Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dads_work_files posted:

I love those 2D space games where you fly from station to station buying space cows at 261 credits and selling them at 349 credits even though they all merge into one in my mind after fifteen minutes of playing them. People keep coming up with superficial innovations like ship customisation and landing on planets and 3d graphics but the core gameplay is so pure that it cannot be altered.

Trade Wars 2002 had a movie theatre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dewgy posted:

It’s called the Home For Infinite Losers, any real DBZ fan would know this. <Laughs in funimation>

That's just the part of hell all the henchmen go to

Also it's canon by Super

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

dads_work_files posted:

I love those 2D space games where you fly from station to station buying space cows at 261 credits and selling them at 349 credits even though they all merge into one in my mind after fifteen minutes of playing them. People keep coming up with superficial innovations like ship customisation and landing on planets and 3d graphics but the core gameplay is so pure that it cannot be altered.

These are all offshoots of dope wars

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dewgy posted:

People say that the Deadliest Warrior game was like Bushido Blade, and those people are dead wrong. If anything, that game was basically a modern Time Killers.

Yes. Also good.

Deadliest Warrior was so good.

swbm
May 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Scorched earth really was the mother of all games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

swbm posted:

Scorched earth really was the mother of all games.

i think you mean GORILLAS.BAS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDc3ZEKl-Wc

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

gorillas.bas owned really hard and it was always baller to kill your opponent with a trick shot that arced through the sun (which changes its facial expression if you hit it like that)

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i wish someone would figure out how to make an mma game with intuitive controls where you didnt have to memorize weird buttons chains

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rutibex posted:

sorry I donno. honestly i bought this switch lite to play Musou games and indy metroidvanias on the go. its very good at that!

is Hollow Knight an RPG?

Not really, it's basically an Igavania without levels/exp. The upgrades are limited to stuff like heart containers, upgrading your sword a few times, finding some items that give you new abilities and that sort of thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

Not really, it's basically an Igavania without levels/exp. The upgrades are limited to stuff like heart containers, upgrading your sword a few times, finding some items that give you new abilities and that sort of thing.

it has NPCs and dialog and a story of sorts. i donno i guess "RPG" is a recessive genre trait. if another more dominate genre is part of the game it becomes that instead of RPG

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rutibex posted:

it has NPCs and dialog and a story of sorts. i donno i guess "RPG" is a recessive genre trait. if another more dominate genre is part of the game it becomes that instead of RPG

I guess for me, when it comes to videogames, RPG means that gaining exp and leveling up (or some equivalent) is a major a focus of the game. Nowadays just about every game has that to some extent. There was a period where a lot of games advertised themselves as having "RPG elements" when they were sticking character progression into a genre that didn't typically have it beyond, say, picking up new weapons. But now "RPG elements" just kind of go without saying so I don't think they're really enough to call a game an RPG.

Or I guess you could go with the literal definition where RPGs are games where you play a role so every game that isn't extremely abstract (e.g. Tetris) is an RPG.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My favorite "RPG elements" are in GTA San Andreas

BRING BACK THE FAT STAT YOU COWARDS!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PinheadSlim posted:

If they're gonna have poo poo like taking your cousin bowling or whatever they could at least have consequences for all that greasy food.

Now I'm hungry.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PinheadSlim posted:

Devs: OK :shrug:
*the more you play, the dimmer your monitor gets*

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

It's like Far Cry 2, just replace "Malaria Pills" with "Insulin Shots"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Games where you can customise a character who still has a name and personality are the most fun, especially when the options all fit their personality. Like No More Heroes, where you can save stupid amounts of money to personally commission a full outfit of pastel pink with pictures of anime girls to wear while you kill people with a lightsaber.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PinheadSlim posted:

if anything San Andreas didnt go far enough. mobility scooters should be necessary if your fat stat gets too high, and an optional mission to rob a fat acceptance fundraiser buffet once you have maxed out

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

This knocked loose a weird memory of the Dozerfleet guy being obsessed with this game.

barkbell posted:

i wish someone would figure out how to make an mma game with intuitive controls where you didnt have to memorize weird buttons chains

Seriously, compare UFC3 to fight night. An uppercut in Fight Night is a stick gesture. To do one in UFC3, it’s R1+Triangle+Square or circle, I forget. I could never remember how to throw a shovel hook in UFC3, but in fight night it was a quarter circle on the lower half of the side you wanted to punch with. It was way, way more intuitive and fun. I get that MMA has more options than boxing does but it just works so much better as a video game.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The glory kills in New Doom would be fine if they were more sparse. Instead you can do them on almost every demon you attack, and you also have to do them to keep your health up.

I have so few complaints about the new Doom games though, they're like the antithesis to all the BS that bogs down so many modern games.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I skipped out on the newest Doom. When the '16 release was being advertised the glory kills looked to be a huge turnoff, but turned out to be a relatively minor part of the game that could be downplayed. So likewise, all of the Eternal stuff sounds awful, "but is probably no big deal" I thought. And then everyone is saying that it IS a big deal and the entire gameplay is routed around QTE invulnerability sequences. Eww.

Shame.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I was considering buying the new Doom, read a lot about it and watched a lot of videos

I never once heard anyone talk about QTEs

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Doom Eternal basically plays out more like an character action FPS than a shooter and it kinda sucks a whole lot for that

It also tries to do a story that literally feels like a fourteen year old's scribbles during math class.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

It also tries to do a story that literally feels like a fourteen year old's scribbles during math class.

