Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Tried playing Boneworks again last night after having recently gotten used to the arm swinger movement options in H3VR. Bad idea.

The IK body in Boneworks is just incredibly frustrating. Leaning over to open drawers or break boxes by bending at the waist IRL would inevitably result in my IK legs getting trapped inside the drawers and causing the physics engine to start freaking out trying to resolve the collisions. Climbing is similarly annoying, I consistently get stuck on objects because my motions don't match up 1 to 1. And I got pretty severe nausea from the way that pushing against the environment causes your body and view to move in ways that doesn't even make sense! Smashing a counter with a brick would not cause my entire body to lift up! Same thing with opening doors using their handles...

Don't think I'll ever make any real progress with it, feels like a waste of $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Have you gotten to the guns? Because the guns make up for the terrible IK stuff

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Brownie posted:

And I got pretty severe nausea from the way that pushing against the environment causes your body and view to move in ways that doesn't even make sense! Smashing a counter with a brick would not cause my entire body to lift up! Same thing with opening doors using their handles...

and this is why i dropped boneworks. gently caress that.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Have you gotten to the guns? Because the guns make up for the terrible IK stuff

I have not, really haven’t made any progress in the game at all because of the nausea.

In general gunplay in VR is incredible, and I was excited to experience it in boneworks but every part of the movement drains me. I cannot imagine having to deal with my IK body in an extended firefight

Brownie fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 10, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Boneworks legs IK is poo poo. Like, the default most simple thing you can do, walk in a straight line? Try to do it looking totally down, at your feet. You will 'see the light' of why is poo poo.

I read something about players having to go in turns for attack and defend, which sounded weird as hell. Can you explain how it works?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

By the way, have anyone tried the 'test usb' thingie when you connect your Quest with Link? What are your results?
edit: with the CableCreation extension cable, it says 2.0gbps.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 10, 2020

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I’ve never understood why people wanted to see their arms and legs in VR. It’s never accurate (short of elbow trackers I guess)

Also I’m finding the Quest head strap design limiting in Echo. Can’t really whip my head around because of how front heavy it is. Probably no real solution unless a good halo strap mod is released.

Game is still great though. Still can’t believe the port is so robust.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 10, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

AndrewP posted:

Also I’m finding the Quest head strap design limiting in Echo. Can’t really whip my head around because of how front heavy it is. Probably no real solution unless a good halo strap mod is released.

I have the deluxe audio strap and even with it ratcheted down like a vise it slides around my face if I whip my head around rapidly.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

AndrewP posted:

I’ve never understood why people wanted to see their arms and legs in VR. It’s never accurate (short of elbow trackers I guess)

From my experience the arm simulation in Stormland is accurate like 90% of the time and it allows for that fairly cool thing where you have to rip your own arm off. Also it's more immersive that floating hands.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

AndrewP posted:

Because when its done well, its great. It gives you presence. It feels nice to have em.

And personally, I don't mind the wonky IK of things like boneworks. Being forced to not clip through poo poo with your body is neat.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

Turin Turambar posted:

I read something about players having to go in turns for attack and defend, which sounded weird as hell. Can you explain how it works?

Yeah, absolutely. Here's the tutorial for the knight.

So, turn-based is only half right, really. The way it works is that you initiate an attack with a button hold and a gesture. While you're attacking, you and the opponent enter slow-motion, and your blue energy meter drains. You have until you are out of energy to try to inflict damage to the opponent while they try to guard/dodge. You can also decide to pull back by doing another gesture, to save energy.

You can charge up energy faster with a button combination, but it makes you more vulnerable to damage, indicated by your health bar partially changing color. At first I thought getting hit after would mean losing all of that health but you just take more damage from hits in general while that part of your health is "used up", so to speak. You can only charge up with what health you have.

Upon connecting with the enemy/enemy's weapon, your weapon "breaks" and has to be "reloaded" by moving it behind you, basically acting like you're rearing back for another swing. If you check out the sides of the screen there it does flash subtly to tell you that your weapon has moved enough to become ready again. The Knight's claymore has two segments to offset how slow and heavy it is, so it's not just easily parried by, say, the Duelist's rapier.

