Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Lady Militant posted:

the idea only middle class and rich people have things they care about and take care of is downright sociopathic as well as completely a-historical. having a cats or dogs wasn't some massive extravagance or pure exercise in cold blooded logic. they have been a part of our journey throughout history as friends/companions helping us as we help them. stop projecting your own inability to connect with other living things on people lol

lol I have pets. but historically poor people had working animals, rich people hand "fancy animals" which means they just fancied them and could keep them without them having to do a job.

modern pet ownership, unless you live on a farm, takes after the old rich and upper middle class. and pet ownership is still a sign of being middle class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Pnas dot org

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Trump Intensifies: "We have to sue the dinosaurs!" *Gives banks Trillions of dollars*

Asteroid! Why not done?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MysteriousStranger posted:

lol I have pets. but historically poor people had working animals, rich people hand "fancy animals" which means they just fancied them and could keep them without them having to do a job.

modern pet ownership, unless you live on a farm, takes after the old rich and upper middle class. and pet ownership is still a sign of being middle class.

This is definitely why people keep two huskies crated eighteen hours a day in their 1br

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

twoday posted:

This is getting cooler by the day

thanks!

it's a low effort site, but it still feels good building something

again, if anyone wants to write something on it, or has suggestions what I can add/change just let me know.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

seattle plague rat posted:

if i were assaulted by a pteradon at some fantastical 'jurassic world' i would simply sue the dinosaur in a court of law

yes they are gigntic superpredators but theyw ould be no match for our modern judicial system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o93sn_5_svY

etalian has issued a correction as of 20:06 on May 10, 2020

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Lady Militant posted:

the idea only middle class and rich people have things they care about and take care of is downright sociopathic as well as completely a-historical. having a cats or dogs wasn't some massive extravagance or pure exercise in cold blooded logic. they have been a part of our journey throughout history as friends/companions helping us as we help them. stop projecting your own inability to connect with other living things on people lol

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

kazr posted:

Art Laffer lol the guy that has been hilariously wrong with every idea he has ever had

He's been extremely correct about his actual goal: destruction of democratic government and strengthening of the aristocracy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

shovelbum posted:

This is definitely why people keep two huskies crated eighteen hours a day in their 1br

Dogs are very bad pets

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

MysteriousStranger posted:

What society and time period this is an extremely broad claim

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

dogs still serve a role in home security in all but the wealthiest households

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

bacteriophages are so creepy looking

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Epic High Five posted:

dogs still serve a role in home security in all but the wealthiest households

:lol: people think that, but dogs are too stupid to determine friends from foes.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
poor people didn’t have pets they just had dogs to help them with their livestock and cats to kill pests but obviously they were too poor to actually care about their animals duh

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

twoday posted:

bacteriophages are so creepy looking

Oh yeah, I remember this Star Fox boss

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Me, a braindead "leftist": wow a lot of rich people have pets, hmmm, maybe pets are evil bourgeoisie affectations

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Korea has waiter robots to make restaurant social distancing possible.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Dogs are boomer pets, HTH

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
wonder what the overlap between "pets are rich decadence" and the irrational classist/racist hatred of pitbulls is

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Steve Yun posted:

yet sadly they were infected by the americana restaurant virus

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Pets aren't innately bad but way too many people have them in situations they shouldn't and I'm not talking about like oh my God how can a homeless man have a dog he can't even get it dog MRIs or whatever I mean middle class ppl

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

this would never work here, you can’t leave a robot a fake tip with Jesus money

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
i think pets are cool and good

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

shovelbum posted:

really that requires a yard and and a stay at home, ie it's middle class. just because I can buy something doesn't mean I have the spare time or money to fund it. you can totally have pets you can't support on your income or lifestyel

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1259555602499547137?s=20

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

wonder what the overlap between "pets are rich decadence" and the irrational classist/racist hatred of pitbulls is

It's incredibly socially acceptable to have large aggressive dangerous unsocialized dogs in the US

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
good luck building a movement with the message that pets are bourgeoisie decadence

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 20:22 on May 10, 2020

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lol the guy up front looks just like me.. owned!

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Made my updates.

And why the hell not.

:2bong:

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Phi230 posted:

I grew up in an area where a lot of my working class neighbours had pitbulls (or more likely some other breed of bull-terrier that people just assumed pitbull). I also ended up at a middle-class high school right around peak pitbull panic.

I heard so much "they just breed them for fighting" poo poo. I never heard of a single underground dog fighting arena in my area, and everyone I knew with a bull-terrier, no matter how much of a hard man they were, would have been as horrified as anyone at the idea of intentionally harming their family pet.

The one prosecuted case of dog-fighting animal cruelty in my town was a middle-class 'gentleman' farmer who had the land and the time to organise it.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Sacrifice to keep Deutsche Bank afloat and the ECJ away!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Admiral Ray posted:

my costco was entirely out of non-breaded chicken today. there wasn't even a spot for it in the coolers or freezers.

Have people considered just not eating meat

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

shovelbum posted:

Pets aren't innately bad but way too many people have them in situations they shouldn't and I'm not talking about like oh my God how can a homeless man have a dog he can't even get it dog MRIs or whatever I mean middle class ppl

except the actual middle class is the upper 20% of the country. either dual parents hauling in enough to afford daily in house care giver, with the yard, two cars, and cash to spare. or one parent doing all that as well. Everyone else is working class or poor but taught by society to think that they are middle class. when nancy pelosi cracked that they had to keep the tax cuts for 200k to one million up because that was the middle class she was telling a truth most people don't want to accept.

also the homeless dog is a working animal and they are often (at least here) given animals

shovelbum posted:

It's incredibly socially acceptable to have large aggressive dangerous unsocialized dogs in the US

this

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BMX Ninja posted:

I grew up in an area where a lot of my working class neighbours had pitbulls (or more likely some other breed of bull-terrier that people just assumed pitbull). I also ended up at a middle-class high school right around peak pitbull panic.

I heard so much "they just breed them for fighting" poo poo. I never heard of a single underground dog fighting arena in my area, and everyone I knew with a bull-terrier, no matter how much of a hard man they were, would have been as horrified as anyone at the idea of intentionally harming their family pet.

The one prosecuted case of dog-fighting animal cruelty in my town was a middle-class 'gentleman' farmer who had the land and the time to organise it.

If you give it an hour or so, you'll see the "bred for war in the pits of the ghetto" takes popping up here shortly

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

anyway, from my limited reading of that IHME model, and modelling in general, it's going to keep failing worse each day since it ID'd the peak as already being in the past (mid april i think) and the functional form is to decrease to 0 after the peak was reached. so no matter what the real data looks like, it wants to crash to 0 ASAP, getting more desperate with each passing day.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

BMX Ninja posted:

we had doberman mania, rotweiller mania, and german shepard mania as well

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You never hear about cats being bred for fighting now do you?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lpzie posted:

anyway, from my limited reading of that IHME model, and modelling in general, it's going to keep failing worse each day since it ID'd the peak as already being in the past (mid april i think) and the functional form is to decrease to 0 after the peak was reached. so no matter what the real data looks like, it wants to crash to 0 ASAP, getting more desperate with each passing day.

That date a month ago is still the single highest death in their timeframe, right? I'm curious if the whole model will shift over when we finally break that number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

sorry, sir. roll up your sleeve. for the good of society, you are being euthanized. you gave it your best shot, but obviously, it's not working for anyone.