It's Doom, yeah.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

cinematic takedowns are a complete dealbreaker for me, don't care how unobtrusive they are or whatever

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bonaventure posted:

I was considering buying the new Doom, read a lot about it and watched a lot of videos

I never once heard anyone talk about QTEs

I'm sorry, "Glory Kills". Where you walk up to a guy and press a button for a instant kill, all the while being invulnerable (and enemies don't seem to queue attacks during this time either?). The phrase 'quick time events' may be depricated, but devs are still in love with them.

edit: and the best part is, when they're flashing orange to indicate the QTE, they take reduced damage from other sources. It's to stop you from 'accidentally' killing them with your gun that you're shooting them with, ho-ho wouldn't THAT be embarrassing?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 10, 2020

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Serephina posted:

I skipped out on the newest Doom. When the '16 release was being advertised the glory kills looked to be a huge turnoff, but turned out to be a relatively minor part of the game that could be downplayed. So likewise, all of the Eternal stuff sounds awful, "but is probably no big deal" I thought. And then everyone is saying that it IS a big deal and the entire gameplay is routed around QTE invulnerability sequences. Eww.

Shame.

I thought Doom 2016 was pretty close to perfect, I didn't mind the glory kills or having to break out the chainsaw strategically. I have played Doom regularly for almost 26 years at this point. I haven't picked up Eternal yet either because it sounds like they're moving further away from what Doom is supposed to be. I don't really want to play a Doom rhythm game.

Doom is about having enough ammo and never holding still and it honestly doesn't need to be any more than that.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's Doom, yeah.

But we're back to doom 3 levels of unnecessary plot and lore instead of doomguy smashing all the screens, which was real progress

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I thought Doom 2016 was pretty close to perfect, I didn't mind the glory kills or having to break out the chainsaw strategically. I have played Doom regularly for almost 26 years at this point. I haven't picked up Eternal yet either because it sounds like they're moving further away from what Doom is supposed to be. I don't really want to play a Doom rhythm game.

Doom is about having enough ammo and never holding still and it honestly doesn't need to be any more than that.

Oh don't get me wrong I agree with you entirely! Doom'16 is absolutely great when viewed as an entire product and everyone should go buy it. It just has its warts, which are very well polished to minimize their discomfort, but they're still there.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
Doom eternal has boring awful platforming sections that made me put the game down. I didnt buy doom for jumping puzzles over lava.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Meatwolfe posted:

Doom eternal has boring awful platforming sections that made me put the game down. I didnt buy doom for jumping puzzles over lava.

should rename it Quake Eternal

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

oh man siralim 3 has a multiplatform cloud save feature, hot drat

i can do mindless grinding ANYWHERE now

siralim 3 is really cool and I dig it but the first half hour or so has some of the cringiest writing ever

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Serephina posted:

I'm sorry, "Glory Kills". Where you walk up to a guy and press a button for a instant kill, all the while being invulnerable (and enemies don't seem to queue attacks during this time either?). The phrase 'quick time events' may be depricated, but devs are still in love with them.

edit: and the best part is, when they're flashing orange to indicate the QTE, they take reduced damage from other sources. It's to stop you from 'accidentally' killing them with your gun that you're shooting them with, ho-ho wouldn't THAT be embarrassing?

oh

those are cool

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

food court bailiff posted:

oh man siralim 3 has a multiplatform cloud save feature, hot drat

i can do mindless grinding ANYWHERE now

siralim 3 is really cool and I dig it but the first half hour or so has some of the cringiest writing ever

hell yeah, Siralim 3 rules! all these losers playing pokemon sword/shield dont know that they are missing. gimmie some more granite

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imagine describing something as cool as a Doom glory kill in such negative terms lol.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

dads_work_files posted:

Escape Velocity

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

veni veni veni posted:

Imagine describing something as cool as a Doom glory kill in such negative terms lol.

if it happens too often then it becomes just another speed bump

the thing about big finishers is that they have to be rare and situational, and then on top of that you need more than just three or four canned ones. which is a problem because why would you invest so much time into developing something really cool that will only happen maybe a dozen times over your entire fifteen, twenty-hour game? it a kind of feature with a high investment factor, but the more unfrequently the player sees it, the less mileage you get out of the resources you needed to dedicate in order to make it.

so, you make three or four canned execution animations and then retool the entire game's math to steer the player toward activating it as often as possible

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The White Dragon posted:

if it happens too often then it becomes just another speed bump

the thing about big finishers is that they have to be rare and situational, and then on top of that you need more than just three or four canned ones. which is a problem because why would you invest so much time into developing something really cool that will only happen maybe a dozen times over your entire fifteen, twenty-hour game? it a kind of feature with a high investment factor, but the more unfrequently the player sees it, the less mileage you get out of the resources you needed to dedicate in order to make it.

so, you make three or four canned execution animations and then retool the entire game's math to steer the player toward activating it as often as possible

Theres a ton more than 3 or 4 that trigger based on context. The game literally hands you challenges to trigger specific ones on the regular.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i mean that's kind of the problem, they're these big cinematic things but when they happen all the time, they lose their lustre. highly variable finishers are great for bosses, and they're great for chaff the first few dozen times.

but after that it's like yeah ok whatever game

limit breaks in final fantasy 6. if they happened all the time, it'd be like who gives a poo poo? but unless you're specifically trying to game it to force them out, you'll only see one in the wild so rarely that most players won't even see one at all, ever. so when it does happen, and for real, it will straight up save your rear end and you're like, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 11, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Limit breaks? Maybe you mean ff7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Serephina posted:

Limit breaks? Maybe you mean ff7?

lmao

this is my point exactly, this guy doesn't even KNOW ff6 has fuckin limit breaks. now THAT is novelty my friends