly willing to sacrifice other people.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I like how they used the meme format where the narrator draws the wrong conclusion.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

In the 1940s it was considered a patriotic duty to stay at home and conserve resources. Plus people back then knew that just chillin in a comfy chair with a pipe and some lemonade owned. This is what I aspire to, not threatening an insurrection because I can eat in at McDonalds.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's just more Boomers pretending to be their parents

The person who wrote that didn't live through WW2, their actual Greatest Generation parents would tell them to shut the gently caress up and stop endangering their fellow Americans because they want their bangs professionally highlighted.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

VitalSigns posted:

It's just more Boomers pretending to be their parents

The person who wrote that didn't live through WW2, their actual Greatest Generation parents would tell them to shut the gently caress up and stop endangering their fellow Americans because they want their bangs professionally highlighted.

You misunderstand me, what I posted was not a FWD, it's an actual poster from WWII, and my commentary is making fun of the people out there protesting the lock down.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PeterCat posted:

You misunderstand me, what I posted was not a FWD, it's an actual poster from WWII, and my commentary is making fun of the people out there protesting the lock down.

I was agreeing with you ;)

that poster is great

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I wonder how many people think those novellas actually happen.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

My favorite one of those is the one with a dude driving with hitlers ghost.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ChaseSP posted:

My favorite one of those is the one with a dude driving with hitlers ghost.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

My favorite part about those STDH novella posts are how the writer is so confident that they aren't one of the people that the Wizened Old Sage is bitching about.
"Ah yes, this mythical old person who knows unerringly how the world should be if it wishes to once again enter a Golden Age. He just so happens to believe everything should be the way that I also believe it should be, that's how I know he's smart."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Hey do you need anything, is there anything I can do for you"
:bahgawd: "Here's why everyone sucks but me, especially you you pop-drinking pussy"
:qq: "Oh my stars this beautiful prophet is the key to a new American golden age"

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

the_steve posted:

My favorite part about those STDH novella posts are how the writer is so confident that they aren't one of the people that the Wizened Old Sage is bitching about.
"Ah yes, this mythical old person who knows unerringly how the world should be if it wishes to once again enter a Golden Age. He just so happens to believe everything should be the way that I also believe it should be, that's how I know he's smart."

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T GO TO DENNY'S

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

When I read this I could practically hear it being said aloud in the 1940s newsreel announcer voice, that is fantastic!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

No wonder Lindbergh wanted every American to own a car! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Hey I'm sorry to pop in this thread, a friend of mine has suddenly and inexplicably gone down the Qanon / Pizzagate rabbit hole and is now talking to me about time travel. Is there a good resource that I can give to her and say "Hey read this." She trusts me and she's worried that she is freaking out over Bill Gates causing COVID 19. I think I can get through to her (hopefully).