Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Honestly even if some of these places were right that there aren't enough cases in their area for them to be worried right now, I think that ironically they're going to change that by being so vocal, because they're going to persuade people in the areas that have more cases right now to stop staying at home which will increase travel within the country and ensure the places that haven't gotten it yet will be infected in short order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

MysteriousStranger posted:

They're loving this. They think this is going to be like all those ye old days plagues where it wipes out coastal trading ports, and they get to get on their high horse how they were right about urbanites, immigrants, and their culture. This is everything they ever wanted.

Problem is there are cars and air travel and trains to chudland now, also goods ship to and from. So it's not going to happen like that. Takes one truck driver at one truck stop.

yeah i think every country in the US has a confirmed case now, even the depopulated ones in Eastern Montana.

This poo poo is everywhere

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

facetoucher cat posted:

So I live in a city and people are not wearing masks here either and the parking lot is empty right now at my apartment complex so these MFers are out galavanting

Sure are. One of my neighbors has friends over all the loving time, and all the Indian kids play together in the stairwell, so I'm double hosed

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
There's actually a big outbreak in northeast Georgia in Hall county that's a really rural area of Latino families mostly poultry workers

https://www.gainesvilletimes.com/news/health-care/map-shows-latest-us-coronavirus-case-totals-state/

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Willa Rogers posted:

and what's your state's nursing-home stats? what is your state doing to address institutionalized spread of covid?

if you want some data that isn't US related but might give an idea of how bad things are getting, look at Canada, where we seem to be counting nursing home deaths (at least in Ontario & Quebec) and there's been a lot of reports about the "two epidemics" at work: one in the general population and one in long-term care homes.

It's godawful and we're now at the point where the Canadian army is dispatching health care professionals to help look after homes where the staff is incapable of looking after everyone who is sick.

this is old but it's a good place to start: https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/04/14/we-dont-have-a-covid-19-epidemic-deaths-in-long-term-care-show-we-have-two.html

There's only a little talk about reforming the system after the fact but people are dancing around the fact that Ontario residences got privatized 20 years ago, and our healthcare systems inability to care for everyone is the fault of austerity policies enacted by successive Liberal and Conservative governments on since before I was born.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2020/05/07/82-of-canadas-covid-19-deaths-have-been-in-long-term-care.html

"82% of Canada's COVID-19 deaths have been in long-term care, new data reveals"

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Sure are. One of my neighbors has friends over all the loving time, and all the Indian kids play together in the stairwell, so I'm double hosed

my neighbors are all essential workers, retirees, or students. I don’t see any guests over, but I overheard my next door neighbor say they were sick, so I’ve been avoiding them.

this morning I went to pick up a prescription and every church along the way had at least 10 cars or groups of people outside. we are turbo hosed

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
The joke's on them though because the GOP of rural areas, TN in particular, owned the libs by refusing Medicare expansion money from the Obama administration and vast majority of their rural hospitals closed in the past 10 years.

The death toll will rise in like a month when they start finding bodies out in remote homes all over the state.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I have family that is now planning on flying from california to colorado in a week to see their granddaughter lol. Gonna be two over 65's hanging out in colorado with a 3 year old when the news announces that kids get it bad too sometimes.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

The Indian families here are the only ones who I see wearing masks if I see anyone wearing a mask now days. There's an Indian plaza a bit down the way that will give anyone food/hand sanitizer/masks. I've seen little old Indian ladies scream at people who quickly put on a mask so in this area I think they're taking it seriously

Serf
May 5, 2011

all i can say is that people are even more active here now than before the "quarantine"

our hospital was ailing before this and is now full. its only going to get worse in two weeks

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

my grandma celebrated her 100th birthday yesterday, and her friends and relatives stood 20 - 30 feet away from her in a big semi-circle with social distancing while singing happy birthday. the video had a very science fiction vibe to it.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Serf posted:

all i can say is that people are even more active here now than before the "quarantine"

our hospital was ailing before this and is now full. its only going to get worse in two weeks

:(

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

facetoucher cat posted:

The Indian families here are the only ones who I see wearing masks if I see anyone wearing a mask now days. There's an Indian plaza a bit down the way that will give anyone food/hand sanitizer/masks. I've seen little old Indian ladies scream at people who quickly put on a mask so in this area I think they're taking it seriously

Indian families getting their corona news from Indian WhatsApp communities, chinese people on wechat, nobody trusts the western media

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Rauros posted:

my grandma celebrated her 100th birthday yesterday, and her friends and relatives stood 20 - 30 feet away from her in a big semi-circle with social distancing while singing happy birthday. the video had a very science fiction vibe to it.

Happy birthday to your grandma! I hope she is a nice person and got to eat cake and enjoyed herself

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

Indian families getting their corona news from Indian WhatsApp communities, chinese people on wechat, nobody trusts the western media

I don't trust the western media so

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Hey facetoucher cat the last time I checked in on this thread you were posting about how you were really sick, are you doing better now?

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

I only have this thread and twitter (occasionally) for reliable info. guess I’ve been needing to learn mandarin anyways...

