Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

This is exactly right, just learn to manage, tripping out constantly will just make you miserable.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The Ape of Naples posted:

Lol. "I make money off of this so it's cool and good"

No. This is always the bullshit answer. It's always "your" fault. I've seen over a dozen of therapists over the years. Some for months. Some through hospitals some I've researched on my own. I've 'shopped' around out of pocket to see if I found one I liked. None have done anything and I truly mean anything. None have ever said anything of note or helpful. None have had any positive impact. None, to a person, have been insightful. None have even tried.

I've had great success with plumbers, doctors, had some bad mechanics. Dentists have been pretty good. Not a single therapist have provided anything.

Blaming the person seeking help is basically predatory. I've come to all of them out of desperation, at my lowest. And then at a new nadir. And all have just exploited me. They were all happy to take my money week after week. Sometimes a couple of times a week. They were all happy to do so. None ever said, "hey maybe this isn't working out". You should seek out someone else. They took money I barely had. Complained that I was on their sliding scale. They were quick to bring up billing when I decided to call it quits. Once, when I was hospitalized, I had a therapist ask the psych I was seeing about the money I owed her from the session I missed in the hospital. They're ghouls. I've had deeper conversations with people in the queue at the supermarket and received more empathy.

No, gently caress therapists. I've dealt with enough of them to judge their lot accurately.

lol

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% positive there are lovely therapists. The problem with your therapy vs. plumbers comparison is that humans are more complex than pipe fittings and you sound like a lovely Karen :shrug:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

you sound like a lovely Karen :shrug:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Nah therapists are all fuckin garbage and once I'm finished my post-grad I'll be the worst of them all

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The US healthcare system is certainly more of the problem than the field of psychiatry as a whole. I have no opinion of things outside the US though :shrug:.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Nah therapists are all fuckin garbage and once I'm finished my post-grad I'll be the worst of them all

One of the ones I fired, he would always be late to start sessions. So one day I got fed up and spent the entire time going off on him and needling him about why his issues were causing him to be habitually late. It was cathartic.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

lol

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% positive there are lovely therapists. The problem with your therapy vs. plumbers comparison is that humans are more complex than pipe fittings and you sound like a lovely Karen :shrug:

Oh no! I get that. I do. And it's why I've seemked out therapist after therapist. And none of them have done anything. The plumber analogy was simply to illustrate that if you charge for something then I expect some result. And I know if I don't see them I should look else where and I did. But gently caress it after a point it's not just on me. And I've had professionals in other fields go "Hey, I don't know about this" and I can accept that and I move on. But no therapist ever said "is this working for you". Ive been ripped off more by therapists than anyone else.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dixville posted:

The what now

Who. Who What Now.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

LifeSunDeath posted:

One of the ones I fired, he would always be late to start sessions. So one day I got fed up and spent the entire time going off on him and needling him about why his issues were causing him to be habitually late. It was cathartic.

The chances of someone being able to hold a professional accountable directly to their face are quite slim so I imagine that was pretty satisfying for sure. Mine is habitually five minutes late, however I know that it's because I'm staggered in the middle of their clients and they don't want to interrupt someone who's processing, so I cut them some slack.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

LifeSunDeath posted:

You sound like a dick.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The chances of someone being able to hold a professional accountable directly to their face are quite slim so I imagine that was pretty satisfying for sure. Mine is habitually five minutes late, however I know that it's because I'm staggered in the middle of their clients and they don't want to interrupt someone who's processing, so I cut them some slack.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is because they're more likely to be poor, right?

Poverty also correlates with bad health and weight problems which seldom allows walking fast. Plenty of well to do people also zoom past others.

But you would have to read the study to tell what it is based on. Quick search leads to this article which refers to a Japanese article which, by Google Translate, doesn't reveal a source of any kind. It's all some horoscope level pseudoscience bullshit.

quote:

A recent study suggests that people who walk fast tend to be less happy than those who do at a slower pace.

These people are reported to be more intense and tend to be unhappy with their lives.

The psychology behind this that people who walk fast are perfectionists.

The perception here is that these people want other individuals to have the same pace as them instead of walking slowly.

These fast walkers are usually introverts and have the ability to distinguish personal and work problems from each other.

That being said, these people also find it harder to maintain and develop relationships.

Taking a break is rare for these people, as they only have one thing in mind and that is their life goal.

Doing work quickly and efficiently is how they work at the same time they find it hard to control their emotions.

Unhappiness comes in when things do not go as they wish they would.

The positive side to this is that fast walkers are actually courageous and confident, plus they possess the energy that is hard to match up to.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Lol. "I make money off of this so it's cool and good"

No. This is always the bullshit answer. It's always "your" fault. I've seen over a dozen of therapists over the years. Some for months. Some through hospitals some I've researched on my own. I've 'shopped' around out of pocket to see if I found one I liked. None have done anything and I truly mean anything. None have ever said anything of note or helpful. None have had any positive impact. None, to a person, have been insightful. None have even tried.

I've had great success with plumbers, doctors, had some bad mechanics. Dentists have been pretty good. Not a single therapist have provided anything.