Also, The monk is basically darth maul and I love it

Goodguy3 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 11, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I like arms-only. They're usually not super accurately represented but they give a better sense of your body's position than floating hands do. Legs are going to be hard until they're tracked and even then some fudging and IK would be needed for artificial locomotion.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I broke down and finally bought an overpriced quest. I have the psvr, but haven't touched it in forever because I hate setting it up. Otherwise than half life and beat saber, what's the new must haves?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners and Boneworks. If you dig the hand and body physics in those try Blade & Sorcery too, though be advised there isn't much "game" there and it's mostly just a power fantasy sandbox.

e: I should probably do that Quest-specific write up for the OP I've been meaning to do for the last month or whatever.

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"

Inacio posted:

and this is why i dropped boneworks. gently caress that.

Hey I recognize you :frogc00l:
As for anyone just getting a Quest, make sure to look at SideQuest. Lots of free/cheap indie games and ports on there, like Half Life 1, DOOM, Tea for God etc.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

SCheeseman posted:

e: I should probably do that Quest-specific write up for the OP I've been meaning to do for the last month or whatever.

I'd appreciate it. There's a lot of info, but alot of old info.

Is gorn worth it or is it still tech demo-y?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SCheeseman posted:

I like arms-only. They're usually not super accurately represented but they give a better sense of your body's position than floating hands do. Legs are going to be hard until they're tracked and even then some fudging and IK would be needed for artificial locomotion.

After about 5 min in VRchat with FBT, Honestly, I kinda wish all full IK games had "support" it would fix so much poo poo instantly for those of us with the crap to do it.

FBT is really fun. Holy poo poo. Why did I wait 6+ mo to set this poo poo up? XD

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

tensai posted:

I'd appreciate it. There's a lot of info, but alot of old info.

Is gorn worth it or is it still tech demo-y?

It's still fun. The way they handle momentum is still really novel and feels great.

e: I quickly bashed out a Quest section in the OP

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 11, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know of a way to stick extra foam onto the dense foam of VR headsets, without getting glue stuck on the original foam or ripping it up with velcro or something? I'm carving some foam to better fit my face but not sure how to stick it on there and still bring it back to factory.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zero VGS posted:

Does anyone know of a way to stick extra foam onto the dense foam of VR headsets, without getting glue stuck on the original foam or ripping it up with velcro or something? I'm carving some foam to better fit my face but not sure how to stick it on there and still bring it back to factory.

Why not just get a VRCover replacement? :confused:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why not just get a VRCover replacement? :confused:

I only need a bit of foam at my cheekbones to tilt the Pimax upwards a little and then it's perfect. I already have free foam and it mostly stays in place by friction, just looking for something to make it slightly more permanent. Don't see the need to buy a whole thing.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Zero VGS posted:

I only need a bit of foam at my cheekbones to tilt the Pimax upwards a little and then it's perfect. I already have free foam and it mostly stays in place by friction, just looking for something to make it slightly more permanent. Don't see the need to buy a whole thing.

Maybe you can take some thin plastic like cling wrap or cut grocery bags and wrap the sections of the oem facial interface you want to tape your extra foam onto? That way glue goo only gets onto the plastic wrap. It's gonna look janky as hell, though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SCheeseman posted:

Yeah, arms are fine, but the legs in B&S piss me off because I'll bend at the hip to stab somebody, but the game thinks I've taken a step forward and squatted, so my fake legs are in the way.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

tensai posted:

I broke down and finally bought an overpriced quest. I have the psvr, but haven't touched it in forever because I hate setting it up. Otherwise than half life and beat saber, what's the new must haves?

Echo VR.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

yergacheffe posted:

Maybe you can take some thin plastic like cling wrap or cut grocery bags and wrap the sections of the oem facial interface you want to tape your extra foam onto? That way glue goo only gets onto the plastic wrap. It's gonna look janky as hell, though.

That's a pretty good idea, I'll try that.

Also I just finished Half Life Alyx, what a spectacular game. I was considering trying Boneworks next, but does it respect motion sickness to the same extent? Like, I did Alyx with teleport only the whole way, not sure if that's an option for most of Boneworks?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Boneworks is one of the least comfortable VR games out there. It even warns you about it on the store page.
Don't try it until you're at the very least perfectly comfortable with smooth locomotion.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Boneworks is one of the least comfortable VR games out there. It even warns you about it on the store page.
Don't try it until you're at the very least perfectly comfortable with smooth locomotion.