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

I read the internet in 3 languages, anglophone internet is easily the most hateful. Germans have their chuds but I think there is far greater social approbation for being one, in the US it is almost encouraged

Ahhh, that's nice to know.

gently caress the English language.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
getting ready for a 9 hour workday at the grocery store :dance: time to catch me some COVIDS!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

:negative:

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Schnorkles posted:

yeah i think every country in the US has a confirmed case now, even the depopulated ones in Eastern Montana.

This poo poo is everywhere

it takes one person to pick up meat in montana to ship it to the east or one farmer to drop it off where it can be shipped and it's game over. they don't get that. they think this is ye old biblical plague where if you were out of a few days range of a donkey you're fine but the city rots will corpses in the street spreading more plague

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

oh hay - the IHME projection is updated

(i'm the quick drop to 0 on august)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Such a loving pro read, my god. :kimchi:

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

gently caress the English language.
Agreed, but American is a pretty good language. :shobon:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
rural communities absolutely believe this is a city disease.

it'll spread to them slowly because they're already practicing social isolation just by virtue of not being around nearly as many other people, but it's going to take one kid coming home from college, or one trip to the farm & fleet or whatever, and it will just loving rip through them because they're still doing all of the old activities which generally involves groups of people spending extended periods of time together in indoor environments (quilting, drinking, churching, etc)

here's an "or whatever" that's going to wipe out retired farmers, especially in the states doing the county-by-county partial easement: everyone from the cities are fleeing on these nice weekends to all the open counties. even if its just to go hike some trails in the middle of nowhere, everyone is going to hike the trails in the middle of nowhere, and a bunch are stopping at restaurants and gas stations on the way there and back.

because they were never doing anything in the first place, the counties that are now "open" aren't really going to change much. but what it did do was set everyone's weekend agenda in the still locked down areas and wow, poo poo is going to get wrecked.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/skarlamangla/status/1259539540093464577

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

The Grimace posted:

getting ready for a 9 hour workday at the grocery store :dance: time to catch me some COVIDS!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

:negative:

sorry :(

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Lets stimulate the economy the Trump way

https://mobile.twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1259514344796291072

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

BoJo is live now telling the UK that everyone who can't work from home should go back to work, and that people should go out to enjoy parks more.

The governments of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have already told him to gently caress off and that nobody should be following his advice.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Charun posted:

reminder that this is one of the main models the white house uses (the other being a cubic fit lol)
Also, would you mind if I put this gif on the projections page of realgoodcovidtracker.com?

Feel free. I'm updating it later today to hang longer on the last frame and dot the projection parts of it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

covid is absolutely exploding in Russia wow

Russia has skyrocketed up the charts and is now sitting in 5th place for most corona cases, they crossed 200k total cases today, but are reporting only 1915 total deaths lol

every other country with 150k+ cases has at least 10k deaths (except germany)

their daily growth in cases is outpacing America, and at this rate they'll be safely in 3rd place by next Monday

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fosborb posted:

rural communities absolutely believe this is a city disease.

it'll spread to them slowly because they're already practicing social isolation just by virtue of not being around nearly as many other people, but it's going to take one kid coming home from college, or one trip to the farm & fleet or whatever, and it will just loving rip through them because they're still doing all of the old activities which generally involves groups of people spending extended periods of time together in indoor environments (quilting, drinking, churching, etc)

here's an "or whatever" that's going to wipe out retired farmers, especially in the states doing the county-by-county partial easement: everyone from the cities are fleeing on these nice weekends to all the open counties. even if its just to go hike some trails in the middle of nowhere, everyone is going to hike the trails in the middle of nowhere, and a bunch are stopping at restaurants and gas stations on the way there and back.

because they were never doing anything in the first place, the counties that are now "open" aren't really going to change much. but what it did do was set everyone's weekend agenda in the still locked down areas and wow, poo poo is going to get wrecked.

I live in Cincinnati, and the people I work with who live in Kentucky are absolutely treating it like they're not right the gently caress next to a city.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Charun posted:

oh hay - the IHME projection is updated

(i'm the quick drop to 0 on august)

What sort of magic will drive a downward trending, if anything the "Trump" open up everything will just lead a ramp up in the infection rate.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

hmmm, cool. cool...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Its not even just rural communities. Its suburbs too. I went out to get some poo poo from Publix, I live like 30 min away from Orlando, and it was busy as hell everywhere. Not just the publix, which has been constantly busy ,but every parking lot around was full.

There was a line around the block to get into walmart

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

rip social security, 90% off, everything must go!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

SKULL.GIF posted:

covid is absolutely exploding in Russia wow

Russia has skyrocketed up the charts and is now sitting in 5th place for most corona cases, they crossed 200k total cases today, but are reporting only 1915 total deaths lol

every other country with 150k+ cases has at least 10k deaths (except germany)

their daily growth in cases is outpacing America, and at this rate they'll be safely in 3rd place by next Monday

Siberia is also way more on fire than usual. Like million acre+ megafires already this year.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
hmm wonder how long until they drop a giant plate onto us FFVII-style?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
my costco was entirely out of non-breaded chicken today. there wasn't even a spot for it in the coolers or freezers.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What's going to happen to pet food

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
also the sweet potato bags are smaller. they were 10 lb bags last time i went, now they are measly 6.5 lb bags. i thought this was america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

shovelbum posted:

What's going to happen to pet food

pet food

food pets