Blaming the person seeking help is basically predatory. I've come to all of them out of desperation, at my lowest. And then at a new nadir. And all have just exploited me. They were all happy to take my money week after week. Sometimes a couple of times a week. They were all happy to do so. None ever said, "hey maybe this isn't working out". You should seek out someone else. They took money I barely had. Complained that I was on their sliding scale. They were quick to bring up billing when I decided to call it quits. Once, when I was hospitalized, I had a therapist ask the psych I was seeing about the money I owed her from the session I missed in the hospital. They're ghouls. I've had deeper conversations with people in the queue at the supermarket and received more empathy.

No, gently caress therapists. I've dealt with enough of them to judge their lot accurately.

Maybe you're just a colossal gently caress up.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cocaine Bear posted:

You sound like a dick.

I disagree

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

You sound like a dick.

It's true, but I'm also quick to apologize, so sorry if my existence bothers you. (also he was late 30 min on the day in question, and had been similarly late the 10x prior, enough was enough).

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ferrule posted:

Maybe you're just a colossal gently caress up.

I am. It's why I've seemed out therapy, Einstein.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Poverty also correlates with bad health and weight problems which seldom allows walking fast. Plenty of well to do people also zoom past others.

But you would have to read the study to tell what it is based on. Quick search leads to this article which refers to a Japanese article which, by Google Translate, doesn't reveal a source of any kind. It's all some horoscope level pseudoscience bullshit.

And it looks like the first part of the assertion (about walking to work making you less happy) is just plain false

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1369847814001107

quote:

We find that pedestrians, train commuters and cyclists are significantly more satisfied than drivers, metro and bus users.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-29175088

quote:

Those who had an active commute were found to have a higher level of well-being than those who went by car or public transport.

When researchers analysed the wellbeing of a small group who swapped the car or bus for a bike or going on foot, they found they became happier after the switch.
https://theconversation.com/walking-and-cycling-to-work-makes-commuters-happier-and-more-productive-117819

quote:

Our study, involving 1,121 full-time workers who commute daily to work, made several important findings:
-those who commute longer distances tend to have more days off work
-among middle-aged workers, those who walk or cycle performed better in the workplace
-those who commute short distances, walk or cycle to work, are more likely to be happy commuters, which makes them more productive.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

With a name like "DJ Fuckboy Supreme" I shudder to contemplate your therapy clientele.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Time for his 4pm dick bite-ening

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Elviscat posted:

With a name like "DJ Fuckboy Supreme" I shudder to contemplate your therapy clientele.

No lie but if I were going down a list of therapists and saw "DJ Fuckboy Supreme" I'd call immediately. Yes, I get it, I've walked into your trap. Still, as a client I'd think "this guys gets it".

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
PYF blanket statement about a group of people.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Thank you all, the Funny Pictures thread needed a derail about therapy and therapists.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Maestro posted:

Thank you all, the Funny Pictures thread needed a derail about therapy and therapists.

You're welcome.

Also, thanks for the funny pic.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Life has shown me that some people are just the unluckiest people in the world. Just life shits on them over and over that their world view is skewed to see everything as poo poo.

Here hopefully this makes you feel better

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EasilyConfused posted:

I don't care what anyone else says, every single Irish person knows the secret entrance to the Fae Kingdom and they keep it to themselves to the detriment of humanity. :colbert:

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

With therapy it seems like its dependent on personality, like I've been to many people over the years and it's been nice I suppose to talk to someone but I've rarely felt like they were the linchpin that helped me get out of an anxiety/depressive funk and am reluctant to go to one in recent years. Other people I know have found people they love to talk to and seem to get a lot of help out of them, but I get the impression that's just because they like someone they can openly talk to about stuff. I'm also becoming increasingly cynical about medication which I also feel like has never been a dramatic help. Mental health treatment is simply not developed as far as it tries to present itself as in terms of actually understanding how people's brains work.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Therapy isn't right for everyone, and even when it is right there can be a huge difference between different therapists and types of therapy. But for some people therapy can be a literal lifesaver, so maybe don't go shouting from the rooftops that all therapy is a scan or whatever.

Hope y'all find whatever helps for you, and sorry you've had bad experiences so far.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't care what anyone else says, every single Irish person knows the secret entrance to the Fae Kingdom and they keep it to themselves to the detriment of humanity. :colbert:

Yep this is true and you'll never get me lucky charms either.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Woebin posted:

Therapy isn't right for everyone, and even when it is right there can be a huge difference between different therapists and types of therapy. But for some people therapy can be a literal lifesaver, so maybe don't go shouting from the rooftops that all therapy is a scan or whatever.

Hope y'all find whatever helps for you, and sorry you've had bad experiences so far.