Oh jeez, didn't realize there's no teleport and the devs say they'll never add it. Yeah that's no good for me then, I can't do smooth at all.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

tensai posted:

Let me search, I did a post two months ago... here it is:

quote:

Good

Beat Saber
Fisherman Tale
Gadgeteer
Moss
Eleven Table Tennis
Shadow Point
SuperHot
Virtual Virtual Reality
The Dark Room

Decent

Angry Birds
Box VR (not really a game, more an exercise app)
Dance Central
Dreadhalls
I Expect You To Die
Pistol Whip
Racket Fury
Red Matter
Robo Recall
Synth Riders
The Under Presents
Ultrawings (I haven't played a lot, only game that got me queasy)
Vacation Simulator
The Climb

Mediocre

Apex Construct
Arizona Sunshine
Journey of the Gods
Ballista
The Curious Case of Stolen Pets
Space Pirate Trainer
Accounting+
Audica (It's a solid product that didn't click with me at all)
Ghost Giant
Job Simulator
Racket NX
Vader Immortal

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Will vouch for Gadgeteer, it's a great puzzle game and feels great to play if you have a nice little space to walk around in.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Turin Turambar posted:

Let me search, I did a post two months ago... here it is:

quote:

Mediocre

Job Simulator

Job Sim is fun for about half an hour per job type, I guess. It's silly and fun.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Merijn posted:

Job Sim is fun for about half an hour per job type, I guess. It's silly and fun.

Vacation Sim is an improved version of it, imo, it's why I put it on the 'bottom tier', people searching that type of game can go directly to the newer game.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 11, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Merijn posted:

Retail and Office are the only two Jobs with any variety to their activities. Cook and Car Mechanic will show you everything they have to offer in about five minutes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The only reason I kept Job Sim installed back when I still had a Vive was because it's a great first time playing VR game for people. There's no forced movement and the interactions are pretty intuitive so you get used to using your hands instead of just pressing buttons on a controller, but there is no replayability.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://gizmodo.com/heres-a-first-look-at-sonys-next-gen-finger-tracking-vr-1843364429

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You're about a week late on that one :v:.

Here's something new though; Researchers are trying to use head-mounted haptics to combat motion sickness in VR.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I missed this news
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/05/upload-vr-showcase-2020-summer-edition-set-for-june-8

quote:

Upload VR Showcase 2020: Summer Edition will showcase more than 20 titles, including from Fast Travel Games, Cloudhead Games, and “new studios that have been secretly mining away on new games,” as well as “highlights on some indie darlings.”

And Until you Fall is on sale
https://store.steampowered.com/app/858260/Until_You_Fall/
Less than 12€.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, another interesting VR sale. A new pack
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/14236/The_Wonder_of_VR_Collection/

Moss, The Curious Tale of the Stolen Pets, A Fisherman's Tale and Down the Rabbit Hole for 39€

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Picked up 2MD: VR Football on the Quest and I'm digging it. I like that they went simple on the models, keeps it easy to follow but still maintains the feel of football. But most importantly, the throw mechanics feel good and are nicely adjustable.

Could use some more features and modes but the core of the experience is solid.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're about a week late on that one :v:.

Here's something new though; Researchers are trying to use head-mounted haptics to combat motion sickness in VR.

This is a great idea, I would love it in Boneworks. I still get semi sick every once in a while when I've taken a long break from it.

Okay so where the hell is our kayaking murder simulation game? God dammit I want to be sam fisher!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I went

Lemming posted:

The #1 tip I have that will immediately make you better than almost everyone is to turn around and look for boosts rather than floating directly towards the disk. Since you can throw off any surface 4 m/s, if you throw off someone moving you end up moving at their speed plus 4 m/s. This means that even if you spend a few seconds going backwards, if you grab someone who's moving in the direction you wanna go and you throw off of them, you'll be moving about twice as fast.

There's tons more going on but at the most basic level going fast is more important than almost everything else

So I've been in a handful of 4v4 games

Seems like you can boost off of three people, I never looked at my speedometer but I'm guessing that would net 12m/s ? So in a 4v4 game there are what potentially 7 people you could boost off of for 28m/s speed?

If that's true then yeah makes sense to go backwards to jump straight to 8m/s, you should easily be able to catch up with someone else at that speed to get to 12m/s

Will give that a shot