Agreed. But also don't present therapy as always being right. I generally think they're dubious. But for most people who need a tune up they're fine. But the overall presentation seems and they have others accept is that they're good and if it fails it's on you. And if not you should have picked a better therapist. And to put that on a person who is in desperate need is viciously callous. Some people have different needs. Some people don't need much. Maybe they didn't even need a therapist. But there are people who are genuinely desperate. And the general opinion is 'gently caress you, nut'. And therapist never seem to want to help you through that. If a doctor couldn't help me I'd hope they'd at least figure out why. I was never looking for a fix. I get mental health. But they literally never said anything of note.

I'd post a funny pic but can never seem get it to work.
Here's a dick pic:
8-D~~
Sorry for the premature ejaculation.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

No one care.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Agreed. But also don't present therapy as always being right. I generally think they're dubious. But for most people who need a tune up they're fine. But the overall presentation seems and they have others accept is that they're good and if it fails it's on you. And if not you should have picked a better therapist. And to put that on a person who is in desperate need is viciously callous. Some people have different needs. Some people don't need much. Maybe they didn't even need a therapist. But there are people who are genuinely desperate. And the general opinion is 'gently caress you, nut'. And therapist never seem to want to help you through that. If a doctor couldn't help me I'd hope they'd at least figure out why. I was never looking for a fix. I get mental health. But they literally never said anything of note.

I'd post a funny pic but can never seem get it to work.
Here's a dick pic:
8-D~~
Sorry for the premature ejaculation.

I totally understand what you're saying. You say it very aggressively, but I get it.
Oftentimes therapists say stuff you already know.
It's like dude, shut up and listen for a second, or tell me something I DON'T know!
But they are simply doing a job, just as anyone else is, and they're ultimately in it for the paycheque.
That doesn't mean they are worthless!
However, like many things in life, things are not binary. Just because other people have had success with therapy, you may not.
There are other ways to cope, some good like meditation, some bad like drugs.
And of course there is the option of no choice!
It's all up to you in the end.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you knew anything about the fae kingdom you would realise that they're doing you a service

also Ape of Naples I hope you realise that this counts as therapy and you can expect an invoice from the PYF Funny Pictures Thread in your mail in 4-6 weeks.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I totally understand what you're saying. You say it very aggressively, but I get it.
Oftentimes therapists say stuff you already know.
It's like dude, shut up and listen for a second, or tell me something I DON'T know!
But they are simply doing a job, just as anyone else is, and they're ultimately in it for the paycheque.
That doesn't mean they are worthless!
However, like many things in life, things are not binary. Just because other people have had success with therapy, you may not.
There are other ways to cope, some good like meditation, some bad like drugs.
And of course there is the option of no choice!
It's all up to you in the end.

I am a bit aggressive. I've spent hours and literally tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket trying to seek help and received nothing in return. Not 'nothing of worth' I'm not imply they tried and I felt failed I'm saying no one has even tried. I'm sorry I'm angry. I know it's rude. I'll die soon because I have no other choice. I'm just angry that people say "go to therapy!" "find a better therapist!" and then "well you didn't try!"

I've wasted so much on people who did gently caress all. And I get I'm the bad guy. But I've been let down by the people who have routinely taken my money to help. I dunno. gently caress it. I'm just angry. I tried. I wasted thousands of dollars and seen a dozen or more therapists and psychs and people just will be like "what an rear end in a top hat" I honestly tried. I did what I could I asked for help. And every professional failed me. But it's my fault. I wasn't in the best space to bootstrap. So I'm angry. Sorry.

Remember pancake cat?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

>PYF Funny Pictures: After Dark :smith:

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LifeSunDeath posted:

>PYF Funny Pictures: After Dark :smith:

Sorry. I’ll stop

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

EasilyConfused posted:

ACAB

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I am a bit aggressive. I've spent hours and literally tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket trying to seek help and received nothing in return. Not 'nothing of worth' I'm not imply they tried and I felt failed I'm saying no one has even tried. I'm sorry I'm angry. I know it's rude. I'll die soon because I have no other choice. I'm just angry that people say "go to therapy!" "find a better therapist!" and then "well you didn't try!"

I've wasted so much on people who did gently caress all. And I get I'm the bad guy. But I've been let down by the people who have routinely taken my money to help. I dunno. gently caress it. I'm just angry. I tried. I wasted thousands of dollars and seen a dozen or more therapists and psychs and people just will be like "what an rear end in a top hat" I honestly tried. I did what I could I asked for help. And every professional failed me. But it's my fault. I wasn't in the best space to bootstrap. So I'm angry. Sorry.

Remember pancake cat?

You're also extremely apologetic, which I assume you already know. You don't need to be though.
Just because someone like me calls you out for being aggressive, it doesn't mean you need to be sorry about it. It's just who you are right now at this point in your life.
If anyone ever asks you to apologize, tell them to go gently caress themselves. They are frauds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Therapists don't have every answer for every human problem. Our brains are dumb as hell. poo poo is hosed yo

But seriously, what did you expect them to "do" exactly? All they can do is give you tools that have proven to work for others and explain to you how to use them.

It sucks and I hate that it hasn't worked for you but it certainly doesn't make them frauds. IF you've honestly tried tens of different techniques and they've failed then you are an unfortunate difficult case

Psychology is an infant science